Delightful aromatic with a wonderful cherry note.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsCavendish
FlavoringCherry
Packaging50g Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste

2.9
JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)

This aro Toby is an example to me of how important this website has been in my "development" as a pipe smoker. Many of our compadre's have eloquently written of how much cleaner, how much more....authentic ....this blend is with regard to its cherry flavor, than the myriad of other such blends out there.

I have no other cherry aros of which to compare Top Black Cherry to, but that's the beauty of heeding the advice of others-we can learn from their trials w/o replication of disappointment ensued.

I find this blend shines in a Meer-to the point that I shan't depart from the combination. It's rich, smooth, cool, and it tastes of dark dark cherries -which have a subdued sort of sweetness, not of bright-red balls in light syrup.

I do agree that TBC does require tact in its preparation-with G&H aros I have learned to pull out 4-5 bowls worth of baccy, reseal the plastic and nestle that sticky cud back in its tin, then air out the loose black leaf for 6-8 hours in my 50% humidity home. And even then it can be a bear to get stoked.

It's nice to know I'm enjoying blends from them that have recd the same reception by like-minded fellows (as well as untold well-rounded ladies) for round a bout 2 centuries now. It's nice to have that comfort in an otherwise short-sighted society. Fantastic in every way!

Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

One of the better cherry blends on the market, and that's saying something, since there's only a few of them that I like. The cherry is mild, and I got the barest hint of vanilla. It may be a little moist, but it worked for me with just a little drying time. It was lightly toasty when I over dried it, and the flavor was subdued, so I recommend leaving some moisture in the tobacco. I did find I had to drink some fluid afterward because it does stick around in your mouth for a bit. It costs a little more than many cherry blends, but if you're into that flavor, you may find this is worth the extra expense.

Krosham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Krosham (11)

Not a lot of aromatics make my favorite list. I had grown tired of trying the majority of awful cherry blends out there. I have to say I enjoy Hobbit's weed in its sweet cherry/vanilla candy presentation. This stuff is not cherry candy...it really is more like real cherry (i.e. the fruit). The tobacco itself is top notch and it shows. It seems like most cherry blends out there use lesser quality tobaccos because they know the casing will drown out most of the tobacco flavor anyway. Not the case with this stuff...good quality leaf and good quality casing makes the whole thing sing beautifully. A cherry blend benchmark for sure.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This came with a high recommendation so my anticipation was matching the reviews. Upon opening the tin my expectations were diminished just by the smell. For me the tobacco has to be enticing enough and this was not the case with Top Black Cherry. I'm most sure that if I were to smell this blend without knowing what it was that cherry would not come immediately to my mind. My brother and I smoked it down and we both found that it was hard to keep it lit and both of us noted that it packs a stronger punch in the nicotine category than most aromatics I've come across.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 10;

Raw Score = 59;

Rated Percentage = 98%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, nice light Black Cherry Flavor, this is a very pleasant smoke.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I usually smoke at least a few hundred grams of something before I review it. If I don't like something, I don't smoke it. As a result, I write very few bad reviews. (Well, my reviews themselves may suck, but I don't often give one or two star ratings).

That said, I've only had half a bowl of this. Cherry aromatics aren't my thing. But, if you're into them, this is one of the better ones, and that's why I'm reviewing it.

Top Black has decent cherry flavor on top of stewed tobacco. My sample is crispy dry. (bulk). Tiny black kibbled tobacco. Burns alright with no bite, but frankly, no flavor either. I definitely don't dig the room note, though. I could see this really turning someone's crank, if that someone's a cherry buff. I'm not. Two stars.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

There are very few aromatics I can tolerate these days. I've been developing a relationship with a lovely lady who claims to like the smell of "a cherry pipe". Once I ascertained she meant the tobacco and not the wood, I warily shopped for a non-drugstore, vanilla-free, non-synthetic (maraschino: benzaldehyde) topped blend and chose this for trying out on her.

