BrandSwedish Match
FlavoringRum
CutShag
CountrySE
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
1.7
Prior Wrath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prior Wrath (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Caravelle is thinly cut shag. Might be ok for rolling cigarettes, but damn if I ever let it near my pipes again. There's a small hint of rum in the pouch aroma, but I didn't taste any. It's all Burley, but way too weak to be even decent.

All in all, this is lousy. Too finely cut for pipes, and definitely nothing to spend 8€ for.

MikeHaggarKJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeHaggarKJ (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought this in a small drugstore in Sweden since it was the only option. My pouch was very dry, probably from sitting in the shop for years. I had to rehydrate it. Much off the rum topping may have evaporated since it was so dry (unlikely, but possible) Nice thin cut, almost a shag, similar to Greve Hamiltons. No twigs in my pouch. Nothing tells me the leaf itself is off poor quality. Smells naturally and pleasantly off VA and Burley tobacco, but the smell is barely there. Neither is the taste, this is probably the most flat pipe tobacco I've ever tasted. You get some pleasant burley nuttiness. VA pops up from time to time. So does the rum topping, but it never takes over. Nice change off pace to get the creamier rum-sweetness as a contrast to the citrusy VA. If it had the same taste but 5x more I'd probably like this blend quite a bit. Mild in nicotine but it is there, it works for that purpose. It's easy to pack, easy to light and easy to keep lit.

This is not some sort off chemical goop OTC horror show that you would assume when looking at the price and packaging. It's not even bad. Just absurdly bland and boring.

If you have to choose between this and Borkum Riff, pick this. If your options are some Mac Baren blend(s), Hamiltons and Borkum Riff (common OTC tobaccos here in sweden) only pick this if you know that you dislike the particular Mac Baren blend(s) and/or want something milder than Hamiltons.

I can't really recommend it under any other circumstances although it is a decent smoke and I am enjoying it. There are just SO many other options out there that pull off mild VA/Burs while still having some flavour.

I got slightly more flavour when I smoked it in the only cob I have with me. Makes sense since cobs seem to "filter" less than Briars and meers, I typically get more and harsher flavour as well as more moisture in cobs (others report the opposite when it comes to briar vs meer vs cob YMMV). Could also be ghosting from English blends I've smoked in that cob.

Pipe Used: Meers, cobs, briars

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)

This is the cheapest pipe tobacco one can buy in sweden these days (not that it is cheap though).

Some rum is added to this blend, giving the tobacco some round sweetness, not in any way to sweet, just gently comforting.

upon smoking, the smoke is cool, packs easy, lights easy. An all day smoke.

I usually smoke this when working at my desk. This blend allows you to have your mind on other things, but still enjoy a good smoke. Works very well in a lady pipe or other pipes that have a small bowl.

Nothing extraordninary, but a good quality tobacco; therefore the three stars

==EDIT===

I just had a bowlfull of Samuel Gawith - Full virginia Flake. In the light of that tobacco related orgasm, I cannot keep this at 3 stars. It is not bad, butt hell, it is not as sweet and good as FVF...