BrandImperial Tobacco Group, PLC
2.6
Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (27)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In France we call this blend type "braun tobacco". I don't know if there's a counterpart word in english. Whatever ! You must smoke this tobacco dryer that an aromatic tobacco or an english blend, so it can developp all his taste. Not too dry anyway, of course. I suggest you to smoke with something to drink if you don't want to have your mouth slurred because of the dryness of the tobacco. The taste is rather strong, but not the nicotine strength. So if you want a "heavy" tobacco without being dizzy, this tobacco is for you. Even if you're a young smoker. To me, this blend type ("braun" or natural) is my every day tobacco. And when I want more sophisticated taste, I turn to english mixtures. If I can smoke it every day, it's because I find it good. So I highly recommend it.

Similar Blends: Traditab - 1637, Joseph Martin - Semois Lux No. 3, Joseph Martin - Langue de Chien, Joseph Martin - Old Bohan, Vincent Manil - Réserve du Patron, Vincent Manil - La Brumeuse.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Also brought by French buddies of mine, at the same time as the Caporal and Caporal Export.

This is a more refined and smoother version than the Caporal line, in accordance with some of the other reviewers.

Less acrid and harsh, but still strong, because based on the Scaferlati tobacco. But I managed to finish off the pouch.

I guess I could like it if I smoked it while getting drunk on Calvados: the strong liquor would smooth out the strong bakkie. But I didn't try it.

For those who have hair on their chest only.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a better version of the Caporal export, if you look for a refined and complex smoke. This contains a part of Virginia and a part of Semois leaf, so it returns more subtleties during the smoke than his Caporal cousin. It is sweeter, firstly, and a lot less hot, but pay the same attention in smoking it slow because it can easily turn bitter.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Cheap french drugstore Caporal blend The same leaf as in Gaulloises cigarettes but more rough-cut. It burns damn fast, and is impossible to inhale without getting serious breathing problems. And no, I'm not a neophyte - I smoke Royal Yacht and love it.

If you like Caporal style blends, this might ring your bell - I'll just steer clear.......

Le2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le2 (7)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It has got a havana like taste at firstbut turns into kentucky futher down the bowl. Samson and Drum are about the same exept for the cut

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

The St. Claude I am smoking I have had for quite a while and it is thoroughly dried out. It is a medium brown ribbon, a bit tangly but not too difficult to pack. The smoke is mild with no bite. It has a distinctive nut-like flavor which could be entirely due to the Kentucky burly or it could be a flavor enhancer because it is not a drugstore burly. I have picked up this flavor in a couple of Germain tobaccos. There is plenty of tobacco flavor which I like. The only drawbacks are that it burns far too fast and it is difficult to get. I doubt that I will go to the trouble of searching out a regular source for this tobacco, but if I could get it easily I would keep it on hand. Well recommended

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

One of the classic French national offerings, made for about 92.5% of tobacco and the rest of additives (which certainly contribute to the strong sweetish/honeyish smell of the mixture) as the pouch states. It comes quite dry, in a ribbon cut which is more suitable for pipe smoking than the shag cut of many similar Italian offerings. The taste is, anyway, similar to that of the Italian traditional tobaccos (after all, Italy and France are quite near...): half way between Comune and Forte, if you have tried them. The taste offers a rustic taste which shows some sweetness from the virginias and some woody bitterness (especially at the end of the bowl) typical of burley or kentucky. It is also reminiscent of some versions of Half&Half that have appeared in these last years. Not a completely bad tobacco, but not one that I would gladly smoke every day... It burns fast and even. Beware because it dries VERY fast, and when it does it becomes unbearably bitter like a bad cigar! Well, it does so even when at the right moisture... but only at the end of the bowl!

Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

I bought a pack of this while in Nice France and I found it to be a very strong, heady blend but full of tobacco flavor and very little additives or flavoring. It is not for the weak of heart but for an experienced smoker like myself (47 years) I found it to be very enjoyable. I like a blend that can be strong yet be enjoyable to smoke and I smoked the pack of this in a very quick time. It does burn fast, but it is very easy to pack and light. I also found it left a strong tobacco aroma on my beard and clothes, not a bother to me but might be to nonsmokers around. The room note is very strong and heavy but still pleasing to me. I bought this in a rollup pack and containing a rough cut khaki brown tobacco with the perfect moisture content. The pouch aroma almost has a Lakeland like aroma but I could not taste this while smoking it. What I did taste was just a full flavored tobacco flavor with a head on it. It does not bite though and it burns quite easily all the way down in my pipe leaving very little moisture or dottle. This was an interesting blend that I wish I had bought more of as I have never seen it in the States. If you are a fan of strong tobaccos, I would highly recommend giving this a try. I enjoyed it very much.