Well, one tin later, I still haven't. I really, really enjoy this stuff and smoked it up at home before I saw her again. My objectives were met: it is definitely not drug store pouch stuff, natural tasting (cherries don't actually taste like candy) and rather yummy in its own way. It's what I always thought smoking a hookah would be like. It can be smoked hard (but don't) and it won't bite. The nicotine is subdued and barely noticed. And although I try to discern cherries specifically in the room note, it just seems sweet and un-tobacco-like. I can see why women would like it.

I dedicated a large, perfectly serviceable cheap briar pipe to smoke this, assuming it would forever be scented and I chose well. Bigger is better for keeping it lit while also keeping it cool; it does have a moist texture (yes: fudge brownie crumbs), so drying is advisable. But not too much, the taste is carried in the steam, like many aromatics (Mephisto). There seemed a trace of soap in the tin. I'm not a fan of the tin smell, but it disappears once lit.

A much needed change of pace and a very social tobacco. The next order will be bulk.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Overwhelming Medium Overwhelming Overwhelming

This blend had a taste of old rotten cough medicne and dust. YUCK!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (92)

I don't smoke this blend a whole lot but I usually have at least one tin on hand, as I do enjoy it occasionally. Top Black Cherry is quite moist from the tin and I give it a good hour of dry time prior to loading my pipe. Like most aromatics, don't smoke this stuff too fast or the few subtleties that it does have will be gone and the flavor will become overly bitter.

Once dried a bit, this is an exceptionally smooth smoke with a subtle semi-sweet tobacco flavor, deftly enhanced by a hint of tart dark fruit on the finish. I say dark fruit because the flavoring doesn't scream of the typical artificial candied cough syrup taste that one finds in other "cherry" aromatics. If anything, the top note reminds me of the once popular Heering liqueur.

No real surprises here, both in the fact that this is a simple yet enjoyable flavored black Cavendish and that it's just one more high-quality product from Gawith Hoggarth. If there's a blend in the genre capable of giving cherry pipe tobacco a good name, this is it.

Pipe Used: Cob

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I took a six month hiatus from pipe smoking. When I picked up the pipe again my tolerance was gone and my need to smoke heavy English mixtures had dissipated as well. I decided to purchase a few aromatics, thinking I could appreciate the lighter leaf and actually taste some of the flavorings. I picked Top Black Cherry because Gawith and Hoggarth has always had a high standard of quality and I trusted that if anyone could do an aromatic properly, it would be them.

The blend is near jet black, the smell emanating from the plastic bag nestled inside the tin is strong, not quite the cherry note that I expected, it has an almost medicinal quality to it. However you describe it, the scent carries perfectly to the smoke, and the flavor lasts to the dottle. Top Black Cherry, though damp from the casing, lights readily and stays lit throughout, without a bit of gurgle.

I suppose I got exactly what was promised but the flavor isn't for me. I miss the heavier tobaccos and would love an aromatic that delivers a solid nicotine punch, but I guess that's what the Lakeland blends are for, albeit their floral characteristics which can sometimes tire the palate.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (76)

I am not a big aro fan or really know that much about them but this one tasted pretty good and not too chemically. After about half the pipe i find the flavours a bit much, but as i siad, i not used to aro's. Base tobacco is good quality.

Mostly dark black ribbon-chunks with a bag aroma of actual cherries. As one who has loathed the artificial smell and taste of your basic cherry aromatics, I had to admit that this was a good start. The tobacco needed to be dried a bit before it would hold a light, but it was by no means goopy. Room note was a bit "aromatic-y"... that is, artificial and designed to please non-smokers.

