An American blend of air-cured toasted Burley leaves from Tennessee and aged red Virginias have been Cavendish pressed for 36 hours. The pressed cakes are cross cut to small squares for easy filing of the pipe and slow burning. Natural and mellow tobacco taste.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
CutCube
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very nice Virginia/Burley indeed. The cube cut is rather thick and can be a bit tricky to get going, but nothing too bad. The Burley does indeed give it a grassy quality, and the Virginia provides a pleasant toastiness.

The casing complements, rather than overwhelms the tobacco taste. I can't tell exactly what it is, but I get impressions of caramel apple. It smells very nice while burning as well.

There is indeed enough Virginia in it to make it a bit bitey, so slow sipping is your best bet. This is a good quality blend. It never turns ashey or bitter. Rather, it leaves a clean taste on my palate. It never filled my pipe with gunk.

For me this is the tobacco equivalent of meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Nothing exciting, but very warm and comfortable. If you are fond of Burley, or Danish aromatics, I think you will enjoy this. For Latakia and Perique fans, this could make a nice change of pace.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

I like Va/Burley blends and this is a good one. Some here detect a topping but I do not. Just tastes like food straightforward tobacco flavor. The cube cut is fun to play with and is probably the easiest loading tobacco I have tried. It is a little tough to get going not unlike trying to start a coal fire. Once it gets going it needs little attention other than maybe a tamp. I use a triple jet lighter with this and it gets it stoked very quickly. One thing that I have noticed that maybe helpful is after I put a pipe of this down part way through the smoke and come back to it latter the Burleys start exhibiting a nice butteriness. So the old DGT will work well here. Pleasant, with a good bit of strength, no bite and it is absolutely dirt cheap I will be keeping this one in stock. I am really enjoying Stokkebye's blends.I have three of them in my regular rotation and I haven't even tried any of his Luxury Blends yet. Much better than anything MacBaren makes.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (24)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

"Peter Stokkebye sure can make some good tobacco" said Mr. Motoyoshi.

I am slowly realizing that I have never had a bad experience with PS blends. I have yet to try one of their Aromatics, so we shall see ;)

Cube cuts are somewhat rare these days and The Stokkebyes have done a fantastic job with this one. Light to dark brown flecks of tobacco leaf can be seen when opening up the pouch. Smells like a typical VaBer with a slight sweetness that is the Cavendish I presume.

Loading this tobacco isn't that difficult. Keeping it lit without clogging your tobacco chamber can be the issue. I have had success by just simply dropping the little pellets in and filling up the pipe (loading it like a shot gun casing as an acquaintance put it) After that all you need is a light tamp when you've put in the amount of tobacco you want to smoke. If you push too hard, air won't circulate as well when you're 1/4 down the bowl. You have to start this with a thorough light to make sure that all the cubes on the top are smoldering. Tamping lighter than you normally would with a ribbon or course cut is key. Tamping too much will compress the cubes and there won't be enough oxygen between them to continue smoldering. Think BBQ charcoals.

Now onto the smoking experience. The VAs and Cavendish start the show. It's sweet and a little tangy at first. But very pleasant. Towards the 1/4 mark the burleys come into play and the cavendish takes a back seat. You can really start to pick up on the red virginias and they are definitely supported by the burleys. Smooth sweet, nutty, velvety smoke is what you can expect. This tobacco can have a big bite if smoked too fast. Smoke slowly and probe the flavor dimensions of this tobacco with each puff. It is very enjoyable.

If you have tried GL Pease Barbary Coast, you might be familiar with this style. The Red Vas in that blend are more pronounced and there is more of an earthy feeling with the lack of Cavendish and bourbon(?) topping. If you tried that and it wasn't sweet enough, this could be ticket for you.

This is a great tobacco for breaking in a pipe as the sugars from the cavendish and the burley's natural caking properties do a wonderful job on coating a fresh bowl. I think the only reason I give this 3 stars is that the lighting can be a little finicky.

This blend, as are most PS blends, is a wonderful tobacco with a price point that allows for those 1 oz test orders. If you like Virginia Burleys and want to try a new tobacco, this should be in your cart.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Briars and Mortas

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Barbary Coast (Original Mixtures).

