A traditional smoke for the discriminating English smoker, this mix of red Virginia, Turkish, burley, latakia and perique is of medium strength and guaranteed to please.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Packaging1.5 ounce pouch, Bulk
Strength
Taste

2.2

The dark fruity and earthy red Virginia is a team player. The lighter Virginia has a light grass and citrus. The Cyprian latakia gives a light smoky, woody sweet push to the flavor, and the Turkish (wood, buttery sweet, lightly sour) and perique (raisins and spice) ingredients are minor players. The nutty, earthy, molasses sweet burley is a supporting player. The fruit topping tones down the tobaccos a little. A dash of rum seems to be present as well. The strength is just short of the center of mild to medium, while the taste level is a step past that. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace; never hot no matter how hard you puff. Has a very consistent, rather smooth flavor, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Needs an average number of relights. A comfortable, easy going all day smoke that wears well with a pleasing after taste and decent room note.

Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

1.5 oz pouch was included with my most recent tobacco order, an unsealed pouch at that. This is another tobacco that comes under the heading of I'll Smoke Anything Once.

Looks and smells in the pouch like a decent sort of blend. Grabbing a pinch shows that this is one moist English mixture. I smoked a bowl fresh out of the pouch and the flavor was nauseating. Drying subsequent bowls yielded an improvement, however slight.

I could pick out the taste of all 5 constituent tobaccos. However, the effect was a serious dumbing down of all of them, into a bland concoction whose only taste was sour hot air. This blend had absolutely no personality of any kind. I don't know if PG has an actual taste but it seemed to do a good job of negating any positive aspects the blend may have started with. It's not a bad blend; it's simply an "also ran" in a very large field of similar blends, most of which better this easily.

1.4 stars. Hard to recommend, unless you want something cheap. Cheap is the one thing this has going for it.

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (30)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This blend is not bad. However, if you are looking for a "traditional smoke for the discriminating English smoker," you will probably be disappointed.

Given the blend is said to include Latakia, Virginia, and Perique, it's surprising how bland and thin tasting it is. I suspect these components are used in lower quantities relative to the Burly base than expected.

To be fair, when smoked in a pipe well-seasoned with prior Latakia use, there were moments of genuine interest and flavor that came through. They just weren't very consistent or very often.

Pipe Used: Various briars dedicated to Latakia

Age When Smoked: Seven years old

poppy43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppy43 (11)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is...crap. I've had it for at least 6 months to let it age a bit and hopefully dry out, it arrived so moist it was hard to keep lit. I added 3 oz. of latakia to it: it's better but still crap. I'm determined not to let any tobacco go to waste, but as soon as I smoke a pipefull I feel I need to smoke something decent just to satisfy my pipe craving. However, the room note isn't bad.

Pipe Used: severak Kaywoodies

Age When Smoked: fresh, 6 months

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

smells awful, and my first bowl was as well. but i decided it was worth another shot. the second bowl was better, then the next was better still, and so on. definetly an aqiured taste.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (15)
Mild Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

What can I say? I wanted to try an english blend and this happend to be the first and only one that I've tried. It has a very noticeable PG coating and taste. So that alone turns me off of this one. But for those of you who don't mind the chemical taste go for it.

Pipe Used: briar

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Upon recommendation from a local tobacconist, I tried this as he swore this would be a comparable English to what I was used to smoking. Well, after purchasing 2 oz. and smoking a few bowls, all I can say is it was a disappointment. It had far less flavor than anything I've smoked. Medium strength it was not either. Needless to say this tobacco became a "gift" to a friend. I'm just glad he got more enjoyment from it than I did. At least it was not a total waste.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Fox & Hound is by far the best blend in the Tobacco Galleria stable. A light American English blend that is perfect for the Aromatic or new smoker wishing to try an English blend that won't overwhelm them with flavor or nicotine. A good all day blend for the cost conscious veteran smoker as well! Mild and yet not too mild, easy to pack, easy to light and easy on the wallet. There's nothing really to complain about, even the pouch is classy :-) Standard American style blend of Burley, red Virginia, Latakia and a little Perique. The Red Virginia and Burley mix gives F&H a nice toasty flavor with the Latakia and Perique adding some Smokey / plummy flavors and a light to medium nicotine kick. Just don't expect a heavy, from the British Isles traditional English and I really think you will enjoy F&H. Price for the bulk version is very inexpensive as well for the quality and for $5 I think you would be hard pressed to find a pouched tobacco this easily available and tasty! I don't see how one could give a Tobacco Galleria aromatic 2 or three stars and give this more traditional tobacco one star, but hey to each his own...

