Dark, slightly flavoured Virginia and Kentucky

Notes: No longer produced.

BrandCarroll P. J. & Co. Ltd.
Blended ByCarroll P.J. & Co. Ltd.
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
FlavoringHoney
Strength
Very Mild, Medium
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
Mild, Medium
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

We all have favorite reviewers whose tastes are very similar to our own. When Jakob favorably reviews a blend, I go after it because he must be my long lost twin brother.

I really can't add much to his fine review of Ye Olde Virginia Honeydew. It was a wonderfully flavorful experience and the topping is "to die for."

The blend is shag cut and dark in appearance. No doubt due to the aging as my tin had to be at least 15 years old. Strangely, the strength did not match the color of the leaf. It's very mild with little nicotine hit. I fixed that. I made up a new blend that was three parts Royal Yacht and one part Ye Olde Virginia Honeydew. I then got the best of both worlds!

If you can find it and enjoy uniquely flavored Virginia, get it!

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This stuff is sublime! Please read my review of "Old Road" from the same company, and you will find some similarities: It seems that Carroll's uses the same unique topping in most of their blend. It is quite similar to that, used in "Old Road" The topping is also comparable to that used in Orlik's Rubbed-Out Mild Honeydew.

The cut is Shag, the same as in Dunhill's My Mixture 965. Stoved red and dark VA is the leaf used here. I had a hard time detecting any Kentucky at all. YOVH burns great and produces thick, well-rounded, soft smoke with enough nicotine in it to keep me satisfied.

YOVH is actually not very complex, but who needs that, when the quality of the VA is as outstanding as the VA used in Rattray's quality blends such as Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake?

A luxury VA blend with a strange topping. Outstanding!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark