Dark flake. Very pleasant nutty/chocolate flavor.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique

3.1
thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah my favourite tobacco of all.

Comes in lovely dark broken flakes, a very chocolatety aroma coming from the pouch, with gorgeous tones of the figgyness of the perique and citrus of virginia.

rubbing out is easy as is packing, takes a bit of time to catch the flame but when it does its heavenly, lovely thick creamy smoke, tastes of chocolate and perique and virginias really shne through.

very little bite and never overheats, a slow smoker, brilliant to just kick back relax and contemplate.

An absolute joy to smoke and for me probably one of the best if not the best vaper around.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Here we have the VaPer for those who think they don't like VaPers. The perique was mildly tingly but not peppery or heavy. It added just a breath of additional flavor and it worked beautifully with the depth of the virginias. I didn't really taste the cocoa but it did add a mild sweetness to the mix that wasn't a sweet I associate with virginia tobacco. Whatever they did, it worked spectacularly!

Beautiful dark golden flake that came over-moist. I preferred this very, very dry - almost tinder. Doing so did add the faintest precept of a bite at first light but it backed off nicely after the first half-dozen puffs. The flavor was sweet but with a toasted bread essence. The perique was most noticeable when I exhaled through the nose and never tickled my throat. This blend was very gentlemanly but it had exceptional flavor. Typically I prefer my perique to be more present and have even commented on lighter fare with a certain touch of wistfulness. Not here. This blend simply works on all levels. My 2 oz sample was parlayed into a 500 gram purchase and this has made my regular rotation with a bullet!

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just near the end of an ounce of this one and I really feel like I've got my money's worth with this, properly been through the mill with it, but has it been worth it?

The packet aroma has something of both chocolate and cheap and not particularly pleasant bread, wasn't quite sure what to make of that one when I first opened it but I decided to get stuck in anyway, it wasn't overwhelmingly off-putting. Rubbing out, packing and lighting were immensely easy, especially given that it's a flake. My first couple of smokes where in a corncob legend and was particularly unimpressed by it, finding it rough and lacking in flavour. I then moved over to a briar I had sweetened with calvados after it had developed a bitter taste, once again I found it rough and bland. Now don't go thinking it was the pipe this time because I followed it up in that same briar with some Orlik Bull's Eye which proved rather palatable, so pipe salvaged if not the tobacco. Finally, I moved it onto another briar with a good cake on it. The first two or three smokes were only marginally better but on the fourth a hint of flavour managed to sneak in, something a little chocolately perhaps with a hint of fruit. After a few more smokes and nearing the bottom of the packet, I have started to warm to this one as the flavours have begun to strengthen, they seem to nicely dally between chocolate and a lemon like fruitiness which keeps it interesting. It's still a little rough but nothing a good drink to hand, say tea or water, won't solve.

So was it worth it? On the whole, yes. I am glad I stuck with it and have had a good journey sampling it. I think three stars is fair at this point in time but I do plan on investing in a couple of ounces sometime in the future to get to grips with it a little better.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (55)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I hate to go against all the positive reviews here but my experience has been quite different. The flavoring is way over the top. I have smoked Lakelands before and really enjoy them. This stuff however, does not taste of Perique or Tonquin to me. I can only describe it tasting like Johnson and Johnson Baby Power smells. Picture that in your pipe and you have it. This is one of the worst tasting blends I have came across.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

When I first smelled Louisiana Flake in the bag, I could smell the chocolate that others have noted. My first go with Louisiana Flake was that it burned a little hot, but it once got the right cadence, things settled down. I like to fully rub out LF rather than folding and stuffing it. LF starts out with a medium amount of flavor than moves to full. The flavor offered a floral taste and I was unable to detect any chocolate. As the smoke goes on, the floral disappears and I am left with a fruity and peppery spiciness from the Perique that isn’t overwhelming. LF builds in strength and by bowl’s end is a little stronger than I prefer. While not a top choice for me, I would recommend giving it a try.

Spinerazor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spinerazor (5)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This could be amazing tobacco but its been ruined with perfume!!! what ever the baby powder stink is its disgusting and i keep getting blends with it, every blend from this company has it!!!! i hate it. Perfume this awful has no place in a tobacco called Louisiana flake period.

Update: after rubbing and drying some of this out to basically dust then smoking it, the baby powder smell seems to be gone, there is a slight faint bit left but its almost not noticeable, now this is smokeable and quite enjoyable, now i get a nice perique flavor and no bite.... i wont change my rating tho because I shouldn't have to go to this extent to clean the perfume out of my tobacco that i don't think should be there in the first place, its called Louisiana perique flake not grandmas perfume nighty tobacco.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (51)
Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Bought this at local B&M, who are growing pipe tobacco part of biz. First non- tinned baccy, 7ish per oz. Long caked flake, nice complex colors, good texture, unsure of what moisture content should be as this was nearly last oz in large jar, moist enough...

Smelled of good powder cocoa, and Virginias. I got no other smells, no whiskey or anything else. Nearing end of oz, as it has dried out its taken on a very peppery taste. I reside in SE Louisiana, love Perique (and all things spicy, fwiw) and this was very spicy.

