The first of a collection dedicated to Samuel Gawith 1st, Chocolate Flake is a luxury blend of Virginias, burley and long-leaf latakias. To complete the luxury a rich, dark chocolate has been added after cutting. Excellent smoking qualities with good smoke and a delicious room note. Medium strength.

Notes: Due to EU regulations this is now called "CF Flake" in Europe.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Packaging50 grams tin, bulk
Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste

Beautiful very dark brown flakes! Way too wet from the tin to keep lit but drying it out does change its flavor significantly. I enjoyed it both ways.

After smoking a tin of Bob's Chocolate Flake last year, I expected a similar batch of dryer sheet flavor from this one. I was dead wrong. Fresh from the tin, the chocolate flavor and aroma is more intense... that is to say, it's noticeable. The latakia takes a backseat and really only pops in on occasion, but it definitely enhances the experience. Moist, this smokes like a lightly flavored aromatic but the tobacco flavor overcomes the cocoa flavor. This experience was consistent down the bowl to the bottom.

Smoked very dry, this becomes a classic burley/virginia flake with a more prominent latakia taste... that is to say, the latakia is more noticeable, but nothing approaching an equal partner. The cocoa flavoring becomes more faint and appears as the same wisp that the latakia does when the tobacco is at tin moisture. Again, this experience is consistent down the bowl.

So this is actually two tobaccos depending on how dry it is smoked. I thoroughly enjoyed it both ways and, assuming SG tobaccos ever make it back to the U.S, I plan to stock up on it in bulk and store half dry and half moist. I found the lack of Lakeland florals in this one made it far superior to Bob's Chocolate Flake made by G&H. This one was more naturally flavorful but also a bit more chocolatey when moist. In other words, it did everything it's supposed to better than the G&H and also kept out the soapy flavor I abhor in Lakeland blends. Well done, SG!

The chocolate topping is fairly light, and not present in every puff. It perks up some here and there, and pleasantly lingers when it does as it plays well with the tobaccos. The Cyprian latakia is smokey and woodsy sweet, and beefs up the blend without taking over. The Virginia offers grass and citrus, while the burley is mildly molasses sweet with a few nut and earth notes in a support role. The nic-hit is almost mild to medium. Won't bite and has no harsh or dull moments. An exceptionally well designed flake that ought to appeal to those who smoke aromatics as well as non-aro smokers. A bit moist out of the tin, it does a little better when dried some. Burns a little slow, cool and clean with a smoothly consistent flavor. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant after taste. It has enough strength to keep you interested while maintaining the ability to be an all day experience.

Just got in a few tins of the new Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake and after a couple of bowls I can say it is wonderful! Smells delicious in the tin. The very dark colored strips will need a bit of drying before rubbing out (if that is your preference.)

This tobacco offering produces thick, creamy smoke, so, you'll need to keep lots of pipe cleaners at the ready as the leaf does produce quite a bit of steam even when dried considerably. Rich tobacco flavor with hints of chocolate and a healthy dose of nicotine makes this blend delightfully savory.

I can detect a smidgen of Latakia as I smoke which compliments the other components perfectly. Beats the G&H version by a mile (IMO, of course.)

I believe I'll have the whole first tin smoked in record time!

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice dark brown tobacco flakes; too wet from the tin to keep lit but drying it out does change its flavor significantly. Fresh from the tin, the chocolate flavor and aroma is intense. The latakia takes a backseat but it definitely enhances the experience.

Smoked very dry, this becomes a classic burley/virginia flake with a more prominent latakia taste... that is to say, the latakia is more noticeable, but nothing approaching an equal partner. The chocolate flavoring becomes more faint and appears as the same wisp that the latakia does when the tobacco is moist.

Well done, SG!

Purchased From: https://pipe-shop.net

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have wanted to try GHs Bob's Chocolate Flake and SGs Chocolate Flake for a good while now.

As with Bob's Chocolate Flake, I was off-put by Sam's version of Lakeland florals - way too perfumy for me to taste and appreciate the tobaccos within. Actually, both made me a bit nauseous and it took a while for the aftertaste of both to leave my palate. Not a pleasant experience for me.

Moisture content of both was just about right for a flake, although SGs was the drier of the two and the easiest to pack, light, and keep lit. I did get a bit of a nicotine hit with SGs Chocolate Flake, but nothing noticed with Bob's.

I intend to keep the lids off both of my tins for about a month to see if it minimizes (I hope rids them) of the soapy/perfumy tastes that made smoking these blends so not enjoyable for me. 1 star.

UPDATE 4-20-10: I had a similar experience as with Bob's Chocolate Flake (see 4-20-10 update under that heading). Deciding to re-visit since my original review, time has allowed all but a trace of the Lakeland presence to vanish, leaving a tobacco that was smokeable - and enjoyable - for me. After smoking both chocolate blends, I tend to favor Bob's Chocolate Flake more so than Sam's version due to a more pronounced (yet not over the top) chocolate flavor present throughout the smoke. Can't taste chocolate at all in Sam's version. I can definitely taste the Latakia in this one as it was minimal with Bob's (I'm not a big fan of Latakia so this was just fine). Sam's Latakia adds a subtle background presence and is more dominating than with Bob's. The soapy presence in Sam's was very minimal in the tin aroma, and nil while smoking this time around. Both are high quality tobaccos and I can now appreciate the 3-4 star reviews each has garnered. While perhaps never becoming daily smokes for me, both are definitely worthy of weekly rotation; but if I purchase any new tins, I will need to let the Lakeland presence dissipate off long before I smoke either blend. Sam's dries out quicker which was ok. The flakes were almost crunchy, but ladden with beautiful sugar crystals adding a subtle, non-cloying, sweetnes.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a big fan of GH's Bob's Chocolate Flake so I was quite interested in SG's Chocolate Flake. They are very different tobacco's in that I fully agree with Capt. in that this really is more of a cocoa flavor. Deeper, richer and less sweet than Bob's. Fresh from the tin I prefer this over my beloved Bob's, BUT....I am very much into aging my tobaccos (although I don't review aged blends unless noted) and I find that this blend doesn't age as well as BCF. I have smoked both with several years of age and to me Bob's wins hands down. So, if you want to enjoy an excellent chocolate flake, this one's the real deal. For me, when possible (rare these days for SG blends) I enjoy keeping a tin on hand. For aging, it's still Bob's for me. Recommended!

BigFatBloke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigFatBloke (4)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant

I bought this tobacco partly on a whim, partly as a continuation of my ongoing search for the tobacco to end all tobaccos. For General day-to-day smokes, I use Dunhill Nightcap. That's sorted the go-to end of the spectrum. Now I want something with room presence, flavour, and subtle nuances to savour. Sadly, this is not it. Upon opening the tin, the most delicious aroma of Belgian chocolate. Not just 'chocolate' but top quality, rich, slightly bitter, meltingly smooth chocolate from a chocolatier of distinction, supplier to the Crowned Heads of Europe. I could merrily sit and smell this stuff all evening. I did, in fact. Now the downsides. The flake is cut quite randomly, thickness-wise. Not really a 'downside' I suppose, but it makes drying out harder to judge, as you need to dry out some flakes more than others. The drying out.... oh yes, you do need to dry this out well. Direct from the tin, it is stickily moist to the point of being almost unlightable, and certainly not in a fit state to rub out. Gentle or firm rubbing, it just sticks together in chunks. So, after several hours of gentle drying out (made my boat smell like Willy Wonka's factory, but that's no bad place to be) I tried it in a deep bowled briar, first rubbed out, then with whole folded flake. Both proved hard to light, and impossible to keep lit. But that could be me, I'm still learning. Given the heavenly aroma from the tin, I was expecting a chocolate overload in my bowl. Disappointing. No discernible chocolate flavour at all. Not an unpleasant flavour, by any means, and not sickly sweet either. But chocolate? I finally found some chocolate, but that was in the aftertaste, an hour after smoking the tobacco. Don't get me wrong, this is not an unpleasant blend, by any means. I shall soldier on through the tin. But the quest for the all-time favourite must go on.

Pipe Used: Jean Claude bent briar

Purchased From: Burkitt's of Hove, UK. An emporium of the highest quality

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this to be such an unrefined product from the prestigious Samuel Gawith company. It reminds me of my own adventurous failures in flavoring tobacco with liqueurs and such. In the tin the flakes are overly moist and need to be dried out. It has somewhat of an alcoholic aroma which I'm not sure is from the casing but suspect it may be a processing agent of a neutral spirit to preserve the tobacco (inhibit mold)as I have noticed with other Samuel blends, even english ones.

As others have stated, this isn't like smoking a chocolate bar, in other words those flavors don't come through the smoke but do add a deeper semisweet character more so to the burning aroma. I seemed to notice the vanilla component a little more than the cocoa. Flavor is rather mild, almost bland and undistingwished much of the time with occasions of more natural virginia character assserting itself momentarily. It is a cool smoke; Some small amount of burely being blended in along with as stated Latakia which I could not detect.

As I mentioned before with my own experimenting, anyone could make a facsimile by soaking a virginia flake like SG's Best Brown Flake with a chocolate liqueur and dry it out and that's about what you get wtih SG's Chocolate Flake; A total failure and waste of good leaf.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)

This is another home run flake from Gawith. Some reviewers have commented on the lack of chocolate flavor, and they are correct. This is not "chocolate" in the typical aromatic sense, and if you buy it expecting to smoke a chocolate bar, you will be let down. What this is, to the contrary, is a very natural tobacco whose flavor just happens to be enhanced by the addition of chocolate.

This seems to be very similar to Best Brown Flake, with the addition of latakia and the aforementioned chocolate. This blend is extraordinary, and has quickly become one of my very favorites. I dry it a little from the tin after rubbing out, and pack it loosely. It lights easily and burns very coolly. With the most vigorous hard puffing it is only mildly hot, and when smoked patiently it never bites. If you are getting a hot smoke from this you really need to look at your packing and smoking techniques, because I assure you it is not the blend.

