This blend is at the mild end of the taste spectrum in the Mac Baren Mixture Line. Mixture Modern is a touch sweeter than Mixture Scottish Blend, but distinguishes itself with a more complex flavor, yet similar room note, while still retaining the special Mixture flavor.

Notes: a.k.a. "Danish Mixture". Introduced in 2000.

Previously sold as Mixture Mild. Name change due to EU laws that words like "Light" and "Mild" cannot be used on tobacco products anymore.

BrandMac Baren
FlavoringOther / Misc, Sweet / Sugar
CutMixture
Strength
Taste

There's a natural sweetness from the Virginias that comes through even with the topping and the cavendishes vying for attention. I get some honey, oats and nutty notes, the latter coming from the burleys. The gold cavendish provides some slight citrus while the black cavendish adds a mild vanilla flavor that doesn't dominate. It's a mild aromatic, very smooth and creamy. Light on the nicotine, it burns well with no bite, no dottle and makes a very pleasant all day smoke that won't bore you. Nice after taste and room note, too.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Not bad at all. I'm currently smoking this as I am writing this review. Tastes great, burns well, and stays lit, plus makes me happy! I actually enjoy this more than Davidoff's danish mixture. That part surprised me. You get a good amount of tobacco for what you pay. Definitely recommend it!

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (16)

This is what a true Danish blend should be. Lightly sweet tasting, with a sweet old school aroma, and tobacco taste plus some nicotine to boot. I love this ! Its Scottish blend with a little more sweetness basically. Its full of flavor and very pleasant on the nose of all. Folks will say( That pipe smells good!) when u smoke this. This is the closest thing to the old Skandinavik aromatic in the blue tin that is discontinued. I love these types of Danish ! This is what sailors of old and merchant marines put in their pipes, blends like this and Plumcake ! It sweetens and breaks in a briar nicely too ! Anyone wanting to start pipe smoking or someone who wants a real aromatic in their pipe that's not syrupy and hot smoking, this is what you should try. If there were more aromatics like this you wouldn't have to resort to English as laden with latakia! I personally don't want a heavy latakia laden tobacco all the time. In fact, an everyday, all day main tobacco should be like this or Scottish blend too. Imho, Mixtue, Mixture Modern, and Plumcake are the best tobacco Mac Baren has. You can't go wrong with any of those 3 ! Mixture Modern has that aroma of your grandpops pipe. Sweet clean aroma without the goopy, cloying, high fructose corn sugar that makes you sickly disgusted. You English smoking folk would like this blend, give it a shot !

This reminds me a little of Wessex premier rich aroma ! The flavoring is cherry liquor and hickory nut extract but way lighter than Wessex. Also more strength. This is different than Scottish blend in flavor and kick. Its lighter and sweeter. A true classic Danish blend. I like this for a change up from Scottish mixture. This is a good tobacco for beginners looking to get into classic tobacco and away from the slop syrup bulk stuff.

Pipe Used: la rocca

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)

I began smoking Macbaren with their Seven Seas line, and always felt that the flavor fell short of the tin note (also true of the Black Ambrosia).

This blend was an exception to past experience and has rekindled my interest in the Macbaren line.

Very nice.

Update: I really like this and have re-ordered. Tin aroma, taste, room note, burn, etc. are all very good. Easy on the pipe as well, with no goop, and good burn / minimal dottle.

Added an extra star as this is now a regular.

Further note: I generally smoke filtered (9 MM) pipes - tried in a Butz-Choquin last evening; some bitterness crept up the stem toward the end of the bowl. Will probably limit to filtered pipe use.