Pipe Used: Briars and Falcons

Age When Smoked: Right off the shelf

Purchased From: Tobacco shop in Nice France

Similar Blends: Five Brothers and Dark Birdseye..

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)

A lighter scaferlati that could be smoked all day. Brown tobacco still dominates with that roasted, earthy, cigar like taste. A no fuss, inexpensive pouch tobacco that could be bought in Tabac stores in France at around 7 euros. It's good to know that Europe still has some affordable pipe tobacco. The same cannot be said about those tinned ones whose price has doubled because of new taxes.

Stiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stiff (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I use it to cut aromatics with and get a dryer mixture as an everyday smoke. Other than that I don't really use that stuff by itself, it is strong and harsh with a potent roasted smell. This is not for sissies. Some of the reviews evoke some kind of honey casing...well, I can't find any of that, even when I open a fresh pouch, only what a gypsy caravan would probably smell like... Fairly available all over France.

kestrel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kestrel (3)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Picked some of this up while traveling in France. This is a good basic tobacco. Nothing too interesting, but the Kentucky does add a nice smoky flair to this basic, light smoking blend. It's mostly just a light smoke, with the flavor from the Kentucky, and a mild sweetness from the Virginia. I don't really get much of the typical nutty Burley flavor, but maybe a little bit of chocolate.

Kind of bland, good to smoke when you want one that doesn't get in the way.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

I agree with Mr Zorg, this is worth trying.

Also it is easy to pack, light and smoke. It delivers earthy, woodsy flavors like "Gris" does but has a somewhat broader cut to it.

I obtained some St-Claude, Gris, Caporal Export as well as Belgian Semois and am a big fan of these tobaccos.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Strong Mild Very Full Strong

I smoked Saint-Claude for years. It will give you a nice nicotine kick, if you like that.

It is a typical French blend, a little more elaborated than Scaferlattis and Caporals though.

In that range of tobaccos, I would also advise the different Semois from Belgium.

Every once in a while, I get back to it. It is not a sophisticated blend at all, but it will not make your pipe stinks either.

One of the tobaccos that are easy to find in France, and that is worth trying, in my opinion.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Apparently this tobacco is now very hard to get...

If you can try it, then do. It is another typical scaferlati tobacco, cased with honey and of a broader cut than Scaferlati Caporal and Caporal export.

Nice smoky, spicy and sweet taste. Burns well without a bite if there is a minimal moisture in it.

I enjoyed it!

tritrek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tritrek (6)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first French blend I've tried so far, I've picked it up in Paris just recently during my honeymoon. The tobacco looks like something between roll-yer-own cigarette tobacco and a classic ribbon cut. The tobacco in the pouch was just right after opening (for somebody might be a little dry-ish). Burns evenly however it needs a bit of an attention as it has a tendency to burn fast (and hot and bitter) but if you watch it it's a treat. All-in-all it's an easy natural, rather rustic tobacco of a cigaretty/cigary/earthy flavour.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

St. Claude tastes very similar to Five Brothers. The Virginia presence here though, brings out a bit more tang. I really liked my pouch and would not turn down more. Straight forward, in your face tobacco taste. Ribbon cut and dry in the pouch, it burned quickly and easily from top to bottom. Good stuff!

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the tobacco that a relative of my wife smokes all day, everyday. Along with 3 hour meals, fine wines, alcool de prune (and a chateau in the south of France) I took it that St Claude was part of that French art of living. So the next time I was in France (honeymoon in Paris) of course I picked up a pouch of this! So it is a rather blonde ribon cut. Pouch has indeed a sweetish/honeyish smell, but when smoked, IMHO this is straight tobacco. I feel the urge to compare it to caporal, or st. bruno ready rubbed or even semois, but it is way less robust and strong than those. In fact it is well behaved, no bite, pure tobacco room note ? but not arcid in any way. Ok, it burns fast. But sometimes it is nice to be able to finish a bowl in 30 minutes. So why don?t I smoke this more often? Does the retsina taste as good at home as on holliday in Greece?