The flavor is singularly rich and enjoyable. The VA's provide the base, but in a very "Gawith" way. It is not tangy, bright, sweet, as is typical of VA blends. Rather, it is cool with a broad, deeply rich and slightly sweet. That, however, is only the beginning, as the subtle addition of latakia gives this blend a whole new level of flavor. The latakia blends perfectly with the chocolate. I would say the chocolate enhances the latakia flavor, so that you get an impossibly rich and sweet (but not in an aromatic, cased way) smoke with a subtle latakia flavor. The chocolate itself is only apparent by itself in the tin aroma, and is subtle there as well.

This is an extraordinary blend, and I would especially urge non-aromatic smokers to give this one a try.

=So I have had a pound of this in a savinelli humdor for years now, and it has morphed from very, very good to insanely, out of this world incredible. The flakes are now covered in sugars and the flavors have deepened and intensified while also becoming smoother. It also burns forever, a bowl of this rubbed out in a medium sized bowl will easily last an hour or more, and it never becomes hot or unpleasant. I once had an opportunity to smoke a VA flake that had been sitting unopened in my tobacconist's basement for more than 40 years, and it was one of the best smoking experiences ever. This is like that. If you have the patience a decade or more of aging does wonders for good virginias, and this is no exception. A truly singular experience.

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

I have thought on this barely-aromatic as I was working thru my first tin and I am concluding this is some special gear; I really like this flake a lot. The flavor, the nature of the blend, has been hard for me to pin down so I drifted over to these reviews and read the words of others for inspiration and guidence. You know - plagerism.

The latakia this blend claims is almost invisible but, knowing it's there, I imagine it adds body and depth. Like other aspects of the blend, the latakia effect is key but suble.

The Virginia is rich and flavorful but shows itself with gently rounded edges and a just-muted brightness; no doubt this is a taming effect of the latakia.

Chocolate? I may not have ever guessed that's what's in it but not for the clever clue written on the top of the tin. Having mastered the obvious (in this case) I detect there is something else going on besides muted brightness and a touch of smokey depth - there is that hint of sweet and tar that completely absorbs my interest thru the second have of a bowl. Chocolate, if they say so.

I've never seen a flake that smokes this rich and feels so leathery but burns so easily. (If there is a touch of burley in this perhaps it rounds off the Virgina a bit more and makes this flake burn so nicely.) The first light is the hardest, and it isn't that hard. I've shredded it, crumbled it, mooshed it, folded and corkscrewed it into the bowl and it burns fine every time. I can't make it burn my tongue and it must take a pretty bad pack and some serious uber-puffen to overheat a bowl.

The tobacco has my idea of perfectly balanced elements, none of which control the flavor, but rather, all of which contribute to a new and unexpected conclusion. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perfect flakes that light easily and burn evenly to a white ass. Exquisite aroma and flavor, but more of a VA/BUR than an aromatic. Not exactly chocolatey in taste, more like a medium strength Nicaraguan cigar, although with no cigar leaf characteristics (if that make sense). Moderate sweetness. No tongue bite. Latakia in the background (not a "smokey" tobacco). Moisture content a bit on the high side.

Better than GH's Bob's Chocolate Flake because it has almost none of the Lakeland floral essence that GH is known for, and because the SG flake has a more subtle and complex top note.

If allowed to dry completely, the top note flavors mostly disappear but the tobacco remains extremely tasty. So, as one other reviewer noted, it's like having two tobaccos in one.

I would put this tobacco on my Top 10 list, maybe even in the Top 5.

Pipe Used: Don Carlos Dublin

Age When Smoked: 3 years old

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: GH Bob's Chocolate Flake.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

EDIT (23.04.2012): A month of rest in an airtight tin does wonders on this. cheap alcohol and artificial cocoa gone to be replaced with milk chocolate taste. But unfortunately I was down to 2 flakes when this change occured. Last 2 flakes were phenomenal, so I'm indecisive if I should buy more and test. If that's the case then I'll have to change my rating.

Dr. Scott was right about this, it reminds me a bit of Kendal Cream Flake too, which I hate hate hate hate hate (I can go on and on and hate forever)

Lets insert some Samuel Gawith cliche here: inconsistent cut, wet wet wet, few tobacco lots of empty space, dense and dark flakes, hard to rub, relight relight relight but no delight

tin scent was alcohol mixed with something pretending cocoa + vanilla but no chocolate there. it's as if someone poured ultra cheap copy of tia maria liquor over it.

it's supposed to be lightly cased or a light aromatic but I had difficulties tasting the actual tobacco. Also ghosts your pipe big time. Latakia? No, there's fartakia in it but not latakia. even if there was, I guess at some point latakia couldn't bear this stinky cheap liquor odor and took left to its mom's house.

Somewhat recommended because additional balkan flake to it makes it palatable. Otherwise not recommended.

And strange enough, people compare SG- CF to GH-BCF but it has nothing to do with bob's chocolate flake which I had liked very much, even though lakeland flavors do not appeal to me.

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (43)

I don't believe in smoking aromatics, and have made the mistake of purchasing many GL Pease blends that I'll never touch again. Can't even enjoy mcketchup either.

SG Chocolate flake and C&D Epiphany are my two guilty pleasures.

The chocolate flavor is just right (think Ghirardelli) and the Latakia amount is perfect, and the burley and virginias peak through just the right amount, with the burley a bit more noticeable especially when dry. Burns slow with some relights necessary and ages well with crystallized sugars present.

Update: on my second tin. This new one does not smell the same. Less chocolate and more burley, nor does it have as many crystals. Haven't smoked it yet but will do so soon.. hope it performs.

Age When Smoked: Couple years

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Well my friends I have to say that the search for my all day everyday smoke has ended right here. SGCF is to me one of the finest flakes I've put into a bowl and set fire to. I prefer to fold and stuff although rubbed out reveals a different side to this fine flake. Even though this is a Va base the Va for me is more of a side note adding some sweetness to the blend. The best part IMHO is the Burly, yes my friends Burly. Even though CF has been topped with chocolate it doesn't overwhelm any of the components in this blend but enhances them. The Latakia is more of bit player adding just a little spice here and there giving more flavor and body to the blend. Much has been said about CF by more sage reviewers than myself so I'll just leave this right here. I remain your brother in smoke

4/4 stars

Pipe Used: Stanwell HCA, Chacom Eltang

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

To call Sam Gawith's Chocolate Flake a disappointment would be an understatement. Aside from Grousemoor, I enjoy most of Sam Gawith’s blends, especially their flakes. At least with Grousemoor I knew what I was getting into, an acquired taste that I simply just never acquired.

The most disappointing thing about Chocolate Flake is that I found it harsh and disagreeable to my senses. I agree with reviewer anixi, smoking this also left me feeling unwell and it wasn’t for the nicotine. Anyway, whatever Gawith cased this with, as discreet as it may be, just doesn't agree with my constitution, so I'll make this short.

The tin note is fruity and sweet with a subtle trace of smoke from the Latakia. The room note was nice, the aftertaste not so much. Throughout the bowl, I got very subtle hints of the Latakia but could not detect the cocoa. Altogether, I found the flavor to be somewhat dull, which was also a disappointment. I expected a far deeper flavor, especially after listening to an interview with Bob Gregory who mentioned that Chocolate Flake is derived from Full Virginia Flake, which I love.

Next time I feel like having some chocolate, I’ll break into my wife’s stash of Valrhona, have some gelato, a brownie, anything; however, I'll keep the chocolate off my tobacco. I can't recommend this flake, but considering the quality of the tobacco, I'll give it two stars because nothing that Sam Gawith produces, at least nothing that I have smoked yet, deserves my one star rating.

pecheur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pecheur (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Like all of Sam's flakes it comes a little moist for smoking, so I like to pop the tin and leave the flakes inside for 24 hrs before jarring. The tin note is fantastic, it smells like quality drinking chocolate. Being a dense flake I rubbed it out before smoking.

I find the chocolate flavour subtle and it weaves in and out of smoke, when it appears it's a very nice genuine milk chocolate flavour. The latakia doesn't really jump out at the taste buds it's sits in the background adding a hint of richness to the smoke.

Unfortunately I also find an acrid note to the smoke which stays through the bowl, I find this rather unpleasant and for me it ruins the smoke. Pity because I apart from the acrid flavour I enjoyed the flake. I might just put a couple if tins away to cellar and to see if it looses that acrid note.

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.com

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this and wasn't too crazy about it. I am thinking that I am just not into smoking chocolate although I do like to eat it. My experiences with chocolate so far are Boswell's chocolate cream, Molto Dolce (chocolatey) and Mac Baren's Honey and Chocolate (despised this one). This was different from the latter two in that the topping was more subtle. Something that I would usually like in an aromatic.

I did not really pick up any of the smokiness from the Latakia, so it must be used sparingly. There is no doubt some Lakeland essence in this that takes the chocolate in a different direction. Otherwise, the tobacco is great like one would expect from SG. Thick flakes in the tin that are well presented. A little difficult to light when fresh.

I am at odds how to rate this one. Personally, I am at a two star, but objectively it is probably a three. I am holding fast at two stars though as I find this blend odd. I can see where some will and do love this blend, but I think that this is a narrow niche in the pipe world. I know that I won't buy this one again, but I may come back and revisit this review after I have had a chance to smoke GH's bob's Chocolate flake of which a tin rests in my cellar.

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (10)
Medium Very Strong Extra Full Pleasant

Wet, wet, wet.

It's this form of tobacco that made the Brits bring in their tobacco purity laws in the first place. Could not believe just how soaked this blend was. Open the tin for a day or two to even think about keeping it lit.

I really couldn't believe the smell out of the tin when I opened it. The chocolate smell could stun a child from across the room. I'm normally not a great fan of the aromatics, and bought this one on a bit of a whim.