Orlik Golden Sliced is a go to in my rotation, and as I understand it to be a Danish Vaper, more mild. This ounce -however - would be akin to comparing ketchup to Tabasco. Also, don't know how the tonquin fits in, maybe it adds to the pepper? It makes my mouth somewhat....numb after!? It is very tasty, will try to get several ozs when I catch a fresh batch at the store, see if there's a difference. Won't likely make permanent rotation- of which a Vaper is always present, but if your up for some zip in your pipe, give it a try.

Edit: Having smoked several VaPers since this review, decided this was tasty enough to purchase it by the pound! I missed it that much :)

SouthBound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SouthBound (10)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I find myself reaching for this tobacco more than any other I smoke. The quality of the leaf is top notch, and the flavor is perfect. If you're a VaPer purist, you might be a little disappointed. Also, if you're not accustomed to Lakeland toppings, you might be put off when you first try it. They can be mildly "soapy" until you get used to them. Louisiana Flake is no exception. The Lake Sauce, like the Perique, is lightly applied but definitely noticeable. Taken as a whole and unique creation, this is a brilliantly crafted blend. Highly recommended.

This is one of my favorite GH flakes! The pouch scent is mainly of chocolate mixed with the usual raisin/fig smell associated with VaPers. I prefer to let the tan/brown flake dry out some as it arrives moist. I have smoked it folded and rubbed out and I find rubbed out brings out the most in LPF. As others have mentioned, the perique is added with somewhat of a light hand, but really helps to balance out the sweetness of the blend. I am fairly certain that the sweetness is a result of manual manipulation and not simply the result of the Virginia's. I do taste a light chocolate flavor and that along with the well blended tobaccos make for a wonderfully balanced blend. I don't pick up the florals to the extent that others have mentioned, but it could be because I smoke a lot of GH blends with far more floral taste. For those that like to cellar their blends, Louisiana Perique Flake should be a great candidate for long term storage.

Lovers of GH flakes and those looking for a different take on the typical VaPer, LPF should be on your “must try” list. Highly Recommended.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Too much cocoa for me. I can taste that soapy "lakeland" essence as well. I liked it, but would like it more if there were a little less of these two things. Some people like chocolate with hot peppers-the sweet and the heat supposedly complement each other. But Perique and chocolate? Perique's unique overtones are better enjoyed with unflavored Virginia, in my opinion. This said, I must admit I kind of like it-when the pipe starts to open up it has a nice rich taste I enjoyed immensely, and it did not overwhelm with heavy puffing. I'm just not cookoo for those cocoa puffs.

1-16-10 Revisited this tobacco after a long hiatus. I still get a sense of chocolate from it, but am no longer convinced that it has chocolate in it. I like this smoke better in the second half of the bowl; this time I let the pipe go out while I roamed Wal-Mart for a new tobacco-jar and some beer (new Samuel Adams Noble Pils-try it: it's the best I've ever had of their beers!), and the difference this made was quite palpable. Maybe I'll try that DGT thing. So I guess the jist is, I would keep this tobacco around if I had someone to smoke the first half of the bowl for me, or some kind of smoking machine. I have about three loads left, so this unusual flake still has three more chances to convince me. Even though I may seem wishy-washy about it, this is still at least three-star quality weed, and is obviously four-star for some.

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is not a va/per, it's an aromatic, and a nasty one at that. Smoke it in a corncob, boys, because you will NEVER get the smell out of your pipe.

Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

These are nicely prepared, predominantly dark flakes, that pack, light and smoke evenly. However, to my taste, the advertised 'nutty/chocolate flavor' is absent and replaced by the 'Lakeland soap' too common to G&H blends. Although less evident than in some of their other blends, it's still enough to spoil the enjoyment for me. Unless you enjoy these floral trips, skip this one.

Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Louisiana Flake ...... SUPERB ! Like many Gawith Hoggarth flakes the presentation is superb , as is the moisture level . Also in keeping with Gawith Hoggarth is that the rubbing of the flakes is incredibly non demanding . The un lit aroma is very chocolaty with a Citrus touch to it . It is amazingly simple to light up and gives a splendid even burn . The smoke cant be faulted , Nicotine level is about that of Mac Baren Navy Flake which is good for me and the actual thickness of the smoke is prodigious . Even if I draw harshly "tongue bite" remains redundant . I get a great prominent Virginia taste complimented by a gentle Whiskey note . It can be inhaled with ease if you choose too as well ! A lovely smoke !

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: Smoke King

GenericusernameYOB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GenericusernameYOB (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

Mine arrived quite moist, in a very dark velvety flake. Delicious cocoa drinking chocolate scent. Required an hour of drying before full rubbing out and packing. Upon packing, I was surprised at a green leaf or two skulking at the back. Extra drying revealed a Lakeland floral.

No problems with the light, and no real problems staying lit. No bite. The only problems henceforth were its lack of character. I know this review is at odds the the body of reviews before it, but if this is supposed to be an approximation of an American blend, then someone tell me why Lakeland floral is in evidence? Couple that with the fact that the chocolate notes in the tin were so muted when combusted, as to be outdone by the florals that I wonder why they were there to begin with.

