Composed of Burley, two cuts of Virginia, Latakia and Perique. For those who enjoy true natural tobacco flavor, one of our most popular lighter English blends.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
Contents Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Like the majority of P&W blends, The "American English" #72 is made from a quality grade of tobacco and arrives a bit too moist to be smoked right out of the pouch. Although P&W describes #72 as a light English, I find it to be more on the medium side in the taste department. #72 is fuller in flavor than most blends in the light English department. This would make a great all day smoke for smoker's of English blends. There is a touch too much burley in it to be a rotation regular for me. Those that like some burley in their English blends should find a lot of enjoyment with #72 as its another well made blend from P&W. Recommended.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This seems to be a toned down version of #400, which is now a staple in my rotation. Where #400 was hugely flavorful and complex, the flavor and complexity is muted here, making this a perfect morning smoke for lovers of #400.

The whole time I smoked this, the old Tinderbox staple of "Sherlock's Choice" kept coming to mind. This one does taste like Sherlock's, but it asserts its individuality with a light blending touch from the perique jar. Whereas SC was lightly sweet and soft and mild, this one was lightly sweet, soft, mild and MUCH more interesting. This is one of those blends that could be an all-day "set it and forget it" smoke, or you could sit in your easy chair and contemplate the various flavors. Where #400 forces me to delve into the complexities of the blend because of its assertiveness, this one can go either way. If I smoked the pipe all day, I'd prefer this one. Since I don't, I prefer a tobacco with more body and flavor.

My usual routine is to recommend tobaccos based on my personal taste and, to maintain consistency, I do that here. However, recognizing that this may not be the fairest way to judge, I have to say that this is a 3 star recommendation for my tastebuds and a 4 star recom for others. Why? Because I think everyone should try this once. It may be too mild for you, or too soft or too whatever. Then again, it may be perfect. I could see this blend as being The One that makes some people decide that they no longer need to sample every tobacco in the world. It didn't do that for me, but it may for you! More blending genius from Carole Burns!

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

A mild & smooth English blend. A little too mild for my taste. A very solid 2 stars.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is indeed a very pleasant and light English blend. It reminds me a bit of Dunhill Standard Mild, but it's more complex due to the additional condiment tobaccos. It packs and burns very well with it's Dunhill-like cut. For the majority of the bowl, I mainly taste the Va. and Perique with a hint of burley. Towards the end the latakia makes it's presence known, though in a subdued way. If you desire a heartier smoking experience, dgt a bowl and the burley and latakia are more out front with a pleasantly bitter flavor which is offset by the sweetness of the other tobaccos. For this reason it is nice to smoke half a bowl in the morning for a mild smoke, then smoke the remaining half in the afternoon for a more manly-man smoke. It's like having 2 tobaccos in one. I sometimes find this a little rough towards the bottom of the bowl, so it isn't quite a 4-star smoke for me. The Royal Scot (cavendish) is hardly noticeable but seems to add a little smoothness. I love the pure tobacco aroma, but my girlfriend hates it. A very nice summer smoke.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a very pretty blend in the pouch. Numerous shades of brown, in a cross cut that is a joy to pack. The moisture content is perfect, and the tobacco is easy to light, and easy to manage. The Burley and Virginias are simply a background for this blend to show off the top quality Latakia and Perique.

The Latakia presence is mild, but noticeable. The Perique seems to be the real star here. This is a salty, spicey, slightly smokey tasting blend, with a subtle, toasty undertone. The finish is pleasant, with a tangy stewed fruit aftertaste. If you love the sensation, and mouth feel of Perique, you will love this. I could detect no topping. The room note is of the various tobaccos burning.

A great smoke in the evening when you can take your time and relax.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

This is an enthralling mixture. Because of the Perique in abundance, the aroma is not socially pleasing. It is a blend for contemplative smokes alone or with quiet, appreciative company. This much St. James Parish pleasure is usually too much for my preferences, but it works here.

I think of this as Dorisco with more body, variation and a cooler temperature (lofty company indeed). The first third of the smoke is quite playful and migrating in flavors. By one third the way into the bowl, Latakia and Perique take charge with occasional notes of sweetness (less than High Hat and 193) and Burley weight. The last third of the smoke is mostly Perique supported by Latakia. Very nice. This seems of overall more weight than Wilke's other blends containing Perique, yet not full-bodied by any means.

I cannot imagine what Royal Standard is to this mixture, unless it is a pre-blend of Burleys. If it is an aromatic blend, Royal Scott, I do not detect anything like that here.

This smokes well in all sized pipes, but I enjoy it most in larger bowls. One thorough charring light and No.72 smokes to the heel, leaving a fine grey ash and a dry pipe. No. 72 does the "DGT" well, which is not always the case with other P&W Latakia blends.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I'm not sure what "Royal Standard" is, but the other four are definitely there. A variety of leaves, fully rubbed out and easily packed. Takes fire readily without drying and stays lit well; my longest between matches is 75 minutes in a medium bowled pipe. No gurgle or steam.

The condiments are first noted, particularly the perique. Slowly the others become evident with the latakia remaining in the background. Mid bowl is the best with all in play and in balance, though perique is not my thing. This is a spicy mild english with no trace of sweetness despite the VAs. The final fraction is a bit too peppery for my taste. Burley dislikers will best pass on this one.

Its mildness has its merits for those who like their smokes that way (I do). Yet I somehow want "more" out of it, which I can get with a bigger bowl. Then the perique annoys me. For mild english blends from P&W, and I DO like P&Ws, I prefer the Wilke #10, sort of a lighter version of Dunhill's EMP. I'm not sure what I could compare this one to. Certainly one worth trying, but there are others I prefer.