As with all SG products the tobacco just looks grand. Rustic and proud. Once dried out can be quite easily rubbed out. Let's just say that my whimsical bent was satisfied. Not a disgusting smoke by any means, and the tobacco quality shines through, but I won't be buying again

MAXYSDAD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAXYSDAD (9)

Easy pack , easy smoke , easy on ya tongue , then !!! O. M .G - They are right -the soap smell!!it stinks in the tin of soap , even when it dissipates in the smoking process , once you latch onto the pre-smoke stink [ the pinky phenolic stuff @ school when you had short pants} it spoils the whole road show ,don,t be fooled by the room note- its the decoy{ as it is OK ] blec

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

In my opinion this could be a very nice aromatic smoke--full of character and not at all cloying (it seems a dark bitter chocolate flavor was used), but the Latakia element makes it somewhat bloated. I liked the flavor, but since Virginia leaf, unlike Burley, is not exactly prone to absorb artificial toppings, I kind of get the impression that the chocolate was forced into the blend. The slightly salty undertone of Latakia does not exactly help, and in fact makes for a heavy room aroma, not at all appreciated by the wife. However, I imagine this can be a novel smoke in cold weather, especially for the Latakia lover who'd like a change of pace.

I agree with other reviewers in the sense that artificially condimental tobaccos are not the specialty of British blenders. Another similar Lakeland experiment (Perfection), only goes to proves the point.

SmokingHawk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingHawk (28)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very neatly and beautifully presented dark brown flakes tin aroma is of Latakia dominant came out of tin just dry enough to packs easily and smoking is a pleasure... you get that Coco and chocolaty taste till the last drop burns evenly needed couple relights very enjoyable smoke experience with nic hit medium to someone intense upon smoking fast. Highly recommend!

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: One year old

Purchased From: Cup O Joes

Similar Blends: Bobs, Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Bobs Chocolate Ready Rubbed.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Samuel Gawith - Chocolate Flake.

I reviewed this years back and wanted to re-post.

Opening a tin reveals a set of flakes that are a little darker than medium brown, with yellow specks, there's an absence of the usual Sam' G' moisture issue, and the chocolate is easy to identify in the aroma.

I don't find it as 'sticky', or sweet, as Bob's Chocolate Flake. The chocolate adorns the tobaccos, but doesn't dominate the smoke. The Burley and Virginia are about equal in weight, with the Latakia giving a 'touch', rather than a blast of smokiness. The burn from C.F. couldn't be better, being even and cool. The actual smoke? Dense, thick, heavy, and bite-free.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: Pleasant enough.

Easy, highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Levent Meer'

Purchased From: G.Q. Tobaccos

Luckyluke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Luckyluke (11)

To put it simply, this tobacco is an english blend with a cocoa topping. Not bad at all by any means, I have no idea how some people don't taste any cocoa, its there alright especially on the retrohale. I would say i lean more towards bobs chocolate flake rather than this one because of the rich and full flavor of bobs, one difference i noticed is the latakia stands out alot more with this one and i am not sure if the cocoa compliments it fully, don't get me wrong it goes very nice but not as nice as in bobs for some reason. I smoke this rubbed out and dried for 30 to about 40 minutes.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)

A very nice and balanced blend!once you crack the tin a nice and very natural smell comes out consisted of chocolate,cocoa in combination with some dark fruits and nuts.the blend moisture is medium and once rubbed it needs some time to dry out.packs ok and needs some effort to light.several relights are needed.while burning it has a complexity.the topping is present but never subtlimates the tobacco flavours.the virginias are the main players offering mostly dark fruits and some times grass and citrus notes.the burleys are sweet and nutty and the latakia are in the backround not always present with some smokey and woodsy notes.burns very slow and clean(depends how you rub it),medium hot with some moisture being created,to total ash without dottle.the nicotine level is medium and the room note pleasant.no tongue bite for me.in my opinion this is an all day blend wich refers to aromatic and non aromatic lovers.

Age When Smoked: Rubbed and left to dry for 1/2 hour

Phils Galore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phils Galore (7)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have smoked several tins of this over the past few years with varying degrees of satisfaction. Some tins have been good and some have been rather flat and boring. I'm not sure why this is. I suspect it has something to do with how well the tin was sealed. I was recently gifted a ten year old tin, which I am currently smoking. This tin is a good example of this tobacco at it's best. It was not overly moist and needed no drying before it was smoked. I usually rub this out as it is slow burning even when rubbed out. The flavours are Virginia, and Latakia, with just an ever so slight hint of chocolate. This tin is old enough that the flavours have melded so well that it is impossible to tell where one stops and the other starts. While this tobacco is medium in strength, it is mild in taste. For that reason I've dedicated a couple of pipes to this. I should also state that I have had some younger tins that have tasted almost as good as this older tin. They were, of course, moister. I will finish off this tin but probably won't buy any more as I prefer Sam's Flake and SG Navy Flake to this. However, if someone else offers me another ten year old tin of this, I won't hesitate to accept it!

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: from 1 to 10 years

Purchased From: victory Cigar, Oshawa

Roger Xavierq Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roger Xavierq (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I love this delicious flake! This is truly my "sit-back-and-relax" kind of smoke! I am a big fan of SG flakes and was eager to try their Choco Flake. I have to say that my expectations were more than surpassed.

Tin aroma is one of the best I've experienced. Nothing overbearing or dominant but instead the VA, latakia and chocolate scents seemed VERY blended and complimentary and the flakes are long and thick, of a beautiufl dark brown color.

Although the smoke starts out rather thin, by the end of the bowl it has taken on a creamy mouth-feel. If care is given to drying and loading, Chocolate Flake can be pushed very hard before it bites back - but be warned, when it does decide to bite, it does so with a vengeance!

Very lightly cased, Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake offers a very pleasant tobacco flavour. The latakia is dark but very smooth and muted. You can taste latakia all day long in this flake but somehow it is pushed back from the forefront without at all seeming diluted. In thinking back I'd have to say it was like the latakia had been perforated and then quickly passed thru a cloud of vaporous chocolate cream. That's it.

The burning qualities are exceptional - in fact, almost too good. The ash remnants are so fine that one must be extremely careful when tamping so as not to clog the airway. I would suggest you smoke this blend on a full stomach if you have any concerns about nicotine levels.

All in all I found this very easy and relaxing to smoke. highly recomend!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Royal Prince 97

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin

Purchased From: La Civet, Paris

Mike10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike10 (16)

This was an enjoyable tobacco. It had a very smooth, dry, and flavorful taste and feel consistently though the bowl. Its tin aroma was slightly misleading, but still gave a "ball park" promise of how it would smoke. Based on the writing of Frank Hanna, I eventually tried his suggestion of blending chocolate and Latakia, and found it very enjoyable. So, this chocolate-Latakia-Burley blend was almost sure to please.

Granted, this is already a blend, but on several occasions I admit I experimented with it by adding minimal amounts of Dark Star or Yenidje Supreme which both yielded a somewhat milder, yet richer and more balanced smoke.

Pipe Used: Comoy, Yves St.Claude, GBD

Age When Smoked: unkown

Purchased From: online

Similar Blends: McClelland Tastemaster or #403 (Darkest Chocolate).

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)

SG has a talent for making some of the tastiest flakes, but they can also be the wettest, unevenly cut and most difficult to catch flame. This flake is wonderful in its flavoring, it is so subtle and delicious. Take some rich VA and mix it with just a bit of latakia, make to a cake, slice and add some rich chocolate topping. This flake does not produce enough smoke for my tastes, but it seems as though this is a defining characteristic of the blender. The tin aroma is wonderful, the aroma while smoldering is even more alluring. The latakia changes the flavor while melding with the chocolate to produce a warm, slightly spicy flavor that is second to none. This is one not to be missed. MJBLTY

Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (25)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The major issue I have with this tobacco is that it is just too damn moist straight from the tin, which ruins the smoking experience. I was ready to give up on this blend but then another review told me to leave the tin open for a day to allow the flakes to dry out. Once that was done I was rewarded with an extremely tasty smoke. Yes the chocolate taste is delightful and quite long lasting. I had no problem keeping it alight and found that my taste buds were really rewarded when I sipped the tobacco rather than puffing away like crazy. Straight from the tin it's a pain but when dried out it is a wonderful tobacco.

Pipe Used: My Gandalf Pipe

Purchased From: Black swanne

Similar Blends: bob's chocolate flake.

jonoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonoz (12)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Love it. The most gentle of all tobaccos I have tried.Lovely taste, don't know what it is but I love it.Slight chocolate taste and this stays in your mouth.

Update: looking through the reviews I see much mixed messages. This stuff will never bite if dried out properly. I leave the tin open for 24-48 hrs depending on how wet it arrives, breaking the flakes after the first 12. Of course you will have trouble lighting it if it is wet ! As I said, it is gentle and I have it as my first smoke of the day, and then move on to BBF.

2015-3-22 just thinking(dangerous, I know). I mentioned in review of Firedance that, I.M.O.,toppings dumb down the taste of the tobaccos they are added to and I am wondering what this particular combination would taste like in it's unadulterated form. When I smoke Choc Flake I feel there is a great tobacco trying to be heard.

Pipe Used: various

Purchased From: www.smoker.co.il/info@smoker.co.il

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am going to violate my own rule and review a blend I would not normally do. I try to not review blends outside my usual comfort zone of English, VaPers, or C&D burleys, but make an exception here.

Obviously quality Virginias well matured and pressed. Not overly sweet, but still with the tang of Virginias. When I first loaded this up it was far too wet rendering a steamy pipe, hard to keep afire. And I did not like the flavor at all.

Fast forward six months after which time my tins had dried almost to a dessicated state. Packed in a small cob and the smoke is much better. I can see how folks who like flavored blends could like this. Personally I rate his at two stars but would say three for the guys who appreciate topped blends.

Pipe Used: Lorenzo Banker - briar

Age When Smoked: Current production

Purchased From: Cigar Express - McKee's Rocks, PA

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Very weak on the latakia side, and quite strong in flavoring. I would define this a tobacco entirely on his own. Worth trying at least once. The tobacco tends to dry once the tin is open, and this means you must deal with a full tin of a flavored tobacco to be smoked. So and so..

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought it in the Bulk form. Twin, Long and beautiful flakes, easy to charge and light.

Good, slow burning, good flavour.

