Notes: Stokkebye’s Aromatic Dutch Sliced - This blend’s captivating mildness results from subtly refining our most superior blends of Burley tobaccos with the luxurious accents of Cavendish processing. It’s reminiscent of some beloved Dutch tobaccos that are no longer available. {Note: despite the name, this appears to be a non-aromatic blend}

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Strong

Despite the name "slices" this came as more of a thoroughly rubbed out flake. It has some flavoring incorporated but not gooped up or wet like American aromatics usually are. A good strong tobacco with a quality Virginia dominating the taste. The aromatic component is typical of Dutch-style aromatics. A mild flavoring. More smell than taste. No floral or soapy taste that I could detect. Can't speak to the Room note as I smoke outdoors. I would imagine the non-smokers would object as it is a fairly strong tobacco. It arrived with the proper moisture content, lights quickly and burns cleanly. No gurgle detected. I don't recall any tongue-bite but "proceed with caution" is good advice. (10/19/2004)

Update: After some recent bowls, this is a really strong basic tobacco. No Aromatic flavoring in the usual sense, but stinky like good, strong, natural tobacco. If you don't mind strong flavors and lots of "punch" give this one a try. Or if you want to stink-up the neighborhood and your clothing, give it a try. (12/04/05)

I am on my first bowl of this, and I may come back to revise things if it grows on me or I get weary of it quickly.

This is a solid, pleasant, unassuming smoke. It does not require a lot of attention, and it delivers a basic tobacco flavor with just a whiff of a sweet topping. This is the style of Dutch cavendish you could buy in grocery stores in the 70's, and the processing has done a great job of melding the Virginia and burley flavors. I would not describe this as an aromatic, and I doubt most people would. It has been a very good smoke and has not shown any tendencies to burn hot.

Edit: 4/3/14 I have a couple of bowls left out of the 8 oz I bought. I mostly smoked it and Golden Extra at the office for the last couple of months. They both work well in this mode. This is a solid 3+ and a very good all-day smoke. I have enjoyed this and have no reservations recommending it.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Raw Score = 55

Rated Percentage = 92%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, Nice Room Note, nice all day smoke

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My bulk sample had an ideal moisture content of the light brown tobacco but the 'slices' in the naming surprised me in that the cut is a shag as indicated above. Sort of reminded me of the old Amphora cavendish blends but with much less added flavor. Seems like true tobacco taste but not as sweet as the VA flakes that I prefer. I gave up smoking cigarettes years ago and this one reminded me of that taste. Smoked cool and without bite or condensation, but I won't order again.

alfabet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alfabet (3)

This was part of my recent sampler purchase and I have now tried all four of the samples. My first choice has been luxury twist flake but this one is number 2. I am an old Troost Special user from the early 70s. When I recently became reaquainted with my pipes, I bought a pouch of Troost and was disappointed. Others have indicated that it is not the same blend and that might be true but this one really reminded me of the Troost I recall.

It was evenly medium in strength and had a very basic tobacco taste without any noticeale flavoring. I give it a good review and may be back for some more.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I got this in bulk and it arrived to me already rubbed out as well. In fact, the tobacco in the pouch looks and smells like RYO cigarette tobacco. It is a medium brown in color and comes at a great moisture content so I felt no need to dry. It loads in the pipe quite easily, and lights up on the first try and stays lit extremely well. My first impression is that it is a very mild VA with a slight chocolate top note again very simliar to cigarette tobacco. I find it very light and smooth, almost too much so. It has a slightly sweet taste, does not bite in any way, and burned almost all the way down before relight. As it burns down, it picks up flavor and smokes rather pleasant but is very one dimensional. It keeps the same flavor and aroma all the way through. The aroma is very VA sweet with a little bit of a aromatic chocolate note. Not bad but not exceptional in any way. It smokes cool no matter how hard one puffs on it, I could not make it burn hot and I tried. it produces a fair amount of smoke. To sum this one up, it is a nice mild smoke but nothing I would buy again. If one likes the taste of cigarettes, it might be just the ticket, but there are so many better than this one. It does have a nice amount of nicotine and will satisfy in that regard.