Notes: No Longer Produced.

BrandCarroll P. J. & Co. Ltd.
Blended ByP.J. Carrol & Co. Ltd.
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Virginia
CutShag
CountryIE
Strength
Very Mild, Medium
Taste
Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)

Old Road is a strange Irish mixture. I must admit that this is the first Irish I have tried... ever, so when I say strange topping, some of you might nod in recognition.

However, what I could detect, was some very high quality VA, a little cavendish and a slight hint of smokiness from the almost non-present Latakia. The unusual sweet topping, which reminds me of Muscat Wine and English Toffee, is very much present during the first third of the bowl and moderates further down the smoke. Second third is dominated by the red and orange VA; the Latakia stays well in the background.

At the end the Latakia is more present and the topping is almost unnoticeable, still the VA is dominating. The cut is long strips; shag. Old Road burns even and well, does not hurt your palate no matter how hard you puff and leaves a fine greyish ash. It packs enough nicotine to satisfy me - I smoke RY, St. Bruno and other powerful blends, so if you fancy a traditional Irish mixture which is light on the Latakia and medium to strong in the nicotine-department, give this one a go, that is, if you can find a tin. This baby went out of production in the mid-eighties.

I simply love it!

Jakob, Denmark

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My gosh, what a tobacco! Shag cut Virginia with body building lightly flavored black Cavendish (flavored with what I don't know, but it was goooood!) The Latakia was in the background but noticed. The tin was a 1980s model and the leaf within was beautifully aged. I called the guy who sold this to my and offered him double what I paid if he had anymore. He didn't, and I have not seen another tin of this in at least a decade but am still dreaming about it.