A traditional smoke for the discriminating English smoker, this mix of Red Virginia, Turkish, Burley, Latakia and Perique is of medium strength and guaranteed to please.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Strength
Taste

2.0
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

1.5 oz pouch was included with my most recent tobacco order, an unsealed pouch at that. This is another tobacco that comes under the heading of I'll Smoke Anything Once.

Looks and smells in the pouch like a decent sort of blend. Grabbing a pinch shows that this is one moist English mixture. I smoked a bowl fresh out of the pouch and the flavor was nauseating. Drying subsequent bowls yielded an improvement, however slight.

I could pick out the taste of all 5 constituent tobaccos. However, the effect was a serious dumbing down of all of them, into a bland concoction whose only taste was sour hot air. This blend had absolutely no personality of any kind. I don't know if PG has an actual taste but it seemed to do a good job of negating any positive aspects the blend may have started with. It's not a bad blend; it's simply an "also ran" in a very large field of similar blends, most of which better this easily.

1.4 stars. Hard to recommend, unless you want something cheap. Cheap is the one thing this has going for it.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

First impressions, its OK. A mild OTC English with a good bit of burley and moisture to accompany it.

As far as English blends go, Fox & Hound is probably the lightest I've ever had. The presence of burley is interesting, but not bad. It has a little bit of latakia, but not much. All in all, it's just, light.

One thing it isn't light on, moisture. I let the tobacco dry overnight in my pipe before smoking. Even then, it still took some patience to light. Surprisingly, it doesn't leave any residue gunk behind, so that's a plus.

F&H leaves a weird aftertaste in my mouth, which I think is due to preservatives in the blend (like other Altadis blends). Though I'm not sure. Whatever it is, I strongly dislike it. My pipes also dislike it, and require a strong whiskey treatment before smoking any other tobaccos in them after this stuff.

I give the blend 2 stars and not 1, because there's enough flavor in the blend to make me come back for more. Now, I only come back once a month or so, but I still smoke it on occasion...

poppy43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppy43 (10)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is...crap. I've had it for at least 6 months to let it age a bit and hopefully dry out, it arrived so moist it was hard to keep lit. I added 3 oz. of latakia to it: it's better but still crap. I'm determined not to let any tobacco go to waste, but as soon as I smoke a pipefull I feel I need to smoke something decent just to satisfy my pipe craving. However, the room note isn't bad.

Pipe Used: severak Kaywoodies

Age When Smoked: fresh, 6 months

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is designed to be a mild to medium all day smoke, and requires a little patience to get into. It took three or four bowls of it in the same pipe for me to pick up all the flavors. Once the bowl was seasoned with the tobacco, I got more than the pleasing light red Virginia taste. The latakia gives a light push to the flavor, and the Turkish and perique ingredients are minor players, but add a little interest to the mixture. The burley is also a light addition, producing a little sweetness and earth. Burns perfectly; never hot no matter how hard you puff. If you're used to stronger tobaccos, this probably won't work for you. But if you take it for what it's meant to be, you'll find it a comfortable, easy going mild blend worth smoking during the day.

InfinitelyUpward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
InfinitelyUpward (2)

Bought this while traveling and being unsatisfied with the price of that particular B&M's bulks. It was on sale and I've been meaning to try a non-aromatic. Big mistake buying this one instead of one of the many tins on display at reasonable prices.

Like some of the other reviewers, I thought it smelled like piss at first. The pouch smell is slightly growing on me though. Lights VERY easily, even in a brand new cheapo MM Ozark. Burns slow (I puffed for more than an hour and a half and only got the bowl half way down) but very hot. My tongue is still raw 24 hours on.

No matter how I puffed it, I couldn't get any flavor out of it during the smoke. I was under the impression that I would be able to taste the tobaccos in it, but all I could taste was fire with hints of urine on the edges. It was definitely a dry smoke though, so there's that.

JakeJones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeJones (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

As a first time smoker, I went to my local cigar store for some direction. The clerk gave me a package of this as well as an all Cavendish from Altadis. I was surprised at how there was not much flavor after how it smelled. I am a cigar smoker and I can tell exactly how a cigar will taste just by smelling it, not so with this tobacco.

It isn't terrible, but it does bite a little bit, kind of more like a cigarette or a cheap cigar. It served its intended purpose for me, which was to determine the tobacco direction for me (Cavendish vs Latakia I guess). I can see that I would like this style, but I will need to find a higher quality smoke than this one.

Not sweet like the Cav, but it smelled great, earthy and leathery perhaps, it just lacks any real depth of flavor to me.

smokincoyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokincoyote (19)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Strong

First impressions were a strong perique smell of peppery wasabi masking a medium flavored tobacco underneath. packing was easy, it stayed lit fine, the smoke was dry. Sadly smoking well doesn't make up for the preservative taste I kept getting as others have noted. Otherwise its a decent smoke, cheap and has plenty of vitamin N. Be mindfull that this stuff ghosts a bit with briars, although I found it to add some depth to my usual aromatics. The aftertaste makes me feel like I used fox and hound piss as mouthwash.. blehh

If you want to try a decent english blend this is not it...

