A sophisticated blend of bright & red Virginias, unsweetened red Virginia Cavendish, Turkish, Cyprian Latakia and Perique with a touch of 20 year old dark fired Kentucky Burley for a kicker.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeOther
ContentsCavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
2.9

Fun With C&D Samples, Vol II, #4

This blend brings up the concept of biases to a thunderous roll. I liked the smoothness of it and the fact that it is such a hodge-podge of tobaccos, all of which play well together. It really is a good smoke. None of the constituent tobaccos takes over, except at very short intervals. This is a mixture in the best sense of the word. Alternately spicy, sweet, robust and tangy.

I would have liked this one better if I hadn't recently fallen in love with Pipeworks & Wilke's #400. They took a similar concept and did it better, in my opinion. Of course, taste buds being what they are, everyone with an interest should try them both and compare.

I don't wish to downplay the talent of the blenders nor the value of this blend. It was quite good - just not quite to my palate. 2 stars for how well I liked it, 3 stars because I believe C&D accomplished what they set out to accomplish with this one.

DoctorHoo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorHoo (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Unnoticeable

I had to try this one because I'm a sucker for turkish and perique together and, to my mind, no one blends these two disparate tobaccos as well as Cornell & Diehl. I would love to give this blend more stars because, like all of the C&D blends I've tried, this one is made from the highest quality ingredients and has excellent burning characteristics. It doesn't work for me but it might well for you. I'm reviewing it only to aid those who share my particular foibles. For whatever reason, I'm a nicotine wimp and this one packs too much of a wallop for me. My palate isn't as sophisticated as many of y'alls and I just can discern much flavor. Also, it smokes hot for me. Again, that's probably my fault but I suspect I'm not the only overly aggressive puffer out there. I'm not sure but I suspect the nic kick comes from the unsweetened black cavendish. I've smoked most of C&D's blends and those with this ingredient tend to be too much for me.

Tortuga Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tortuga (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

NO, not the candy...

The pretty terrific blend of premium tobacco by Cornell & Diehl.

Ribbon, cube, and rough cut, with even a tad of flake, Bridge Mixture is a sneaker.

You light it - takes readily to the flame - and you are unimpressed and neglectful for about 20 seconds. Lots of components will surely wake you up. Va, a little fired kentucky, red cavendish, perique, and every now and a short while...a whiff of latakia.

It alternates between heavy hits of perique and kentucky and then relaxes into VA/ red cav country. For the record, i really dislike black cavendish unless it is unsweetened. The red cav in this blend is welcome, even if it does rob a little strength from the blend. Even still, the blend is maybe a tic up from medium on the strength scale. The smoke is unusually soft in the mouth, but occasionally there is a nice pinch from perique. I am a big fan of the burley in this blend which reminds me of the burley leaf in cumberland. In Bridge Mixture, it is used as a condiment and not as forward as Cumberland.

Lights and burns very well right out of the tin. This could be a "sleeper hit" for C&D; most reviews are favorable, but not overly zealous. That's a good sign. It really isn't a loud "wow" of a blend, but more of the type that speaks softly, timely, and profoundly. A good go-to blend when all else fails.

3.5 or so stars out of 5. I recommend it.

jeremiahsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeremiahsa (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favorite blend by a long shot. It has a good peppery flavor from the perique and very little tongue bite. It is somewhat strong and very interesting. I would smoke it all the time if it weren't for the price. It only comes in tins, which are a little more pricey due to the 20 year old burley, which smooths the thick smoke and rounds out the favors like no other.

I will keep looking for the possibility of buying this in bulk.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Liked it more than I thought I would. This is one of those eclectic blends like Revelation (which I have never tried) and the various flavors meld together without a single element dominating. I smoked it in my Marxman Jumbo, which has a large capacity yet tends to smoke fast. This seemed right for this blend. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it really improved halfway through and towards the end I was puffing heavily, producing clouds of smoke and sucking hot ashes into my mouth! No bite at all despite this, and a unique flavor. Rustic, a little soapy, but not perfumed soap-more like Ivory. My tin was also bulged out like a full can of beer that has been rolled down the street, so there must have been some fermentation going on in there over the last five years.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

This blend is like none I have ever tried. For style points this one is a winner. As for my personal taste this one gets two stars. The main reason that I am not in love with this blend is the extreme peppery taste at the top of the bowl. It is not a Perique pepper more like a strong cigar gone wrong. Once that wears off the blend is fairly decent. I would not say great but decent. The afore mentioned peppery taste was enough to make my eyes water and my nose tickle. I have tried to decide whether the pepper comes from the Perique or the 20 year old dark fired Kentucky burley, but have concluded that it is probably a combination of all ingredients. This was enough of a turn off to not try it again, but I think all adventurous smokers should try it.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Despite the hodge-podge of ingredients, this presents itself as a pretty straightforward if musty American English blend. Lots of burley flavor and character, faint hints of sweetness and good burning characteristics. But I also found it to be unexciting and a mild disappointment when held up against Morley's Best, Epiphany, Home from the Hills, Old Hollywood, and other mixtures of this style.

