Notes: No Longer Produced.

BrandCarroll P. J. & Co. Ltd.
Blended ByP.J. Carrol & Co. Ltd.
ContentsCavendish, Virginia, Latakia
CutShag
CountryIE
Strength
Taste
Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

Old Road is a strange Irish mixture. I must admit that this is the first Irish I have tried... ever, so when I say strange topping, some of you might nod in recognition.

However, what I could detect, was some very high quality VA, a little cavendish and a slight hint of smokiness from the almost non-present Latakia. The unusual sweet topping, which reminds me of Muscat Wine and English Toffee, is very much present during the first third of the bowl and moderates further down the smoke. Second third is dominated by the red and orange VA; the Latakia stays well in the background.

At the end the Latakia is more present and the topping is almost unnoticeable, still the VA is dominating. The cut is long strips; shag. Old Road burns even and well, does not hurt your palate no matter how hard you puff and leaves a fine greyish ash. It packs enough nicotine to satisfy me - I smoke RY, St. Bruno and other powerful blends, so if you fancy a traditional Irish mixture which is light on the Latakia and medium to strong in the nicotine-department, give this one a go, that is, if you can find a tin. This baby went out of production in the mid-eighties.

I simply love it!