Very Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I like MacBaren's blends a lot but for some reason I never tried this one. I bought some in an auction on PipeChat.info and I was very pleasantly surprised! This stuff is good, very good! If anyone claims that MacBaren's blends bites, they need to try this one, you can't make it bite. And it has a burst of flavor that I really like. It has the hay like flavor of a good VA with just a little top note. It has a lot of flavor but it smokes cool and dry. It is a mix of different colors in a rubbed out ribbon cut and runs from light khaki in color to a dark almost black. It comes at the perfect moisture content when opened and needs no drying out. It smokes all the way down the pipe without any moisture in the bottom of the pipe and leaves a grey ash with just a little dottle. It tastes good from the first puff and never gets too strong to the bottom of the bowl. The room note is very pleasant, is not overbearing at all and will not get complaints. Just ask my wife! This tobacco really surprised me, I have been smoking almost just this one since opening it. It is for sure one I am going to buy for my cellar in quantity and is already one of my go to blends. Very highly recommend this blend!

Mikepipesmokers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mikepipesmokers (6)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Mixture Modern tobacco is designed for new pipe smokers.Scottish mixture tobacco blend is my main for a very long .Mixture modern is air frutly aromatic tobacco.Cavendish tobacco is predominant in mixes smokes smooth shallow and tasteless, the Cavendish offers a slight burning sensation dirty mouth after smoking ......Probably the most aromatic tobacco sweet, simple and innovative.3stars for its softness.Recommended ........For young and new pipe smokers.

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I find Mixture Modern closest to Original Choice than to standard Mixture, but Original Choice, in my opinion, is a lot better: its casing and the overall aromatic element is much more exquisite, and also the leaf quality is superior. And, speaking of the aromatic element, Mixture Modern, although it's less cased and tastes a little more to straight tobacco than Original Choice, it's very floral and lacks the peach vanilla flavor of the latter. Mixture Modern could also be compared to Borkum Riff's Scandinavian Mixture, as they both may be classified as Danish light aromatics, but this last blend is a lot better. I think this may be a good blend for those getting started in the noble art of pipe smoking.

Dr Pipeflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr Pipeflake (8)

Good stuff! It took a couple bowls to get this one but now I love it. Sweet but not without body. Nice enough nic level. I think the key for me was drying it for a bit. Burned much better and bit far far less. I started with 15 min and settled on 30-45 minutes depending on the pipe(I like my baccy a bit dry). I recommend it.

Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is MB Scotish Mixture with a touch of vanilla, it is also much milder in nicotine and has no tongue bite however you puff.

if you like MB Scotish mixture but you cant handle the tongue bite, try this one.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is my hands down favorite from MacBaren. Nice room note, pleasant and very mild richness of taste. This is a classical pipe tobacco with all the things you like in aroma and flavor.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

McB Danish Mixture … Simply put; I flat don't like this blend. IMHO too much of some sort of an aromatic sweetener has been added to suit my taste. Many seem to love blends that cover up the tobacco taste with a vanilla/fruity casing, if that sounds good to you, this is your tobacco.

kalob cayton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kalob cayton (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

a very good blend the cavendish really balances out the burly and virgina taste is a slightly sweet tobacco taste and a that is enjoyable and wont bite you at all this is a really good blend at a value price

Zietho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zietho (4)

I love this tobacco. Mild, easy to smoke. My only complaint it finding it can be difficult where I live....

ciaran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ciaran (1)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I have gone back and forth on this blend and finally settled on it. This is by far my favorite blend.

The aroma in the tin is very pleasant but not too strong or over whelming. As will all Mac Baren blends, I start out packing it very loosely on the first fill and lightly tap it down. Then I repeat the process but tap it down a little more firmly each time (only a couple more times). Overall, pack it a little looser than normal and you should be fine.

MM lights very well and stays lit for a good while. Like most everyone, you will need to relight once in a while. If you just smoke it slowly (slower than normal), you shouldn't have to worry about gurgles or bite. When your done, MM leaves a nice ash with very little dottle at the bottom of the bowl.

For those who are looking for a good 'first tobacco', I don't think you can go wrong with Mac Baren's Mixture Modern.

Danotti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danotti (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

If you like MCBaren brand ,and couldnt find a large spetrum of Pipe tobacco this one is good ,not biting,easy light and last experience.Nothing special tough but enjoyed alot.Prefer as day smoke ,still dont replace the Original Choice as morning smoke. You will not regret if you try,tough will not gain anything special too .

