A high-contrast mixture canary yellow Virginia and pale brown Burley tobaccos determines the mild taste.

BrandTheodorus Niemeyer
Packaging50g Pouch
CountryNL
Strength
Taste

3.2
silvatorres Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
silvatorres (5)

Since i got back to pipe smoking, this has been the one that pleased me the most. It burns very well, i hardly need to relit it when i smoke it! I haven't had any tong bite yet, and overall i can say i'm pretty satisfied and this will become a regular smoke for me.

Footografo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Footografo (1)

Hello everyone! This is my first pipe tobacco review. I'll try to be objective as I am somewhat inexperienced!

I have recently tried several different blends, most of them aromatic. Some, like alsbo gold tend to be quite bity in the mouth, though the room note is quite pleasant. Mayflower nº1 is a very balanced mixture. The smoke is cool, it burns slowly enough and has almost no bite at all even for a beginner pipe smoker such has myself. If you smoke slowly, a certain sweet taste is felt on the backroud which I can't quite define! For an aromatic blend, Mayflower isn't excessively perfumed, which is a good thing in my oppinion as sweeteners tend to make the smoking experience more bitey.

I definitely recommend Mayflower nº1 to all pipe smoking novices like myself.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I sincerely tried to appreciate this aromatic mixture. As my portuguese fellows Greytata and Sousa know, for ages this is one of the most omnipresent pipe tobaccos in Portugal's drugstores. It was one of the first I tried in the early nineties, when I began pipe smoking as a college student.

The pouch aroma is absolutely wonderful, full of promises of a delightful smoke. Yet it does not deliver at all.

I remember buying pouch after pouch of it, fifteen years ago, always expecting to have that aromatic experience. Puff after puff, I always got nothing but a foul tar- and-chemical taste in my mouth. Bowl after bowl I kept being disappointed.

Recently (December 2008) I decided to give it a second chance, after enduring more than a pipeless decade. Again, I kept great expectations. And once more I was disappointed.

To smoke this concoction is not unlike paving your tongue with chloride and tar. Such a shame: your neighbors will surely be delighted with your aromatic services, but you, the smoker, will very likely become sea-sick with such an organoleptic experience.

Sousa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sousa (4)

It is a very good tobacco, loads of dedicated pipe smokers I know adore this blend. Above all it has a very nice flavouring, thoguht not excessive, it burns cool and produces thick smoke, my favourite smoke that is, cool and thick. It is a great tobacco to, as it don't bothers those who are next to you, for instance: I usually have lunch in a restaurant with 3 friends of mine, they always complain about my smoking habits, has only one of them is a smoker (cigarrete smoker the poor bastard), so they usually feel very unconfurtable with the smoke and the smell, with this tobacco they actually like it.

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

The original Mayflower mixture with which i started pipe smoking 30 years ago - along with Clan - , does not anything to do with Mayflower no.1. I tend to believe that T.Niemeyer has changed it's name to Flying Dutchman.

This Mayflower no 1 is a completely different tobacco and on pouch opening the evidence of "chocolate" is very clear.

The filling and maintenance is very easy, medium burning , with a "nutty" taste that can be a bit "boring", bowl after bowl. A very pleasant room aroma - not as pleasant as the "original" Mayflower - or Clan, but all in all, a decent smoke. ------ After several months without smoking this mixture, I returned on smoking it and I found it very very pleasant, compared with all the others I've been smoking.

It has become one of my favorites mixtures.