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (8)
Mild Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

What can I say? I wanted to try an english blend and this happend to be the first and only one that I've tried. It has a very noticeable PG coating and taste. So that alone turns me off of this one. But for those of you who don't mind the chemical or the taste of a campfire that a dog has urinated on in your mouth go for it. Someone, please tell me of a good english blend!

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised to find such quality tobacco from a drugstore brand and for such a great price. It tastes a little like Rattray's Red Raparee, which cost more than twice as much and is one of my very favorite tobaccos. My wife and I both like the roomnote. I did find that this blend boars on my taste buds after a while. It became a little overbearing to smoke a lot. I would recommend this as an occasional smoke for those who like latakia and perique at the same time. It can be a little much if smoked too frequently.

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Upon recommendation from a local tobacconist, I tried this as he swore this would be a comparable English to what I was used to smoking. Well, after purchasing 2 oz. and smoking a few bowls, all I can say is it was a disappointment. It had far less flavor than anything I've smoked. Medium strength it was not either. Needless to say this tobacco became a "gift" to a friend. I'm just glad he got more enjoyment from it than I did. At least it was not a total waste.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Received in a sampler pack. Altadis has a consistency problem with their blending in my humble opinion. I see this in the reviews, like Forrest Gump might say "Altadis tobacco is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get". With this one, the hound bit me and the sly fox eluded me. Other reviews I have seen on this one seem to like it, they might have received a good batch, mine tasted like old leather shoes dunked in rancid fish and chips oil. English, yes, like drinking, Thames river water!

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)

So...I receive this in a sampler pack (with two other tobaccos) from Altadis, and I immediately notice that this is the only one that isn't an aromatic. Naturally, this is the one that I fill my bowl with.

Out of the pouch, it smells sweet, with an undercurrent of wood smoke. Very pleasant. The tobacco is moist, but not so much that gurgling occurs while smoking. Lighting is easy, as is the first draw. And that's where it all goes south.

All I can taste is propylene glycol. It's absolutely overwhelming. And it's a damnable shame. This could be a terrific smoke, and I'm at a loss to understand how Altadis feels that more of this blend will sell over time with the horrible preservative flavor, then in a shorter amount of time without it.

I'm saddened and frustrated. I love Red Virginia, and I'm a solid fan of Perique and Burley. I'm even developing a taste for Latakia. This is a blend I so desperately want to try...if only I could actually taste it.

Altadis, I beg you: give us a 'companion' pouch without the preservative. These fine tobaccos, and your customers, deserve it. That, or replace the actual tobacco with much cheaper pencil shavings and sawdust and really increase your profit margin, as smokers will never be able to tell the difference. As it stands now, I'm marking Fox & Hound 'avoid at all costs.'

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend composed of multi colored brown and dark leaf is surprisingly a very nice smooth smoke. It packs, lights and burns well, not very wet, and burns down to a semi wet dottle at the bottom of the pipe. It is not a bold in your face Latakia and Perique blend like a lot of English blends and if that is what your looking for, this is not the one. But if you want a slightly sweet, smokey and pleasant blend that smokes smooth and with a lot of flavor on the tongue, this is a good one. I found this to be very nice as a night cap blend in a small pipe and with a good stout beer. It is not a tongue singer, but it must be sipped to really enjoy it as it can heat up if smoked too fast. I found the VA sweetness came out wonderfully, the Latakia was a compliment and not the main course, the perique was subtle but there and the burley kept it full and smooth. I will have no problem smoking this blend and while it is not the best English I have smoked, at the price it is hard to beat. I say give it a try and you will be surprised.

teaandpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teaandpipe (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Purchased one ounce to sample, and was very pleased. This is a very underrated blend, IMHO. The latakia comes through, but not at all too strong. Reminds me of the smell of pine, when I smoke this blend. Very happy with this English blend.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Cob

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

smells awful, and my first bowl was as well. but i decided it was worth another shot. the second bowl was better, then the next was better still, and so on. definetly an aqiured taste.

JerseySmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JerseySmoker (11)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco reminds me of church incense wrestling with tobacco. It's not awful. But, there are better tobaccos out there. I think Tobacco Galleria missed the mark on this one.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I would classify this as a light English which is both its strength and weakness as a tobacco. It is a weakness if one is desiring a rich English mixture but it is a strength if one is desiring a simple easy smoke. I found that the Burley in this blend made for a nice morning smoke with my coffee. A good blend for what it is.

Soli Deo gloria!