FireTi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FireTi (5)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

10/4/2010: __This complex blend has such a small amount of Latakia in it that you can hardly tell it is there. The Latakia is used as a condiment which is the way I think Latakia should be used in a tobacco blend, unless you just really love having a pipe full of overpowering onion and garlic flavoring. __This tobacco will not get in your clothes to the point that other people will notice that you have been smoking. I chain smoked this blend for two hours in my car with the windows rolled up all the way from Macon to Savannah and when I got there I apologized for smelling like smoke, but the people there said they did not notice any smell! __The only reason I don't smoke this blend exclusively is that it does not have the crowd-pleaser aroma that I often times want to have eminating from my pipe when I'm around other people. It smells absolutely fabulous to me, but people who don't smoke are not going to love the aroma that is generated from this tobacco blend.

Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This was one of 4 MB tins given to me by a good friend and the last MB I will review since their tobacco is very similar to my mind and just gradients of nastiness. Though this did not bite as many MB blends do, it was quite flat, possessed a harsh unpleasant aroma and only a minimal amount of smoke though properly dried. It smelled cased in the tin but none of this vanilla like scent translated to the room note so far as I could tell.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

One of my money and time consuming experiences. Just because of my curiosity.

I couldn't finish even a bowl of this. A standard Danish mixture with lots of vanilia and fruity taste. Can be exceptional for a beginner and/or aromatic fan.

After many years, I have learnt to appreciate the original Mixture for its great balance and complexity, for its well-behaved character (if you pack it well and smoke slowly), for being always interesting and reliable. Sure, the Flake version is even better (cooler and easier to smoke), but the classic can't be forgotten.

In what does this "Modern" version differ? Well, the differences are not subtle. Already from opening the tin, you can see that they added a lot of black cavendish to the recipe of the original version. Not sticky or goopy cavendish, but still it's a cavendish dominated blend compared to the visual balance of the original. The tin smell is also different: I detect a heavier flavoring, especially oriented on vanilla-like sweet aromas. While Mixture has, again, a great balance in aroma (you can smell the Virginias, the Burley, a honeyed sweetness, a grassy freshness... and the result is very appetizing), the Modern version is much more dominated by the sweetness although you can partly detect some familiar notes if you kow the classic Mixture. Sometimes I also get a hint of that weird slightly fermented sweet smell that is so typical of Dunhill's Royal Yacht!

It tends to pack a bit too tight, so use a light hand. At the match, it burns well, regularly and effortlessly. Only in the final part of the bowl it tends to need more relights. Slightly hotter than classic Mixture, though.

The taste... well, it's hard for me to tell exactly what I like and what I don't. Initially it's very sweet, again dominated by honey and vanilla. Then some of the character of the original Mixture also shines through. It's a light smoke, but absolutely not flavorless. At times, I would be tempted to say it has slightly more flavor than Mixture... problem is that it's often a monochromatic flavor, and rather "empty", with no particular depth. None of the complexity and wonderful sweet/sour/smoky alternation of flavors found in classic Mixture. The high presence of Cavendish leads to a slightly dirty taste, that leaves an impression on the palate which is not exactly rough... but also somehow mouth-drying and throat-rasping. Again, somehow I feel something in common to Royal Yacht (although the strength is absolutely not comparable: this is light stuff, while RY is a nicotine demon). At times during the smoke, especially in the second half of the bowl, you get moments in which it tastes very bland and steamy, and then it recovers.

Overall it's a blend which isn't bad at all if you like light and sweet aromatics. It has more taste than many of them, but what puzzles me is the lack of elegance, balance and intrigue that the classic Mixture (which isn't particularly heavier) has to offer. And some if its taste, some of its black cavendish-induced character, tends to bore me on the long run. Pleasant, but not completely satisfactory: I often finish the bowl by still wanting something else to satisfy me, but certainly NOT another bowl of Mixture Modern. Although it wasn't bad while it lasted. Go figure...

Puf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puf (10)

Long story short : a very good tobacco for beginners, or as an all day smoke.