I was recommended this as a replacement for Edgeworth RR, I couldn't make that comparison personally. I also got no nuttyness, more dry talcum powder. Not one that agrees with my preferred flavour profile.

EDIT: I tried this again with 5 months of age on my flakes, as though I didn't enjoy my first outing with this leaf, I thought I could have been judging it a little harshly. I wasn't; folded and stuffed this time, though the florals weren't evident, the talcum powder was all over the place - dry and dusty mouth feel, terrible taste.

Pipe Used: Astley's rusticated billiard

well tampered clavier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
well tampered clavier (9)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Willy wonker got his hands on this one. A good introduction to perique i'd say. It should be mentioned that this is certainly not simply va/perique. It's definitely cased and chocolate is the culprit. I think this is a well blended tobacco but it is not my cup of tea. each to their own and an interesting experiment for me. i'll keep it jared and will maybe come back to it one day.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

January 2006.

Before lighting,I removed just enough tobacco to fill my pipe and let it air-out on a sheet of paper for about 10 to 20 min's.

It lit with-out alot of fuss,and just a few tamp's along the way was all that it required.

Here's a real treat that doe's not blow you away with any tongue bite,but doe's have just the right amount of delicious flavour's of both the virginia and perique.

Delicious,but not overpowering at all,and is a great all day blend.

My top 4 Virginia-Perique's are,Escudo,Three Nun's,Mc's 2015 & Louisana Flake.

Highly recommended.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Not much of a VaPer here. More like a FloPer (Flowers and Perique) or maybe a PerPer (Perfume and Perique). The Lakeland scent just smothers the Virginias. It's enough to make you gag. Never again. Hey...the room note's great though.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Testing with my meer pipe.

This is my first VA/PER tobacco and I have to say if the other VA/PER blends I bought are half this good, then VA/PER has to be (so far) my favourite tobacco blends for pipe smoking.

Some hints of Bob's choc flake, however the perique gives it such a boost in taste and the good old vitamin N here is felt much more I dare say.

I can't feel bean or whiskey (maybe because I am drinking white wine while smoking), but I can definitely feel a very mild cocoa flavour, akin to bob's choc flake.

I will update if I feel anything different with my other briar pipes.

Definitely recommended!

---------

Update:

Seriously, anything tastes better in a briar pipe. I am not sure if it's because I have a small bowl meerschaum, but the briar really mellows and ages a tobacco. This is definitely my favourite so far...

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A handsome flake tobacco that is just a bit darker than Kendal flake. The flakes need a one at a time dry period to errase any tounge bite. After the drying time (hour or so)the smell of the flake is of fermenting hay. To really enjoy most G&H flakes I have to completely rub them out and I mean completely. At first light I sense the faint florals that smell and taste so light and wonderful. After the fire has caught, the perique comes in sending the taste deep. The perique seems like a cauldron of stewed dark fruits. The Virginias are softened by the perique and given bass notes. If there is chocolate here, I do not detect it. Another very fine offering by G&H.

Update; This is my choice of the best G&H Flake tobacco they produce! Absolutely amazing!

Medium Mild Full Pleasant

A good medium smoke, all things considered. The Lakelands are there for me throughout the bowl, but they aren't overwhelming at any point. I must say, I didn't get of the chocolate/nutty overtones, but they weren't missed. The Perique is v light. Not the easiest light, even after some drying, but it stays alight pretty well and the Va keeps up throughout.

Camp Freddie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camp Freddie (10)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Stout but surprisingly smooth good flavoured tobacco. The perique adds a good sprinkling of pepper, but it's nicely seated in the mix, (I found it a bit like a good curry). Not particularly sweet but a good bran/cereal taste, turned a little sour mid- bowl but mellowed towards the end. Rubbed and packed, it stayed well lit, and had moderate nicotine. Definitely one to revisit.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I think GH&Co have justifiably taken the number one slot as my favourite blender. I like the fact that they are from the UK and I like that they have history and tradition behind them. But most of all I like the quality of their unique tobaccos!

Louisiana Flake is not what I was expecting - it's better. My sample has quite a bit of soapiness. Perhaps it got an extra dose of whatever magic sauce the blender uses to create this effect, but that is no bad thing as far as I am concerned. The chocolate casing is subtley present throughout and the perique increases in prominence down the bowl until it seems to be matching the lakeland soap for dominance of the blend. This probably sounds like an awful mess. In fact, everything works in perfect harmony, creating a flavour that is certainly not typical VA/Per, but which is smooth, fullsome and very tasty (provided you like lakeland soap).

What is most surprising is the vitamin N content. For some reason this one seems to punch above its weight for me. Certainly strong enough to be an evening smoke and an indulgent treat if enjoyed during the day.

I have come to the tentative conclusion that I prefer most GH&Co flakes at least partially rubbed out, but this one seems to work just fine with a good old fold, twist n' stuff.