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I haven't smoke tobacco out of a pouch for about an year and at that time was because I got it as bonus on an order. Same thing for this tobacco also. Typical US made Latakia taste, like I found in Spillman or Merde De Cheval, but quite different from what you get from Cornell&Diehl or G.L.Pease. It's that taste of wet hay which I like sometimes, but here is milder and strange, it made me think a little of chemicals or something. Reasonable taste but a little bland. It is something that I will not buy, but If I have no problem smoking it as a bonus. If you need your nicotine you can resort to this one, but if you need tobacco this is just a waste of it.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

Fox and Hound to me has a fairly typical American-English blend taste and smell. The latakia is tasteable but not overpoweringly so, nor are any of the other components. And, for the first half of the bowl at least, you can taste them all. Past halfway, they all start to muddle and the burley bitter starts to take over more. I wouldn't call this blend exactly full strength either on taste or nicotine content but I would'nt describe it as weak either. This middling characteristic and cheaper price combine to make it a good intro to English blends, and a good all-day smoke...that's my take on it at least.

Now a word to the wise: If you go to buy this, I rather recommend getting the 1.5 ounce pouch rather than buying bulk quantity. Why? I found the pouches to be of higher quality, and better taste. See, after smoking thru several pouches over the past year without any complaints, I decided to buy a half-pound. The half-pound had quite a bit of humectant in it that pretty much ruined the taste I was used to. Thanks Altadis. Won't be doing that again.

All in all, Fox and Hound ain't bad stuff, in fact it's probably a leap ahead of anything you'd likely find at the dime store. Just stick with the 1.5 oz pouches.

UPDATE , 23 June... Man I've had this half-pound airing out for over a week now and its still just disgusting. I'm taking back one of my stars.

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)

I bought a pouch of this a little while back, and am now just finishing it up. All-in-all, it's a decent smoke. This is notihing especially nuanced, thought provoking, or complex. It's just a well-balanced and good English/Balkan blend, in a generic sort of way.

If you're looking for an English/Balkan blend that is just oozing with Latakia or Perique, then look elsewhere cuz this ain't it. However, if you like and English/Balkan blend where the condimentals are treated like condimentals, then this may be for you.

For me, this is a good "house blend." What I mean is that it makes for a good English/Balkan blend to keep in my tobacco jar and smoke on those occassions when I just want a straight-forward tobacco. If I want the good or complex stuff, I'll buy a tin or Dunhill, or Peterson, or something. Currently my "house" English/Balkan is C&D's Epiphany. This is cheaper, and I like it just a little better so this is going to be the "house blend" when the Epiphany runs out.

The only down-side is the PG that Altadis insists on hosing-down all of their tobies with. My pouch was just a little too full of it, but when I left the pouch sitting open for a couple of hours it seemed to take care of the product.

Anyway, if you want a good English/Balkan blend but you don't want anything really fancy or over-dosed with latakia or Perique, then be sure to give this a try. Not great, but not too bad either....

kylesdad77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylesdad77 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not the best English. Not my favorite. If you need the vitamin N and don't have a lot of cash then be my guest. I first smoked it in a cob and it definately did the trick. Not bad...a little chemical taste. Overall...bareable.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)

I purchased this about a month ago and gave it a try today. This is a very light to medium bodied mixture to me. It is very light on the Latakia so those of us who really want a Latakia backbone, eh they might be disappointed. It has a lot of moisture in the pouch; not so much that it won't stay lit, but enough to make large clouds of smoke. It has a very creamy yet sweet and spicy aroma to it which can be annoying to those of us who like more full bodied English blends. Some people will not like the aroma as I found out tonight, but hey I'm not smoking to make others happy. This is an excellent blend for Aromatic fans seeking to venture into English blends or for a lighter English blend for all day smoking. Oh, it does have a high amount of nicotine so be careful; it might knock your socks off if you don't watch it. I highly recommend this blend as a light to medium bodied English blend with no bite.

Fencing_Phoenix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fencing_Phoenix (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Strong

Got this one from my sister, who had received a pouch for free when she bought hookah tobacco for her boyfriend.

Right out of the bag, it smells sour and slightly sweet (sweet shouldn't ever be my first impression of how an english tobacco smells, in my opinion). It packs well, and I loaded it up in an old pipe to make sure that I didn't ruin a good one. In retrospect, this is a good idea.

As I started into the bag I had an immediate impression of the taste and smell of dirty, burning hair (I assume that this is the hair of foxes and hounds), and if this was what the manufacturers were going for they really hit the nail on the head. After this, I was assaulted by chemicals. These are just mild undertones, mind you, as the whole blend is very bland. I can only compare it to "sherlock's choice," although that doesn't have any chemical flavoring either, it's just very bland. I briefly considered taking the two ounces of that I have left and two ounces or so of this and blending them together with whiskey to see what I got, but I'd rather not really use this in any capacity.