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Cube cuts always have intrigued me as far as easy to carry and load your pipe. Smell out of the 1 ounce sample bag was faintly of vanilla/chocolate with a moisture content right for smoking. I had no problem lighting this nor keeping it lit. It didn't rise out from the bowl while lighting as others have described either. I am more inclined to natural tasting tobaccos, enjoying Irish Flake, Burley Slice, and Aged Burley Flake. PS Cube Cut fits in very nicely for me. It is milder than the three mentioned, but a very set-it-and-forget-it smoke. The pouch aroma did translate into the smoke; mildly, never cloying, and pleasant. Reminded me of the original Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, which was a cube cut (nothing like the now defunct Lane incarnation). Smoked clean and dry to the heel of the pipe, maintaining consistency of burn and flavor without moisture or dottle. No bite to speak of. Just a mild tongue tingle with heavy puffing and the nicotine presence, for me, was mild. This is in league with the best of the Codger Burleys - actually better in my opinion. No chemical taste whatsoever. A nice all day, everyday type of smoke for my tastes and will definitely be added to my rotation. Those seeking a replacement for ERR need not look any further. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Vario Bulldog no 32

Similar Blends: Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (original run, not Lane produced), Uhle's perfection Plug Burley.

Anchkema Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anchkema (8)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been hunting for a favorite cube cut burley/va I smoked decades ago. (Mixture 222 or something like that, I think) This isn't it, but it's okay, and the price is attractive.

This is really, really, cube cut, kind of like thousands of little hard identical tobacco pellets. The aroma seems more like a Va than a burley to me.

As others have said, it needs to be packed in a tall, skinny bowl via the gravity and light tapping method. It takes some skill to light, and is prone to a few relights. However, eventually it will burn to the bottom of the bowl -- IF you are smoking outside with a gentle breeze. I stopped smoking it indoors, because of the attention needed to keep the ember going.

Don't wear your fav sweater while smoking this -- the little cubes are prone to leaving the bowl at the slightest bump and seem to burn more eagerly outside on clothing than inside the pipe bowl.

All that said, it's an okay smoke once I got the hang of it. Occasionally, it delivers a bit of the taste of the cube cut I smoked decades ago. Just pack it right, get it lit, sip it calmly, let it go out if that's what it wants to do, and you'll have an enjoyable 40-minutes or so. Maybe it improves with age. We'll see.

ADDED 4.3.13 -- PC is right about the few skills needed to fully enjoy Stokkebye Cube Cut, so after some practice I'm adding a star to my earlier review. CC belongs in the honorable company of honest smokes at better-than-honest price, and I've added a good quantity to my Mason jar collection. I just came in from a smoke in my Comoy bent pebble grain (group size 3 is my guesstimate), and after the charring light went to the bottom of the bowl. Very gentle tamping and a slight Spring breeze might have helped. As a nice bonus, CC leaves my briars dry and smelling like quality tobacco. My cobs like CC, too, and it ain't bad combined with some aged 5100.

Bluefox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefox (11)

This blend was to me just as described. A full burley and virginia blend with a cavendish sweetness. I got a light bite but I took that as I smoke fast. I had no trouble with it burning but I also thaught ahead and smoked it in my savinelli which has the largest bowl of all my pipes. All and all a good blend with a nice flavor.

Bard of Christ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bard of Christ (9)
Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Cube Cut is unique in that it's cube cut. Profound, huh? This neat tobacco packs easily into any pipe without any fuss -- there's really not even a need to tamp this before lighting.

In the pouch, this tobacco has a typical burley smell. That is to say "agricultural" -- the smell of fresh-cut hay. It's not as sweet as Wilke's Nut Brown Burley.

The down side to this tobacco is that it's hard to keep lit. This is probably due to the cube cut. It tends to burn hot when pushed (which sometimes you feel you need to do when it won't stay lit). If you can keep it lit, it burns to a medium gray ash.

This blend is not as rich in the mouth as Nut Brown Burley, but still a good burley flavor. The flavor remains consistent (some may say boring) throughout the bowl. It's a lot cheaper than NBB, and the milder strength makes it more suitable for all-day smoking.