The flavor was steady up and down the bowl of a moderately sweetened virginia tobacco. The blend didn't scream "cherry" but it was there... a natural cherry flavor rather than a frosted pop tart cherry or cough syrup cherry like most cherry blends. The tobacco didn't grow harsh or bite, although it did require a few more relights than I like. I did not notice any abundance of nicotine with this one, unlike most G&H blends. And ok, the flavor wasn't stellar and it left a waxy tasting film in my mouth after smoking, but this is how to make an aromatic without having the sauce strangle the tobacco taste. Aromatic blenders should take note of this one. 2 stars for my personal taste, but 4 stars for "build quality". If you're looking for a cherry taste in a tobacco blend, you could do a lot worse. As a matter of fact, I don't think you could do better.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

After having my tin around for an occasional smoke almost a year now, I decided to review it. To start, I need to say that I am not an aromatic pipe smoker. I prefer straight tobacco flavor over aromatics. I do try aromatics regularly in hopes of finding that one special aromatic that I'll add to my rotation.

The merits of this smoke is that it actually has a good flavor that isn't chemical tasting. It will not bite even if you smoke it hard and fast. To date, this is the finest aromatic that I have found. It is top quality. I will keep some on hand, however I only smoke a bowl about once every month. That isn't often enough to claim it is in my rotation. But often enough to say I like it. I would smoke it more often if the topping was milder and the strength greater. I may experiment mixing it with some of my straight blends to see what happens.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Tried 3 bowls was unable to finish any of them Lane TK6 is much better only my opinion.

So many cherry blends on the market lack real cherry flavor. They tend to range from downright awful to really great copies of artificial cherry flavor. As expected from GH, the cherry flavor really tastes better than both ends of that spectrum. The only negative is that it tends to coat my mouth a bit, but that is likely a body chemistry issue. Top Cherry is a good aromatic to venture into for non-aromatic smokers wanting to venture off into something aromatic. If you are a fan of cherry flavored aromatics, this should be on your shopping list.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

From a company that makes some of the best flake tobaccos on planet Earth comes a cherry blend that does not suck. The cherry comes off more as cherry incense to me. It even has some nicotene that makes it even better. I purchased this blend in bulk and it arrived in perfect smoking moisture. Smokes easy and has that good black cherry taste, only in an incence sorta way. Those around you will certainly enjoy the aroma.

Update; This s not your average Cherry tobacco. The nicotene will pop your eyes open. I forgot my daily smoke today and had this in my lunch box. I'm starting to really like it more and more. Just caution on the nicotene.

Aromatic Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromatic Al (8)
Mild to Medium Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Top Black Cherry is the best cherry aromatic I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. The black and brown, heavily fermented Cavendish tobaccos most likely began life as top quality Virginia leaf, based on the decent tobacco flavor profile which provides ample foundation for the heavy, black cherry liquor casing which hits you like a ton of bricks before you even open the inner pouch. In fact, you can smell it before you crack open the tin. The tin aroma carries forth beautifully in the room note and smoke flavor.

To me the flavor and aroma seem very natural even tho it is very STRONG. I don't understand how anyone can rate this as having "medium" flavoring. They must have dried it out completely, or received it dry. My tins arrived very moist with the inner bags sealed tight. I like it straight out of the tin even tho it's a tad drippy this way. And forget about smoking anything else in the same pipe.

I enjoy maybe three bowls of this 'dessert' each week, and love it! Performs best very tightly packed in a deep/narrow, chimney-type bowl shape. Lights easily and burns well.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (135)

I was a bit hesitant in getting a cherry blend. But with this being from a top notch blender, I figured I'd give it a whirl. Upon first popping the tin of this blend, some would definitely let this dry for quite a while. Right out of the tin, at least for me, it lit very easily and stayed lit all the way to the bottom. The room note is great. This should get some compliments from those around you. It burns nicely to the bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended.