Purchased From: Free Altadis sampler

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)

Driving by JR'S Outlet I just had to stop by. Super cheap bulk and tin prices at 5 to 9 dollars. Heaven in NC for sure. In the bulk section was this Fox and Hound. Sounded interesting. Asked clerk what it was and who made it. Total misinformed. So now the tobacco. Smells so strong but not sure why. Packs very well and easy to light. Smoked it for about an hour in one of my Italian pipes. This is a heavy smoke. I was very shocked as how much smoke that presented. Taste is very mild. Did not feel it was a very strong English blend. Super ash and embers in this was super Nova red. Rarely happens for me that it gets that hot. In all it was ok. I bought 2 ounces and will smoke it over the weekend to see changes.

Pipe Used: Assets Rustic Mag.

Age When Smoked: Bulk direct from store

Purchased From: JR'S Cigar Outlet

teaandpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teaandpipe (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Purchased one ounce to sample, and was very pleased. This is a very underrated blend, IMHO. The latakia comes through, but not at all too strong. Reminds me of the smell of pine, when I smoke this blend. Very happy with this English blend.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Cob

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a relatively new pipe smoker ( August 7th, 2009 was my first pipe and I had some kind of nougat blend) and I have fairly recently attempted to branch out towards English blends. I love a good aromatic, but considering that I live in the middle of nowhere, this little gold and green pouch was really all i could get my hands on.

It has definitely become one of my favorite. I have not eperienced much tongue bite with this one at all. It is not a very strong blend, which helps it in being an everyday smoke, and the room note is has pleasant subtle sweetness to it. I recommend it for those who either want something not so strong but tasty and for those who are trying Englishes for the first time. Cheers!

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

This tobacco was bought at a local brick and mortar under the name Cornish Blend. The presentation was nice. It packed well in a 9mm Bjarne Viking. The taste was middle of the road English. It burned well with no bite, but had a harsh chemical smell. Burned my nose and throat.

I think I will stick with some of the more natural tasting blends in the future. Regardless of the price. F&H was very affordable.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend composed of multi colored brown and dark leaf is surprisingly a very nice smooth smoke. It packs, lights and burns well, not very wet, and burns down to a semi wet dottle at the bottom of the pipe. It is not a bold in your face Latakia and Perique blend like a lot of English blends and if that is what your looking for, this is not the one. But if you want a slightly sweet, smokey and pleasant blend that smokes smooth and with a lot of flavor on the tongue, this is a good one. I found this to be very nice as a night cap blend in a small pipe and with a good stout beer. It is not a tongue singer, but it must be sipped to really enjoy it as it can heat up if smoked too fast. I found the VA sweetness came out wonderfully, the Latakia was a compliment and not the main course, the perique was subtle but there and the burley kept it full and smooth. I will have no problem smoking this blend and while it is not the best English I have smoked, at the price it is hard to beat. I say give it a try and you will be surprised.

cbomce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbomce (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Fox and Hound is what it is. A medium English blend, typical aroma and affordable. It stays lit with a little tending, must be lightly sipped, heavy puffing will rip the hide off your tounge. UNIFORMITY: in the pouch, from first light to last puff, from the first bowl to the last of the pouch even though it took me several weeks to finish the pouch. I look for consistency if I am going to purchase more of a blend and this has it. It is my choice for a change-of-pace since I prefer light aeromatics. I picked up my first pipe over 40 yeas ago and this tobac has a place in my rotation.