If you are a VA/Per fan who doesn't like Lakeland flavours then this isn't going to ring your bell, but if you are a devotee of GH&Co then this one deserves to be near the top of your 'to try' list.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My wife and I recently took a trip to northern England from the west Highlands of Scotland where we currently live. On this trip I picked up 6 15-gram samples of G&H tobaccos, 2 in Glasgow and 4 in Carlisle. These samples were enough to get me 5 or 6 bowls of each, enough for a rough review. I will smoke them in order of how much drying they need (they were all very wet for my preference). Luckily, this will also allow me to work my way up from to the nicotene powerhouses, because they were also the most moist.

Louisianna flake is mostly a light brown to yellow color, with dark, reddish brown to black streaks and clumps. When I first smelled the aroma in the tin, my first thought was: chocolate! That was by far the dominant aroma. After some drying, I smoked a few bowls. This has a medium nicotene content, just perfect in my book. The first few puffs give you a distinct lakeland floral taste and aroma, but this soon recedes leaving a nice sweet rounded and earthy flavor. I dried it out some more, and then the chocolate flavor came to the fore. This flavoring is never overbearing and compliments the tobaccos.

This is marginally better for my taste than the other G&H flakes I have tried so far. It has more flavor and a tad more nicotene than Best Brown #2, and a better flavor than Rum Flake. Nothing really outstanding, but a great anytime smoke that is easy to work with. Definitely worth a try.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)

The flakes come a little wet and heavy/thick. It needs drying and airing out for sure. As usual with G&H blends it starts a little heavy on the tonquin bean/floral essence/whatever. The Lakeland scent steadily begins receding to the background, but I always noticed that damned tonquin bean. I think I have a mild allergy with that stuff tonquin, although it's fairly tolerable here.

A sweet smoke, minus the usual peppery overtones associated with perique, or at least not much to make me sit up and pay attention. Even though the floral essence notches down a bit after the first few puffs, it was a while before you taste the virginia. Just wait for it. While smoking, I had trouble discerning the Acadian perique that was up front in the tin note. It eventually showed up, but remained more of an aftertaste and it certainly didn't get in the way of the virginia or the tonquin. But you can tell it's in there somewhere because of the depth of the smoke as the bowl burns its way down. Once the perique finally makes an appearance, it remains a muted presence, more so than in any VaPer I've tried before. The smoking experience here, however, does finally settle down to a tasty, flavorful and sweet one, once you get past the initial floral and tonquin onslaught.

Flake size is distinctive, larger and thicker than other flakes I've experienced, but fills the bowl reasonably well. I enjoyed that it was a very sweet smoke, in my Ardor Urano pencil-shanked poker. Overall, a fairly solid if offbeat smoke the first time around. The kind of blend that requires several smoking sessions for a definitive personal appraisal.

SmokeQuest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeQuest (9)

Good tobacco, it smokes cool with no bite and has a nice sweet Virginia taste. This tobacco I think is Bright CR flake with added perique, mild enough to be smoked all day and strong enough to be satisfying.

punkpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
punkpiper (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Good lord, my third tobacco and my first english blend. My first review too. The tobacco is nice, leathery but supple, very nice to work with out the pouch. I've only had a third of a bowl so far, since its breaking in my new peterson pipe on non aromatic english and american blends. my first brush with Perique too. The note in the pouch is raisiny, but with hints of bran flakes, as well as definite tobacco. Smokes cool, with no bite detected yet. Is this what I was missing with the aromatics? Definetly be buying more of this again. Just dont smoke it around the better half.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

This tobacco burns slow and cool. It tastes naturaly sweet and raison-like as you would expect from a Va/per. But there is something else in here too... something new that is not common for Va/pers. It is slightly minty and leathery... I suspect tonquin bean? This latter flavor is not extreme or overwhelming as I believe it is in Gawith, Hagarth & Co.'s Dark Flake. Rather it is lightly added as a compliment.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Good solid VaPer with a very slight 'Lakelands' flavour in the background.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

This is a VERY NICE flake with NO detractors. MELLOW is the key feature here. And though I enjoy this tobacco quite a bit, to my taste it is just slightly lacking in PERIQUE; I expect a tobacco named "Louisiana Flake" to exhibit a somewhat bolder and richer Perique character. That being said, this is a solid and honest blend. The bag aroma does exhibit the presence of a cocoa or chocolate element and I can smell it and taste it in the smoke, but the cocoa/chocolate is soft and subdued. And yes, I can detect the presence of the Lakeland herbals in the aroma and the flavor, but in this blend these herbal qualities are restrained providing only suggestions of additional flavor and depth. The body of the smoke is sufficiently rich to be satisfying and the taste is relatively homogenous displaying some subtle complexity. There is a "pepper or tabasco" quality that registers as a tingle in the mouth. This tobacco deserves a full 3-star rating and for a "bulk" tobacco, it is surprisingly good.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

Well,

my review is based in 50grms coming from a 500grms brand-new brick. I'm mid way to end those double length flakes, the rest will go sleeping in one of my small glass vases just to see if/how time will improve, supposed that LF needs ...

I'm just thinking why I haven't bought the whole brick; but it was a matter of choosing some U.S. blends (GLP, C&D) and those had my priority at the moment.