Mick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mick (10)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

As a predominantly aromatic smoker of Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish, I thought TBC would be a nice change of pace,while still sticking to my favoured style. TBC is milder than I expected, but still a pleasant tobacco if you are into the aromatics. This would be an ideal blend for non aromatic smokers who wished to venture, ever so hesitantly, into trying an aromatic. I ordered 50 grammes (2oz) of this one as any more than that would have incurred serious customs tax, if not for that, I would gladly go and order a bulk amount of this tobacco. Having said that though, I doubt it would ever please me enough to replace my standard fair of BR Cherry Cav, as I prefer a stronger taste to my aromatics, but it's a pleasant tobacco none the less. Although the tobacco appears wet, it is still reasonably dry to the touch, but still doesn't stay as well lit as I thought it should. Perhaps it's wetter than it feels. Perhaps I need to just modify my technique for this tobacco, but it is the only real negative in my books and only a small one at that.

Russtafarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russtafarian (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was very wet coming out of the tin and took some drying out before my pipe would stay lit. It has a mild note of cherry, not as much as I expected to taste. The tobacco is good and deep for such a light flavored smoke... i will try other cherries before coming back to this one, still worth a shot though.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

In the tin, the tobacco is in a sealed plastic bag; unless you live in the desert, first order of business is to remove the baccy from that and sit in directly in the tin, or it'll never dry. This is seriously moist and sticky when freshly opened. Jet black with some hints of brown, a very potent cherry smell, a little medicinal. Dr Pepper and Dandelion & Burdock (root beer) fans will approve. Or should I say Cherry Coke? I've been smoking it for a while now, and when I let the chosen pipes rest for a day or so and then smell the bowl, I get: cherries. Not cherry flavoured tobacco, but just cherry. This one is very cherrysome. Cherry fans will cherrysh it. Cherry haters will hate it. Did I mention it tastes like cherries? Not very strong vis-a-vis Lady Nicotianna; Lady Cherry and Queen Cavendish are very much in attendance. A pain in the arse to keep lit because it's so moist - maybe six months of drying out will help that (or maybe a spell in the microwave as Mr Big says). I don't mind the relights, though, because I like it a lot when it's actually lit. Uniform flavour from beginning of smoke to end, and that flavour is: apple. Er, I mean cherry! Cherry it is. It's black, it's cavendish, it's topped with cherry. No mystery here.

The verdict: Cherry-tastic!

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening a fresh tin it looked and felt like someone stuffed a fresh brownie in there ! The tin aroma was not pleasant, smelled like snuff chewing tobacco, not what I expected, not a strong cherry scent maybe some" Lakeland floral" in there. I left the tin open as the moisture level was very high . After 8 hours the tin note improved, the chewing tobacco ammonia was gone and I was almost ready to try this. I still needed to dry the tobacco more ,into the microwave with a bowlful for 7 seconds. Here we go ( did I mention I'm not a big aromatic smoker): It packed and lit nice, "Lakeland Floral" with just a hint of cherry/berry, no mostly "Lakeland Floral", G&H buys "LF" by the tanker truck. Wow, does this burn nice and slow , no goop, stays lit with just a touch of sipping. I asked myself why can't other tobaccos burn this well? About a 1/4 way into the bowl I started to pick up some sour cherry flavor but it's still mostly "LF". The tobacco took on a mellow sweet caramel flavor about half way thru the bowl. It now reminds me of "Petersons Connoisseurs Choice" with a touch of LF. Half way into the Cob and we need a relight, I detect some spice/bite . I relit and tamped , a little bitter on the relight. All but the slightest scent of LF left. Last 1/4, just Cavendish left, seems to have an aftertaste of snuff, wow, what a ride. Would I buy again, maybe to have around for public smoking, is that allowed anymore?

EastEndPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EastEndPipes (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Upon opening the tin the aroma is heavenly. The cherry flavor is genuine with just the right degree of flavor. Not at all synthetic or phony like some I've tried. The flavor lasts throughout the smoke. It may need a little drying out before packing but I've found it to be perfect right out of the tin. It burns really well right down to the bottom of the bowl with no relights. I've tried many cherry blends and in my opinion this one is the best.

Ixtlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ixtlan (18)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I indulge in this from time to time. The Black Cherry taste is very strong and somewhat sweet. Drying is a must for this when fresh. Will steam burn your tongue easily until it dries out. It is very pleasant and a great change of pace. I rate this as excellent when a Black Cherry is desired. Treat for the Evening and goes great with a nice cup of strong Joe.

rattler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattler (9)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After trying every cherry flavored tobacco I could get my hands on I have to say this is the best of the bunch. It has a nice authentic cherry flavor. It also has a noticeable amount of nicotine.

Cherry tobacco that tastes like real cherries. What more do I need to say?

bswails1384 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bswails1384 (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Of all the aromatics I have tried to date this one is by far my favorite. It is much stronger in flavor and taste than most others and the room note is amazingly pleasant.

It is a little on the moist side and a little difficult to keep lit at first but as the tin is opened and dried a bit it gets much easier to keep lit. There is a bit of goopyness so regular pipe cleaning is necessary.

I intend to keep this one in my rotation.

oaksky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oaksky (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have tried both the tinned and bulk. This has become my favorite aromatic that pleases the wife too! (Always a good note) The bulk was not quite as wet as the tinned, so doesn't have to dry out as much to smoke.

Smokes much cooler than most aromatics that I have tried. Seems to be very consistent from start to finish.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)

This is almost totally black in color; very few brownish specks. It is not stoved to blackness, rather fermented to blackness. The aroma out of the tin is more of a cherry vanilla to me vs. plain cherry. Mine was too moist initially and smoked very harsh, however it smoked very cool after allowing it to air dry.

It burns with no tongue bite and smells/tastes more like vanilla while burning. It does have a tendency to get wet toward the end of the smoke (maybe I need to dry it out some more). It seems mild on the nicotine side.

This is a very enjoyable smoke! It definitely has that all-day smoke potential.

I'm going to give it 3-stars instead of 4, only because it doesn't really taste like cherry to me...I think cherry vanilla would be a more appropriate name.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well I have always liked well done aromatics and this is one of the best I have ever tried. It is a pitch black tobacco which worried me. I have tried simular looking tobaccos and found them to burn wet plus they always seemed to be touched with vanilla. Well this had no wetness upon lighting and stayed lit with no problem for me. The taste to me is pretty much a good tobacco with a flick of cherry here and there. The room note to me leaned to a baked cherry flavor/scent. Rather dark maybe a lil spiced very decent and it did not scorch my tongue. This burned rather cool for me. Plan to buy more for when I want a refined cool burning aromatic.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm not an aromatic smoker. Through and through, I prefer latakia, orientals, VA, burley and perique on occasion.

That being said, I love G&H's strong nicotine-punch tobaccos and have become accustomed to the floral smell, as a result of trying to focus on its funerary aspects. I thus ordered TBC to check it out because of my respect for the brand.

I'm usually off-put by aromatics because of the chemical residue and the number of times I must run a cleaner through the stem and bowl in the course of a smoke.

Thus I chose a small, low-grade drugstore briar and triple-layer loaded it with top black cherry.

The taste - not just the smell - is a pleasant cherry sweetness. The chemical bite is nearly non-existent. What impresses me the most is that I'm halfway through the bowl and haven't had to sop of the chem-scent once! No boiling gurgling as I put the briar near my ear, either.

Bravo!

That being said, the taste of tobacco is difficult to pinpoint. My next experiment will be to combine this with some Latakia and VAs as I seek the ultimate aromatic-nonaromatic hybrid for public adoration.

Images evoked include an undead cannibal 4'10" tall lass, stranded on a deserted island, forced to eat tropical fruits while imaging brains of phantasmal unfortunates.

CTPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTPiper (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a great cherry tobacco, though a bit pricey. It's hard to find a cherry that doesn't bite and this is one. Smells great in the bag, smells great in the room. One charring light is all it takes. No goop left in the pipe after you enjoy this fine aromatic. G&H has a winner in Top Black Cherry!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the standard by which all cherry blends should be judged. In short, you will be hard pressed to find a better cherry tobacco outside of Cornell & Diehl, who offers a similar product at a substantially lower price..

