An unusual, well modulated blend of red and gold Virginias, balanced with perique.

Notes: Originally blended in England.

BrandAstley's
Manufactured ByKohlhase & Kopp
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

The red Virginia is mildly dark fruit sweet and kind of tangy, and works well with the gold Virginia, which has a very mild sweetness with lemon/citrus tang, and a few grassy notes. The spice and raisins from the perique is condimental, but adds a needed dimension. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Burns a little too well, so puff slowly or risk a little bite. Has a consistent flavor all the way through. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried alot of tobaccos in the past twenty years. Many clones - many funky - many good - many bad. This one, though, just doesn't fit in any of these categories other than "funky" perhaps...

In the "olden days" one of my absolute favourites had to be the Murray version of Dunhill's Light Flake. It had that somewhat obscure - and very pleasant - sweet and sour, honeydew, clove-like topping I haven't had the pleasure to stumble upon ever since.

I asked my rather extensive network for a tin of Light Flake - just for old times sake, but one of Denmark's most respected reviewers told me, that the topping disappeard with age. Same thing with Simmons Sixty-Three (which had somehow the same style).

"Try Astley's No 2." he told me. "it has the same topping".

He was right. Upon opening the tin, I was back - totally back as in synesthetically, scary back - a stupid kid, age sixteen standing outside the kiosk at the train station i my town of birth with a small blue and white tin of DLF. Boy was I in for a treat of what??

Pause

Yes this smells like DLF out of the tin, and the red an golden virginias look promising. But in a pipe and when lit; we're talking a whole new experience here! First of all. This stuff is loaded with peppery perique. Secondly and probably most important: No. 2 is a wicked, wicked clove-bomb! In DLF it was balanced and subdued during smoking, but in No 2, we're talking almost asian clove cigarettes.

Seriously folks: the clove topping, be it naturally og synthetically (eugenol), actually numbed my tongue and palate. Dentists use it as a mild anaesthetic, and apparantly so does Astley. This was a very, very weird experience in a pipe smoking perspective.

If you haven't tried it - do it. If you did - do it again. It's a hoot!

Numb tongue over and out.

-Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark-

Pipe Used: FRB Bulldog

Purchased From: Vinspecialisten, Aarhus

Similar Blends: Dunhill Light Flake (Murray's era).

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There be just a smidgen of Perique in here, boys and girls. A nicely cut and easily lit tobacco that'll give you a blast of wonderfully sweetened Virginia flavor that'll tickle your nose and the back of your throat upon the initial lighting. The intensity settles down once the top quarter of the bowl is smoked. My major compliment is the fact that if one enjoys nicotine (and I do) but not Perique in large doses, (and I don't) then this blend hits the spot. If, on the other hand, you want a light blend with a substantial compliment of Perique, then you might want to look elsewhere.

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (11)

Astleys: "No.2 Mixture - Blend of Virginias" is an interesting blend of virginia and perique tobaccos .

Red and golden virginias finally cut in ribbon form with addition of perique. The scent when I opened the tin was the gentle aroma of raisins, figs and straw, typical natural aromas in blends in which virginia has the main role.

The ideal humidity level makes easy to light and to maintain lit the tobacco for a long smoke in the pipe .

By lighting the tobacco, the sovereignty of virginia tobacco takes the lead, light and nice aromatic. The flavors and aromas little by little are beginning to emerge. I felt "light-hearted" tasting notes of citrus, lemon, straw, and a sense of wood, always also feeling a slight sweetness, a result of the good quality virginia tobaccos in the blend. The perique appears also as the second "player", to make a successful and tasty contrast in virginia with its characteristic peppery taste.

It is light to medium in nicotine strength and it is soft and gentle to the tongue, oral and nasal cavity. It is a tobacco that can be smoked comfortable throughout the day, from the first morning coffee until after supper dinner. It leaves the bowl of the pipe without any wet or liquids and it does not dirt very much the pipe filter. The fragrance that leaves in close areas is pleasing.

I smoked the specific tobacco in many kinds of pipes filtered and unfiltered, made ​​of briar, corn cob, olive wood, pear wood and lined meerschaum. A pleasant smoking in all pipes and by smoking it in corn cobs it made it even more delicious and delightful!

I consider it a very good choice as an introduction to the Va / Per blends.

In conclusion, a remarkable and great Va / Per smoke, who does not tire and does not trouble the pipe smoker, but instead can be a companion to a relaxing and delicious pipe smoking enjoyment.

Highly Recommended!