Despite the fact that I smoked this in a filter pipe, I still managed to get a few drops of nasty, nasty tobacco juice on my tongue. How this happened, I have no idea. I was not puffing very hard, and the only thing I can think is that it soaked right through the filter (an impressive feat).

I was not able to finish the bowl, and I came out of the whole experience slightly depressed to see such great and prized tobaccos misused this way. I would actually pay someone to take this off my hands, rather than feel guilty later about throwing away latakia and perique.

DEMONSIX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEMONSIX (11)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

hated it at first but tried again and found it o.k. Friends hated the smell when I lit it up. They have gotten used to it but would not smoke it themselves. A good once in a while smoke or too annoy others for fun. Kinda smells like fox and hound urine.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a relatively new pipe smoker ( August 7th, 2009 was my first pipe and I had some kind of nougat blend) and I have fairly recently attempted to branch out towards English blends. I love a good aromatic, but considering that I live in the middle of nowhere, this little gold and green pouch was really all i could get my hands on.

It has definitely become one of my favorite. I have not eperienced much tongue bite with this one at all. It is not a very strong blend, which helps it in being an everyday smoke, and the room note is has pleasant subtle sweetness to it. I recommend it for those who either want something not so strong but tasty and for those who are trying Englishes for the first time. Cheers!

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This has to be one of the worst English blends I have ever tried. I am happy that this one was a gift as it ended up in the trash. The stuff burnt the crap out of my tounge. I am glad that I never have to smoke the stuff again.

A cheap version of one of those Revelation-style kitchen sink blends. C & D Bridge Mixture is a better example of this style, as I am sure original Revelation itself was, though I have never tried it. I got this for free in an internet promo, and since I don't think it is too bad, can't complain too much. The first half of the bowl is better than the second-there is something artificial here that rears its ugly head more and more as the pipe progresses, until towards the end it actually hisses (or snaps, crackles, and pops) at you. I can smoke it, though. The beginning of the bowl was pretty good, and I thought it would be a decent off-English blend for the price, but there is an additive-wearing monster lurking beneath. He is not so scary, however, as to render the blend unsmokeable.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Strong

This tobacco was bought at a local brick and mortar under the name Cornish Blend. The presentation was nice. It packed well in a 9mm Bjarne Viking. The taste was middle of the road English. It burned well with no bite, but had a harsh chemical smell. Burned my nose and throat.

I think I will stick with some of the more natural tasting blends in the future. Regardless of the price. F&H was very affordable.

cbomce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cbomce (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Fox and Hound is what it is. A medium English blend, typical aroma and affordable. It stays lit with a little tending, must be lightly sipped, heavy puffing will rip the hide off your tounge. UNIFORMITY: in the pouch, from first light to last puff, from the first bowl to the last of the pouch even though it took me several weeks to finish the pouch. I look for consistency if I am going to purchase more of a blend and this has it. It is my choice for a change-of-pace since I prefer light aeromatics. I picked up my first pipe over 40 yeas ago and this tobac has a place in my rotation.

I recieved this in a sample pack from Altadis along with 2 other of their blends. I happened to like this one very much. Opening the pouch, I was greeted with the aroma of Latakia - just right for my liking. There was no topping that I could detect. The tobacco was very fresh and springy; by no means wet. It lit very well and stayed lit without a problem. There was no moisture production and no bite. The predominant taste was of Latakia and Turkish, the Turkish adding just the right amount of sweetness to this blend. I didn't actually taste any of the Virginia or Perique, but they may have contributed to the mild spiciness I felt on my lips from time to time. The Burley came through as a firm base that added substance to the overall smoking experience, and the overall taste was consistent throughout.

I'm not a huge fan of Latakia, but enjoy it on occasion. I usually smoke Brindley's Mixture when I want some Latakia, but Fox and Hound will replace it in that venue as it is a bit sweeter tasting for me, which I enjoy. If there was any flavoring added, I couldn't detect it - except for a very mild (and I mean very mild) sense of menthol, and not continuously. I thought this might be the Turkish I was experiencing, but I honestly don't know. I rated the room note as pleasant as I do like the aroma of Latakia and Turkish in a burning pipe. I detected no chemical taste whatsoever, nor was there any left over dottle or goop in the heel of my pipe - a Tinderbox poker that is 30 years old and reserved for Latakia/Turkish smokes. Even though I don't smoke this type of blend on a regular basis, I still rate it 3 stars for what it is - an American/English style pipe tobacco, mild to medium across the board. An enjoyable experience.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Cheap tobacco. OK as an OTC blend in a pinch but not much more.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)