Preamble: I don't feel any chocolate/cocoa topping, no way indeed. This is just a VaPer of the best quality. Maybe something has changed during the time, if so it changed for the better. Medium in strength and body, very good combustion qualities, no need of drying time for me. It goes nice with DGT too. The combination deliveres a good volume of smoke with the biscuity/peppery flavour I like so much.

I would rate this 4* if only some more sparkles, neverthess this is a very solid smoke, no doubt that a whole brick will come with me as soon as I can put my hands on it.

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The flakes are about twice as long as the normal tinned variety and the minute I opened the packet I got a strong smell of chocolate/cocoa... very nice.

For me the first couple of puffs still bring through the chocolate flavouring which seems to disappear for a while but return within the last quarter of the bowl. It is a very relaxing after dinner smoke, thoroughly enjoyable.

Review based on freshly bought and not cellared.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)

An interesting flake with a mellow pouch aroma akin to Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate. Unlike many reviewers, that's probably where Louisiana Flake's association with cocoa ended for me, but I have to agree with Dr Dyson review (see below) in that there's something in the perique blend itself which lends itself to tonquin, albeit the barest lick.

It's a moist a flake as I've had from G&H, and although I have succeeded in smoking it fresh, it could probably benefit from a little air time. It smokes earthy and grassy, with a rather spicy, prickly, pepper finish, which one can automatically attribute to the perique. It's not the strongest of flakes and the Vit N seems to be pretty mild too.

Rather like Ennerdale Flake, it's not particularly exciting in the first few puffs, but it really kicks in gloriously in the mid bowl, where it's at it's most flavoursome, releasing some great biscuit taste, coupled with the more savoury, meatier aspect of the pepper. It's really quite a strange combination, but it works.

Calming, intoxicating, and wonderful taken through the nose; G&H are beginning to win me over.

hufflepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hufflepuff (8)

This is the unsung hero of Vapers. The flake rubs out nicely. and with a bit of drying, it lights and stays lit easily. A nice brown flake with a good touch of perique. It's not overpowering nor is it mild..it's just right. You get the lightest lakeland scent on first light which quickly yields to a mellow lightly sweet and spicey smoke. I don't get the chocolate flavor as others below have. To me this is an honest brown flake with just the right amuont of perique to spice things up but not so much as to make my nose tickle. 3.5 stars.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (111)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a nice Va/Per, produced from leaf of obviously high quality. It's one of the best of the G & H flakes, in my view.

So many people who have reviewed Louisiana Flake talk about a chocolate topping, but I have to say that I can't find it. There's a flavour of some kind, for sure, but it doesn't seem like chocolate or cocoa to me. I'd be more inclined to call it nutty, biscuity, malty or something along those lines, but it doesn't really lend itself to precise analogy. To some extent, the flavour is due, I think, to the Perique element itself; there is perhaps also an element of tonquin. G & H have something of a reputation for spoiling good leaf by overdoing the casing, but this certainly isn't the kind of floral 'soapy' Lakeland tobacco that so many reviewers dislike. It's a million miles away from Ennerdale Flake, thank God. Some people say that LF reminds them of the old Edgeworth Sliced.

Whatever it is, the flavouring of LF it isn't excessive. Far from it, in fact. Once the bowl is properly under way, the preponderant impression that it gives is of a natural tobacco that has been intelligently handled by the blender. The natural flavour comes through, and is enhanced rather than obscured or distorted by the topping. The flakes are thick and substantial and easy to deal with: best folded, with enough rubbed out at the top of the bowl to give you a good light. Thereafter, the burn is steady and the taste full and interesting: sweetish, but with a rounded, spicy Perique clearly making its contribution. DGT is rewarding also. The room note is quite pleasant. As always with VA flakes, it'll burn you if you take it too quickly, but I have to say that this is one of the coolest flakes I've ever smoked. Sipping will enhance the flavour, too.

This is a full-bodied, tasty, slow pipeful, with enough, but not too much, vitamin N. Recommended; a strong favourite of mine: nicest, perhaps, late at night by the fire, with a nightcap and a good book. Idyllic, in fact: this is what pipe smoking ought to be.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nowadays I am smoking these dark colored flakes bought a while ago bulk. They are moistened well so I preffered to dry enough each time before smoking.

Louisiana Flake packs and lights well. It offers a long lasting smoke, with the peppery flavor of the Perique. I like VA-Per blends a lot. Although somehow I looked after for much Virginia sweetness in this blend. It has a medium nicotine strength which suits my needs and I think it would be much better for me if I could have some more pure, sweet Virginia flavor in it instead of the very poor Lakeland-like flavor. I think, just because of this reason the smoke was one dimensional for my tastes. I don't think this tobacco is as nutty as described.

The Virginia-Perique fans must try this one. It may be one of their favorites for sure.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

About Louisiana Flake:

Once many aeons ago while ambling through the Mediterranean streets of the French Quarter in New Orleans I serendipitously chanced upon a dear friend I had not seen in many many years. We,of course spoke finally winding up at a sidewalk begniet(French doughnut) and coffe shop. It was nice.