I recieved this in a sample pack from Altadis along with 2 other of their blends. I happened to like this one very much. Opening the pouch, I was greeted with the aroma of Latakia - just right for my liking. There was no topping that I could detect. The tobacco was very fresh and springy; by no means wet. It lit very well and stayed lit without a problem. There was no moisture production and no bite. The predominant taste was of Latakia and Turkish, the Turkish adding just the right amount of sweetness to this blend. I didn't actually taste any of the Virginia or Perique, but they may have contributed to the mild spiciness I felt on my lips from time to time. The Burley came through as a firm base that added substance to the overall smoking experience, and the overall taste was consistent throughout.

I'm not a huge fan of Latakia, but enjoy it on occasion. I usually smoke Brindley's Mixture when I want some Latakia, but Fox and Hound will replace it in that venue as it is a bit sweeter tasting for me, which I enjoy. If there was any flavoring added, I couldn't detect it - except for a very mild (and I mean very mild) sense of menthol, and not continuously. I thought this might be the Turkish I was experiencing, but I honestly don't know. I rated the room note as pleasant as I do like the aroma of Latakia and Turkish in a burning pipe. I detected no chemical taste whatsoever, nor was there any left over dottle or goop in the heel of my pipe - a Tinderbox poker that is 30 years old and reserved for Latakia/Turkish smokes. Even though I don't smoke this type of blend on a regular basis, I still rate it 3 stars for what it is - an American/English style pipe tobacco, mild to medium across the board. An enjoyable experience.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

5/30/08 I've tried several Altadis blends, and to me, this is pretty much the only one I've liked so far. Other reviewers have said that they don't taste too much of the Perique, but the batch I got, has a bunch of it. I'm not a fan of Perique, and I would really like to try this blend without it. If Altadis makes something like this without the Perique, someone out there let me know. Overall, not a bad offering from Altadis, and a good intro to the milder English blends...

8/9/08 I'm into about my 4th pouch of this stuff, and I have to say that it really grows on you. As a less expensive English blend, it is a great all day smoke...

This Altadis offering is not as heavy and smoky in flavor as their R.L. Will Long-Cut offering, but you will taste the Latakia as well as the other ingredients. Perique lovers may not like Fox & Hound because it sleeps in the back room of this blend's house, rarely coming out to say hello.

I have not found a cooler burning bulk blend. It is more light than heavy and my local pipe club members (the recipients of a box full of this weed from Altadis) overwhelmingly gave Fox & Hound a thumbs up.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

Slightly bitter taste with aroma of burnt wood. Dumped the rest of this one in a big jar in the garage. I call that blend Cast Off. This blend is destined for a future camp fire, dumping the whole jar in the fire, that is :} .

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is by far the most natural blend in the ALTADIS sampler. In the pouch it smells like a typical English blend. Smoking shows it to be a mild tasting American/English (contains burley) blend with a fair amount of nicotine. Like the other ALTADIS blends I've tried, it is pleasant enough until you get half way through the bowl. At that point the poor quality of the base tobaccos comes through and it tastes and smells exactly like a cheap cigar (think Philly Blunt). There is definitely some kind of casing in there. If you like smoking American machine made cigars, then this blend is for you.

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Tobacco Galleria - Fox and Hound.

This was bought in bulk from Smokingpipes.com and it arrived with just the right amount of moisture for me. A little tacky to the touch, but still smokeable, and you know it can be trusted to cellar without becoming bone dry in days! The ribbons are quite coarse, and include a fair amount of each colour.

The Latakia isn't too pushy, the flavour has a smoky-woodiness, but isn't fulminated by loads of smoky flavour. The Perique gives the blend some life, being fig-like, and the Virginia sweetens it. The Burley seems as though it forms the 'backbone': it gives a rustic flavour throughout. The Turkish brings a creaminess, and smoothes the flavour out. I can't fault the burn, and I get no bite.

Nicotine: just below medium. Room-note: I don't mind it.

Fox and Hound: a good blend that does justice to three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: One month

Lou Cabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lou Cabo (1)

I am really surprised at the average review. Many reviewers mention having received it as part of samplers. Thus I wonder if there may have been an issue with a bad batch. I also have smoked it only the bulk format, so I cannot give an opinion about the pouch version.

I have been smoking F&H for many years (I am 50 now) and find that, as with any other tobacco, there are always consistency issues, as you can expect from any natural crop product. Non-aromatics are also more prone to them, as processing, casing and flavorings help to standardize flavor and aroma.