First thoughts on opening the pouch: it smells warm, full, almost a flowery smell of Virginia but much less sharp. I didn't expect this from pouch tobacco. Upon lighting, you can tell that the label is not lying: it does contain Perique (whether this is the "real thing" from Louisiana or not, I don't know) and Turkish tobaccos; these are the most loud to me in the mixture and they create a nice blend. The perique offsets the other tobaccos enough to lower your chance of tongue bite. The burley in the mixture is also well pronounced; as it burns fairly quickly, this mixture should be smoked slowly. It does have a light topping on it that is hard to pin down, but it does leave your pipe slightly moist. I don't think I would describe this as an English blend, I would probably describe it as a burley blend because of its minimal Latakia content. The first time I smoked it the only thing it made me think of was a hotel room. This is strange, but if the taste of potpourri used in hotel rooms was blended into a mild tobacco, it would taste like this. The smoke is non-offensive. Would I buy it again? Yes. But since it isn't an all-time favourite I can't quite give it four stars.

EDIT: Downgrade to two stars. As this tobacco becomes more dry, it becomes very apparent that the 'topping' I experienced before is not a topping at all, but just pure propylene glycol to extend the shelf-life of the tobacco. When the tobacco dries, this chemical taste becomes overwhelming so that it is not smokable, ghosts your pipe to taste like it, and leaves a film on the inside of your mouth. This would be a fantastic blend if this chemical used to deliver flavourings was left off? there is no point in its being in this blend and it detracts from the natural flavours of the tobaccos.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice mild English, though I prefer greater strength in my smoke. This lit well and burned well too. I wasn't able to detect any humectant in the taste of this blend but did feel the characteristic stickiness when running my fingers through it. The perique seemed to get lost, the turkish wasn't noticeable either. I tasted a mild latakia blend with some burley to round it out.

Mountain Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mountain Man (23)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

They sure got the name right on this one because it taste exactly like what a fox or hound would leave on the ground after relieving himself.This is the nastiest tasting tobacco I have ever tried.Reminds me of a non-filtered Chesterfield cigarette.

rocket_man77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rocket_man77 (10)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Had a pouch of Fox and hound come in the mail as a sample. Being an aromatic guy I got nose of the bag and recalled the time many years ago I had a mouth full of the Oriental and Baltic smoke before I knew better and swore it off. Still they were good enough to send it so I would be good enough to try it and I like the stuff. It's light enough on the English spectrum not to be a turn off for the bystander or difficult to smoke and has enough complexity over the aromatic to really be a nice break from the usual one trick pony. A nice option from a druggist type tobacco that finally prompted me to dedicate a pipe to a specific type of tobacco. [UPDATE] Having tried this and really fallen in love with the oriental English blend I went out and found something else. After some time with Squadron Leader in my pipe I decided to again try the Fox and Hound. Yucky, it's like White Owl, or Dutch Treat cigar in my pipe tobacco. There is a chemical taste and bitterness. I would advise to abandon ship, however and as the saying goes I got what I paid for.

Society of the Briar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Society of the Briar (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I too recieved a pouch of this as a sample in the mail. Oddly enough and perhaps because I'm a relatively new-ish pipe smoker, I absolutely love the pouch/tin aroma of nearly any English blend as I also enjoy a strong, peaty dram of single malt and the smell of a campfire, but the taste of English tobac can sometimes be a bit disagreable to me. Again, from my minor bit of experience, it seems that Fox & Hound is a more mellow (more "affordable") version of similar styles. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed the smoke? The pouch aroma has a pleasant, woody, smoky and musty sort of thing going on. The first bowl's worth required a bit of drying, but lit just fine for me with a couple of relights.

There's a quick bit of lingering sweetness from the Virginias and a nice woody smokiness from the Latakia. All in all a decent experience. My palette has yet to discern much else, or perhaps there's not much else to describe. Not the best of the English blends I've tried, but far from the worst.

AeroPipe89 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AeroPipe89 (1)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is a decent smoke, if you like the smell of Latakia in the pouch. I love the taste of latakia (so much so that Penzance is my favorite non-aromatic) but I can't stand the smell in the pouch/tin. A decent low-cost non aromatic.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)

I usually associate Altadis with cigars and aromatic bulk tobaccos, neither of which especially appeal to me. This blend surprised me, especially after reading some of the negative reviews.

Upon opening the pouch, I was greeted with the aroma of a typical light to medium English blend. The tobacco was not 'wet'; in fact, I stuffed a large bent billiard, lit up once, and smoked it for about 40-45 minutes (okay, it was a very large bent billiard), with no re-lighting required. No soapiness, no sharp stab of Perique (it's there, it's noticable, but it's well-behaved), no goopiness, no tongue-bite/bitterness, nothing but an enjoyable smoke. The nutty burley is there, too, but not strong enough to overpower the other components of this well-balanced (to me, anyway) blend. In fact, two-thirds through the bowl, the taste to me was of sweet VA and that spicey Turkish stuff. I could go for a bit more Latakia in the mix, but that's no reason not to try this blend that, IMHO, Altadis certainly got right.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

5/30/08 I've tried several Altadis blends, and to me, this is pretty much the only one I've liked so far. Other reviewers have said that they don't taste too much of the Perique, but the batch I got, has a bunch of it. I'm not a fan of Perique, and I would really like to try this blend without it. If Altadis makes something like this without the Perique, someone out there let me know. Overall, not a bad offering from Altadis, and a good intro to the milder English blends...