3 Stars for their quality, but for me is desirable that it may be have less Nicotine.

BigWhiteWilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigWhiteWilly (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A delightful smoke from start to finish. I normally prefer much stronger tobacco, but this stuff is very flavorful from start to finish. Smells and tastes, from start to finish,just like the pouch smell when you first open it. Not many tobaccos can do that. I like it best in a meerschaum.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)

This is most wonderful tobacco from Samuel Gawith really nice smell and great room note LOVELY Blend and my Favorite for all time

Badbrude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badbrude (11)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is a terrific, harmonious blend of top-shelf virginias, burley, an optimal amount of Latakia, and a wisp of cocoa. If there is a cocoa taste, it is quite subtle, athough cocoa is definitely present to the room note. I find the taste similar to SG's Navy Flake, probably due to similar percentage of latakia and virginias, but the addition of burley adds the expected nuttiness to the flavor, and the room note is a tad different.

The cocoa is more subtle and less sweet than Bob's Chocolate Flake, which also has a more predominent cocoa aroma before smoking. I slightly prefer SG's version.

As usual with SG products, it's quite moist so a little drying before smoking is reccommended.

Overall, a well-rounded smoking experience. SG's Cholocate Flake will definitely remain in my rotation, assuming I can continue to find it.

Lastly, a word about Samuel Gawith. I've been a pipe smoker for decades but only came across SG a few years back when I started smoking flakes. There's a lot of good product here in the States but the folks in Lakeland are a cut above.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

50g rectangle tin.

Tin aroma: potent slight perfume(masculine)cocoa& mild tonquin/woody waxy vanilla,(not dissimular to Gawith and Hogarth's 'Bobs Chocolate Flake')full dairy butter,earthy.

Appearance of uneven, dark bark brown coloured, roughly hand chomped, honest looking meaty flakes, with salt or sugar crystals.

I take some loose stuff and speculating that it will be difficult to light without pre-drying,i put it in a bud grinder to tear it into raggy little loose pellets to creat some more exposed surface area.

Lighting is quite easy actually and i don't get much expansion overflow due to the fully rubbed out nature of my preparation having already expanded it.

Tastes how it smells,i feel i can mainly taste a browned virginia,mature and fermented with a slight earthy burley backdrop.Very well melded together to produce a 'burginia/virley' where it tastes like a single tobacco. Whole wheat but thoroughly smooth ground with no lumpiness.

Meaty earthy full,but gentle,buttery with evident cocoa hint and very light tonquin & potters clay red terracotta/ bread dough mouth feel.Its thick and rich like a big butter pie pastry.

Slow and cool burning,but possibly faster than it would be due to the extreme rubbed out nature of my preparation;if i had smoked this in a more intact flake form,i am sure it would be cooler and slower again(but would it burn?)and i would probably be tasting the burley more. But seeing as i dislike relights and that this is already performing as good as i would like already,i don't see any need to alter my preparation methods.

Sweet and salty in equal measure at the same time,but not to the point of being brine like;the interface between sweet and savoury actually(kind of mocca coffee - meets malted night drink).

Simular to G&H 'Bobs chocolate flake',but no smokey latakia hint,and also this doesn't have half of bobs 'playdoh'factor(a factor i do like in bobs,but didn't want in Sams because i wanted this to be different).

Regarding the pipe,i am using a vintage 'Turbo Flow' aluminium stem system pipe with moisture trap ala falcon style,with about a @2.5mm draught diameter smoke tube which being slim amplifies and concentrates the virginias to be tasted at their fullest without compromising other ingredients.I expect this baccy will be a gentler option for those who are not so keen on the lakeland charecteristic which is stronger in G&H'S Bobs Chocolate Flake.

The moisture trap needs to be wiped out about 1 or 2 times in a smoking session or i drown;but its not a problem - and means the system is doing its job and i am getting a good dry smoke which doesn't leave unburned dottle.

Creats a sweet & savoury bakery room note with no sour stale ammonia or cigarettish hum/linger.

The post pipe aftertaste is akin to a powdery bakers flour/pie pastry mix with cocoa powder and slight brown sugar factor. No bite at all or soapyness either.

This and 'Bobs Chocolate Flake'make good contemporaries and substitutes when i want to smoke a chocolate flake like them. I will definately keep some on hand and would buy again.

The nicotine is medium to strong,but the heavyness of the rich tobacco that actually makes me feel like i have a full stomache afterwards, makes the nicotine probably feel higher than it actually is.It feels like a heavier weight strong dark english ale that while not high in percentage,it compensates in density(of which would probably be the perfect complimentary drink).

Once lit, it burns all the way down with little maintenance to a fine fluffy ash..

3 Stars* recommended.

Update:just checking 'Tobacco Reviews' for a second oppinion,it mentions latakia;i admit that i never tasted any directly but it could explain a certain mouth-feel where its coolness was felt and perhaps amplified or disguised itself well with the cocoa to taste like a burn't cocoa,or like the well-done crust on a slice of bread if you get my meaning.

The latakia in here is definately in lighter measure than in Bobs chocolate flake.I would not change pipes to augment the latakia (bigger draught smoke tube)because i feel it will creat taste losses in the virginia,plus the latakia in here is probably serving some subtle technical background control function to serve the burley and virginia marriage rather than as a real 3rd tasting ingredient i recon(others may differ).

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

best brown with sutle hint of cocao witha dash of latikia. mmm mm this one tastes good too.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I really liked this blend. Moist right out of the tin, a few minutes drying is all that is needed. The tobacco is dark, rich in taste, low levels of latakia but noticeable, and a nice background of cocoa; not the sweet candy bar kind, but a more bittersweet cocoa used in baking. Not A plus material, but very good.

gunnn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunnn (4)
Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

i enjoy this smoke and find it very relaxing. i am not a chocolate fan and was very pleased to find that the hint of chocalate barely comes through. if you are a new pipe smoker wanted to journey into english tobacco this is probably a good choice but if you are a fan of all things chocolate you will be disappointed.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)

Chocolate Flake is one of the most relaxing blends. Wherever you smoke it, it creates that home atmosphere. Mellow Virginia, cocoa taste, and a hint of the trademark Lakeland scent which gradually fades away. Hardly anything that's associated with Latakia, which does not diminish the outstanding characteristics of this blend. Most highly recommended for relaxed indoor smoking.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Hooh boy, another 4 star rating from old Frosty. This has been so expertly described already that I will merely say that I really like this flake. I fully rub out enough for the bottom 1/4of the bowl, then rub the rest out quite coarsly. This is just wonderful, and as is my habit I have devoted a nice big Bjarne billiard exclusively to this flake. Wonderful creamy smoke, reminds me of bittersweet brownies. Pipe smoking to me represents comfort, and I just picture myself this winter sitting in my new man cave in the basement, a nice cup of tea laced with brandy, stoking up a bowl of Chocolate Flake while listening to gentle music. Try this, you will like it. Not an aromatic in the genre of candy coated glop, by the way. Yum!

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

Flavor: The chocolate comes through but not in an overpowering manner and the tobacco flavor comes through beautifully. The Latakia, used as a condiment here, adds an interesting dimension.

Complexity: One of the few aromatics out there that offer some degree of complexity. The tobaccos are properly married. The Virginia isn't all that obvious (due to the casing) but it's present though you need to concentrate to detect it. The Burley is pretty easy to pick up and is superbly complimented by the chocolate casing.

Aroma: The predominant aromas are of milk chocolate, Burley and a hint of Latakia.

Tin aroma: Smells of chocolate with something else. Somewhat sour.

Room note: a wife pleaser. The Latakia is only a condiment here so it doesn't leave its signature stink. The note also does not linger too long after smoking.

Burning characteristics: This tobacco comes on the moist side, some drying is necessary (but not required) to facilitate lighting. Once I got it going I had to relight once or twice but, to me, this isn't a big issue.

Cut/Moisture content: The flakes are hard to fully rub due to the high moisture content. What I did was rub, dry for an hour, rub again. This might be inconvenient to some looking for a "quick fix." It might be specially inconvenient for those who are not inclined to spend much time with an aromatic.

Overall: Very good blend. A welcome change of pace from my steady Balkan diet. Although the Latakia is noticeable it's used in small ammounts as a spice. I wouldn't consider this a "Crossover" blend. Recommended.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like most on this board, I avoid anything with "cherry", or "chocolate" in the name. Reason being, we've all had our foray into the flavored stuff, and our tongues were singed, and our pipes soaked. I love most everything Samuel Gawith makes, and bought a tin as a 'change of pace' for the Xmas holiday.

After 1 tin, its now a member of the rotation, with more in reserve. This is one of those magic tobaccos for me, and I've been smoking it exclusively. It isn't chocolate, but more cocoa. The flavor is extremely natural.

Neither the Latakia or the flavoring is overpowering to the smoker, or the bystander. The flavor is as pleasurable as the room note.

It came pretty wet in the can, so I gave it some air. It burns cool and dry.

I really don't see how anyone could find fault with this blend.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Chocolate Flake is a bit of an oddity in that it is a virginia based aromatic. The virginia base is of excellent quality. The latakia is difficult to detect - but there is a certain gravitas to the smoke which most likely comes from it. The chocolate is not sweet, and does not interfere with the tobacco taste. There are no high notes in this, but the consistently dark flavour is by no means monochromatic. The tin aroma is chocolate and I was not sure if I was going to like it, but have gone through the tin in no time at all and will look forward to more as a cold weather aromatic.

A must try for the lover of aromatic tobaccos, but equally recommended to pure virginia smokers as a variation on a theme.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Sammy G. has done himself proud with this mix.I like my tobacco's on the dry side, and I like my flakes rubbed out fully. I dry and rub out SG Chocolate flake and it smokes great, tastes great, doesnt bite. I'm normally a non flavored tobacco smoker, but this is done so well. I cant help but love it.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When is an aromatic not an aromatic? I get no chocolate unless I seek it, and there it is. This comes off more like a burley to me than a Virginia (with rumored latakia): kind of cloaking and graham-crackery almost sweetness. It is not dumbed down with the inevitable vanilla like the rest. Intriguing blend, this stuff, a chimerical oddity that is difficult to describe and categorize.