This taken into account, F&H has done fairly well across the years in that department. Particularly for a non-aromatic bulk mixture of quite the number of varieties. And you may like it better or worse (from other review: yes, probably not the first balkan-like mixture to try, if you are used only to aromatics), but you cannot say that it is not a good mixture. As another reviewer suggested, maybe it is an acquired taste.

Now for the review itself: F&H is basically a balkan style + perique mixture, and a rather good one at that. If I had to compare it to a better known, maybe more reputable one, I would go for Frog Morton on the Bayou (OTB), which is currently getting a 3.2 average score, as opposed to the 2.0 for F&H.

Well, in that comparison I place F&H above the more expensive and praised Frog Morton OTB. Do not get me wrong, the latter is a really good, well thought and done mixture. Only, I think that if you put together a mixture with orientals plus another four or five varieties, it is not a bad idea making it so that you can taste most of them, and not only, let's say, the Latakia or perique. Frog Morton OTB has a bit more of the latter than F&H, overpowering the remaining varieties, particularly the orientals, which you can taste much more in F&H. Both OTB and F&H have just enough Latakia to taste it without overpowering the remaining tobaccos. I think the longer, less homogeneous ribbon of F&H also helps to better taste each of its components, in a more complex experience.

Bottom line: I think that in terms of quality, F&H is at least a three. A very good alternative if you like Perique and orientals and want to be able to taste both. Burns well and dry, leaving little residue behind, and is smooth enough to be an all day smoke. Then, you can score higher or lower above that depending on your personal tastes. I am giving it a 4 (OK, probably way too high but maybe a bit to compensate some of the awful reviews)

Pipe Used: several briars

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton on the Bayou (Craftsbury Series).

A cheap version of one of those Revelation-style kitchen sink blends. C & D Bridge Mixture is a better example of this style, as I am sure original Revelation itself was, though I have never tried it. I got this for free in an internet promo, and since I don't think it is too bad, can't complain too much. The first half of the bowl is better than the second-there is something artificial here that rears its ugly head more and more as the pipe progresses, until towards the end it actually hisses (or snaps, crackles, and pops) at you. I can smoke it, though. The beginning of the bowl was pretty good, and I thought it would be a decent off-English blend for the price, but there is an additive-wearing monster lurking beneath. He is not so scary, however, as to render the blend unsmokeable.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Cheap tobacco. OK as an OTC blend in a pinch but not much more.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

I usually associate Altadis with cigars and aromatic bulk tobaccos, neither of which especially appeal to me. This blend surprised me, especially after reading some of the negative reviews.

Upon opening the pouch, I was greeted with the aroma of a typical light to medium English blend. The tobacco was not 'wet'; in fact, I stuffed a large bent billiard, lit up once, and smoked it for about 40-45 minutes (okay, it was a very large bent billiard), with no re-lighting required. No soapiness, no sharp stab of Perique (it's there, it's noticable, but it's well-behaved), no goopiness, no tongue-bite/bitterness, nothing but an enjoyable smoke. The nutty burley is there, too, but not strong enough to overpower the other components of this well-balanced (to me, anyway) blend. In fact, two-thirds through the bowl, the taste to me was of sweet VA and that spicey Turkish stuff. I could go for a bit more Latakia in the mix, but that's no reason not to try this blend that, IMHO, Altadis certainly got right.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)

