This blend has been created by my experts with more than four
generations of experience from one of their oldest family recipes. Only the
finest Virginia and Burley leaves - stored for more than three years in the
original hogsheads have been used. To unite the fine aromas and ensure extra
mildness the blend has been fermented in the original factory sweat rooms for
several months. Finally I have added only a small amount of the famous
dark-fired Kentucky and Oriental tobaccos to give you a perfection in smoking
pleasure. Hand blended.

2.6
peacepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peacepipe (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A nice little sub-title on the tin states that this is, apparently, "My home blend" of Poul Stanwell. Normally, I'm just not an aromatics man. They gunk up my pipes with sugary residue and semi-permanent flavor-coloring, and rarely seem to taste as good as they smell in the tin/bag. Here's one that breaks away from that: I'd put this is my fave Dunill/Castello/Viprati without a moment's hesitation. When I want to pause from my usual untainted VAs or full-bodied Oriental/Balkan type blends, here's a good place to go. The Danes have scored high here. Stanwell's Jubilee also works well if I'm around non-pipesters as well, reminding folks of their dear old uncle/grandpa or whatever-the-hell. This Jubilee is smooth, present without being harsh/bitey, and doesn't wear it's Cavendish on its sleeve.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

In the mess of the current Stanwell blends, which seem to be more fruit than tobacco, the Jubilee stands out by being, comparatively, lightly flavoured.

The stuff in the tin, once opened, does have a clear vanilla note to it; the leaf is a wide-cut mix of bright and black: definitely more BC in there than the label on the tin lets on. So, wide bowls preferred, lighting may be tricky.

Still, it works well enough for me, and burns down gently. The vanilla is a casing, not a topping, and so stays in the room note throughout the smoke, making this more acceptable to non-smokers in the vicinity. Still, it does not dominate. The taste is mostly the musty sweetness of the BC, some spice (probably the KY) and VA notes on the edge. I am not normally very fond of aromatics, but this one quite simply works.

Not an evening smoke for me, but during the day, Jubilee delivers within the constraints given: no Nic kick, but great aroma, great taste, and very good crowd compatibility. Three solid stars, but it won't be an all-day smoke for me any time soon.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

After having recently sold a few older Jubilee tins on my website, I decided to hold one back to purchase for myself. My pipe club's tobacco bar got the majority of the tin's contents as I was satisfied with the trial after just one bowl.

Way too mild and way too sweet to suit me. However, as an aromatic this one should rate well because it delivers a solid and unrelenting flavor from start to finish and isn't goopy. The Burley in the tobacco is high quality and I did get blasts of Burley flavor every now and then. Mostly though, I tasted fruit and vanilla.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)

This really is a bit of an underrated blend. The style is typical Danish aromatic but it is significantly better behaved than others (spelled Mac Baren). I would categorize Jubilee as a light, "auto-pilot" blend, perfect for when your mind is on something else and you don't or can't concentrate on a complex blend (ala GLP). It is sweet but that's why it's an aromatic! Enjoy it for what it is.

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (20)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco has been one of my favorites for several years now. I don't react well to most English blends (unfortunately, they tend to give me acid indigestion), though I do like the spicy zest of Latakia once in a while, as I am not always in the mood for sweet aromatics. While looking for an alternative, I discovered Stanwell's Jubilee. I would describe the character of this tobacco as straddling the fence between aromatics and English blends. The dark-fired Kentucky and Orientals are just enough to spice things up rather nicely. So here is my review:

Tin note: Natural tobacco with a slight hint of tanned leather; contrary to what some of the previous reviewers mentioned I detect no sweetness, casing or flavouring of any kind.

Moisture content: This tends to vary from tin to tin, depending on where I pick it up. I've had some tins too moist to smoke without leaving them open for a while, but then again I've had a tin or two that were already so dry that I had to remoisturize the tobacco prior to smoking. And of course all stages in between...

Room note: While not apt to win the acclaim of bystanders in the way some flavoured tobaccos are able to do, Jubilee's room note is in no way offensive. Instead, it is a pleasant scent reminiscent of a camp fire with a faint hint of sweetness.

Smoke: An experienced smoker should be able to pack his bowl without any trouble (depending on moisture content - see above), but Jubilee is not a tobacco I would recommend to novice smokers. Due to the Virginia, it can burn hot and bite your tongue if not smoked in a liesurely manner. The taste varies from medium strength to full bodied, with the nuttiness of the Burley leaf nicely accentuated by the spiciness of the Kentucky and Oriental.

I would highly recommend this tobacco to experienced smokers seeking something different from their usual fare, whether you usually prefer aromatics or English blends.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)

It's a classic Danish tobacco.. Though it has all the advantages of the Stanwell tobaccos (no moisture, burns to the end, no tongue bites, smooth burning) the burning aroma is very neutral... I prefer aromatics because I can harldy stand the english blend aroma and this one is a good choice to the everyday smoking when you are about to change the taste of the day. But again, nothing special as it happens exactly with Stanwell's: Classic, Black Diamond and Fruit and Vanilla...

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

A classic Danish tobacco that resembles a lot of tobaccos of this type. My friend Perris suggested it to me and I bought it in Germany from the KaDeWe shop in Berlin. I wasn' t thrilled; furthermore it caused some tongue biting. It is a light tobacco with an average aroma, flat taste and it gives off a nice scent in the room.

What does it contain??? This is a good question and a riddle at the same time. Virginia, Black Cavendish. I couldnt distinguish the perfumes.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

I had modest hopes of this blend. It has a lot of tobaccos that I like in it but was cased with something that while detracts from the natural tobacco taste it does not mask it completely. The tobacco was entirely too wet when purchased so I put some in a pipe and let it rest for a day. When I got back to it I found a blend that was not soaking wet and somewhat pleasant to smoke. I did notice some sugary casing but it was not the in your face Aromatic junk that comes tinned from Europe. There is still a slight tang from the oriental tobacco and the burly seems to be of modest quality. The downside of a burly/aromatic blend, which this blend really is, by the last third of the bowl there is some bitterness and soapy taste. The big upside is, this this blend has the "my grandpa smoked something that smelled like this" effect of the female species. That is always a good thing.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This was kind of a pleasant surprise. My tobacconist had a tin open and suggested we try this together.At the risk of offending anyone I must share a funny anecdote regarding pipers.I am a regular at the 1 great shop in the midwest and have struck up a comfortable kinship with most of the guys working there.One of the older gentlemen has affectionately duubed me a "TOBACCO WHORE" or when he tells the story a "TOBACCO BUM".I really like all styles of quality blends be they aromatics, VIrginias ,or English.I judge them on their respective merits.JUBILEE is really a fine aromatic.I will give a very precise and succint description.This is what Captain Black was supposed to be. It has that type of flavor but in a very natural way.It is not goopy, syrupy, or cloying.You taste the quality from the orientals and the sweetness from the flavoring. All in all a very pleasant aromatic.3 of 4 stars.

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I assumed (incorrectly) that this would be a tobacco that matched the fine quality of Stanwell pipes. What I instead discovered was a very mild and sweet Danish blend that would be better suited spread across my toast at breakfast.

I have tasted many fine Danish blends, and many poor ones too. This blend falls somewhere between fine and poor. The leaf is of good quality, it burns well and does not bite, the room odor is marvelous. It just flat tastes too sweet for me.

If you enjoy quality aromatics, give this a spin and see what you think. If you prefer a more tobacco type of taste, look elsewhere.