I like it best not rubbed out, but cut into bowl height strips and stood on end and allowed to remain there until dry enough to ignite. (Really: I found this so wet from the tin I did a loss on drying test with a few flakes and a sensitive balance. Over 20% by weight lost overnight, leaving a still-pliable flake.) Once dried and lit, it starts with a heady creamy aromatic smoke with a flavor that builds nicely. The best part is the luxurious bottom third, which takes some time to get to. Some reviewers disliked relighting, yet I found no off tastes.

This is a quirky tobacco I think all should try at some point. There really is no comparable blend to this one. No soap, no cavendish, no vanilla. The chocolate is subtle. Yes, there is plenty of nicotine and tobacco flavor. It makes for a good change of pace smoke.

Update 4/11 Dried crispy 5 year opened crystal-saturated flakes are surprisingly cocoa-ish and delicious, quite possibly the best smoke yet for me. Downgraded nicotine to "medium" and upgraded aroma to pleasant. This blend is no longer available due to hoarding and it's a damn shame. Otherwise, the above still holds. It's not for everybody: send me your unwanted tins. Gawd I love this stuff. I just love this stuff.

rosczich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rosczich (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i guess its based on the reciept of Full Virginia Flake,but there is a hint of latakia in it. the Chocolate aroma is really delicate, but believes a companion for the smoker until the end of the pipe, without becoming "owerthelming".they say its one of samuel own favourites, but who knows?i suggest to drink a good cup of cold chocolate with it.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is also available in bulk via the net and I'm glad that I chose this route since I had more of this high quality tobacco to smoke. A tin would have disappeared far too fast. The dark brown to black flakes were ~1"x6"x3/64" and pliable enough to avoid rub out which is my normal, initial approach. Packing and lighting were easy and relights were not required. The tin aroma was inviting and the room aroma less objectionable to non smokers than most other Latakia blends. I didn't sense the chocolate in either. This blend was consistent within a bowl and from bowl to bowl in a variety of bowl sizes and little condesation occurred even without drying the tobacco. The Latakia is present but not so dominant to overpower the sweet VAs. The absence of the Lakeland 'soapy' taste was also appreciated when compared to the G&H variety of the same name. This blend produces a thick, intense, rich smoke that is too much for my tastes as an all day item. However, I'm starting to prefer Latakia after meals and this and Solani 763 are the winners to date. Give it a try.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (138)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a very good Chocolate Flake. I like it a little better than GH's version. Here, the VA's lead with notes of citrus and grass, the burley has notes of nut (goes good with chocolate, right!) and some earthiness as well. The Lat. is way in the background and comes through once in a while it is woodsy and sweet. The chocolate note is slightly bitter more like a dark chocolate and not very sweet, again like dark chocolate. It is very mild and does not overpower the tobaccos but is present and for me I could taste it in every puff. Overall strength is med. but the nic is closer to the mild to med. range. Could be smoked all day if one was inclined to do so but it wins no complements from the wife and friends with its room note. Smokes slow and surprisingly dry for an aromatic. Well worth a try if you are looking for a chocolate aromatic blend.

jimyfafy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimyfafy (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Hmm. A bit of conjecture here. I have smoked this blend for a good while and this tin is more the color of St james flake than the old tins. Still it has the coco flavor of old.I,m finding it a little more biting perhaps due to less time in the press.I,m guessing demand these days exceeds production.(Old woman says i fall in to this catagory myself.Ive never bit her so whats her problem.) Anyone else notice this? Still quality is there

Pipe Used: Calabresi straight apple

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Bobs chocolate flake sort of but less sweet.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant

This tobacco is one of my favourites! (EDIT: Used to be, I don't like Lat. that much anymore, but still this is a top notch blend for people who like Latakia!)

As you open the tin, you'll get a deep, dark chocolate Smell, just a whiff of Latakia can be noticed if you concentrate on smelling it. But the Latakia acts more of a "supporter" in this whole thing.

You have to seperate the taste into two, because the it significally changes if you dry it out.

1. Fresh out of the tin

Condition and preparation: - I'ts very, very(!) moist! - I take a few slices and rub them out, stuff it into the pipe pretty gentle, but not too soft. So it has air to keep lit at least for a couple of puffs.

The taste: Even tho it reminds of "hard work" smoking it wet, i'ts definetly worth it! It tastes solely like dark chocolate. Here and there you get a clue on that there's Latakia in it. The Burley support the awesome chocolate flavouring damn well! The only bad thing is you have to light it a bunch of times to keep it lit and all in all you should take your time and not be in a rush, if you smoke it that way.

2. Dried out (4-6 Hours, 12 hours once but that was too dry for my taste)

Condition and preparation: - After 4-6 hours its halfly dried. From the outside the tobacco is already pretty dry, but inside of the flake slices its still a bit juicy. For my taste this is the perfect dried condition for smoking it. After 12 hours its completly dried out and is absolutely smoke-able. But I prefer it 4-6 hours. Its your choice! - I rubbed it out, too! But you could form a ball, or use any flake technique you'd like when its dry!

The taste: A whole diffrent experience! The Chocolate takes a backseat, as the Latakia comes to take you to Latakia heaven. Not too strong taste - but its there, and its delicious! Here its the opposite of smoking it wet! The Chocolate can only be detected here and there - every 3th/4th puff you take.

_______

All in all this is a genius blend in my humble opinion! 4/4 Stars (Edit: Also I wanna mention that after I smoked 2 tins of this, my pipe was ghosted real hard and deep. It took a while to get rid of most of the taste. Every now and then I belive I taste it again, but that might possibly imaginagtion I'll admit. Still: This tends to ghost!)

Pipe Used: Aldo Morelli 781, sandblasted

Age When Smoked: 1. fresh out of the tin/Dried for at least 4 hour

Purchased From: Peter Heinrichs Chateau Henri, Bergheim, Germany

My Sample was from their BULK offering . I think reviewer, "DK" 2010-10-06, gave an excellent review from the TIN offering. Seems like we may have a processing consistency problem with the bulk, there was NO , NADA, ZIP, ZERO Chocolate flavor ,neither damp nor dried. Hey, the underlying tobacco was good, but that's not why I bought this blend.

I am totally reluctant to try G&H's Bob's Chocolate because of the underlying "Lakeland Floral" , my most hated essence in any quantity. I have to rate this low, because it's not what It's advertised in BULK

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new bulk

Similar Blends: a NONE Chocolate.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought it in the 250gram box which contains a plastic zip-closure pouch which is permeable by air. Pouch aroma was of natural aged tobacco, yeasty and sweet with a faint cocoa aroma. Bear notice to the caveat emptor: ‘sold subject to loss by evaporation 250g’. So in truth as far as moisture is concerned you’re buying a pig in poke…

I was lucky to receive a box with almost perfect moisture to smoke straight away – not the usual Gawith wetness. The Flakes are brown colored and they rub out easily. They take to light easily and keep lit almost with no relighting to the end leaving a fine white ash. Fantastic behavior!

The smoke is also excellent, it burns slow, it is potent and flavorful with a combination of nutty Burley and natural yeasty Virginia taste and a faint aroma of ground cocoa. I only thought I noticed the Latakia after reading that it included some. Absolutely no bite, innocuous to pleasant room note. Maybe a little too strong for me to become an all-day tobacco, but I can sure enjoy a couple of bowls in the evening. An absolute four star tobacco!

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (87)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Clean dry smoke, no tong bite at all, doesn't matter you puff slow or fast.No moisture at the end, just clean ash. Nice English aromatic blend. Worth to try it.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Cigarworld.de

Similar Blends: Gawith Hogarth - Chocolate flakes..

Midnight Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Midnight Smoker (1)

This is my first review and I am a relatively new pipe smoker, so take it for what it's worth. As others have said, this stuff is pretty moist. I rubbed some out and let it sit for a half an hour and I didn't have much trouble smoking it. Very nice, smooth, rich smoke, in my opinion. The cocoa is there more in the tin note than the taste. I must have received an odd batch of this tobacco, because the Latakia is obvious and very much in the foreground for the first quarter of the bowl. Then again, I snork nearly every mouthful. The Latakia slowly integrates with the other tobaccos through the rest of the bowl, while the cocoa takes a back seat the entire time. I really like this one and I will likely buy more, but I'm not sure yet how often I will reach for it. I got a fairly nice nicotine hit from this, so I'm calling it medium strength.

Pipe Used: MM Cob, Peterson Dalkey x105

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (60)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

S.G. Chocolate is a real treat tobacco . It is , by far , the best chocolate flake that I have smoked . At the end of the day it beats the G & H chocolate because it has that real dark chocolate flavor . The problem with this tobacco , and all S.G. tobaccos ,is that is delivered way too moist to smoke . It should be called Rain Forrest blend . Leaving it out to dry for a while doesn't really work because , like chewing gun left on the bed post overnight , it losses it's flavor . What does work for me is adding some really non descript Virginia flake and rubbing it out well . I usually use either Sutlif Virginia flake or the Newminster Virginia flake , nieher of which really changes the flavor of the chocolate . Mostly , I add about a 30% amount of the Virginia . For a really moist can , which sometimes happens , I will go as high as 50% . I mix each smoke separately . The S.G. chocolate flavor is so well done that the add mixture of Virginia does not detract from the chocolate flake . Although this mixture does have some latakia in it I cannot taste it . All in all , this is a great flavored tobacco , actually the only one I ever smoke . If you find S.G. mixtures too moist , and who doesn't , try my method . It works with all the S.G. mixtures .

aksamolsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aksamolsa (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a fine blend, everything with the right amount. Satisfying, not overwhelming, nothing harsh or difficult. I can smoke it all day and night, a bit of dull may be for smoking regularly but there are lots of other SG tobaccos to cheer you up or challenge you for an adventure.

