A spicy aroma along with a subtle Oriental flavor. Orientals (other than latakia) and a rich Virginia base along with two cavendish tobaccos make up this special blend. Lightly aromatic!

BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Blended ByJohn Brandt
Manufactured ByWilke Pipe Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2 oz. bag, 4 oz. bag, 8 oz. bag 16 oz. bag
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium

3.2

The dark fruity, earthy, Virginias also offer a little citrus and grass as the base of the blend, and they are team players. They have a touch of fermentation and the slightest hint of “vinegar” which doesn’t last long at all. The woody, earthy, spicy, leathery, mildly floral, dry and lightly nutty, buttery sweet Orientals provide a fair amount of support. Due to the confluence of ingredients, the tingly spice seems to have the attributes of nutmeg though none is present. There’s a little sugar from the black cavendish, which is a condiment. The mildly applied sweet vanilla topping lightly sublimates the tobaccos. The strength is just past the center of mild to medium while the taste just reaches the medium threshold. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with very consistent sweet, lightly savory and spicy flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

When I put down my English blends and Vaper's and smoke an aromatic blend, I am looking for two things. The first being tobaccos of high quality as many aromatics are soaked in such a way that they mask the quality of the underlying tobacco. The second thing I look for are scents that don't taste artificial or leave a metallic taste. Gotham Court wins big on both counts. There is a complexity to this tobacco, so much so that I think it would be a good smoke without any aromatic flavor. The Orientals really stand out for me. Like many of the P&W blends it arrives a bit moist and does need ample time to dry. The wait is worth it if you enjoy a little spice with your sweet. Highly Recommended

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A kind of Dutch cavendish, similar to, say, SAIL, and very good indeed. The flavouring is not overdone at all, and certainly has a luxurious undertone. I rarely like an aromatic, but I love this one.

Try it with a glass of sherry!

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Extremely similar to the McClelland's Townsman Cavendish series of blends, Gotham Court provides a wonderful Oriental/Virginia base with a little added flavoring that enhances the overall presentation in a way that provides for a little sweeter smoke and allows the leaf to play peekaboo with the enhancements. The Virginia in this one is ample and offers a little backbone and strength and the overall presentation is also very cool and bite free.

A flavored cavendish with oriental along the lines of McClellands Oriental Cavendish Mixture. The taste of this one, while good, seems thin in comparison to the McClellands. That one is in my semi-regular rotation, which means I smoke it on occasion. This one might be better for those times that I want to taste less of everything. Admittedly, I don't often have those times.

There is a slight sharpness to the smoke as the bowl progresses and it loses flavor to a mild degree as it goes down the bowl. Overall, this is a semi-aromatic with a softened sweet taste and some nice spiciness as well. Sort of a Lane's 1-Q with added Turkish tobacco.

If you find yourself in the mood for an aromatic but don't want the heavily humectified vanilla goo, this is an excellent alternative. It has more flavor than your average aromatic but will still please those around you. A nice effort, although not a blend I'll likely smoke again.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Aromatics aren't my usual cup of tea, but I have to say this is really a wonderful product. Cool, easy burning, the flavour keeps strong throughout the bowl and it's a very pleasant aroma.

This is a scrumptious mild aromatic, with a sweet Virginia base, spiced with a bit of Turkish.

The topping reminds me of buttery raisin cinnamon toast, and is very deftly applied. You can still taste the tobacco.

I first smoked this in a small clay cutty. It packed and lit very easily, and it is a low maintenance smoke. I prefer it in a smaller bowl, as it intensifies the taste.

I puffed on this like a steam engine, but received absolutely no bite. It smokes quite dry, but it will leave a slight sticky residue in the pipe. It will wipe out fairly easily however.

An excellent blend for any time of day. It would make an excellent blend for the novice as well, due to its mild qualities. Definitely worth a try if you like aromatics at all.

Bassrep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bassrep (25)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

OK, I'm a noob, I freely admit that. I don't have any experience with non aro's as I got into it for the aromatics and really enjoy them. I've been a cigar smoker for a long time but limit myself to 3-4 a week. I rec'd my order from P&W that included 3 different aro pipe tobaccos that I decided upon based on tobaccoreviews.com In addition to Gotham Court I picked up 191 and Cherry Cavendish both of which are lovely. My review is negative not because I am criticizing the blender but because this stuff STINKS. When I opened the USPS package, I was struck by a weird clove, Red Hots (the candy), medicinal almost Patchouli incense kinda stank. Having read so much positive about the Gotham Court, I filled a pipe and went outside (don't allow myself indoor smoking). Upon lighting, I thought I set my shirt on fire. Smelled like garbage burning. Took me 20 minutes to clean out the pipe and will take weeks/months to air it out. When my wife came home she freaked out about the horrible smell in the house! It was the Gotham Court that was like someone set off a stink bomb. I'm curious... If I continue to smoke a pipe, will I eventually lose MY sense of taste and smell?? Cause the folks that think this is "great" can't have any sense of the olfactory. Final note, their 191 and Cherry Cavendish were lovely, no issue. But Gotham Court??? The judge has issued his ruling... INCINERATION!

Pipe Used: Dr. Brog

Age When Smoked: Recent purchase direct from blender

Purchased From: Pipeworks and Wilke

Similar Blends: Burning Garbage.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is manufacturered by a one woman operation in Vermont that does not even smoke a pipe herself, she just inherited the business and you can tell. I was sent samples of this and another by a friend to try and had the following results. in the bag, it did have a nice sweet smelling aroma, kind of like cherries or blackberries. It is in mostly a long ribbon but with brown and black tobaccos interspersed. It pack easy and well, and lit up like a pro. At first, I was drawn back to the days Borkum Riff was king. Lots of smoke and aroma but nothing on the tongue but hot. And it grew hotter as it burned down. While it smelled good and sweet, I never was able to taste tobacco taste just the subtle berry taste. About three quarters down, I could tell it was going to scorch my tongue and ruin my smoking the rest of the day. I don't like this one at all and will give it away. Don't care to try it again. Stay away!

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is another of Carol's rich and spicy blends. Clove and ginger this time. Smokes cool and dry, Excellent

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Another P&W aromatic similar to Dummerston and Bohemian Mixture. Again I am drawn to the rich spices, this one is very clove-y. I'm not sure I can distinguish orientals here, but the taste and aroma are wonderful. Incense-like, in a way. It makes me think of a Drew Estate Ambrosia cigar, without the cigarry nature. Wonderful stuff. Puff it hard for a blitz of non-biting flavor. Cool and savory.