A lavishly flavorful Balkan blend using the finest dark frangrant, cool-smoking Syrian Latakia, and seasoned with top-grade Louisiana Perique. Rich and mellow.

Notes: ​McClelland's Syrian Super Balkan is a smooth blend that is remarkably well harmonized. Superb Virginias and zesty Orientals are melded perfectly with the tang of Perique and fleshed out by the delicate flavor of true Syrian Latakia. The tobaccos work in concert to deliver a mellow, yet rich flavor.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeBalkan
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

2.5

The last and supposedly strongest of the McClellands Syrian latakia series, this is a mostly black ribbon with a rich tin aroma of the lat on top, a side of perique and Turkish and an underlying lightly sweet Virginia aroma. The latakia is the first scent to hit the nose but quickly subsides into a musty olfactory sensation that is quite exhilarating.

Fr Tom really nailed this one, although it appears I enjoyed it more overall. Testing different puffing cadences, a malty-like perique surfaced more when this blend was puffed more quickly, while the sweeter, lighter orientals took the main stage when sipped. The latakia melded perfectly in either case and the Virginias were always on top and lent their usual tanginess. The entire blend was creamy, with a smoky undertone. This is an excellent blend - different from the Syrian Full - just as good, but more complex while at the same time being more homogenous, more harmonious. Both will have a lofty spot in my cellar. McClellands is unequaled in its stash of Virginias but I'm beginning to think they are also the masters of Syrian latakia as well. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted some 8 yo Syrian Super Balkan, and I have never smoked it fresh. I have to say, this is a very pleasant smoke. The turkish and perique are the dominant tastes for me. The latakia has a slight herbal note. The Virginias are a great mix of bright and a slightly heavier sweet. It is a tasty combo.

If you are looking for a Balkan sledge hammer, this will disappoint. It is subtle and complex. Puffing brings out the perique. Sipping gives a dominant turkish/latakia note. The Virginias are always there. This is a nicely crafted smoke.

I am thinking I will have to buy a fresh tin now to see how it compares.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a really nice smoke. There is a fairly strong woody note with lesser notes of smoke and leather. A mild fruity note with ample sweetness and spice. More spicy than sweet. Straight from the tin it burns pretty well, but needs a re-light here and there. A little drying time improves that. A very nice blend that tends to grow on you.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Mark Twain, Patriot

I think a little age on this blend's Virginia component will improve my review. The flavor of the Syrian was nice, but the Virginia leaf was a little fresh and not typical of the McClelland's processing. I'm not sure how much Oriental is in the blend, but it was interwoven with care. The Perique is lightly detectable. Perhaps it will be a more mellow smoke once the Virginia leaf settles down and gets a little longer in the tooth.

initials SG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
initials SG (29)

What I was hoping for: a full Syrian Balkan with some extra perique zing.

What I got: McVinegary virginias and muddled weakness from everything else.

It's too bad that they were so stingy with the Syrian. Syrian is more subtle than Cyprian so I wasn't expecting a lat blast, and granted, it does play nice with the perique to me. Kind of an interesting mix of flavor that has characteristics of both the lat and the perique. But well underneath. The virginias dominate in this blend and they're just not that great. Age does not seem to have done much other than smooth them out and accentuate the ketchup taste, and to my tastes it just doesn't work so well here.

I did like the orientals and there is juust enough.

When I added a pinch of a different lat-heavy english (forget which) to it, it perked it right up - there is potential that just wasn't reached. Just not blended as well as it could be, and the tang of the virginias (I love virginias normally) kind of take away the greatness that could be.

Not a bad one by any means, but not excellent.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (23)

The one thing that sets this apart from other Balkans is the Syrian Latakia, while not overly done, I think it could be better. Syrian lat provided a different flavor and anyone who hasen't tried it should give it a go. This is not a strong Balkan that I would normally prefer, but that doesn't distract from a mild flavorful smoke. I was hoping for a more heavy hand with the Lat, and for that reason I cannot give it an outstanding rating. Worth a try if your new to Balkans.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I happened across this six year old tin at a local B&M a few weeks ago and thought I would give it a try. The tin contained loose ribbons in various shades of chocolate brown with a little black mixed in. The tin aroma was one of the often mentioned McClelland ketchup, but the few times I have experienced this smell personally have never bothered me. This tobacco was a little on the dry side, which suited me fine. An unlit sip tasted of the sweet Virginias in the blend.

On the charring light and the first few draws I mostly tasted the sweetness, and it remained dominate throughout the bowl. As the bowl progressed I also detected both fruity and peppery tones, and every so often a hint of chocolate. After smoking a few bowls of this in a row I could really feel the Perique at the back of my throat, and other than that this blend was very mild. It was not bad in briars and meers, but I preferred it best in a cob where the flavors just seemed bolder. The room note was tolerable; it reminded me of saddle leather that had just come off of a horse's back, that pungent animal sweat and leather smell.

Overall I really liked Syrian Super Balkan. I liked how every puff seemed to contain a little surprise, and how subtle the blend was. I like more aggressive blends typically, but this is a good change in the rotation in the form of a mild English and I will definitely be buying more. I would recommend this blend to anyone looking for a mild or first time English smoke.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Syrian Super Balkan is a nice blend; I'm really beginning to like latakias, and as such, after smoking this blend, I find that I still prefer Frog Morton for a latakia fix. However, this one is rather different to me, and the comparison is like apples to oranges. I found that it lit easily, produced quite a bit of smoke, and lasted FOREVER. The perique was a nice touch. It would get hot and bite a little easier than I would have expected, but once it cooled down, it was quite nice.