Nice mixture of very light to moderately dark VA's - tastes like a fair amount of lemon and orange with perhaps a pinch or red, and just a touch of perique for spice. The perique saves this one from having too heavy of a leaning towards high notes for me. This is a pleasant smoking, very delicately top-noted natural VaPer with the emphasis on the Va. Ribbon cut for easy loading and cool smoking with a minimum of relights.

This misses a 4th star due to its mildness (I typically like a bit of oomph to my blends) and it's somewhat mild tendency toward tongue sizzle. I didn't find it too bitey but it was definitely headed in that direction and I had to slow down my puffing cadence to less-than-normal levels for me. Slow puffers who like a light, mild, natural VaPer should definitely check this one out. I'm not sure what to make of the reviewers that found this too heavily flavored, as I found this to be true to the spirit of the VaPer recipe... but I would recommend you try it to see where it lands for you. I'm going to pick up a few more tins for summer smoking, as it strikes me as a nice one for warmer weather.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Given its four star rating, I felt I needed to give this tobacco one more chance. So I waited until after dinner and approached it with a clean palate. The aroma in the tin reminds me of slivovitz, plum brandy, with faint musty cocoa notes of Perique, apricot preserves and fruit cake. The blend appears to be a rubbed out pressed tobacco rather than a flake, shortened strands of every brown ranging from tan to walnut with an overall attractive, medium honey color. It also seems to be of exceptionally high quality, no stems, chunks or crude bits, just soft, pliable, tempting tobacco. It is moist to the point where I thought it had been thoroughly laced with liquor, but the alcohol was not there, merely the scent. It packs easily and lights quickly. Lots of smoke, thick and substantial, the kind you can roll around in your mouth. The Virginia is there in the hint of a bite and a tingle in the nose. The Perique is there in the hint of a tang. Flavor is there in the hint of sweetness. It's all there but its not there. It's like licking a lolly made of diluted white corn syrup. I do not taste the Virginia or the Perique. The effect is there, but not the real thing. Maybe this tobacco is just too refined for my palate. All I get is a sweetness, a tingle and a tang. At the very bottom of the bowl the Virginia appeared for a brief puff or two and then it was gone. It may take some time, but I will be able to finish the tin. After all, there is nothing offensive about the blend. But I will not be buying another. I like Virginia and Perique blends that provide the flavor of Virginia and Perique. Paddy.

A very good tobacco. IMO, almost identical to Esoterica?s Dorchester. Fruity to an almost pungent extent, and captivatingly piquant, its Virginia leaf is perhaps of a less sugary variety, and the Perique a tad stronger. Other than that I don?t see any major difference. It belongs in the same category with Solani?s 633 and Peterson?s Irish Oak.

Though I find it to be of supreme quality, my love affair with this type of Va/Perique blends is still on the making, so I much prefer Astleys? straight Virginia range (N°44 in particular).

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The Virginias are soft and sweet and more breadlike than grassy, with a fruity character in the realm of peaches and pears -- as opposed to citrus. There is also a darker, raisiny bottom end (probably from the Perique, though I don't get much peppery pinch.)

Some subtle suggestion of clove, as subdued as it is ineffable, adds to the intrigue of the blend; and it complements the tobacco flavor(s) very well.

A good change of pace blend that satisfies an itch for something sweeter, with intriguing spicy subtleties; but the spice may annoy a VaPer purist.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: 2½ yrs. in the tin

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)

I absolutely love the way astley's does virginias... in my opinion they often get overlooked and overshadowed by companies like Dunhill.. #2 throws in a light but pleasant addition of perique... just right.. smokes cool.. a true medium smoke... the Virginia's are warm and earthy.. this is an all day smoke. If you like rattray's wonderful holy trinity, and you enjoy McConnell's offerings give this one a try... definitely similar yet has enough going on to stand on its own. Gonna age some. As an added note- what a great morning smoke... beautiful light lifting smoke... very gentle perique maybe a slight but well placed topping.. a gentle yet invigorating smoke.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)

this is an ok vaper...mild but without a lot of distinction. I mean i can think of a dozen Vapers I would rather have. But there is nothing wrong with it and the quality is top notch. Its mild, and a decent enough smoke if you want something you dont have to think about ...also not so much Perique. But its fine. Just not special.

I really like this one. The first thing I notice on lighting is a touch of anise in the casing. Stays throughout the smoke. The Virginias lead with nice sweet and tangy notes of citrus, grass and darker fruits. The Perique has nearly a medium presence providing more dark fruit and just enough spice to give a good tingle on the retrohale. There is a nice sweet and sour thing going on between the two components. Gets just a little spicier with a touch of earth in the second half providing some evolution. A very pleasant smoke.