This 1.5oz pouch came to me in a swap package. I tried one or two other Altadis blends and really had some doubts. Until I opened it and caught a whiff of the Latakia and the Orientals. Smelling it reminded me instantly of what I smelled in a few old pipes as a small child and found VERY intriguing. It packed very easily and was not too moist. The cut is a bit more coarse than I expected, being a rough ribbon. You can see all the different varieties of tobacco quite clearly. I can't tell if this has any ppg or not, but I'm sure it does, just not as much as some other blends from Altadis. It lights easily and gives off an initial bright white puff of VA smoke. I let it sit for a few seconds to go out, then tamp lightly and relight. It may not kick you in mouth with potent flavors, but there are a LOT of different things going on here in a rather subtle interplay. In the first third of the bowl I have been getting lots of back and forth between sweet VA on the tip of the tongue, and cool smoky Latakia in the back of the palate and through the nose. I didn't really detect any artificial flavors or the nasty mouth feel that sometimes comes with them. As I reached midbowl I started noticing a hint of vanilla, some carmel and some toasted nuts, this must be the bit of burley. Then out of nowhere another chunk of VA, then more Latakia, then a big spicy hit of Perique! I guess this is where the larger/rougher ribbon cut comes in. I think it may allow different portions of the blend to stick outand still play off the other tobaccos. By the last third of the bowl I had to perform a relight, but aside from that it behaved really well in my Peterson(non system). No excessive wetness, gurgling, or tongue bite. As others have stated, this would probably be a good place for a newbie to start experimenting with English style blends. While there is a lot going on in the flavor profile, I find it a better morning blend than evening as it got bland after I had smoked a few bowls of different tobaccos through out the day. When I finish this pouch, I plan on placing a order for a larger quantity.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my opinion, this was the best of the bunch in the Altadis sampler. And in that respect, my rating compares primarily to the other included blends, most of which were coated in unmentionable vats of casings.

I suppose that's why I found comfort in this blend; it was something familiar to what I normally smoke. Fox & Hound has that discernible Latakia odor upon smelling a fresh envelope. When lit, it behaves like a mild English. Everything appears in a balanced proportion, no single constituent dominating another. Supposedly there's Perique added to the mix, though it's lost on me.

I do detect a slight aftertaste, which leads me to believe there is a topping, similar to Old Dog, in that regard. It fades rather quickly, but does taint the smoking, which is probably my only complaint.

With such a flood of English mixtures already upon the market, I'd likely pass up another serving. Though I'll certainly find time to finish what I've got, and I can't say the same for the many other Altadis blends sitting in the box.

Three of Four.

Nonpareil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nonpareil (16)

I received this, along with a large assortment of other blends, in a sampler from Altadis. I am in agreement with the previous reviewer that this is an innocuous, English style blend.

Other reviews have compared this to Walnut but, since I have not smoked that for many years, I can't really comment.

I will say that this is a decent light English, with a bit too much PG, it lights well enough and does not leave much gunk in the bowl.

I realize I am damning the blend with faint praise, but I do prefer this to most drugstore tobacco and it is pleasent enough for an introduction to English style tobaccos.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

A shop nearby sells this, and all of the other Tobacco Galleria blends.

This smelled strong in the jar, but when smoked, proved to be a decent,mild, American-English blend. It reminds me of an untopped version of Barking Dog. I can't taste the Turkish in this at all. Not bad at all...

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Probably a good English type for a beginner. Not very balanced, too much of the Latakia taste for me. Perfect moisture content as received and burns very well. Bite free if you take it slowly. Three stars in the Drugstore English category.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (115)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Usually light English mixtures burn too hot for me but not this one. So I like F&H better than Walnut, which it resembles.

This is quite tasty and all the traditional English elements are here, just like it says on the package, except in such small quantities that you have to do tongue-detective work to find them. However the result is, for me, not bland at all, but very pleasant and cool.

Extremely easy to smoke, I cannot imagine a better introduction to English blends for the new piper. Or a good hot weather morning smoke for the more experienced.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I got a sample of this tobacco in a box pass and was anxious to try it after reading the reviews on this page. I usually enjoy medium English blends.

There is a lot to like in Fox and Hounds. It tastes only of tobacco and stays very cool. It was a fairly dry smoke, as well, though the tobacco was not particularly dry in the pouch. My only objection was that there were definite cigar notes in the taste about two-thirds of the way through the bowl when it began to gain a little in strength. If you like the taste of a cigar this may be welcome to you; for me it was not.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I, too, received a pound of this. (Thank you Altadis!) Now I am looking for someone to give it to.

There is nothing wrong with it! It is just way too mild for me. It smells great in the bag, and it smells good when lit. But I cannot taste it. I have burned my tongue from puffing too hard to try to get flavor.

IF you like a mild tobacco, this will probably be a delight. It just doesn't work for me.