Erman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erman (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For me this is a perfectly balanced flake. I am amazed how Virginia, Burley, Latakia and Chocolate flavour perfectly complements each other. I have noticed that tins have more chocolate flavour than 250g bulk presentation.

Pipe Used: Several Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh, 6 month aged in a jar.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When you open the tin, two rows of neatly stacked, dark brown flakes speckled with some tan leafs are awaiting you, effusing the typical peat smoke smell of Latakia and some earthy cocoa scent, which is an interesting combination. As you would expect from Samuel Gawith, the slices feel rather moist.

From a freshly opened tin it's wise to let the tobacco dry for one or two hours before filling your pipe. You might rub the flakes out, but I prefer to use the fold and stuff method. Either way it's important not to fill your bowl too tightly.

Depending on how fresh and moist the tobacco is, it can take a few lights more to get it burning evenly. You will at least need a thorough charring light and, after leveling out the ashes with your tamper, an equally thorough true light. An occasional re-light might also be required. Apart from that, the Chocolate Flake tends to burn slowly and coolly.

Even though this is a good-natured smoke, because of the Virginias in the blend it needs a little attention. The smokiness from the Latakia and the chocolate flavoring are in the forefront. However, it's not a milk chocolate kind of sugariness, but rather the bittersweet taste of dark chocolate or cocoa beans, which compliments nicely the peatiness of the Latakia and some sublime nutty taste from the Burley. There's also some tangy sweetness from the Virginias, but it doesn't really come out until the finish. It's a medium strength smoke that you can enjoy throughout the day. Despite the moisture of the flakes, it burns down rather dryly to some graying ash.

In the room note the smokiness of the Latakia is softened by the chocolate aroma, which makes it more pleasant for bystanders.

Pipe Used: Bentley Wooden Treasure Half Bent

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Bob's Chocolate Flake.

SamH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SamH (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Not my usual type of flake, but I decided to try some different samples. This is a rather pleasant tobacco benefitting from a slow relaxed smoke. Generally I go for a full bodied medium strong tobacco such as Full Virginia Flake for example. Essentially I like a fairly 'thick' smoking wet-ish virginia with a bit of a kick to it. (I like St Bruno by the way.) In comparison this is milder, with an extremely pleasant aroma. The lighter and dryer tasting tobaccos seem at first almost 'watery' (Gold block being the prime example), thicker smoking less dry tobacco is more satisfying to me. This oddly reminded me faintly of when I used to smoke Squadron leader or Erinmore Balkan Mixture. The nicotine creeps up pleasantly however and that combined with it's aroma makes it a good lazy afternoon or maybe late morning smoke. I'm personally not a smoke and brandy type (one spoils the other - I'd rather smoke a good cigar or pipe Partagas or Kendal cream Flake for example with an espresso or mineral water (how pseud-ey) and THEN have a brandy or two- depending on the time of day). Do bear in mind I have only tried this once at 3am having got up early to attack the drawing board. It could well grow on me. Worth a try. Personally (I'm open to criticism on this one) I might blend it 50/50 with St Bruno or FVF. Update, whilst not unpleasant, and making for a nice room note, the slightly scented nature does linger a while, whilst no Condor, it does hang around a little, but I liked it so that isn't really a dig.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Corncob

Age When Smoked: Sraight from the sample bag.

Purchased From: Smoke King.

Similar Blends: Hmm, a slightly floral mixture, possibly a hint of something stronger lurking as an undercurrent. Hard to say..

The Latakia is light lending more of a woody note than smoke. The VaBur portion is slightly sweet and nutty. The chocolate topping is about mild to medium and always present. It's a pleasant and enjoyable smoke. Needs some drying time and I prefer it very dry. I seem to get more natural tobacco flavor that way.

Mild to medium in body and flavoring. Taste is medium. Burns very well when dry though it may take a few matches to get it going.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Mark Twain, Diplomat Apple

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This was tough to recommend or not. It was a very mild chocolate flake. Smokes well and was not hottible; however, I kept comparing it to Two Friend English Chocolate. When I compare these two, I can't even put SG's blend in the same category. To spare you the specifics, if you want a chocolate blend that has more Latakia and cocoa, don't even bother with this one...just go pick yourself up some Two Friends. Another plus of TFs, those around you wil be infinitely more happy with the room note.

Pipe Used: Ben Wades

meerschaum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaum (8)

Extraordinary Flake. I hated it straight out of the tin, but kept it in a glass jar for a few months and then tried it again. It has improved immeasurably. However, rubbing it out is not as easy as I may like neither is lighting it but it is manageable. And worth the effort. It is clear that SG used real quality tobacco as a basis for this aromatic flake, which is unlike many other aromatic pipe tobaccos on the market. I often stay away from aromatics because it appears as if the manufacturers intend to make bad tobacco sellable by adding a few spritzers of syrup.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Similar Blends: None.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

IMO one of the most interesting and tasty flakes I have ever smoked. Not sweet as a Snickers, so don't misunderstand the Chocolate on the label. This is something much more refined: leathery, musky, fragrant, naturally sweet, yet manly. Exceptionally cool smoke, no bite. Acceptable room note. I prefer to cut the flakes to cubes or rub them out. Else this stuff is very hard to get lit (and keep burning). Apart from that, taste-wise, excellent. Full score: 5 of 5!

Pipe Used: 3

Age When Smoked: 2

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Kendal Cream Flake.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this one. It perplexes me, but I like it.

I really like the way they use latakia in this one. As a condiment for sure, not as a main course. This would be a great blend for someone who thinks the don't like Latakia. It is really used differently here.

This one comes in thick greasy oily flakes. The tissue paper in the tin was stained and dripping. Yum Yum. The flakes were also covered in sugar crystals.

I don't detect any chocolate taste here, but the taste it does have I really like. Good stuff, and not your average flake with latakia. Give it a shot.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

FIrst off this is not a chocolate aromatic, so I did not review it as such. This is a Virginia and oriental flake with a bit of dark chocolate to add bittersweet undertones.

the flakes are very loose and inconsistent. Some are very thin and some are thicker and they are all a little ruffled along the ends. Very different than the thick and consistent flakes of the famed Full Virginia Flake, but also very easy to rub out.

The tin note on this tobacco is musty. the virginias are noticable behind the odd must, and the Latakia adds a slight smokiness to the must. The nutty hay like scent of burly is faintly detectable to the nose. No chocolate smell is detected

The flavor intensity differs dramatically depending on if you choose to rub out or fold and stuff. When rubbed out the flavor is more obvious and a lot harsher. It also has more of the musty flavor smelled in the tin note. The taste of the bitter sweet chocolate topping is also a lot more noticeable in the back ground of the flavor profile.

When folded and stuffed, the tobacco really shines. The virginias become way more noticeable and produce a delightful sweetness. The flavor overall becomes a lot more complex. The chocolate topping is way in the background and hardly noticeable until the end of the bowl. The latakia is also very sublte but still there. Oriental tobacco is noticeable just behind the virginias adding tang and spice to the mix.

Sweet virginia/oriental tobacco flavor, with smoky musty oak like undertones, and an occasional taste of bittersweet dark chocolate. There is a slight tanginess to the flavor that vanishes in the aftertaste

In my opinion Chocolate flake is best enjoyed folded and stuffed. It is like night and day. The flavor grows and becomes more intense down the bowl without the harshness experienced if rubbed out. Also, as opposed to other flakes, I have a very easy time keeping this lit while folded and stuffed, it burns very nicely.

had I not tried stuffing this tobacco, it would have gotten a good 2.5 stars, because the flavor differs so drastically, a solid 3 and 3.5 if I could!

Definitely worth a try!

PuffPuffKeep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffKeep (8)
Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

...More like chocolate fake. I'd rather spend my money on something else. I was looking for a really good chocolate tobacco. After the first bowl that went right out the window. It's not sweet and it hardly tastes like chocolate. It's not delicious in that way.

I love English blends, so I tried to forget about the adding of dark chocolate and just pack bowls and smoke it. Still sucks. I got bored with it. Smoked it just to get rid of it, because I feel like I paid too much for it.

puff puff pass...

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

The lakeland/kendal flakes produced by companies like samuel gawith and gawith/hoggarth are always interesting and frequently brilliant. sometimes, they fit into the 'acquired' taste category.. and that is where this one falls for me.. the combination of cocoa, virginia, burley, and latakia may just not be my thing. the quality of the tobacco is excellent, as one would expect, the virginia base is great, the latakia has a nice salty character, and the burley is even pleasantly in the background.. and although drying this one out works wonders to improve it, i just don't really find myself wanting to smoke this one very often. a fair rating would probably be a three.. but for me and my lack of interest i will go 2

SmokingMySav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingMySav (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is regular in my rotation, but I gave it only 3 stars since it's kinda in the middle - neither a classic aro, nor an unscented blend, so I don't see how it would be highly recommended to anyone. Still, I do recommend people try this one to see if they like it.

It's by no means a classic aro - there is no sweetness at all to this blend (not really chocolate), on the contrary, the added cocoa makes it a bit on the bitter side.

I've found that for the best taste and smoke-ability, one should rub it out and let it air out for about 40-50 minutes. Smoking it right out of the tin or with just a bit of airing won't do. Don't over-dry it either, though.

Word of caution: The latest batch of Chocolate Flake tins I ordered, the tobacco came very fresh, very unlike S.Gawith. It would need at least a couple of years of aging.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Nice hints of dark chocolate/cacao make this a nice flavored tabacco for those who dislike overly-sweet aros. While I cannot detect any Latakia, I'm sure it's providing some of the structure to the full taste.

edit: considering the number of positive comments I've gotten, I've upgraded the room note to 'very pleasant' -- of course, it might be in relation to what people feel about other tobaccos I've smoked around them!

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

In a head-to-head smoke-off, SG's Chocolate Flake easily beats Bob's Chocolate Flake from the cross town competition. There is enough Virginia to give this flake substance. The Latakia is undetectable. And the flavoring is so mild, it is easy to forget that this is a light-aromatic.