Medium in body and taste. Flavoring is extremely mild. Burn is near perfect.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

Astley's - No.2 Virginia Mixture.

It makes a change, a VaPer where the Perique doesn't kick your teeth in!

When I cracked this open, I wasn't aware it were a VaPer. Call me an idiot, but from reading the label, No.2 Blend of Virginia's, I thought it would be a blend of Virginia's! But, like I said, the Perique doesn't give me a thrashing of spice: what we have here is a smoke that's predominately Virginia sweetness with a subtle character brought by the Perique. This slight piquancy doesn't have much depth, it's not plummy, or really sharp, it's just a slight amelioration. The higher proportion of the flavour belongs to the Virginia: now, this is fruity, lively, and ultimately of a very high quality. Due to the ribbons being quite coarse, it burns fairly slow and gives off a cool smoke. Another thing that differs for a VaPer is the nicotine. Normally, this type of blend can carry a large punch of N, but this struggles to get much above medium.

This is a great VaPer: a little unusual, but spectacular nevertheless.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson #03

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

I’m a big fan of Astley’s No. 44 and not a fan of No. 109. Astley’s No.2 falls squarely in the middle for me. No. 2 is light, in flavor, slightly sour in a good way and sweet. The perique is lightly added and should be enjoyable for those that prefer the lighter side of Vapers. The tanginess from the red Virginias is apparent, but not overwhelming. Unlike No. 109, I detected no bite from No. 2 that others have mentioned, but my tins are well aged so that could be a possible reason. There is a topping on this blend that I would describe as a little more than extremely mild. It’s very straightforward and isn’t a tobacco that offers much in the way of the complexity. Mild to medium in strength, No. 2 is pleasantly light and I have wondered how differently it would have presented itself had it been pressed?

Age When Smoked: 2004

hiatus67 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hiatus67 (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first VA/Per mixture and I like it very much.It is another way to taste tobacco, the mixture of bright and red Virginia with a pinch of Perique opened other possibilities. This mixture goes well with withe wine or green tea, contrasting with Full and Dark Virginia or the English blends that goes well with red wine and black tea. A very good mixture that I have tried it is a 1:1 with Latakia Flake from Robert McConnell.Now I make my own VA/Per mixtures adding a little apple cidder/honey vinegar to mix the tastes, the percent of Perique is 10-12%, higher that in No.2.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Upon opening the tin I smelled dried apples and figs, it packed easy and lit well. The peppery flavor of the Perique hit me on the first few bowls but then subsided and I haven't noticed it in several bowls hence. I am a great admirer of Virginia and Perique blends and count Dorisco Mixture as one of my all time favorite blends.

The best way to describe #2's flavor is to cut Haddo's Delight 50/50 with Old Gowrie. Astley's #2 is a good solid VaPer blend, I have finished the tin and would smoke more, but I wouldn't buy more. This blend is just too middle of the road to keep in my cabinet, I have already found too many great tobaccos to settle for O.K.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found Astley?s #2 to be a pleasant, citrusy, fruity and lighter VA/PER blend that packs well and has good burning qualities. The perique will come to the fore from time to time but not in overabundance. Others have recommended this as an all day smoke. I don?t consider it as such. This tobacco will demand your attention. If given short shrift, ignore it and you puff too fast or smoke it too often on a daily basis, ?the nip? will sneak up on you in small steps. But perhaps my tongue is more sensitive than the tongues of the previous reviewers. An excellent tobacco nonetheless as are the other Astley blends that I have tried.

I rate this tobacco 7.5 out of 10.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another in my tobacco trials of blends from pipe makers I respect, this one is a fully rubbed out but unusually uniform mixture of high quality, golden to reddish brown VAs + perique. I was packing a bowl after lunch and the fruity tin aroma was immmediately noticed and complimented by those sitting near me. Since I normally smoke true VA flakes, I intially had some difficulty with the high initial moisture content and/or my packing technique that caused numerous relights. With some drying and experience with a looser pack, the smoke improved. I found the taste on the tart side as opposed to the sweetness I normally prefer. Perhaps my taste buds have been scorched one too many times or the balance of this blend is so perfect, but I didn't appreciate the "subtle" contribution of the Perique as in a Solani 633 where it was much more dominant. Overall, an enjoyable smoke @ the right moment but a bit lite for my personal taste as an all day smoke.