A smooth classic flake tobacco made from the finest grades of
Virginia leaf, blended in layers and using traditional methods. Gently matured
in order to bring out the optimum flavors of the natural tobacco.

BrandFormer
ContentsVirginia, Perique
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.9
Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)

This is a light Virginia flake composed of mostly yellow Virginias, with a little dark Virginia and a touch of perique. A very satisfying quality blend that hits the right notes with me. Burns cool and dry from start to finish, with a hint of perique in every puff. An excellent all day blend for those who appreciate a softer taste. Not a fan of Vapers that dispense their perique with a heavy hand, this is a real find.

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Usually, I'd find this kind of blend too mild for my liking, but I really enjoy this tobacco. I thought it a little dry, but once hydrated, produced a lot of natural sweet flavor with a very, very slight pepper from the perique. I detect a very light honey and light lemon notes. There's a slight dark Virginia in the midst of the light ones that gives this a nice bass note. It's an exceptional all day smoke; no bite, even burn, and the taste is fairly consistent and smooth to the very last ember.

I largely agree with the first part of portasio's review -- a v good soft VA with hints from the Perique to keep it interesting. I find this a solid, very pleasant, all-around good smoke. From the earlier reviews, not everyone is a huge fan of this flavor profile as I am.

portasio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
portasio (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

excellent first-rate tobacco. not for beginners as most natural va- predominant blends are. must be smoked slowly. room notes are mild and overall tobacco-y, with no detectable other scent present. the perique, as other reviewers have noted, is very subtle and seems to be some sort of flue-cured and/or stoved perique, not the traditionally fermented sort. that's only my guess, from my taste notes. smokes beautifully all the way down to the bottom of my bowl. i'll try this one with some added perique, which should be very nice. excellent job, former. i've tried some of his other, also excellent blends, and this seems leagues ahead of the pack. i'm surprised at the lackluster reviews. and yes, this is as natural as they come, so if you like any sort of (even subtle) topping, look somewhere else. if you enjoy the taste (and smell) of good tobacco, this is where it's at.

thefoolish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thefoolish (9)

I enjoy puffing this tobacco while doing other things. Actually, it's become my video-game blend. I tend to take a few puff, put it down, play for a while, then come back to it.

The tin note smells a little like hay and has a hint of honey in it.

Packs very easily and lights well.

The taste is simple in a good way, though the perique is not noticeable to my taste.

Not a bad blend; certainly not fantastic, but I will keep it around.

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I was sent a 1/2 tin of this to try and as I like Danish style tobaccos, i like it. It reminds me a lot of the old Amphora Brown without the burley influence. This smells very nice in the tin, very much like a Virginia. If this has perique as reported in other reviews, I sure could not detect it. I taste just a mild peppery Virginia, not real sweet. This to me was a good moisture but it is possible the guy who sent it to me dried it out first. It is in long medium brown strantds rubbed out. It packed very easy and lit on first light, smoking all the way down to a grey ash and no dottle in the bottom, just a powder. This could bite if puffed too agressively, but I had no problem with it. it is very light in taste, and one could go serching for more flavor and get bit. While this is a rather one dimentional blend, it is satisfying in the N dept. Nothing real exceptional so i can't give it a high rating, but it is one I am enjoying and Danish lovers should give it a try.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, you are greeted with an inviting aroma and nicely prepared, partially rubbed out reddish, brown flakes with hints of golden VAs. Although packing and lighting were easy, I found the initial moisture content too high with no additional rub out and a wet smoke with relights @ the bowl bottom resulted. This didn't improve much even with considerable drying. The room aroma was considered better by others than my preferred VA/periques but that had to be balanced by the lack of taste of this blend. It was milder than I like and although naturally sweet, lacked much of a Perique influence. As I recall it, this is no Capstan and certainly no match to Reiner's or Solani's.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)

Rumored to be like Capstan mild, it seems to be a lighter version of Former's Cross Grain Flake. It has more bright leaf, probably less perique and critus flavoring, but more of an edge than Cross Grain Flake. Still a sweet smoke and not bad if puffed slowly in a medium bowl.

Not completely bright leaf. Some red virginia. Comes in flakes easily broken into a thick shag. I try to break it up little (but more so in a smaller pipe). Fairly dry and steady burning to me. No additional aging is necessary in my opinion (though all flakes will improve some with time); it smokes well right off the shelf.

Dunhill's Light Flake is smoother and more tasty to me. This one has more of a straight virginia tang to accompany the sweetness. Cross Grain Flake has more rich flavor. Neither of Former's Cross Grain or Bird's Eye flakes are quite as robust as Solani's 633 flake in my opinion. Reiner's Long Golden Flake is also smoother (due to burley added). Orlik's Golden Slices is sweeter.

So if you don't savor the Dunhill flake's flavor or the Cross Grain extra flavor, and find Solani's or Cross Grain too rich at times, or Orlik's too sweet, this is a step down in strength but still a contender in the bright flake field. But again it must be smoked slowly. Two to three bowls in a day were too much for me even though the blend remained tasty. Maybe you can consume it easier.

Germain's Medium flake is also a comparison that can be made.

I would reservedly recommend this for a spin if you are a bright, sweet flake fancier. You may like it better than the other ones I noted, but I did not. Maybe a bowl a day is o.k.

Well, I continue on puffing with Former's Straight Grain Flake.

ilDominante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ilDominante (11)

This flake is very easy to pack and that may be because of its inherent moisture. Indeed, if it were a bit drier, the whole blend would be more smokable. Overall, this blend is very similar to flakes like Dunhill's Navy Flake; a good virginia, aged well, packs easily and doesn't burn the tongue. However, the fact that in order to keep it lit one needs to keep drawing rather frequently, does pose a threat of tongue sores if one is not careful. The smell of the tin is particularly inviting, reminding of the scent of walnut and roses. However, while smoking those notes cannot be detected easily. It is very difficult to keep the end of the bowl lit, even after cafeful packing. The tobacco isn't bad, but in the same league there is better. I would recommend it as a leaf to use to clean a pipe after smoking many bowls of strong aromatics like latakia and perique, as the old English chaps on the other side of the pond often do.