Louisiana Perique Flake has somewhat the same interaction for me each time I smoke it. An unexpected meeting with a long unseen dear friend. I know this sounds a bit over the top but that's the feeling.

The strength of the blend is as near perfect as I believe is posible with the constituent tobaccos. Impeccable Virginia(no matter where they come from)and Louisiana Perique compliment one another----Dark roast Cajun coffee and fresh cream with just enough seweetner to marry up the two flavors. Like that! No use in asking for better.

Very good filling and burning qualites after a bit of judicious drying time.

Room note? Not really a concern for me with a very very indulgent wife and as far as other I personally don't worry about that.

Recommndation? I am ambivlent about this particular aspect as I do highly recommend it but don't encourage others to smoke it being rather selfish and a bit leary of the supply stratagies of most British blend houses. So try it but please don't get over-enthusiastic. Thanks.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (A Native Son of Louisiana)

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

This takes some getting used to and no mistake...and that's probably where some of the comments below originate; inexperience and rushing to judgement. It's a long way away from your average Vaper. Still everyone's taste is subjective.

This has, to me, the merest hint of chocolate; smoked gently it reveals creamy and fruity depths...thinking on it while puffing away, it's somewhat like the effect of stewed fruit and nice Devon custard, that sweetness and tartness so close together. It's a beautifully crafted and sophisticated virginia and perique mix. I'd go for G & H's solid, understated expertise in tobacco blending over most of the USA houses anyday, with the honourable exception of McClelland.

A fine, subtle and enjoyable tobacco worthy of its 4 stars :-)

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

The aroma of this blend is a bit odd as there is more than a hint of chocolate in there. There is also the Lakeland floral that I enjoy so much as well. As far as I can find, this is the only VaPer offering from the venerable Gawith and Hoggarth company. Could it be that we have a mix of something similar to Samuel Gawith?s St. James Flake mixed with G & H?s Bob?s Chocolate Flake? This possible combination has piqued my interest and so on to the review.

These flakes are large and take a bit to rub out. I got a pair of scissors and cut them down a bit before I started rubbing them. The moisture level seemed perfect when it was in flake form but once I cut it down it seemed a bit damp to me. So I set it out on a paper towel for about 30 minutes and it seemed ready to go.

After being cut down the flakes become a lot more pliable and this blend is fairly easy to stuff down in the bowl. The pipe I used had a medium-large size bowl. It might not be as easy trying to stuff these strands into a small bowl like on a churchwarden. It took to the lighter really fast and after one false light it was off and racing.

The initial flavors were easy to discern. Virginia, yep it?s in there. Perique, yet it?s in there too. Lakeland taste, yep it?s in there. But there is something on the outlying edges that was just whispering in there. After a few puffs I was able to identify it. Chocolate. Now because I had never run into this flavor combination I was excited and worried all at the same time. I was excited because the tastes coming together at this point were delicious but I was worried that if one started to dominate then the great taste would diminish.

After the halfway mark my worry began to slip away. They had nailed this blend. It was great all the way through. I highly recommend this blend. While it may not be your favorite, the addition of the chocolate to a VaPer blend is something interesting to behold. It also makes this blend hard to rank.

Lord Byron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Byron (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another excellent flake from G&H. I will admit that I stayed away from it for a long time because the thought of chocolate and Perique just didn?t seem quite right. But as others have mentioned it does work and quite well. I like smoking this in warmer months as it is not too heavy and the aroma reminds me somewhat of Grousemoor. Not that the two should be compared as far as taste but they both produce for me the same sense of relaxation that goes well with a warm climate.

In my experience this flake does not compare to Bob?s Chocolate regardless of other descriptions. BCF is one of my favorites and I am waiting on a pound of it right now (review to follow). I completely agree that they are on different ends of the spectrum with Bob?s being a darker tasting fuller bodied flake in conparison. I love the aroma of LA flake and the creaminess of the smoke once it settles in. And yes at times there is a mild nuttiness that evolves. I also detected a subtle floral aroma in the background that was, in my last batch somewhat subdued. I really enjoy the floral notes of Gawith flakes so more of this would have been even better for me. The Perique does its job nicely adding body and rarely if ever comes to the forefront. Mainly there is a straight forward brighter tasting Virginia that is semi sweet to sweet. And of course the presence of chocolate is there too in the right amount throughout the smoke making for an interestingly pleasant combination.

This could easily be an all day smoke for those so inclined (like me) and is a regular in my rotation. As with all of these types of flakes it takes time, a little solitude and a dedicated pipe or two to appreciate the quality of blending and the nuances they produce.

LA flake teeters on complex or better yet contemplative at times which most of the time I was not expecting. This one worked well for me in smaller bowls for some reason but it smoked well any clean pipe that I used. If you like English flakes in the Gawith tradition, this one is well worthy of your attention. I think this is one of G&H?s better flakes that no one is giving much attention to which makes my cellar quite happy.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mmm, a chocolate VaPer that actually works!

