Brobergs Cambridge Mixture / Finest Mixture Mild is a mild,
continuously popular and well respected mixture containing Latakia. Oldest
House Blend of the Brobergs Tobacconists of Sweden.

BrandBrobergs Tobakshandel AB
Blended ByBrobergs Tobacconists
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia
CountrySE
Strength
Very Mild, Medium
Extremely Mild
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Quite deep, slightly pungent fruitreminescent tin aroma, with the distinctive latakia melded into it. Color is ranging from deep, dark brown to lighter brown, with black specles of latakia, and a small portion of cavendish. Cut is thin and packing is very easy, and the tobacco tastes best for me with a standard 3'rd by 3'rd packing (though other methods works, too). Lighting is easy, and subsequent burning is no problem whatsoever, and ends with few residues and thin, gray ashes. Generally speaking it is very easy-going and well behaved. Some minor bite while charring, no real bite problems after that.

Brobergs Cambridge Mixture is a light bodied tobacco with very apparent creaminess and some nuttiness that is well rounded off by the latakia. The latakia probably isn't enough for the hard core latakia lover. Further more, it has a few spicy top notes here and there, as well. First 3'rd of the bowl is pretty consistent, creaminess is the most dominant. As you start getting into the second 3'rd and the bottom, the creamy and nutty tastes subside a little to give way for a little more intense, yet sublime, smoky flavor, which also have a little sweet aftertaste. In the last moments of the bowl, the creaminess returns and slowly dies out along with the rest of the bowl.

It is a quite enjoyable tobacco, and to my surprise it packs a moderate nicotine punch (it could of course always be higher, if you ask me). It will have a place in my rotation for day time smoking. Should you come across it, by all means, get a tin (especially if you're Swedish, as it is widely available thanks to a most excellent mailorder service).

Highly recomended for what it is; a light and creamy latakia mixture, that, as my predecessor stated, would be well suited for the inexperienced smoker curious about latakia, not to mention others seeking a good and consistent latakia mixture.

---

Update 2009-11-03:

Coming back to this blend (the same tin as I reviewed before, in fact, kept in suspended animation in a tupperware) I was curious to see how it had held up, and also in the mood for something "english", so I packed a bowl in one of my Peterson System pipes. And it's still pretty much as I remember it was, perhaps a little bit more mellow, but essentially the same. My tastes have changed somewhat, and I am long since past my experimentations with latakia mixtures, it didn't quite ring the same bells it did a couple of years back. Based on what it is now, and how I perceived it back then, it is clearly no four star mixture (and thus I have downgraded my rating accordingly). It's still good, though, and I do believe that it would have quite a few fans if it was brought out on the international market. Should you want to try it, be prepared to fork over a significant amount of your dough. The price is outrageous. How does €39/$57 per tin sound to you? No, that's not robbery, that's Swedish tobacco tax.

So with that in mind, it's extremely unlikely I'll buy another tin in the future. Sad, but true. But then again, with the rate I'm smoking this tin, it'll probably last me a year or so more, so it could be worse.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This was my very first excursion into Latakia country, and it will always be a pivoting point in my tobacco judgement history. This blend is the house blend of "my" tobacconist, and they have been mixing it for over a century. There is not an abundance of Latakia, but enough to make its prescence known throughout the bowl. The Viriginias used are of high quality and the Cavendish varieties are not to sweet, but create perfect balance. It's an excellent "first" English mixture as it is quite mild but yet very tasty. For me it whetted my appetite for English/Balkan mixtures, and the die-hard Latakia lover might be a bit disappointed at this mixture. I keep returning to this one when ever I need to synchronise my taste, or just for a very nice evening smoke. Or morning. Heck, I'd smoke it at any time, it is that good! Might be hard to get hold of outside of Sweden, but Brobergs do sell it over the Internet on their http://www.brobergs.com site (which unfortunately is only in Swedish at the moment).