In the pouch: a light vanilla/ raisiny smell, very pleasant and not overpowering. The Virginia and Black Cavendish are a fairly coarse ribbon cut, with sprinkles of rubbed out Burley flake added. Moisture is similar to Original Choice, i.e. fairly moist but not overly so.

In the pipe: remembering MacBarens Scottish Blend Mixture I packed this one lightly which works fine. Lights easily, at first the seasoning is prevalent ( not in an unpleasant manner though), after a couple of minutes the Burley/ VA combination starts to come through and the taste gets darker and nuttier, but still on a mild and pleasant level. Smokes nice and dry, almost no tonguebite

All in all a very good attempt at an allround tobacco.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Being a lover of aromatics I must say that I absolutely enjoyed this blend. It is eveything an aromatic should be. I would have given it full marks but it does tend to burn on the hot side, but any pipe smoker worth his briar should know to pace him/herself. It is ideal to both seasoned and new pipers alike. I have actually dedicated one of my more expensive briars for this blend (because of the unusually huge bowl;)) Fill those bowls, sit back and enjoy, I absolutely recommend it.08/17/2007 This was one of my first blends I have smoked and since then have 'graduated'to other types of smokes with greater strengths as well as english blends. I will keep the origional recommendation because I feel that new smokers can surely benefit from this tabac instead of tabacs for more experienced smokers, this way newbies like myself will naturally graduate at their own pace in search of whatever it is they desire. I often still smoke it as the first pipe of the day and still enjoy it. It is what it is, light and easy to smoke, a new smoker can certainly do a lot worse, a great place to start.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)

Overall this was a nice experience. It is recommended under the following qualifiers:

The printed "1" on the front forewarns for the lightness. You choose this only if you wish to smoke something light. Otherwise do not bother.

You chose this if you knowingly wish to smoke an aromatic; although this does not give too much of a tongue bite.

It is quite likely that you will find better aromatics but at least this is a decent choice. Not much to write home about but you easily reach for it again.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I agree with Tantric, This is a nice Danish blend. It is bite free and tasty. If you smoke a lot of lighter mild blends you will probably enjoy this Tobacco, but if you prefer a blend with medium to full strength it will be much to mild. This is a all day smoke, and worth a try.

Mixture Modern is a nice, tasty blend, albeit in the bland side of things. Not overly sweet, nor goopy, this is a very Danish tobacco: it has a pleasant nose; it?s very mild and, surprisingly so for a Mac Baren, it?s almost bite free. There is a natural sweetness provided by the Virginias, and also by the black Cavendish. However, unlike other varieties of this processed leaf, Mac Baren is using a technique that provides a rich toasty undertone (similar to Larsen blends). This particular feature gives the tobacco greater depth of flavor than, say, the Captain Black or Middelton versions. It definitely is not as artificially sweet.

Personally, this is a Mac Baren I enjoy. I find the Burley very well applied, and if smoked slowly there is a very nice interplay of flavors: nutty, slightly sweet, and bitter. If you?ve been smoking strong Virginia/Perique or heady Latakia mixtures immediately before trying this one, Mixture Modern may seem very bland and almost tasteless. On the other hand, if you?ve been smoking Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Borkum Riff, this will taste very nice.

I would recommend this as a very good beginners? tobacco, or as an intriguing change of pace if looking for an aromatic smoke but with real tobacco flavor. The room aroma is very pleasant, and it has a subdued roasted nuts/raisin kind of flavor. Nice one.

Arun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arun (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

MM is a good mixture that doesn't disturb you and around you. It is milder than the original Mixture-Scottish Blend. Also, no bite on the tongue.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well this should be called mixture light. Thats what it is a watered down mixture. Not my kind of blend at all. Not a great burner, no great taste, strange overall. If you like mixture this may be your thing. I have found Mac Baren to be overall not my brand however if you like Mac Baren you may like this.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This tobacco is O.K., that's it just O.K. If tobacco flavor had a middle this would be it, I found it to be ultra mild in flavor, like many of the previous reviewers. Why bother smoking at all, if it's going to be this neutral blend.