If this were a beverage, it would be Yuengling Black-and-Tan. A good brew, but not the best. Recommended.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought a 5 pound bag of this about 9 months ago as I plan to cellar a lot of it to try at different intervals over the next several years. This is a mild and nutty smoke. If done properly, you will never tire of this blend. Don't pack it; just tap the sides of the bowl until it settles, then give it a very light tap on top before lighting. Make sure you don't "over-light" it by trying to suck big mouthfuls or you will taste a "burn-scorch" that is a bit like burned toast. It is most unpleasant and can turn you off the blend for a while. I've smoked many bowls of this blend. When I first started smoking, I liked the taste a lot. That, coupled with the idea that I had to light as many little cubes as I could in order to cut down on relights, caused me to experience a sensation similar to biting into a bagel that had been toasted with a blow torch for about 40 minutes. Not sure what it is that causes this, it is unlike any tobacco I've ever tried. Don't get me wrong, the baccy is not that touchy. You can puff at reasonable intervals, and get yourself a healthy mouthful of delightful white smoke; just don't pull like a drowning man who has just surfaced for air.

Update 8/25/10: aged a bit this blend only gets better. A lovely bread flavor on first light, followed by a nutty flavor. There is an underlying sweetness that is followed by a bit of "tart" (sweet-tart?) on the tip of the tongue. Make sure you don't over-dry the blend before lighting. Worth aging. With a normal amount of controlled puffing, you can smoke bowl after bowl of this and it will reward you with a mild nutty aroma from the start, and a develop a subtle sweet taste as it progresses. It takes a bit of practice to keep the little cubes lit, and I wouldn't recommend it coupled with activities that require much motion. The cubes can fall out if you are tipping your pipe to violently, and they are often glowing orange. I have decided to give the blend 3 stars. As I said before, it reaches the mark because it is near perfectly done for what it is intended, a lite cube cut nutty flavored blend that can be smoked forever without issue.

Further Update: The tobacco has a traces of a natural caramel taste as long as you pull on it slowly. It is enjoyable but not practical because it can fall out of your bowl if you are doing anything but sitting. I wonder if it would burn better as a flake (and subsequently taste better due to a milder burn). If PS were to put this into a flake, I'm betting they would have a greater number of people trying this blend. Still a good smoke, but could improve with a better cut. still 3 stars.

Update: 2-2014 About 4 1/2 years of age this blend does change. While burley does not usually improve with aging, this blend is an exception probably due to the VA component. I will say this also, there is a significant VA presence in this tobacco. PS VA's, in my opinion, change more dramatically than other VA's. they become darker and sweeter to a greater degree than, for example, FVF. I'm still leaving this at 3 stars because that is where I started and it certainly has gotten better. If I were to change anything I would have started it at 2 stars and then progressed to 3 stars.

There are many who complain of a tongue burn from this blend. I have a very weak tongue ... it will burn or feel like "cloth" after a smoke very easily. This blend MUST be sipped. To do that, you will need to do relights. But it is worth it for the sweet nutty vanilla/carmel flavor that is imparted from only tobacco. I also want to mention that I am quite sure that this is the starter blend used to make Wilke NBB, as well as TB's Grandfather. I suspected this so did a bit of investigating, and while nobody was going to tell me intentionally, after being on the phone with the right folk ...I got the strong impression that I was right about this.

Pipe Used: Old Karl Erik

Age When Smoked: 1-4

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)

Just a small addition to the many reviews already afforded this fine tobacco. I definitely sense a very mild flavoring/topping. it is very low key, and never turns into that nasty tongue fuzz that the PG laced additives create. Easy to pack, easy to light. Good consistent flavor. Dry it a bit if it gets wet for you and it is still great. Also works in any type of bowl. Try it. It's cheap too.

I like this blend a great deal. As someone had mentioned, this indeed looks like grapenuts...smallish tough cubes which make filling the pipe very easy. The initial lighting is important, spend some time getting it going and you will be rewarded. Dry this one out well and you'll have better luck with it burning more evenly. Now thats out of the way it burns pretty well...a nice slow burn. The aroma is slightly sweetish, like maple, in the bag. Though that maple can't really be discerned in the flavor, it comes up from time to time while smoking in the aroma (very nice) however never cloying. It has that typical nutty aroma but not as strongly as other burlies I've tried. I have been smoking more OTC burlies but wanted something more full bodied and this hits the spot...the VAs help with this. I got a little tongue bite when I first started this bowl but that subsided quickly. The price is pretty good for this, though many online sellers may be out since It took a little time to obtain. Give it a try...Highly recommended.