This is a nice well-balanced flake that skilfully manages to weave a slight cocoa note into a VaPer blend. And though it is a little on the mild side for my liking, it still manages to hit the spot and hold its flavour after smoking the strongest tobaccos.

If the mentions of Bob's Chocolate Flake may put you off, then don't worry. The two are at completely different ends of the scale to one another.

Well worth a try.

speckchaser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speckchaser (22)

Flakes are fast becoming my choice of smoke.This being a perfect example.Perique and choclate an odd combination but very tasty.Ive noticed a floral taste at first light as with Bob'sChoclate but it soon disappears.The perique and virginias act in harmony never outdoing each other,but strolling hand&hand together.The flavoring intertwines I believe making its self noticed in the background never jumping out and hiding the tobacco flavor.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

The more I smoke G&H flakes, the more I appreciate the remarkable subtlty they exhibit in their flavors. Most of the milder G&H blends don't have anything about them that really hits you in the face; no immediate 'wow' factor. However, they always remain in my regular rotation due to their quality and complexity.

Louisiana Flake is another one of those great, but subtle, offerings from the folks at Gawith & Hogarth. I expected it to be more like a standard va/per blend, but was very pleasantly surprised at how different it was from Escudo or Elizabethan. I don't think I would even classify this as a va/per blend, as it does not behave in the same manner.

Typical of G&H flakes, lighting is a bit ornerous. But once lit, the smoker is greeted with a pleasant tobacco flavor with, as is stated, hints of chocolate. The perique imparts more of a tartness than a tanginess, and really does more to round out the virginias than anything else. The expected lakeland floral taste which I have come to enjoy was quite lacking. I believe that, due to the blending process of this flake, the floral overtones have become the chocolatey undertones.

Halfway through the bowl the tobacco begins to take on a warm character. It doesn't heat up, it's just the sweetness barely peeking through to create a warm taste sensation. The perique tartness goes really well with this sensation, and gives an impression of an even drier smoke than what one is really experiencing. While the tobacco maintained these characteristics throughout the entire smoke, I wouldn't call it boring or one dimensional. Throughout the entire bowl there was a nice interplay of nutty and chocolately flavors dancing around in the background.

If you are already a fan of G&H offerings, this one will be a good fit in your regular rotation. For those of you who have been leary of trying the lakeland tobaccos, this would be a really good one to try.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

My overall experience was o.k. I guess when I see a flake that is predominantly Virginia and Perique, my mind tends to wonder back to the sixties and seventies when "Three Nuns," was "Three Nuns." This flake was a nice smoke, it is just that I found it average for this genre. Pleasant, smooth, good burning qualities. This is just not a flake to sit-back and "experience."

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Well, I have been an ecclectic smoker for a few years. No one blend has WOWed me enough to sit down and smoke it on a regular basis. Well, so long to that idea. I have smoke 1000 grams of this since I got my first taste of it in the summer of 2004. This has become my "go-to" blend. In fact, if I smoked nothing else, I could finally be content.

This blend is flavorful, has a room not that makes my sons happy, and delivers a bold spicy kick of perique with rich, deep, sweetness.

I have enjoyed Escudo for years, this is smoother and richer.

Some have talked about a similarity between this and Bob's Chocolate Flake - I don't see it. I like BCF, in fact, it is part of my rotation and makes up a good part of my cellar. This is something different entirely. Also, I have balked at many Lakeland blends which sport either the soapy or floral notes - I do not like them. This has neither.

This blend gets a full 5 out of 5 halos. Wonderful stuff.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a person who frequently smokes Virginia-Perique blends and enjoy many flakes including Gawith, Hoggarth products, I knew I would love this flake...Sorry not yet. Maybe my sample is too moist or young but I did not enjoy smoking this. I will update this review after the flake gives up most of the moisture and aroma that it contains now.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

As a big G&H fan, I received this generous sample with great anticipation. While I do enjoy VA/P blends (Elizibethan Mixture by Dunhill is the current favorite) my mindset was that G&H would "perfume" the mixture up somewhat and thus change the dynamic of the pair. In other words, I was expecting a "flower cascade" of flavor on top of a milder VA with a smidgen of perique.

This is NOT what I was expecting. If there is a flavoring agent in this tobacco it is entirely subtle. There may be a tad of chocolate or cocoa in this blend but that's about it.

Brownish and black in color, this flake arrived a whit on the moist side; No problem, I folded the flake up and cut it with scissors into an almost granulated cut. These days I find that this granulated cut smokes best for me.

After letting the tobacco air for a few minutes I loaded up my pipe and applied match; Wonderful! There is a creamy roundness to the VA's (a smidge of burley added?) and the perique is there but it's waaay in the background. Full flavor, quality tobacco which I totally expect from G&H.

What is this similar to? Nothing that I've tried in the line is similar to this. Louisiana Flake is more natural than the flakes that I so enjoy and the perique is applied with a subtle and masterful hand. You get the taste of the perique but without the "peppering" that (say) a blend like Elizibethan Mixture has.

At mid-bowl the blend hasn't changed much but has picked up a little steam, flavor and nicotine wise. While this isn't overpowering it IS full in flavor. And the perique keeps in the background yet I know it's there.