I guess my feeling is, that if you are wanting a nice, rich latakia fix, this one's not it. If you want a Balkan, this might or might not be, as I have no experience with Balkans. But on it's own merit, this one is a medium-latakia bold perique/oriental blend which I find smokes well. I wouldn't mind it as a nice changeup every once in a while.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This is a good blend. Unfortunately, this blend has a really bad name. When I hear the word super, I think of strength, like super bleach, or better yet, like super new formula. Then you read the can and it says, mellow, fragrant, satisfying. Sorry these two terms in my opinion do not go well together. It should be called Syrian Mellow Balkan and then any preconceived notions I had would not conflict with my taste buds. I finished a can, and it is nice, smooth, tasteful but not Super.

Pipe Used: Eriksen Flame Grain Freehand

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Syrian Super Balkan is another blend from the Syrian Treo ( Super, Rose, Full) . This one has Perique which adds some additional interest and a spice to its "Full" sibling. The Perique is most interesting during the first 1/3 of the bowl where it adds a nice fruity incense scent and taste, and also blends very well with the Syrian. Unfortunately , it seems to fade and becomes muted in the second half of the bowl. Early in the bowl the blend has many similarities to Dunhills Night Cap ( "Super" is milder) , however I feel that , "Nightcap" continues to deliver flavor ,where this one becomes muted.

If I didn't feel that this blend faded quickly, it would rate 4 stars. My preference for the "Treo" is Rose, Super, Full , in that order. However, depending on the time of day and my mood, I could rate anyone of these a 4 star blend. What I don't understand is all the low ratings for these blends, perhaps it's the lighter hand of the McC Syrian Latakia flavor.

Pipe Used: cob and Osark maple

Age When Smoked: 3 years /one month open

Similar Blends: milder Dunhill Night Cap in a rubbed flake cut.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Flavors in this one are bit muddled/muted compared to the similar components in Syrian Full Balkan (which does not have the perique). Very similar smoking characteristics between these two, but the flavor distinctions and enjoyment are lacking in the Syrian Super, which also required some re-lights, when compared. 2*.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik

Age When Smoked: Tin stamped 170306

Purchased From: Tinder Box, Mishawaka, IN

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This blend was a disappointment. I was looking for a strong Balkan blend with a Yenidje topnote, and unfortunately confused "McClelland" with "MacBaren" (who do have a fine blend, HH Syrian).

Despite the glowing description on the label, both my friend & I thought this was a overly light blend with little or no character. The best I can say for it is that the smell in the tin is pleasant, lightly fruity with the Latakia odour present but not strong. The room note is plain, with none of the exotic aromas of middle eastern species tobaccos. Easy on the tongue for the first half of the pipe, with a slight bite towards the end. Mild enough for a beginner with a taste for Latakia, but disappointing for a "Turkish" afficionado.

Frankly, I think I'm going to use this for blending.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

I was expecting something heavier like Epicurean from the old Tinder Box days. This was not as I thought, however it's a nice smoke with some good flavor with a sweet undertone.The aroma reminds me of the good old days at the pipe shop on a winters day. It fit's the middle of the road to me but I enjoyed it. Will update after a a few more bowls!

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

Rather than repost the observations of many here before which seem dead on correct for the most part, let me say that this is a different blend entirely from its seeming sibling, Syrian Full Balkan. While SFB struck me as somewhat monotonic in taste, Syrian Super Balkan seems well-named. If one enjoys the McClelland Grand Orientals just imagine the addition of Syrian Latakia and Perique to some of those and you have Syrian Full Balkan. This presented to me a symphony of flavors with each major component having a distinct movement as the burn progressed down the bowl. I might not want this as steady smoke fare, but the occasional bowl is pleasant enough. There is some nicotine kick here as I am very satisfied in that area for several hours after a bowl, well sated in fact.

Rating: a hair over three stars.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very similar to Syrian Full Balkan in cut and appearance, but I like it a bit better.

The Perique, in very small doses (I usually don't tolerate it, but here it's OK), helps creating a fruity sweet/sourness.

Overall, not a Balkan again, but a decent tobacco.

As with Full Balkan, the best thing of it is the subtle and everchanging Syrian Latakia.

But I still slightly prefer Rose of Latakia.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not as good as the Rose of Latakia, the addition of Perique does make it a better blend than the Full Balkan. But only barely.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Disclaimer: I am allergic to Perique, so some blends just do not agree with me and I am afraid that this was another one.

Appearance and Aroma: Beautiful ribbon cut, blacks, browns, and a few yellows. Smells wonderfully musty and smoky in the tin. A touch of the figgy Perique odor is noticable.

Packing and Lighting: Easy packing, lighting can be a chore, drying out in the tin is a good idea.

Initial Flavor: Where's the beef! This is a mellow Balkan, not a "Super" Balkan IMO.

Mid-Bowl: Nice round mellow flavor, but the Perique starts to toot its horn and my allergies begin to kick in, argh!!!

Bottom of Bowl: Too peppery for me, a chore to finish, my tongue is swelling due to my allergy. No dottle and ash is soft and grey, though.

Overall: I hate to say this, but MC just has missed the boat on this one. Too much perique, not enough turkish, and not enough Syrian! Sorry folks, but this just is not a Balkan IMO.

Rating: 2.75 out of 5 points