Update: 09/18/2009 Several bowls later this blend has disappointed me. The tongue bite I experienced slightly seemed to increase and as one reviewer already mentioned it feels like "mouth-bite". My entire mouth was feeling scorched...a shame really since this had so much going for it. I have to downgrade this to not recommended since I'm simply not able to smoke it due to the burn.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is what pipe smoking is all about. The only other Stokkebye I know is Balkan Supreme, a singularly fantastic blend. Cube Cut is equally fantastic, in its own way.

Small cubes, somewhat logically, that pile up in the pipe and can't be tamped down easily. It tends to go out until enough cubes have ignited, but the patience is well rewarded.

What a flavour -- burley and virginia, as stated -- and I did not detect any real casing taste. Just pure tobacco, burning very slowly. This is similar to the classic burley blends. I have not tried Half-and-Half, but consider this a half-and-half blend. I would not regard Cube Cut as better than the classics, but an addition to the line-up, and I could adopt this as my ERR replacement. I sense some similarities, and would recommend this to anyone looking for a replacement to ERR or an alternative to CH, Sir Walter and the others.

Maybe after some aging Cube Cut will change a little. Some say burleys don't store well, but others don't seem to agree. I plan to sock away quite a lot for the inevitable tobacco drought within the next couple of decades, but will keep some on hand to smoke regularly. At the price, this stuff is almost a gift.

Interesting thing is -- no bite. No little ferrets nibbling the mouth or big dogs snapping their jaws. Not a lot of N punch in this, so I will probably make it my morning smoke.

This is a very delicious cube cute burley/Virginia tobacco top flavored with soft honey like, giving a sweet ?cream caramel? and creamy orange after taste, it tastes tobacco and smells very nice in the pouch. Burns slow, easy and clean. Small bowl seems to give better flavor.

I added this one to my 10 top favorite Va/burley list.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Blends like this have reduced my intake of blends like Granger and their ilk to zero. As the companies which own the venerable trademarks count on the name to make up for gradually declining quality, here is a humble, very reasonably priced alternative.

My tastebuds don't pick up any topping, but I won't argue if yours do; I just get fine quality burley with just enough virginia to stave off monotony.

I had to adjust my smoking technique to deal with what is a new cut for me: just a light fill, about three-quarters of a bowl, and a gentle tamp, and away I go.

I'm quite happy to have taken everyone's advice on this one. Should I mention that this is bliss in a cob?

Just a brief addition. I have been working my way through a pound of this and the room note has recieved nothing but praise from those around me. So, it's dirt cheap, tastes like real tobacco, and generates praise from those near and far. Maybe the next order should be for two pounds?

09-22-04 there is not much to say other than this is a staple of mine that I always come back to when taking breaks from all the other tobacs I smoke. My friends always harass me because I smoke this blend, but I guess it reminds me so much of my deceased Father, I just have to have this in my rotation always. You either like the Burley grassiness or you don't. Packs easily, lights easily, has a nutty, sweet finish. I find it as a nice palate cleanser. Lastly, you do have to smoke it like a VA otherwise it will bite your tongue.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Points

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

PS Cube Cut was another of my stops to find a replacement for Sir Walter Raleigh. This is a straight cube cut, whereas SWR is a mixture of cube and crushed plug (or, at least, some loose non-cube tobacco).

I have had nothing but trouble with this from the get-go. Hard to light and get going, I have (as suggested below) tried "toasting" the top, rubbing some of it out and placing the result on top, and topping the bowl of Cube Cut with some other ribbon cut tobacco. I have gravity packed, tightly packed, packed, unpacked and repacked. Nothing has worked consistently. I always end up with either a bowl in perpetual need of relighting or scorching my tongue. Now, when I look at this mixture I have visual flashbacks of the album cover from Frank Zappa's "Weasels Ripped My Flesh".

I used to think SWR was bad about jumping out of the bowl, but Cube Cut has it beaten by a mile. The few times I have gotten Cube Cut going moderately well have convinced me that not only is it no replacement for SWR, but that it isn't for me.

Somewhat recommended. I'm sure, based on previous reviews, that some will find it pleasant. I'll use what's left of my stash for blending.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: from bulk

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Many thanks to Anchkema for the fine review of this tobacco. It reminded me of the batch lurking in my cupboard since 2006.

Cube Cut is pure heaven once you get the knack, but pure hell before you do. I've found there are two tricks to entering Cube Cut heaven:

1. Pack it VERY loosely: just gravity fill the bowl and even off the top.

2. NEVER puff-puff-puff when you light the bowl: simply bring the flame to the tobacco and draw gently once or at most twice. To get it going you'll need to relight about a half-dozen times.