8/9/08 I'm into about my 4th pouch of this stuff, and I have to say that it really grows on you. As a less expensive English blend, it is a great all day smoke...

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This would make a decent middle of the road strength English, but as with all Altadis blends, it has been ruined by the humectant applied to it.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

This 1.5oz pouch came to me in a swap package. I tried one or two other Altadis blends and really had some doubts. Until I opened it and caught a whiff of the Latakia and the Orientals. Smelling it reminded me instantly of what I smelled in a few old pipes as a small child and found VERY intriguing. It packed very easily and was not too moist. The cut is a bit more coarse than I expected, being a rough ribbon. You can see all the different varieties of tobacco quite clearly. I can't tell if this has any ppg or not, but I'm sure it does, just not as much as some other blends from Altadis. It lights easily and gives off an initial bright white puff of VA smoke. I let it sit for a few seconds to go out, then tamp lightly and relight. It may not kick you in mouth with potent flavors, but there are a LOT of different things going on here in a rather subtle interplay. In the first third of the bowl I have been getting lots of back and forth between sweet VA on the tip of the tongue, and cool smoky Latakia in the back of the palate and through the nose. I didn't really detect any artificial flavors or the nasty mouth feel that sometimes comes with them. As I reached midbowl I started noticing a hint of vanilla, some carmel and some toasted nuts, this must be the bit of burley. Then out of nowhere another chunk of VA, then more Latakia, then a big spicy hit of Perique! I guess this is where the larger/rougher ribbon cut comes in. I think it may allow different portions of the blend to stick outand still play off the other tobaccos. By the last third of the bowl I had to perform a relight, but aside from that it behaved really well in my Peterson(non system). No excessive wetness, gurgling, or tongue bite. As others have stated, this would probably be a good place for a newbie to start experimenting with English style blends. While there is a lot going on in the flavor profile, I find it a better morning blend than evening as it got bland after I had smoked a few bowls of different tobaccos through out the day. When I finish this pouch, I plan on placing a order for a larger quantity.

MominPakistani Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MominPakistani (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

One of the first tobaccos I tried, and never tried it again. I found it far too bitter and smokey tasting, like smoking dried wood. The aftertaste was a bit more than I could stand, and the room note was awful- it ran everyone out of the room. I felt a bit nausiated after smoking it and I didn't even inhale- perhaps it was the cheap cigar/generic full-flavored cigarette-like taste. Too much latakia in this mixture for me. Not recommended.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco could be a lot better than it is. All of the components are there for a great blend but the balance is poor. The latakia is probably the closest thing to being correct, but the Perique is almost undetectable. I also wish that this blend had some more Turkish and a bit less burly. What I will say that this is probably a good "starter" English, it is cool burning and relatively mild. The tobacco burns evenly and with no surprises (good or bad). I tend to like this blend if you add a bit of McClelland's blending Perique and Oriental in small quantities.

This Altadis offering is not as heavy and smoky in flavor as their R.L. Will Long-Cut offering, but you will taste the Latakia as well as the other ingredients. Perique lovers may not like Fox & Hound because it sleeps in the back room of this blend's house, rarely coming out to say hello.

I have not found a cooler burning bulk blend. It is more light than heavy and my local pipe club members (the recipients of a box full of this weed from Altadis) overwhelmingly gave Fox & Hound a thumbs up.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

Slightly bitter taste with aroma of burnt wood. Dumped the rest of this one in a big jar in the garage. I call that blend Cast Off. This blend is destined for a future camp fire, dumping the whole jar in the fire, that is :} .

Bezoar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bezoar (14)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Its good, its dependable and its nice to find a low price tobacco that is this good. Well it does have some sort of pg casing on it, but has no artificial flavoring.

Its nice and woodsy but with age has turned a little sharper but sweeter virginia taste.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

03262006 I received Fox & Hound in a box from Altadis along with 23 other blends. Being an aromatic smoker, I was skeptical when I opened the F & H pouch. My first bowl, or rather, my first 1/4 bowl tasted harsh and soapy. Being determined to try non-aromatics, I tried 2 other blends from the box. They were both good, so I decided to give Fox & Hound another try. My second bowl of F & H was a pleasant surprise. Instead of a soapy licorice taste, what I found was good tobacco without the aromatic casing. F & H lit well, stayed lit to the bottom of the bowl (yes, I finished this one) with only the ocassional tamp. It burned cool, with no gurgle. When I finished the bowl, I was left with a slightly gray ash and a clean, dry pipe. Fox & Hound, IMO, would be a good blend for the beginner or the aromatic smoker that desires to try English blends. I will be buying more. F & H get a place in my rotation. ========================================================== 12202006 I don't smoke many blends with perique, but this one is a keeper. I always have a pouch of this around and find it the only Altadis blend that I enjoy. Not the best blend around, but very good for the price.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was given this when I joined a local pipe club as one of several introductory tobacco's - same name as my local pub so it appealed on that merit alone.

