A high-contrast mixture canary yellow Virginia and pale brown Burley tobaccos determines the mild taste.

BrandTheodorus Niemeyer
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Packaging50g Pouch
CountryNL
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Mild to Medium, Very Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
1.5
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A bit ago, when I dropped by DanPipe's store, they had a few 'baccies they were de-listing at half-price, and this was one of them. I bought a tin, figuring if I didn't like it I could throw away the rest without too much harm done.

So, I popped the tin and got pretty much what I had expected: a dutch aromatic, ribbon cut, the leaf a little on the moist side. The tin aroma is defined by the BC and what I figure is a chocolate and nuts sauce, though not too heavily applied. The leaf is mostly dark; a good amount of BC in there with lots of dark brown and about a quarter of bright leaf in there. There is Burley in there, and the bright I figure to be VA.

So, into the pipe, lighting is OK (one match, after a little drying-out), and it's a mild, but actually quite flavourful affair, which surprised me at first. Sweet, chocolate-y, though not much build-up. I tend to have some, but not too much dottle left over. The room note was rated top notch by several bystanders when I lit up at an event, so I'll go with that judgment.

I'm not going to throw this away; it makes for a good first-in-the-day smoke for me. The flavouring is never obnoxious, it does not turn tarry, though I do get a bit of a chemical aftertaste at times.

Not a blend I will be coming back to, but for the aro crowd, I think it's well worth looking into. I did enjoy this with a good coffee alongside, or (believe it or not) a dry mead.

For a Dutch aro, I would say this is up there with the best of them, though I do note it is currently manufactured by STG and previously was by Swedish Match.

Pipe Used: VAUEN chuchwarden, Stanwell 109

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe

Similar Blends: Nothing I could think of at this time, really; not truly unique, but I'm just not very familiar with the current aromatics..

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I sincerely tried to appreciate this aromatic mixture. As my portuguese fellows Greytata and Sousa know, for ages this is one of the most omnipresent pipe tobaccos in Portugal's drugstores. It was one of the first I tried in the early nineties, when I began pipe smoking as a college student.

The pouch aroma is absolutely wonderful, full of promises of a delightful smoke. Yet it does not deliver at all.

I remember buying pouch after pouch of it, fifteen years ago, always expecting to have that aromatic experience. Puff after puff, I always got nothing but a foul tar- and-chemical taste in my mouth. Bowl after bowl I kept being disappointed.

Recently (December 2008) I decided to give it a second chance, after enduring more than a pipeless decade. Again, I kept great expectations. And once more I was disappointed.

To smoke this concoction is not unlike paving your tongue with chloride and tar. Such a shame: your neighbors will surely be delighted with your aromatic services, but you, the smoker, will very likely become sea-sick with such an organoleptic experience.