I'll buy a brick or two of this and smoke it this winter to see if my impression changes. My generous sample has been lovely. For those who like the fullness of G&H tobaccos then you'll like this one. The Perique adds a little zing to the blend without peppering your tongue. Quality and consistency is something that I always expect from Gawith and Hoggarth and this Louisiana Flake definitely continues in this tradition. Very nice and quite a surprise!

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I note that many of the reviewers of this blend compare Louisian Flake to Bob's Chocolate Flake. Admittedly, it has been a year or so since I smoked BCF, but I sure don't remember it tasting much like LF.

I found Louisiana Flake neatly tucked in a pouch as a sample with a recent tobacco order from one of my favorite etailers. The flake was much drier than most G&H tobaccos I have tried, and it rubbed out easily. It is not a very dark combination and the flavor was on the lighter side as well. A little of that "Lakeland perfume" was present, but not unpleasantly so.

Quite ordinary in comparison to many other G&H offerings I have tried. You will taste both the Virginia and the Perique, so if you gravitate toward that combination, you may appreciate this blend.

Update 4-09:

A friend recently gifted me some 10 year old Louisiana Flake. It was darker in color and richer in overall flavor (and, certainly more mellow), than the fresh batch I smoked. The Perique element was almost non-existant. The nicotine content seemed higher.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I should disclose that I have only smoked about ten bowls of Louisiana Flake. I'm a GH fan and a lover of VA/perique flakes, so it figures I would enjoy this blend, and I do. Of course, it's presented beautifully. Louisiana Flake comes in a brown and black rectangular plug that is sliced into thin flakes. It comes too moist for my tastes, so I allow it to dry quite a bit before smoking. I prefer to smoke the flakes as intact as possible.

The initial flavor is that of semi-sweet chocolate or cocoa. Initially I thought this was the natural tobacco flavor, but now I'm convinced it's a mild casing that is extremely well done. Perhaps this is the same casing used on Bob's Chocolate Flake. The initial flavor dissapates quickly and then just appears periodically during the smoke. The predominant flavor is slightly sweet and somewhat tart. It seems most like Bright CR Flake, but the perique really sets it apart. What strikes me is the smoothness of this blend, and I credit the perique and the casing. The strength and flavor is medium, so LF could be an all-day tobacco.

I am very impressed with this blend. It smokes great right out of the box after some drying, but I think it would improve with aging. I've already sealed 500g of Louisiana Flake in a Mason jar for long-term aging while I enjoy another 500g of the fresh stuff.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a G&H rendering that is similar to their Bob's chocolate flake but composed of different tobaccos. Namely instead of burley and brown virginias it uses brighter virginias and no burley. And it substitutes 6% perique for the latakia. This a somewhat lighter and tangier taste when compared to Bob's.

I do taste the chocolate but it is light in effect. More of a hint of cocoa. The flavor masks the perique for most of the bowl and only lets a little of the virginia tang through. You can taste some perique toward the end of the smoke but it keeps its character mostly in the background.

This flake needs very little rubbing in my opinion and burns quite steadily and on the dry side.

A little sharnpess sneaks through at times, and I am not sure if this is do to the fair amount of perique or the bright virginias. However, steady puffing keeps it cool enough for me.

I do like it as a substitute for Bob's. CAO's Patriot Flake is smoother but heavier in comparison (which too has a hint of chocolate but no perique). I think Louisiana Flake is better than G&H's first perique attempt with Mr. Pease a couple of years ago (Stonehedge flake, which I had a small sample of), which was blander. This new attempt has Louisiana character for sure.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Very similar to Bob's Chocolate Flake but with the addition of perique. It is probably identical to Tavern Tobacco's Rusty Hinge which is also made by G&H. It has good tobacco flavor with the distinctive flavor of Bob's Choc and the added zip of perique. It can nip if not thoroughly dried. I like to smoke all three back to back. It makes for an interesting evening. Well recommended! Paddy.

Steve P-H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve P-H (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

To my knowledge, this blend is Gawith and Hoggarth's first attempt to include Perique in a Virginia flake. Not surprisingly, they've done it to near-perfection.

I've been smoking it outdoors in a GBD apple and a small Saseini patent apple. I don't rub it out; just fold the flakes into the bowl. It burns slightly hot at first, and takes several relights. Once going well, however, it stays lit and cools down. About a third of the way down the bowl, the deep flavours kick in. I wouldn't describe the flavour as chocolately (see above); I don't detect any added flavouring or floral notes. I think "nutty" and "buttery" best describe the flavour. I can make out the Perique just slightly here, but it's more of a complement to the other flavours; it doesn't stand out on its own. It burns very cleanly to a fine, powdery ash.

I love both Virginia/Perique blends and the Lakeland flakes, and Louisiana Flake combines the best of both. I've added this blend to my regular rotation. Highly recommended!

================

Revisiting this review after smoking several more bowls in each pipe, to correct one statment I made. There seems to be a slight floral note after all. It's not at all unpleasant, and much more subdued than in many Lakeland flakes, but it is noticable.