I was pleasantly surpirsed - I expected lots of artificial flavour and bite - but it smells great in the pouch and makes a good bowl for a beer time smoke.Cheap cigar like - but sometimes you just have to !

If I come across it again -- I would not be adverse to getting pouch or two - but won't be shopping hard for the one.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought this tobacco due to positive reviews on this site. I found this to be very strong and harsh on the throat. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it reminded me of my Grandfather's Cutty Pipe that I "borrowed" from him as a teenager 40 years ago.

Really not my cup of tea.

J. Bryan Shoup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Bryan Shoup (5)

Fox & Hound reminds me of two "house" blends at my local tobacconist - Staghorn and Pepe #9. Both were recommended to me as good primers for those looking to explore the world of English blends. I would give the same hearty recommendation to Fox & Hound.

I was a bit appalled when a friend lit up a bowl while we relaxed at a local coffee shop, as the room note bordered on the standard English scent that some non-smokers find unpleasant. Oddly, a young lady next to us seemed intrigued by the room note and commented on it - though another sitting not too much farther didn't seem to appreciate it as much (despite my friend's protest that we had to endure the cigarette smoke of others, I find smoking English in close quarters to be in poor form).

The taste is pleasant, though for smokers acclimated to English, it may be a bit underwhelming once one's mind starts to wander with thoughts of say, Nightcap. I enjoyed it, however, and may find it a good transistion on nights I want to stretch out on the porch and work from aromatic to Nightcap with a mild English between the two. The Latakia is pleasing here, and from time to time the Virginia shines through, but I couldn't really detect the Perique as much as I had wanted.

Overall, Fox & Hound is perfect for those looking to try English blends without leaping face-first into sterner stuff, and is a pleasing blend for those of us already in love with English.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my opinion, this was the best of the bunch in the Altadis sampler. And in that respect, my rating compares primarily to the other included blends, most of which were coated in unmentionable vats of casings.

I suppose that's why I found comfort in this blend; it was something familiar to what I normally smoke. Fox & Hound has that discernible Latakia odor upon smelling a fresh envelope. When lit, it behaves like a mild English. Everything appears in a balanced proportion, no single constituent dominating another. Supposedly there's Perique added to the mix, though it's lost on me.

I do detect a slight aftertaste, which leads me to believe there is a topping, similar to Old Dog, in that regard. It fades rather quickly, but does taint the smoking, which is probably my only complaint.

With such a flood of English mixtures already upon the market, I'd likely pass up another serving. Though I'll certainly find time to finish what I've got, and I can't say the same for the many other Altadis blends sitting in the box.

Three of Four.

Nonpareil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nonpareil (13)

I received this, along with a large assortment of other blends, in a sampler from Altadis. I am in agreement with the previous reviewer that this is an innocuous, English style blend.

Other reviews have compared this to Walnut but, since I have not smoked that for many years, I can't really comment.

I will say that this is a decent light English, with a bit too much PG, it lights well enough and does not leave much gunk in the bowl.

I realize I am damning the blend with faint praise, but I do prefer this to most drugstore tobacco and it is pleasent enough for an introduction to English style tobaccos.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Takes a wee bit of patience to light, but once going the taste is not unpleasant. Rather standard light english with some minor PG issues. The components are nothing special but do the trick and are fairly balanced.

Generally tame and well-behaved other than the initial lighting issues, this Fox & Hound is a reasonable---if somewhat weak---facsimile of an english blend in taste.

Local B&Ms would do well to carry this in addition to the sweet aromatics in this Tobacco Galleria line that they usually offer; I would happily reach for this before the old drugstore standards if it was available.

TikiPirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TikiPirate (7)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I agree with what has been said above...ok, but tends to reek of cheap cigar smell about half-way through. Not the worse tobacco but not the best, something to smoke when you don't have time to finish a bowl or pay attention to a quality blend.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is by far the most natural blend in the ALTADIS sampler. In the pouch it smells like a typical English blend. Smoking shows it to be a mild tasting American/English (contains burley) blend with a fair amount of nicotine. Like the other ALTADIS blends I've tried, it is pleasant enough until you get half way through the bowl. At that point the poor quality of the base tobaccos comes through and it tastes and smells exactly like a cheap cigar (think Philly Blunt). There is definitely some kind of casing in there. If you like smoking American machine made cigars, then this blend is for you.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

A shop nearby sells this, and all of the other Tobacco Galleria blends.