The tobacco, a cased black cavendish, is at perfect humidity right out of the tin. It packs and lights easily and burns without producing the goop that are the trademark of most aromatics. There is no bite to this blend.

The flavor is definitely black cherry. Not the cough syrup flavor of Lane and Altadis cherry products, but a pure, natural cherry flavor that blends well with the tobacco.

Cherry tobacco smokers should certainly give this one a try. However, it is overpriced thus only 3 stars. Cornell & Diehl offers a better product at half the cost of this tobacco.

Otony Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Otony (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well another cherry that falls flat. While this tobak certainly isn't the disaster that others are, it doesn't raise the bar all that much over a drugstore cherry weed.

True, it smokes well after getting it lit, which is a trick in it self, but while there is a somewhat decent tobacco flavor the cherry topping is just not very well done. It isn't the cough syrup mess that most cherries have, but it simply was not my cup of tea.

I am beginning to believe that as aromatics go, cherry is a difficult, if not impossible flavor to achieve.

My opinion only, if you enjoy it, puff away!

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just finished my fifth bowl of this tobacco, and much like my reaction to this companies blend Bob's Chocolate Flake...all I can say is, WOW! I have NEVER enjoyed a cherry aromatic blend as much as I am enjoying this tobacco. Most cherry blends I have tried have been dry and hot, leaving my mouth charred and needing skin grafts...but not this fine blend. It is very moist out of the tin and did require a few relights, but other than that, a very delicious topping that I personally feel is not overpowering at all, I could taste both casing and tobacco all the way down the bowl as I puffed, no tonguebite and no nasty aftertaste. A stronger blend than most cherry blend smokers would be used to, but that is another plus for me...and another WOW!...everyone around you will love this one...I recieved many compliments on the room note as soon as I began smoking this...yet another plus...Highly Recommended!!

===UPDATE 5-24-06=== This blend just gets better and better!! I have figured out what this most reminds me of while smoking it..China Black variety Black Cherry Tea!! Absolutely fantastic!! The flavor comes through all the way down the bowl. If there were a five star rating available, this blend would get it!!

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Although I normally don't venture into the aromatic world, as the outside temperature rose, I decided to try this one and ordered one tin. The black cavendish has a delightful cherry tin aroma but is slightly moister than I prefer. With drying, I obtained a more uniform, effortless smoke with no impact on the taste. Although the taste of this blend is a nice mix of not too sweet cherry and toasted cavendish, not much tobacco flavor comes thru. The topping infects bowls and spoils the taste of other tobaccos so dedicate a pipe for this one. This blend is a giant step above prior cherry blends that I've tried but I'm still not a aromatic convert.

Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Okay, okay. Yes, this is a good high quality aromatic, it is not too moist, burns relatively cool, does not gunkify your pipe. I just don't like cherry anymore. The cherry in this blend is darker and not quite as sweet as some others I have tried before and I can not discern a difference in appearance, aroma, or taste from "Kendal Cherry" by the same Blending House. IMO the difference is only in the marketing. Pricewise is average US$6.50 for 2 oz. typical.

rating 4.5 out of 5 points for a Aromatic. Try it, it might be your "Holy Grail"

The tobacco is very dark and a little damp. Just so that I did not flash off all the topping, I smoked this "as is." It had a nice dark cherry tin note and not chemical smell.

The first couple of puffs were a litle medicinal to my palate, but it setled down quickly. It was a pleasant smoke that was mostly the black cherry flavor at first and not much on the tobacco side. It required several relights. There is not much depth or complexity here. It leaves an aftertaste in your mouth which could be a plus or a minus. This was neither here nor there for me. The cherry flavor stayed as I smoked through the bowl, and the tobacco came through a little more in the last half.

This one is a little hard to rate. It is the best cherry blend I have tried, and so maybe compared to others in its genre, it deserves a 4. I am not likely to buy more, but it is pleasant and I enjoy smoking it. The cost is high.