The burley adds depth to the flavour and aroma. A nice companionable smoke.

UPDATE 25 August 2013:

This tobacco I now Highly Recommend. The flavour, aroma, and slow burn are marvelous, particularly in a corncob pipe. If you have the patience to cultivate an appreciation for mild tobaccos, this is a top quality Virginia-Burley blend. There's no burley harshness whatsoever, and the creamy mellowness when blown through the nose is intensely enjoyable.

The high quality and fair price of this exceptional tobacco speak well for the Danish blending house of Stokkebye.

calipuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calipuffer (3)
Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a hard tobacco to enjoy. Not since I began smoking tobacco 20 years ago have I suffered mouth burn and tongue bit as I have from this. I have also learned not to give up too quickly and tried in different pipes. For the most part, this tobacco is hard to smoke, will bite easily and can lead to strong/long pulls which lead to mouth burn from hot smoke. It is hard to light, and what I've found works is to toast the top layer without drawing through the pipe for a few mins to get the top layer "toasted." The best advice I can offer is that this works best in a small diameter bowl with tall sides (chimney style). That resulted in a flavor rich smoke and allowed the cubes to burn well. It has quite a nicotine hit. Tough to enjoy, but does have nice burley flavor once going.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classic cube cut burley with just a bit of virginia for sweetness. In many ways, it reminds me of Carter Hall, but in cube cut form. It probably has more of a topping than CH, though, as there is definitely quite a bit more sweet honey type flavor than would be typical in an uncased tobacco.

Burns very slow, ideal for outdoors in windy conditions.

robo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robo (6)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really enjoy this baccy a lot. As you are filling the pipe squeeze the cubes and break up or flatten out the cube baccy on top. This will help with the lighting and make for even burning.

I like the flavor of the burley. No bite. Just a enjoyable smoke that will get a compliment or two on the aroma. Some nuttiness and it seems to taste a little bit of caramel.

3 1/2 stars.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you are a Virginnia/ Burley fan you owe it to yourself to try this one. When you want a no-nonsense tobacco with plenty of punch, fire up a small to medium bowl with this smooth and rich cube cut mixture.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As others noted, it's best to gravity pack this blend. Watch out for cube embers leaping out of the bowl and burning a hole in what you're wearing. It takes a few lights to get it going, and you'll have to relight a few times as you smoke. It's a blend best sipped as it is a slow burner, and if you puff fast, may nip at your tongue. The red Virginia add a sweet and tang flavor to the toasty burley. The burley doesn't have any real nuttiness to it, but does sport a molasses taste reminiscent of Carter Hall. Not a great blend, but good for the price and a decent change of pace from other burley blends. More of a two and half star product.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was interested in trying a cube cut tobacco, and this was a pleasant lightly topped burley/Va. It burns slowly, and the taste is fairly mild. What I got was good and it was on the burley end of the spectrum. I had a lot of success mixing it with things like Sugar Barrel that burn too quickly for me. When smoking it as is, I gravity fed tall, narrow bowls.

The cube "coals" are prone to hop out of the pipe, so be aware...

Edt 7/17/14 I find I am smoking this more frequently, and I find it to be a satisfying smoke by itself. It has a simplicity that I like, and you get used to the way it smokes. I am just about through with 8 oz of it, and I will get more when I run out. I am adjusting the room note to favorable since my wife commented that she really liked the smell of it.

This was a really nice smoke, but I just couldn't get it to not bite my mouth...entire mouth that is. It was a very odd sensation to feel my whole mouth hurting. There is something noxious about this and I had to put the pipe down midway. Too bad really, it seemed processed really well in its construction and had a nice aroma.

May all your weed set you at peace.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked the taste of this blend but not as much as Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh. On top of that I found this blend difficult to keep lit and had a tendency to bite as others have said. There's better Burley blends out there.

Soli Deo gloria!

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

I've tried many P.S. blends, but this one just ain't my cup o tea. No matter how I prep this, left whole, partially rubbed out, or totally rubbed out, the evil bite monster rears up and leaves my tongue and upper palate in great distress. I've tried several sized pipes with this blend, all to no avail. I'll stick with Pete's Navy Flake. More flavor, and no bite.

On another note, I mixed a bit of the cubed cut with some RLP-6, which cut down on the sweetness of the RLP-6, but kicked up the heat on my tongue once more. I should have known that something looking like Grapenuts Cereal would end up being a disappointment...