robertshovel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robertshovel (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've never met a Mac Baren that I didn't like! This Mixture Mild is no exception. I has a fulfilling flavor and the smell is just right. This is my first review and I felt compelled to applaud this smoke.If I only had one tabacco to chose from this might be the one? When it comes to selecting the right tobacco and pipe, I believe it is one of the most exciting elements of smoking!Lord knows we don't all drive Chevys.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm sure this is in response to people who like the flavor profile of Scottish Blend but find it too hot and bity. Those Mac Baren virginias! The ingedients are a little different. The burley seems the same but more of it. The virginias are in a ribbon form and smoke much milder and the black cavendish is more plentiful but not the same as the original. The original black cav. made from dark fired leaf I think is superlative. But this kind is more straight forward, made from virginia leaf as the tin says. So, I don't like it as much and I think the original black cav. would make this blend much better. The flavor suprisingly is somewhat bland. The aroma is a little sweet, toasty. Not a whole lot of distinctive character, pleasant though.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Another flavorless blend in the "mixture" series. Flat, boring and like smoking air.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

"mild and flavorless brew"- Pipestud hit the nail on the head! This is perhaps the first negative review I have ever given a Macbaren baccy. But if the shoe fits!!! This blend was very mild and had an almost artificial tasting berry flavoring agent in it. This is still very smokeable tobacco. But then so is Captain Black White which is cheaper and tastes less plastic. Although I recieved my sample from the super kind Smokinokie, I imagine that in the end, the smoke doesn't justify the price.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)

I did not find this to be anything special and perhaps that is because I do not like the Mac Baren flavorings. I didnt finish the tin. Not great not bad. Mild all around, better offerings of this kind can be found from other brands I think.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)

This is a very pleasant in-between tobacco. It's mildly aromatic, mostly vanilla-ish, and tastes mildly of plain tobacco, mostly burley I think. If you are an aromatic smoker looking to move to non-aromatics, this is a pleasant smoke along the way. If you want something gently aromatic and not particularly challenging, this is a good smoke. This may sound like "damning with faint praise", but it's not. I smoke everything from sticky aromatics to strong English blends. I like to have a bowl of this once in a while when I'm not in the mood for a pungent sweet aromatic or a complex English or Va/Oriental blend. It's tasty and doesn't demand my attention too much.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

One of the best. A terrific first pipe. Mixture Mild is a tasty eye-opener which does not overwhelm the pipe, the room or your tongue yet is by no means timid. I smoke this daily and it never disappoints. Highly recommended for the new pipe-smoker as well as experienced smokers who are looking for a sublime smoke.

Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I totally agree with Tantric on this mild and flavorless brew. Similar in taste to Captain Black White, but with the flavor turned down a notch or two. Like the Captain, the leaf in this blend was stewed to the point where it wouldn't bite a fly.

I detected a vanilla/oat sort of taste. I think I would get the same effect if I loaded my pipe with Honey Nut Cheerios.

I couldn't finish the package.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I cannot really tell apart this one from Original Choice or from Golden Dice. Perhaps Mild Mixture has a more moderate casing and a slightly subtler structure, but the general feeling of these mixtures is they all are very similar.

Typical Danish, this blend comprises an amount of Golden Virginias, Burley and sweetened Black Cavendish, with a fruity/vanilla casing. Without being gooey or sticky, you do get the feeling of a rather moist mixture, with varying shades of light and dark brown, plus the shiny Black Cavendish. It sure is a mild blend, and processed in such a way that tongue bite is reduced to a minimum, but at a cost: were it not for the artificial flavour the tobacco underneath would barely be noticeable.

An agreeable, simple, aromatic tobacco, ideal for the beginner or perhaps as a polite smoke when in public.

Newsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newsman (9)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Ah, yes...:)

I love this tobacco. Probably my favorite Mac Baren so far - next to Navy flake.;-) Mixture Mild IS a mild and slightly sweet tobacco which does not bite your tongue. You can puff this stuff all day long, and not get tired of it.

It is easy to lite it, and it smokes great all the way. After first half of bowl, it became even more reach in taste. Love this stuff.