It comes wet in the tin and needs a long period of drying to make it smokeable. Closer to chocolate than the competition, the flavoring is more reminiscent of Kendall Cream Flake.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not usually being a fan of favorite tobacco, but liking other Gawith offerings like Full Virginia Flake, I decided to give it a try.

As usual with this brand, the moisture content is excessive: a fresh tin contains rubbery and wet flakes which are almost impossible to get lit (and when they do, taste is watery). A couple of days of airing and drying are heavily recommended!

Flavoring is quite light: the tin aroma is only slightly enriched by vanilla and cocoa, but the dominant smell is of good tobacco, especially dark virginias and burley. At the test of fire, the flavoring is almost nonexistant: only when sipping very slowly, you get a faint creamy cocoa taste.

It's not a bad tobacco, but it's quite light. I wish its taste were richer. I have tried it folded or fully rubbed out, and I would suggest that rubbing it out too much can make it smoke too fast and hot, and with even less taste. Personally, I find this flake rather unremarkable, although absolutely pleasant.

I don't think I will get another tin, it's more of a once in a while curiosity than a really satisfying smoke.

If you enjoy light flakes with a very moderate amount of sweet flavoring, by all means give it a try, though. Better than the more soapy/flavored Gawith & Hoggarth equivalent flake, anyway.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe I was expecting too much of this blend when reading all the praises below me here. I just could not really taste anything that was very good to me. I see, as with other SG blends I have tried that the tobacco used is of the highest order. This one is just not for me. I recommend that this is worth the try when it is available. It is just not a blend that does anything for me. YMMV.

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Objective: Very wet flakes. Flakes not uniform in size, results in uneven burn. Difficult, but not impossible to break up. Hard to light and stay lit even after drying very well. Only a slight to moderate amount of smoke produced. Hard to find online and at local B&Ms. Can be quite expensive.

Subjective: I like the flavor very much, but considering it is such a pain to keep lit and does not produce a great amount of smoke, I will pass on this flake.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (47)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Can't help thinking I am going to damn this tobacco with faint praise, but I really did find it a little underwhelming.

This is one of SG's flakes that has a smidgeon of Latakia, but not really enough to be considered 'The Full English'. The other one is Navy Flake, which is topped with rum rather than cocoa. That one has no Burley component and more Latakia (to my tastebuds); I like it much better than this.

Upon lighting there is a distinct cocoa flavouring, but I didn't find it all that wonderful, and once it fades you are left with...not a lot.

This was always a bit of an experiment for me. Nowadays I prefer stronger baccy, so a blend that doesn't have a pretty healthy dose of Vit N has to be something really special to get me excited. This one doesn't do it, although I will still give the GH&Co Bob's Chocolate Flake a try before I give up on this style of baccy altogether.

As with all SG blends, the actual quality of the tobacco is top notch, but I won't buy it again. I can see that it could be a good choice for someone who likes cocoa and hasn't become accustomed to the heartier blends out there, so it gets two stars.

Vladlon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vladlon (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you want to do something and smoke simultaneously - this is your tobacco - good cool burning,do not need special treatment or attention. It's a just MILD smoking in all respects of the process. One star less for the mediocrity

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This should be re-labeled as Cocoa Flake, but that would sound silly, wouldn't it? There is a big difference between cocoa and chocolate. This is plain as day cocoa. Latakia is hiding somewhere in the back ground, but it is done just right. I cannot believe cocoa and Latakia would pair very well in this flake. Best way I have found to smoke this terrific flake: Fold in half lengthwise, then fold in half the other way. Load into the bowl, then top with a wee bit of broken flake out of the tin. Light and enjoy! Truly a terrific chocolate, I mean cocoa tobacco. A must try.

Would pair well with a light roast coffee, black.

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a high quality VA blend, with a hint of cocoa, both in the tin aroma and when smoked. The flakes are somewhat moist when first opened, but a little time in the open air will be most helpful.

As previously stated, the chocolate flavor is subtle, certainly not in-your-face as some aromatics can be. It's apparent that the leaf used to produce this blend is first-rate, as noted in the leathery feel of the flakes, as well as the smooth, rich smoke. I have begun to pack using a fold/roll/twist action, sort of a hybrid MacBaren method; it seems to work pretty well for the larger Hackert Billiard I've now dedicated to this tobacco.

I get plenty of favorable responses on the room note when I smoke this, even when I'm smoking it at my local tavern on pool night! It's now solidly in my rotation.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe I expected to much, but there was not that fine cocoa taste in this blend, that I like. There was just a hint of good bitter cocoa. So, 1 off. Although I like my tobaccos with a good moisture level, this one was a bit too much. The stripes a little bit too thick to light it up easily, as I only fold my stripes. 1 off This is not a bad tobacco at all, but in coparison to Bob´s#2 there is a difference, that has to be taken into account. Room note is okay, smoking qualities of the leaf is good as far as you found the right method to fill your pipe. But to me there was no difference folding or rubbing it out, it didn´t turn out to make it in my rotation, although I bought some tins, to store them in case I don´t get bob´s- This is no aro at all, so take it as a quick change of pace during the hot days of summer, because there is a low nicotine contet and the smoke is very mild even for neighbours and wives.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A flake cut from a cake of dark tobacco seasoned with latakia and cocoa powder. Sound interesting? It's not.

But it's not exactly bad either.

It is very smooth and I like the subtle wet soil of the latakia and the delicate dryness of the dark cocoa (not chocolate) but there's very little else on offer. The core tobacco flavour is notably unremarkable. Oxymorons aside, the taste available here is not bad, it's good infact, but it is a bit one sided and monochromatic.

The flakes in my tin were carelessly piled, partly broken with raggy edges and of vastly differing thickness which I didn't mind at all. I mention it purely as I am used to seeing flakes presented very neatly when tinned.

As others have mentioned, this flake is leathery; not just in aroma but in feel. Even with considerable drying time it is difficult to rub these out fully. It also produces a lot of moisture and is impossible to avoid relighting it every couple of minutes.

I really liked the idea behind it and, I guess, overall I liked the taste of this tobacco. I just thought that, given a bit of fruitines from the virginias and maybe some interesting orientals it could have worked so much better.

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

My second Samuel Gawith flake tobacco after Full Virginia Flake. Flakes look ebony and leathery with a small amount of sugar crystals due to natural fermentation. The smell is leathery and 'dusty' in a positive sense.

This tobacco had to grow on me, at first I could't keep it burning nicely when folding the flakes. The taste was very 'leathery' at first too.

After giveing the tin some air, and somking it a few times outside I started to like the taste better. There is indeed a faint hint of bitter chocolate powdering. The Latakia is noticeable but the Burley dominates the blend in my opinion.

Not on top of my list but defenitely a nice variation.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This pretty unique Lakeland mixture is an American-English of sorts, with high quality stoved Virginias as the main component, a mixed taste of Latakia and chocolate backing them up, and burley quite in the background.

The smell from the tin is one of the best I've ever tasted, and that doesn't change when the smoke hit the taste buds. If you enjoy the tipical floral taste of Lakelands tobaccos, Latakia and chocolate, then you really need to try this one.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (36)

Upon first opening, the tin aroma reminded me of a dental office. Like leather soaked in novocain.

I get the best satisfaction out of this tobacco by rubbing out the flakes, letting them air dry for four hours or so, and plugging a small bowl suited for flake tobacco. Similar to the method described in the Mac Baren web site for smoking flake tobacco.

When smoked in this fasion, it is a smooth burning tasty tobacco with some tang to it. It comes off a little bitter at first but the palette adjusts. As others noted, there is a hint of chocolate. The after taste is very pleasant and lingers for hours.

I doubt this will be a go to tobacco for me but it is definitely a keeper. Something to relax with on a cool fall night with a good book.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)

The chocolate is very subtle. You can smell hints of it in the tin. Latakia is very faint.

None the less the flakes were big and dark and rubbed out well. Have to let it dry out a bit before packing otherwise it clumps up. I packed my pipe loosely and it lit up fine. It smokes smooth and cool and every so often you get a chocolate hit. No bite at all.

I enjoy this blend with a galss of Drambuie on ice. It really accents the tobacco's flavors.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Chocolate Flake is the only SG's I have left unreviewed, because I always felt uninspired to do.

Seems to me that the Burley plays the main role; Latakia and chocolate are applied in very small quantities. It's the whole blend that doesn't inspire me anything and, like the brothers Balkan Flake and Sam's Flake, is dull and flat.

The combination of the elements in CF gives a faintly sweet & salty (even ashy...) smoke which doesn't really mean a thing to me.

As Hagen says just before me, nothing to complain about the leaves, it's just the boring combination.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Strong

I'm an aromatic man so bear that in mind but this too is an aromatic in a sense. I enjoy flake tobacco it's the rubbing it out and the build up to the smoke that I occasionally enjoy. The blend itself reminds me of Frog Morton which I like in its own right. Chocolate? I can't detect that in the least and that's what I want in a product that states it so boldly in its name. If a product is going to say chocolate or Cherry it should first and foremost be evident to anyone who walks into the room. For me as the smoker I want the flavor too. Aromatics are notorious for their gunkiness and this burns perfectly and leaves behind a pleasant pile of ash that ole Sherlock himself would find welcoming to investigate. I've given the mix three stars because it deserves it overall but it's not what I expected.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

Someone said it below...Stonehaven with a little latakia and more chocolate. Bob's CF is different from this one, not that it has more chocolate. BCF smokes cooler and has that Lakeland District flavor, soap if you will. I enjoy them both, and I highly recommend them both.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing Chocolate Flake to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)

Hmmm?. When I first tried Gawith and Hoggarth?'s Bob?'s Chocolate Flake, I didn'?t much care for it. Too large a Lakeland signature made me feel like I was licking chocolate sauce from my lady'?s perfumed hoohaw. I had the opposite reaction to SG'?s Chocolate Flake. I liked it immediately.

I'?m sure you can tell where this is going.

