The "good ol' boys" from the Tennessee hills know how to have a good time and live life to its fullest. They enjoy good music, partial to the
Nashville Sound, huntin', fishin', car racing and pretty women. But they also enjoy a pipe filled with good tobacco while enjoying a cold beverage at their favorite joint, The Rusty Hinge Bar and Grille. The old fella who runs the Rusty Hinge came up with this blend back in the days when Hank was king of the jukebox. It's been a house favorite ever since! An all day Virginia/Perique
with just the right amount of spicy Louisiana Perique.

BrandTavern Tobacco Co.
ContentsVirginia, Perique
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

This tobacco is similar to GLP's Stonehenge, so if you liked Stonehenge, you will likely dig Rusty Hinge. It's not a dead ringer, but certainly in the same ballpark. I like this tobacco quite a bit, but the earlier comment about letting it dry out for a time before smoking it is accurate. My only complaint is that the good folks at Knoxville should take the time to put a label on each tin, even if you buy it in bulk to get the discount. Otherwise, you get plain white tins.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I picked some of this stuff up at the Kansas City show and must say it's not to bad. Not as sophisticated as 633, Escudo, or LGF, then again I'm not sure it was ever meant to be. This is a simple, straight forward flake that kind of reminds me a bit of a cross between Haddo's (stronger) and 2015 (weaker). Perhaps not polished, but nonetheless very tasty and good with a cold beer. Curiously this was offered along with some other new blends, most noticeably a tonquin flavored Va flake by Samuel Gawith known as Grey Man Flake. For some reason however I can't find it on the Knox website, nor any other for that matter. Perhaps the best of the new tobaccos I have tried lately, try it if you can find it.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

Another fine tobacco from the Tavern label. Tasty broken flakes that packed easily, needing very little dry time for an smooth smoke. I thought there was a whiff of a topping such as chocolate (though very, very mild). Whatever it is, my tin was quickly smoked and thoroughly enjoyed. I found the Perique to be blended nicely with the Virginias.

Another of my trials from Knox Cigar in TN but this one is only available from them tinned. The dark flakes were partially rubbed out and as with others in this line, moister than my ideal when the tin was opened. Based on my prior experiences, I believe some drying improved the lighting and burning rate and no relights were usually needed and a cool smoke resulted. This blend is made by G & H but I found no soapy, Lakeland taste. They kicked the Perique up a notch from their Samuel Gawith blended Laurel Flake to the point that the VA influence is hardly evident. "Just the right amount" as indicated in their description is relative to the smoker. Although not a strong tobacco, I found this blend too heavy with Perique for an all day smoke and greater than McClelland 2015 which remains one of my favorites of this group along with Caledonian 499 and Reiner's Long Golden.