None provided.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutShag
Strength
Taste
2.5
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I think I will concur with points made by both of my fellow reviewers of this G&H Blend... It did remind of cigarettes in both taste and odor and I did feel a somewhat harsh "Bang" in my mouth while puffing the first 1/3 of the bowl. I often make it to the bottom of the bowl before chucking a blend that my chemical makeup just won't tolerate, but this one had me crying uncle well before the bottom.

Burley was the dominant leaf I detected, not the Virginia. I never tasted Chocolate either but Vanilla (in its bitter, pre-processed state), might be an accurate descriptive.

For those pipe smokers among us who enjoy Prince Albert, this blend will probably be a marvelous step up in class. Personally, I thought it smoked a lot like the newest morfing of Half and Half which is another Burley and Bright blend that has been around for eons, but has changed in taste after being yo-yoed from one blending house to another.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)

This is a very lightly aromatic golden shag blend that looks and smokes somewhat like cigarette tobacco. Dominated by virginia discretely cased with vanilla, with a much smaller proportion of burely cased with cocoa. So, we got a "chocolate" thing going on here. The casing is more of a subtle aroma enhancement than flavor one. It smokes dry, with some warmth from the dominance of virginia but not to heavy to the point of biting. I did not find the flavor all that smooth, even a slight bitterness but overall pleasant enough however not all that flavorfull. I think a heavier added sweetness would smooth and improve this blend. The slight burning herbal bitter quality may be from the casings, the cocoa in paticuliar since I seem to notice a similiar quality in their Best Brown #2 which I hypothesize has a light casing of such with perhaps the addition liqorice. All in all a so so blend that can withstand improvement.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)

It's funny the previous reviewer likened this to cigarette tobacco. Memories of Prince Albert, albeit less chemically preserved, immediately sprang to mind upon lighting.

There is a faint irish-spring freshness in the blend along with almond-joy sans chocolate tastinuss.

I like burley - I don't mind this mixture.

Images evoked include a skeleton of a chipmunk being animated by a puppeteer's strings to an audience of lobotomized criminals.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 57;

Rated Percentage = 95%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, nice Natural Tobacco Flavor, No Bite, White Ash Burn.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was very disappointed with this one. This was the first GH blend I've tried that didn't earn at least three stars. It was somewhat harsh and irritating with very little of either burley's traditional "nutty" flavor or sweetness from the Vas. The flavoring was little better -- basically the same type of vanilla/cocoa sauce that's found on countless American aromatics, only it clashed terribly with the base leaf. And, to add insult to injury, it bit me some. Definitely not recommended.

To give this two stars is stretching it a little. This is one of the few blends by this company that I did not really like. It has a half way decent burley taste, but it tastes too much like a cigarette to me. There's a little floral taste that I did not enjoy, either. Very ashy. It does burn very nicely and you won't waste any at the bottom as it is a shag cut. I smoked a sampler of it and by the time I finished, it started to grow on me a little, but there's just too many burley blends that are better, so concentrate on them and not this. You'll be glad you did.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

I love burley blends but was disapointed with this blend. The flavor was fairly bland but the smoking qualitys are good. If you love burley blends I say try the many C&D burley blends out there. There are too many great burley blends out there for this to be in my rotation. G&H has many other great blends out there and I would recommend trying some of their other offerings.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (35)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

My G&H tour continues with a blend that I had initially passed over many times when looking at the different G&H bulk offerings. It seemed too simple and with a little vanilla and chocolate flavoring my aversion to aromatics steered me far away from this tobak. Nothing against aromatics but I'm not a fan.

I enjoy burleys in all their simplicity and utility. I also find that bright Virginias don't always agree with me and tend to bite me pretty hard. I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I ordered some Burley & Bright but I figured it was worth a shot just to try it.

The smell from the bag was absolutely heavenly. A nice earthy burley along with some sweet notes provided by the Virginia and toppings that seem to have been very discretely applied. The cut is a nice thin ribbon bordering on shag. Other reviewers have compared it to cigarette tobacco but I don't think it's quite that fine or even smells like cigarette tobacco. This could be a versatile RYO or pipe tobacco but I wouldn't waste something like this on RYO.

Packing is an easy affair just like any ribbon cut. Just be sure that you don't pack it too tightly otherwise you'll end up with a hard draw and a wet heel from smoking too hard to keep it lit. This blend burns quite well and there have been no issues keeping it lit due to the fine cut. The first light produces a nice volume of smoke that gives an initial burst of sweetness followed by the earthy and slightly nutty burleys. The bright virginias chime in just a bit and provide a nice sweetness. The vanilla and chocolate that have been noted in the description really only seem present (and only very slightly) in the room note and when you breathe the smoke through your nose. Definitely more of a suggestion or feeling of those components and in no way out of place or intrusive.

The nicotine is in the solidly medium range and while the smoke is full bodied and mild in taste you know you've had a smoke after a bowl of this. I think this makes the perfect morning smoke along with a cup of home roasted coffee. I'm still surprised that G&H has such an offering that is almost like a Lakeland take on Half & Half or Prince Albert. This blend has very high quality leaf in it and it has earned a place in my rotation next to the likes of Prince Albert, C&D Pegasus and C&D Junkyard Dawg. Well done G&H, you've make this burleyphile a happy man.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Nice golden shag, and I have to agree somewhat with the cigarette comparison. It did have a bit of a cig flavor, but a good handmade cigarette. The nicotine content seemed high as well. This was not a mellow blend in my opinion, but a sharp flavor burst and the nic kicked in quickly (alliteration for ya!).

The flavor was a very light sweetness along with a fair amount of body and "zing". The burley and virginias merged seamlessly. If I were a morning smoker, this would be a good start to the day. It burned nicely, if a little quickly, due to the shag cut. I didn't taste vanilla or chocolate but admittedly my taste buds for things outside of tobacco are a bit lacking when I'm tasting a tobacco blend. As I mentioned, there was some sweetness that isn't in straight burley or virginia tobaccos, so there is definitely some added casing. But it wasn't enough to make this an aromatic. This is a more robust smoke but not strong with some sharp flavor that isn't overwhelming. A good, occasional blend for when I want a pick-me-up.

Desperado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Desperado (5)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

It really looks like cigarette tobacco, but its taste has, well almost, nothing to do with it. Chocolate?, vanilla, hmm, I didn't find them either. It really increases temperature, but I didn't get any tongue bite, even if I forced the bowl. It is slightly bitter, which I like in burley blends, and burley is the dominant factor here. I am not a specialist in Lakeland blends, but I wouldn't place Bright & Burley in this category. In general, it has an excellent leaf in quality terms, it's easy to pack, keeps easily alight, it has a generous nicotene level, and I could smoke it throughtout the day. 3 (and a half) stars from me.

This is not an American Burley similar to Prince Albert nor the Danish honeyed burley from Mac Baren, this is another kind of burley/Va, less nutty with more body and some Lakeland taste, the vanilla and chocolate are here just as condimental components to give body and flavor but you can?t taste or feel them.

This is a delicious and good quality Burly/Va, especially for Lakeland tobacco fans.