Quality-wise, this is perhaps better than a 2-star blend but C&D makes many variations on this theme that are far superior.

k9zm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k9zm (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Masterful! My favorite blend. I recently opened a 2 year old tin, #81, of the first 200 I think. I have several of these tins from the early production and they have swelled all that they can swell without bursting open, or deforming. Makes you wonder what is going on in there.

Age mellows the blend a bit. Still plenty of strength. The flavor is milder. All those insteresting tastes are still there. What is a fantastic blend fresh, is still fantastic. A slight cigar or rope taste. I assume that is the 20 yo dark fired Kentucky. But there is a fermented taste or scent, that I just love. Not sure which component of the blend adds that, but it's great. This is not a latakia blend, so those folks with that aversion should be aware that it is used as a condiment.

This is not a bitey blend either. A nice sweetness from the Virginia's. As good as this blend is, I would have thought that it had a lot of burley. There is just so many right things going on in this blend.

Enjoy! Carlos

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This is a good hearty smoke that is fullbodied and at it's peak striaght from the tin, an interesting change of pace. The flavor developed very nicly throughtout the bowl,it is now in my roration.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Burley and Perique, seasoned with Latakia? Who'd'a thunk it?

Well, fortunately, C&D did. The Burley/Perique combination is a nice change of pace from the standard fare, and the Latakia just kicks it up a notch.

If you like English and are not adverse to Burley, definitely give this a try.

A good smoke.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This blend had a definite cigar taste to me, even more so than some of the "supposed" cigar blends. The blend itself is a pleasant enough latakia/burley blend that smokes cool and gives a good dose of nicotene. I personally just didn't get into it, but I can certainly see how others could love this!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

The tobacco is high quality and the smoking qualities reveal this. It smoked the same in small to large bowls, albeit more intense in smaller pipes.

That being said, this blend seems simply strong and blustery and uninteresting: sooty, peppery with solid nicotine hits and that's about it. More ingredients than Mississippi Mud, but this is less complex and less flavorful.

It just doesn't fill any flavor profiles for me, and I won't be making a place for it.

This is what I imagine Escudo with Latakia would be like, though C&D uses better quality tobaccos in my opinion.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I will second the esteemed and renowned Morleysson below me in these reviews. The (many) tobaccos in Bridge Mixture play in harmonious concert. This is a great blend! You just have to try it to see (read ?taste?) what it is all about.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.9 out of 10.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bridge Mixture is unlike any other tobacco I have tried. There are a lot of tastes in there, and they work together in a unique way. It really is difficult for me to describe, but I liked it quite a lot.

Of course, the physical characteristics of the tobacco were excellent as they always are with Cornell and Diehl blends: properly dry, attractive in appearance, and clean burning to a dry ash.

The only reason I won't smoke this all the time is that it is just too distracting. There's too much going on for me to ignore it and read or listen to music; I usually prefer calmer pleasures. But make no mistake: this is a good one and I will be enjoying it again in the future.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Bridge Mixture had me a bit startled when I popped the top on my 50g tin. The leaf is bright for the most part with black Latakia specks here and there, but nothing to suggest a strong Latakia flavor. I noticed the Latakia at the match but it was not overpowering in any sense.

Bridge Mixture is a unique smoke to my taste buds. The added Burley and Perique provided a taste sensation that I can't really compare to anything I have ever sampled in one of my pipes. I did appreciate the good wallop of nicotine and also appreciated the fact that the blend does not bite and presents itself at a perfect moisture level.

A favorite that I would smoke regularly? No. But, for a change of pace and unusual taste sensation, this is a good choice for me.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)

I was thinking of a good blend with which to "break in" a John Hamilton McGrath pipe I had won recently on EBAY. The bowl on this pipe is on the smaller side and the style could be called a modified prince shape. I decided to try some Bridge Mixture in it as, in my opinion, many latakia and turkish mixtures work well in smaller bowls. What I found was what might be the perfect combination of pipe and tobacco.

Bridge Mixture, while not a blend that will overwhelm you in any one department, is an interesting mixture whose various components add to the whole without any one committing a hostile take over. The latakia remains the main voice in the mix, while the VA's are singing softly in the background. The burley in this is marvelous and adds a cocoa (though not chocolate) like richness. There is just enough turkish in this mixture to take the edge off the latakia and the perique is not overly noticeable though it does add nicely to the aroma.

Bridge Mixture is excellent. I would certainly recommend it for the seasoned smoker and also for one looking into the world of latakia mixtures.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

I'm just a fool for burleys, though some have characterized me as merely a fool, but then what do THEY know? What I know is that the Bridge Mixture offers the more matured smoker a series of treats to the palate w/o bitterness or a cloying sweetness. It was hard for me to fathom that these tobaccos could coexist, but they do, and in a complementary manner. Bright VAs, to me, always were a little too sweet, red VAs a touch too bold, but neither one here seems to exert their personality to the detriment of others. Instead, the cigar-like sense of the flue-cured 20 year old burley and the condimental leaves of latakia, turkish and perique liven and deepen the mixture and heighten the stronger VA presence.