Old-China-Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old-China-Pipe (3)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Pretty disappointed with this one.

It was slow burning but difficult to keep alight. Nothing special in the taste department. Slight hint of hops at the start and later, imaginings of bourbon whiskey...but they were very faint and distant impressions. What I got mainly was sweetness and tongue bite.

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is like a "Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde". When I got this,it was dry but I smoked untouched.The taste was like a "Cube cut burley a la Thailand's green chili sauce".It burned whole my mouth like hell. I sprinkled some brandy on and waited 2 days until the moisture permeated.Now,it's completely different from 2 days before.It became mild,sweet and a bit spicy ordinary tobacco.If you like that stuff,you may try.For me,it was not bad but not the best.

Blade One Star Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade One Star (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I didn't have trouble lighting this tobacco or keeping it lit. It isn't bad except it tends to bite.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a nice change of pace from my usual traditional English blends. I smoked mine in a large meer and had no problem with it burning hot as a lot of burleys do. A very pleasant and distinctive taste to me. Burns really slow. I had no trouble keeping lit as some reviewers have mentioned. I am continually impressed with the PS line.

Very good but a little bitter at the end. Satisfying in a Peretti way. 3 stars

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

P.S. Cube .. Nothing special to add, so I'll keep short. This blend provides a pleasant enought smoke, with some sweetness. But is a real pain to light and keep lit. Even with all that puffing to keep it lit, it still stays fairly well mannered, unlike many others. It may be worth a try.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The description of this blend is dead on, you get virginia and burley the whole way, this is not a complex blend at all, the taste in the first puff is the same taste you get 3/4 of a bowl down last quarter of this seems to get ashy taste this is not uncommon to burley blends, this one is for the patient smoker it tends to bite if puff aggressively, the packing that best seems to fit this is to gravity fill one very light tamp, light and go, is very finnicky to what pipe it seems to like, on my case a Savinelli Oscar 310 KS seems to agree with it best. If your a burley or virginia smoker on a budget this might tie you over till better times arrives, but the monochromatic theme that this blend seems to have (semi-sweet virginia with strong burley) does not do anything for me.

Update 1/8/2011 This blend gets downgraded to 1 star the bite never stops with this one no matter what I tried, it has ruin many pipe days, but I will write this it may be more my tongue disagreeing with this more than this blend just being bitey.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried this on a number of occasions and each time it bit the hell out of me. Ageing does not mitigate this. I think this blend is mostly red VA with a small amount of burley which is why it bites so much. It is also extremely difficult to light. The flavor is pleasant enough but extremely mild, too mild to make it worth the effort to smoke.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

Good cube cut, is almost similar in taste to the Luxury Twist Flake, but this has no hint of spice. He instead has an excellent sweetness with an aftertaste of hazelnut, smoke really well, leaves a good feeling on the whole! I would recommend this to anyone who is a lover of this type of blends. In a small pipe .......is better!

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)

This is a most enjoyable smoke, and I have found it easier to light and keep burning than many reviews had led me to believe. Sipped slowly, this blend yields a lovely nutty, sweet burley smoke with a little muscular structure from the VA. More aggressive puffing brings the astringency and edginess of the VA forward. I do not find it particularly complex, but the experience definitely depends on how it is approached, and I find both faces of this tobacco quite enjoyable. I would have named it Janus. It is a high quality tobacco at a nice, low price. I think it is on par with the luxury twist flake, though different. A nice, contemplative, and comforting offering from Stokkebye.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I find myself impressed with this tobacco. Not impressed from a complex standpoint, more from its straight-forward taste, texture, and aroma.

This can become "bitey" if smoked too hard and quick, but its flavor is very consistent throughout the bowl. I detect a bit of strength at the last of the bowl, otherwise it is a flavorful smoke from the top to bottom of the bowl.

Mostly a matured virginia plug smoker, and strong enjoyment of the heavy Balkan tobaccos, over the last 10-15 years, I have tried more of the "lighter" mixtures/blends. The cube cut is a change of pace and I like to tinker with packing this in different ways and in adjusting the moisture levels. A reasonable price, I usually buy in 1 or 5 pound quantities.

I usually smoke this in a large group 5 size or oversized bowl, and from packing to lighting, I may wait 20 minutes. Cube Cut is an excellent morning and afternoon smoke and like many burley tobaccos, sets up a nice cake quickly. Very much worth a try, and a tobacco that stays in my rotation.