A few months later and I'?ve re-ordered BCF and I?'m struggling to finish this little number. The two flakes have a lot in common. They?'re both based on brown Virginia (though Sam's claims Latakia), both are fairly generous of tobacco flavor and nicotine, both are delightfully smoky, and both are pretty subtle as far as aroma is concerned. If I?'d never experienced BCF, I would probably make this flake an occasional houseguest. Where I think BCF bests Sam's flake (at least for me) is in the level of complexity, the layering of flavor. It?'s got more to say, I suppose.

But at least one other reviewer here had precisely the opposite reaction. (I though you should know.)

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Calling this blend "Chocolate Flake" might be a little deceptive. Although the tin description implies some sort of chocolate flavoring, I did'nt detect it. That being said, this is a good Virginia/Latakia flake that does produce a sort of bitter chocolate nuance similar to some premium cigars. This is a fairly sweet blend as can be seen by the flakes themselves which seem to be secreting sugars to the surface. Latakia smokers might find this flake a little weak. Aromatic smokers might feel a little decieved, but all in all it is a good smoke.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I aged this tin for a year and a half before trying it again. Dried it out and stored it away. Any chocolate top note was now gone. Latakia was front and center on the nose in the tin. Rubbed out and in a meerschaum I found this a wonderfully complex flake. Full, but not a Latakia dump. The interplay between the Virginia and the Latakia was nice and kept me coming back for more. Slow burning, needing some relighting, perhaps because I left it chunky. Not an all day smoke for me, but a nice finish after a steak dinner with red wine.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Samuel Gawiths Tobacco's are among my absolute faves, so I was hoping for my usual Yee-Haa reaction to Sam's Blends, but this one leaves me going Huh! The tin scent is weird. Others have stated that they taste the Latakia, but I can barely taste it, and no matter how many bowls of this stuff I smoke, The Chocolate taste is almost non-existant. I'm gonna smoke this whole tin, and hope by some miracle of fate, that it will live up to some of the other reviewers remarks. My go-to tobaccos are Squadron Leader and Navy Flake by Samuel Gawith, but to me this stuff just isn't of the same caliber.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tis pointless my typing out anything here as Blackie has summed up this tobacco EXACTLY as I see it. A fine tobacco and well worthy of its 3 stars.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Thats a nice flake with just a few latakia and just a few choco casing. I like it cause I am not really into English blends but I do also like to have it from time to time! If you are looking for a heavy choco aroma and strong latakia fix you are in the wrong place but if you prefer a solid virginia with surprises from time to time thats the one! Definitely it worths a try!

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice flake of Virginia with Latakia playing sometimes in the background and sometimes the forefront. I must admit that I don't sense any chocolate either in the taste or aroma. I like to sip on this while relaxing with a glass of single malt scotch. More natural than Bob's Chocolate Flake and with less assault to the senses than other latakia-laden blends. Truly relaxing.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

As a general rule I avoid any tobacco marked chocolate. Don't get me wrong I love chocolate but not in my tobacco. I seriously hesitated buying a tin of this. But, wow! This is a high grade virginia with a hint of cocoa, chocolate, special essence 104 or whatever. It is not uniformly sliced but is still pretty easy to work with and provides a very smooth smoke straight to the end. If you are a fan of virginias and looking for a change of pace, pick up a tin and give it a try!

As to the latakia which is eluded to in the description, no way! If there is latakia in this blend I'll eat my shorts. There is no tin aroma, burn or taste that indicates latakia. If there is latakia, only the folks at CSI could find it!

UPDATE 5-01-13: Did not make it to my regular list or even guest list but I still recommend others try it!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a mild, flavorful aromatic that actually tastes like chocolate. It doesn't smoke wet, it shouldn't burn your tongue and it burns easily. Nothing earth-shattering, but definitely worth trying out. I'm not a huge fan of aromatics, but I found nothing off-putting in this blend and would definitely recommend it.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)

When first opening the tin I was fascinated by the sugar crystals that had formed on the flakes and the dark chocolate aroma in the tin, I knew I was in for a treat. I bent two flakes into my pipe and lit up. The taste of dark chocolate was present from the beginning, but it was never overwhelming, always in the background. I was generally pleased with the smooth taste, but it does become tiring toward the end of the bowl.

Chocolate Flake is similiar to Perfection in it's basic smoking qualities but it lacks the creamy undertones that keep Perfection in my cabinet. I will finish the tin but I think that it will be some time before I purchase another.

RickPiatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RickPiatt (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit before starting that I'm not much of an aromatic smoker although before making the switch to VAs and Burleys I smoked aromatics exclusively for about 2-3 years. I believe I have some ground to stand on to review this blend.

When first opening the tin you will be greeted with the most outstanding smell of VAs, a little Latakia and that all important chocolate topping. The strongest smell is the VAs to my nose, not the other ingredients and the chocolate seems to be more of a coco smell rather than a chocolate - or if a chocolate, then a bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate at best. I was so mesmerized with this smell and the look of the flakes that I dove right into my first bowl. Now, I must note that the tobacco is a bit on the wet side in the tin so you need to give it a little drying time before lighting up.

Methods of smoking tried: My first bowl was the roll and stuff method of loading. My second bowl was about 70% rubbed out. My third bowl was fully rubbed out. Roll and Stuff gives the most intense flavor. As of this writing, I've just about finished the tin - don't know how many bowls it's been.

Pipes I've tried this in: A Group 3 Meer, a group 3ish Stanwell HCA II with short stem, a group 3ish Stanwell paneled horn, a group 4 Aldo Velani, a straight paneled Nording billiard, a Gourd Calabash. So, I've kind of run the gamut on pipe sizes and styles as well.

Here's what I find ... this tobacco is a disappointment. I hate writing that even now because it smells so wonderful in the tin that I almost can't believe it just wouldn't be a winner. But, sadly, it just doesn't cut it for me. I will say however that its substantially better than GH's Bob's Chocolate Flake for sure.

The best I can tell, smoking this tobacco is nothing more than a way to make steamy clouds of smoke leaving grey dottle in the bowl when done. That's a sad review, but it's the best I have to offer. When smoking the tobacco I always thought the VA's were far to mild, the Latakia never came to center stage and the chocolate never really made much of an appearance either. It was just bland, bland, bland. At times, I did notice a slight whiff of the chocolate / coco topping as it interacted with the latakia in the 2nd hand smoke but it did little for me. The worst part was the morning after taste if you smoke this before going to bed ... ugh.

So, a long review for me but I didn't want to post a negative review without at least showing that I did really give this tobacco it's fair day in court. And, unfortunately, it will never be in my bowls again as soon as I finish off this tin. (no, it's not good, I'm just cheap and don't want to throw it away) rp.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (116)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is actually a pretty strong tobacco.I'd say it's about as strong as GH Rum Flake overall, but with less aromatic elements and less sweetness.

There is the suggestion of chocolate which never really burns off yet never really makes itself present. The latakia is a little more recognizable. There is no soapy or floral taste at all that I can pick up.

For me, as the bowl progresses the latakia becomes a bit more pronounced, in the sidestream smoke or nose, and the richness of the VA builds with the slightest hint of bittersweet choclolate. It becomes dense on the palate with a lot of body, a little like Stonehaven in this regard.

Somehow, all of this sounds more interesting on paper than it is in actual smoking. Hence my guarded recommendation.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another fine surprise!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Flakes that are mostly brown with streaks of both golden and dark leaf. Smells of hay and baker's chocolate.

Packing and Lighting: I rub the flakes lightly and stuff. The flakes are a little moist, but light up well anyway, 3-4 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Nice rich VA flavor with the chocolate mostly for support.

Mid-Bowl: Nice interplay between the leaf and the topping. The latakia is noticed only in the body of the smoke. This is not a sweet blend even though it has a chocolate topping.

Bottom of Bowl: This builds up a fair amouunt of strength. This is no beginner's aromatic, but a manly rich blend for the accomplished piper. Burns to a very light fluffy grey ash that practically floats away when dumping. Bottom of bowl is dry too.

Overall: This is a fine change of pace smoke for me. The ingredients are top notch and the blend is rich in strength and flavor. The chocolate topping is of the unsweetened type, is layered in discretely, and adds a rich body to the flavor and as a side benefit, leaves a nice room note.Well done Samuel Gawith!

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (29)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The chocolate flake is a very good tobacco. In the tin the flakes very nice, with a great aroma,but not chocolate aroma. The tobacco is easy to pack in the pipe and is easy burning. Provides a cool smoking, the latakia is does not shows up during all the time. At the begins the tobacco can be a litle strong, after a few minuts teh nicotine decreases. Is a tobacco perfect for the aromatic's lovers who want to start tryng the english blends. If you in the past have a "bad trip (or experience)" with the latakia, this tobacco will help to forget it.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)

Similar formula -- stoved pressed virginias and less than 10% latakia -- as SG's Navy Flake. Nice typical SG strips of tobacco, easy to rub out. I break it up some.

In the tin I see brown and black. Smells just barely of latakia and chocolate. After lighted, it burns very well to the bottom.

I'm told it doesn't smell like chocolate while smoking but ashy. However, when I re-enter a room I detect a slight chocolate scent.

I find the latakia is just background except at the very end. It's hardly detectable due to the added scent; the scenting makes the blend taste earthy but sweeter than a brown flake alone. In fact, I sense a hint of cocoa that lasts throught the smoke. But it's light and you would not likley guess it if you weren't told about it. The latakia adds body to the blend.

I don't recommend putting the lit pipe down for a while (DGT), as the chocolate note fades in favor of a dull virginia muted by too little latakia. I don't think an aromatic smoker will consider this enought flavor added, but don't let the chocolate scent put you off. It's light and complements the virginia, almost like a brown flake.

It is similar to Rob's Chocolate flake, but no burley here, and in my opinion the chocolate stays longer with SG's blend. Not quite as round as Patriot Flake, but smooth enough in my view. Not as chocolatety as G&H's Louisiana Flake, which is sharper due to the brighter virginias and perique used.

All and all, a cool, flavorful, reasonable dry, steady burning, slightly scented Lakeland flake worthy of a small bowl now and again. Recommended to brown flake and slightly scented virginia flake lovers. I liked the chocolate mild note's companionship throughout.