This smelled strong in the jar, but when smoked, proved to be a decent,mild, American-English blend. It reminds me of an untopped version of Barking Dog. I can't taste the Turkish in this at all. Not bad at all...

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Probably a good English type for a beginner. Not very balanced, too much of the Latakia taste for me. Perfect moisture content as received and burns very well. Bite free if you take it slowly. Three stars in the Drugstore English category.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have to agree with the reviewers that find this blend to be similar to Middleton's Walnut. It's a mild English that would work as an all day smoke. As with Walnut, Burley is the star of the show.

Walnut seems to have a bit more Turkish flavor, which I enjoy, and so, of the two, I'd buy Walnut before I bought Fox and Hound. So, then, only two stars.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Usually light English mixtures burn too hot for me but not this one. So I like F&H better than Walnut, which it resembles.

This is quite tasty and all the traditional English elements are here, just like it says on the package, except in such small quantities that you have to do tongue-detective work to find them. However the result is, for me, not bland at all, but very pleasant and cool.

Extremely easy to smoke, I cannot imagine a better introduction to English blends for the new piper. Or a good hot weather morning smoke for the more experienced.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Fox and Hound is remenicent of Middletons Walnut in that, its flavor is between mild and medium. This blend is smooth. I was pleasently surprised with the pouch of this bulk blend since the Red VA, Turkish and Latakia is excellent quality. The leaf is on the dry side, but it packs easy and burns even and clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It also has a surprisingly complex flavor.

While veteran smokers of Latakia blends will most likely find it really mild, this blend is great for an introduction to latakia. With its quality of leaf at such a great price, I have to give it 4 stars, with the understanding I do so as a "starter" blend for those wishing to experience Latakia for the first time without being overwhealmed by it.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I got a sample of this tobacco in a box pass and was anxious to try it after reading the reviews on this page. I usually enjoy medium English blends.

There is a lot to like in Fox and Hounds. It tastes only of tobacco and stays very cool. It was a fairly dry smoke, as well, though the tobacco was not particularly dry in the pouch. My only objection was that there were definite cigar notes in the taste about two-thirds of the way through the bowl when it began to gain a little in strength. If you like the taste of a cigar this may be welcome to you; for me it was not.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Altadis says Fox & Hound is a medium English blend. I don?t know that I would go that far. A very light English style blend is more to the point.

This blend has just enough Latakia to show up on your radar, but not so much as to get you chased out of the room by moderately tolerant non-pipesmokers. The Perique (or as I suspect ? Perique flavoring) is mild and unobtrusive. Actually, everything in this blend is pretty mild and unobtrusive. It is a cool dry smoke, with a bit of character to it. F&H gives the smoker an overall melding of the flavors of its constituent tobaccos. It has a slightly smoky flavor that is almost sweet, but not in a sugary sort of way.

Fox & Hound doesn?t demand your full attention through either its complexity, nor any tendency to bite. Take it fishing on one of those days when you go out hoping you don?t get disturbed by anything like the fish biting. Sit and read a book with it when you want to get totally lost in the book, but want a pipe for more the feel of it than the taste. When you want to settle in and get lost in a bowl of tobacco, find something else. In this case, you will no doubt find that Fox & Hound comes up short.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

When I recently ordered some of Jack?s Tobacco?s 12th Anniversary blend from the good people at Smokeshopreview.com, they kindly threw in three pouches of Altadis tobacco to sample. Two were aromatics, which I passed along to an aromatic-loving friend. I kept the third pouch, Fox & Hound, but was skeptical about it. First my tobacco snobbishness kicked in, reminding me that with the exception of Balkan Sasieni, only crappy tobacco comes in pouches. Then my Scottish roots kicked in, reminding me that it was free. So I loaded up a bowl and was happy to find that Fox & Hound is a very pleasant smoke. A light-to-medium Latakia blend with some burley and maybe some perique, it has lots of flavor and a nice sweet undercurrent.

It reminds me a lot of Finck?s Istanbul. Like Istanbul, F&H is not the kind of blend you break out in the evening for a long, slow, contemplative smoke. But it is a good, inexpensive, all-day blend. The kind of blend to smoke when you want some nice English flavor but, because you aren't really going to focus your attention on it and savor every draw, you don?t want to waste some of your favorite blend from Pease or Esoterica.

So give this a try, if you can find it; I?ve never actually seen it for sale in a store or online.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (37)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I, too, received a pound of this. (Thank you Altadis!) Now I am looking for someone to give it to.

There is nothing wrong with it! It is just way too mild for me. It smells great in the bag, and it smells good when lit. But I cannot taste it. I have burned my tongue from puffing too hard to try to get flavor.

IF you like a mild tobacco, this will probably be a delight. It just doesn't work for me.