Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity. Made with a special selection of the rich, smooth Mahogany North Carolina flue-cured crop of 1994, ripened to perfection in the Oxford area.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

I love smoking Christmas Cheer, but hate reviewing it. I love the pure Virginias, and love McClelland, but have a hard time distinguishing among the 5-6 CCs I've tried. The only one I think I could pass a "blindfold test" with is the 2002, since to me it seems to be even purer and more austere of a "single malt" Virginia than the others I've tried.

No exception here. As I have come to expect with this series, a lovely, pure Virginia best suited for slow sipping. 2002 is my favorite so far, but only by a little. This one does seem to have a slightly fuller flavor to it than 2005, 2007, 2010, and certainly the very subtle 2002. Yes, maybe I could pass the blindfold test with this one, for different reasons than with the 2002, but 2005 and 2007 taste almost the same to me!

I've only tried CCs from the 2000s, though I do have a sealed tin of 1999 (don't think I'll crack it anytime soon, though I would like to try some of the older ones).

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have enjoyed many of the McClelland's Christmas Cheer tobaccos of years past. My 2004 vintage tin had aged a bit in my "cellar", and being in the mood for a pressed Virginia Flake, I grabbed it.

Well, one reviewer here claimed to know how best to smoke this flake to make it shine brightly. So, I gave it a try. I used a well broken in pipe, I rubbed the flakes out somewhat, and let the 'baccy sit for 20 minutes to dry just a little bit. Finally, I gravity fed the leaf into the pipe without much tamping down. Out came the Carona Old Boy and I set fire to the leaf which promptly released all kinds of wonderful flavors onto my tongue.

This one burned just a tad warm so, I smoked slowly. It is long on flavor and light on strength.

It's hard for a Texan to enjoy Christmas in July (Predicted high today in my neighborhood is 102 degrees), but Cheer '04 did the trick!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

As fears as McCellland virginias goes this is one is breed of a different color, you can actually feel the nicotine, there is a certain harshness to it that I'm going to refer,as character, it is almost a pretentious exercise in reviewing a blend that is no longer made but I will say this the virginias in this blend were top notch, the vinegar smell is completely gone and is easy to smoke just the right amount of Dottle.

Pipe Used: Bjarne bent apple

The red Virginia is a bit earthy, slightly grassy with a deep dried ripe, dark fruit and a touch of citrus. It’s more tart and tangy than usual. Has some spiciness. The "vinegar” smell and taste lasts longer than other years, and sublimates the tobacco flavor more than some other years. It’s not as smooth as it is in other years, but it doesn’t burn rough. It’s not quite as consistent in the taste department as I expected. Burns slow and moist, and needs a little dry time. Requires relights, and leaves a little moisture at the finish. Not as pleasurable as it is in some other years. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite. An all day smoke.

Chestnut brown broken flakes with the typical McClellands fermented Virginia tin nose. As this was a 1994 crop and now 20 years old, and since McClellands Virginias are world-renowned as especially fantastic when aged, I couldn't wait to fire this up!

Unfortunately, this one smoked with a bitter, tart flavor that I found objectionable. It came fairly dry and I tried it further dried out, at tin moisture, and I even hydrated it, which is usually the kiss of death for me with Virginia flakes (and indeed, hydrating made the tobacco worse). There was a nice tangy VA flavor underneath but it didn't prominently emerge until about the last 1/4 bowl. It DGT'd just fine but no improvements. Meerschaum or briar didn't matter. I got a flavor like the taste you get from tobacco juice when your tobacco is too wet and seeps into the mouthpiece, but this tobacco burned very dry. Not sure of the cause of this - bad tin, perhaps.

As with all the Christmas Cheers I've tried, this is a pure, natural and unflavored single crop tobacco. Unfortunately, this particular crop apparently doesn't agree with my tastebuds. I have another tin that I may experiment with later but for now, this one earns a mere 2 stars from me.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (23)

This is the only Christmas cheer I have smoked so far. I am lucky enough to have various years cellared so I'm sure to review more when I do decide to pop those tins.

First of all let me just say from my experience I find mcclelland Broken flake blends a little difficult to deal with. I have found that ample drying and fully rubbed out seems to burn best. If left in their broken clumps they require tons of relights.

This being almost ten years old I wasn't sure what to expect. Truth be told I don't have that much experience with aged tobacco. When I popped the tin I was greeted with the classic ketchup smell. The tobacco was still fairly damp. I smoked several bowls fresh from the tin and it was to damp to deal with plus I did not really rub it out all the way. I decided to allow the remainder of my tin to "air out" for a day then rub it out and put it in a mason jar.

Now when I smoke this I completely rub out a bowls worth and allow to dry 10-15 minutes. From the initial light I was greeted with a very delicate but sweet Virginia flavor. That flavor is very consistent throughout the bowl. I find gentle sipping seems to bring out the best of this blend. I get sweet grassy flavors with a light citrus taste here and there. This is a rather pleasent tobacco to smoke. It suits me well in the morning with my coffee. The wife thinks the room note is ok.

I have DGT this and it does gain a little deeper flavor but not too much. Overall this is a good smoke. I would reccomend it. I only gave it three stars because for me it's not strong enough, but I don't think it's supposed to be. It is overall a great smoke but can be a bit of a bitch to work with and keep burning.

Pipe Used: Mr brog amigo 51

Age When Smoked: 9+ years

Purchased From: Ebay

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff burns the mouth and tastes like No. 27 and The Navy cavendish had a kid that couldn't live up to his poor parents name! So why the high rating ? Because I believe in this flake. I have utter faith that given a few years of aging this stuff will be remarkable. Opening a new tin right now and tasting it is an exercise in what is to come. Greg Pease is one of the most esteemed blenders in America today. His only problem is his typically American trait of impatience. All of his wonderfully blended tobaccos are sent out to the consumer far to young. If you taste a Pease blend that is absolutely no good, simply put the remainder in a mason jar and wait a year. The transformation is amazing. Now this is a problem that the McNeills have never shown us before and I hope this doesn't become a habit. How many smokers around the world have been informed that Mr. Pease is one of Americas best only to pop the top and taste an unsmokeable tobacco that is merely lacking age? Do you think they will ever buy anymore, much less take these American tobaccos as seriously? Hopefully so, but I still think that all of these young blends would sell better and make a much more favorable impression if they were sold when they are mature and ready. Perhaps they were just in a rush to find a special leaf for this years Christmas blend and had to release it. But don't you think they would have been better served by keeping it in good aging conditions and releasing it as next years blend? At the very least they could put a note with the tin description with the advice to open and put in jars for aging awhile before partaking. I think the public would appreciate this and would end up buying more. Oh well, enough rambling- go ahead and stock up on this stuff- just be more patient with it than its blenders- and in time I think you will have a heavenly smoke!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)

I agree on many points with the previous reviewer. In my own words this is a wonderful qualilty in a virginia flake. A somewhat mild, yet profound complexity to be experienced by the smoker. Spice notes that accompany a higher than average natural sweetness with a noticeable coolness than one usually finds in a straight VA flake. There is also that characteristically McClelland vinegary tang upon opening the tin. The only one complaint I have is like with many of McClelland flakes and blends the tobacco is cut to wide. This makes it troublesome to keep lit. However, what a fantastic example in natural tobacco qualities can be achieved with top quality leaf and extended aging. In this case 10 years.

- Recomended