...a pipe is to be savored...

'Baccy'Ho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
'Baccy'Ho (10)

I was introduced to this by a member of ASP that has also reviewed this fine tobacco product. I have smoked it daily ever since. I find this blend to be easy to pack, easy to smoke, bite free for me, and because of the Virginia content, sweetens somewhat with age. I have been smoking 2-3 lbs of this stuff a year for the past 3 years. Some detect some sort of topping, at times I can too, but it is so subdued, it is barely detectable. I just like it. To me, it is what a good pipe tobacco should be. It can be difficult to light to uninitiated, but after proper packing is observed, and proper lighting is learned, it provides a good long lasting cool and satisfying smoke. It isn't the wife's favorite, but she doesn't mind the room note too badly, as long as I don't drop any latakia bombs in the house, she is happy. I should also mention that even in today's tobacco tax happy times, 5 lbs can still be had at a great price.

If you like Va/burley blends, and are a fan of cube cut tobaccos, give this a try. I suspect you will like it.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (37)

Stokkebye?s ?Cube Cut? tobacco has a gentle, very complimentary fruit-like flavoring of some kind; whether it is a top dressing, casing sauce, or natural additive I cannot say. It may even be the magical result of ?Cavendish pressing? Tennessee Burley and aged red Virginias (but I doubt it.) It reminds me of the apple-like flavoring I detect in Kentucky Club?s ?non-aromatic? blend ? the one in the blue & white can. That said, I hasten to add that Stokkebye?s use of that flavoring is far more restrained and seemingly appropriate for the blend.

All you need to know about this stuff is covered in kilted1?s review of 01/23/2006; and I couldn?t describe the experience any more accurately or eloquently. I will say, however, that I had a lot more trouble with it than he did.

My chief gripe owes to my lack of technique in handling the hard, very uniform ⅛? cubes, or nuggets of pressed tobacco. It was difficult to light; demanded way too much attention with the tamper; and resisted every puffing tactic that I tried. I had to puff aggressively to maintain good smoke volume, but that made the tobacco start to bite, and the increased heat also caused the flavor to wash out. If I maintained the right pace to savor the admittedly good taste, I quickly lost the burn. Also, something I rarely experience, every smoke left an unavoidable heel of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl: dry dottle, but dottle none-the-less. Cube Cut burned better in a smaller diameter bowl, but not much better. I also crushed those little wood-like blocks of tobacco somewhat with a mortar and pestle, but that didn?t help too much either.

For me the experience was not as pleasant as pipe smoking should and can be. There are too many good, hassle-free tobaccos out there for me to struggle with Cube Cut.

If you are an outdoor smoker, or your technique is better than mine, or you are enticed by some of the more enthusiastic reviews of this blend, then I suggest you first try a sample, available in 1 oz. packages by OutwestTobacco.com for $2.25 as of this writing.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this tobacco for many reasons. I think it blends well but it is nice on its own too. To my nose there is some fruitiness in the pouch but it is nothing that I would classify as an aromatic. It slowly burns down to a nice white as and never gets too hot, giving my blending habits I like this one mixed in with some Englishes that I think smoke a bit hot.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)

Toasted grapenuts cereal; I want to put this in milk and serve it to the wife the next time she yells at me for pipe smoking in the house.

This is a decent, good burley in the way that the kid down the street is an honest, hard-working kid. I don't really want to shoot the breeze with him on a daily basis but I'll smile and wave hello.

The burley in here tastes good. The VA gives it mid-body. The first part of the bowl is almost cavendish-sweet but that's gone a quarter of the way in.

My ratings: 1 star: wouldn't smoke again 2 star: decent, might smoke again 3 star: will smoke again 4 star: must have on-hand at all times.

This blend : 2.3

Images evoked include a mummified santa clause dropping brain-tweezers into the the parents' stockings of all the bad little boys and girls. It's going to be an undead egyptian Christmas!

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Slow smoking, relatively full tasting burley with little casing. Can become a bit harsh and bitter. Unaffected by aging.

Pack loosely but be careful of spills.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

A friend sent me a generous amount of this tobacco with the promise of more should I like it (evidently it's not his cup of tea). I didn't know what to expect upon first taking a look, but I must say I found this one a very pleasant surprise. Being a Burley fancier, and lover of all things ?Virginia? this one is a definite winner. I smoke several other Peter Stokkebye offerings and it looks as though I'll be adding another to my cellar.

Appearance: Nice cubed Burley and Virginia presentation that reminds me of ?GrapeNuts? cereal (for those not in the USA or Canada, GrapeNuts is a very ?granular? cereal roughly cubed. The colors vary from tans to a deep chestnut brown

Aroma: This mixture has a deep sweet aroma very enticing. Immediately one smells a deep hay-like quality, not of hay in neat bales stacked in the barn; rather of freshly mown hay, slowly drying in the summer sun. Deep, sharp and earthy. Carmel tones and nuts are evident, as in pecan or butternut. There is a darker scent to this as well leading me to believe that some of the leaf has been toasted in some manor. There seems to be a slight ?fruit essence? used at some point, though just by smelling it alone, I'd be hard pressed to identify it.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture and I employed a gravity feed and a very slight hand packing the bowl. I have chosen a Jan Zeman YPSC 2003 Volcano/Bulldog which I smoke VaBur mixtures in frequently. Several bowls of Cube Cut have been smoked in this pipe to reduce other blend prejudices.

Lighting can be a little temperamental with this one until it really gets going frequent re-lights are necessary. As expected, the initial flavor very Burley, with a thick silky mouth feel, brighter notes of fruits and caramel are evident from the fine Virginia. Hay-like tones and smells and flavors of Autumn are abundant with deepening flavors of nuts and a slight fruit essence (which at least one other reviewer identifies as apple) is noted. While I'd not go as far as to say this is an ?Apple flavored? mixture, I do suspect a small amount of apple essence is used in the product. It is a distinct enhancement flavor, not a dominating one, just ?there enough? to make for interest and something slightly out of the ordinary/

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build the toothsome mixtures of Burley, Virginia, nuts and apples develop in strength slowly along predictable lines. Slowly and gently the blend comes ?together? building in richness and strength to a level of somewhere between ?medium and full?. The rich buttery mouth feel continues building as well making each mouthful of creamy smoke something one savors, not in any hurry to exhale. Once an even light and cadence are achieved this is a self maintaining blend indeed, needing very little attention of tamper. Maintaining the ash is easy as well, and this slow burning blend usually lasts me well over an hour.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the bowl never really changes. This blend remains consistent throughout. The final third has matured nicely with all the flavors working in deepening harmony. Absolutely no temptation toward tongue bite is noted, very cool and even burn rate noted throughout. This is a favorite candidate for outdoor smoking. While not a complex blend at all, Cube Cut has the kind of richness and fullness of flavors to keep my interest without having to think much about it. It seems the perfect companion for outdoor sporting activities such as hunting or fishing or camping especially in cooler weather. I think this blend and a strong cup of ?camp coffee? would warm the soul in ?deer camp?.

Supplemental Notes: I think that Cube Cut has earned a place in my cellar, maybe not for everyday, but for those times when I long to be outdoors all day in less than ?ideal? weather. Rating for those interested in numbers * stars

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got some of this blend to compare it against Edgeworth Sliced and Barbary Coast, and while it does have a bit of resemblance to those, I would not go so far as to say that this blend is a proper bulk alternative to either. However, evaluated on its own merits, this is a fine natural tobacco blend which is very enjoyable.

Rather than a strong grassy note, instead this blend plays more on the woody or nutty flavors typical of burley blends. There is a hint of a grassy flavor, but I find that this blend actually resembles Half and Half more than Edgeworth or Barbary Coast. There seems to be a very light topping reminiscent of apples, as other reviewers have noted, which to me tastes a lot like what H&H uses, except it is much more conservatively applied in Cube Cut.

Upon lighting, one initially tastes the apple type flavor. Then a slight grassy note appears but soon subsides into a rather strong woody and nutty flavor. This blend has essentially zero tongue bite factor, so you can enjoy the full taste without fear. For a burley blend this has heaps of good flavor, so I find that this blend is to my liking.

Overall, Cube Cut is a good tasty burley based blend which reminds me mostly of Half & Half but is a notch or two better in my opinion: it has more flavor yet it is more refined. I'm not sorry that I ordered a pound of this, and for the excellent bulk price I may get more when this is all gone. Considering the good taste and minimal bite factor this batch probably won't last long. I feel like smoking another bowl of it already.