Remarkably cool-smoking, delightfully fragrant. Frog Morton journeyed far across the pond to find the exotic components for this rich, smooth pipe tobacco blend enhanced with rare Syrian Latakia. He says it was worth the trip.

Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frog Morton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin
Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste

This is a bit less "vinegary" than the original Frog Morton. It's slightly stronger and more complex than FM, too, mostly due to the difference in latakia and addition of the Orientals, which offers some wood and spice. As they use Syrian latakia, this is smokier, dryer and a little more woodsy in taste than it would be if Cyprian was used. The dark fruit and citrus Virginia forms the base of the blend, and also offers a little grass and earth. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Needs some drying time as does all the Frog blends, but it burns pretty decently at a moderate rate, though it leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. The flavor is consistent from top to bottom. Won't bite, and has no dull or harsh spots. The after taste lingers just a little.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

By far and away to me the most compelling of all the Frog Morton flavors. For the most part this is a simple straight-forward lightly nuanced Latakia mixture and it’s quite mild, even by McClelland’s standards. However, it’s the Latakia in this one that makes it so special and sets it apart from the other FM blends.

I swear this is On the Town with the Cyprian Lat replaced by McClelland’s Syrian and perhaps a few adjustments made to compensate for the change. I say this, because the two mixtures have some very similar traits. Altogether, this smokes soft and sweet, but it has a beautiful wine-like bottom note provided by the Syrian that adds a whole other layer of complexity. I also find this to be a touch more smoky than other Frog flavors but the smokiness is nicely balanced by McClelland’s classic sweet fermented Virginia along with the toasty marshmallow like flavor that I found in FM on the Town. It's truly a wonderful combination of quality tobaccos.

This is a great anytime mixture and I will surely be putting a few tins of this away.

Age When Smoked: 4

Right off the bat I need to state that I've never smoked a blend using Syrian latakia before. Perhaps that is what is throwing me for a loop on this one.

A bit lighter in color than the original Frog and with a coarser cut, this has that delicious McClelland scent in the tin - mostly virginia. But what an odd tasting blend! Like the original Frog and Frog On The Bayou, there's something there that shouldn't be or something not there that should. I'm wondering if I don't care for Syrian latakia. But I found this one to be the least tasty of the Frog series, unless a very strange flavor should be counted.

I'm going to cellar a small amount of this and try it later after I've tried a few other Syrian blends. I'll update this review then if there's anything new to say. As it stands, I cannot easily recommend this unless you're certain Syrian latakia is to your taste.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is far and away my favorite of the Froggie series. The Syrian Latakia is layered delicately throughout the ribbon cut Virginia and Oriental leaves and this makes for a mildly sweet yet well balanced smoke. Not much power here, but certainly a fun puff for times when gentleness in your Latakia fix is desired.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Bingo! I'm always looking for a good English tobacco. Dunhill 965 and Perfection are the gold standards of English tobacco in my opinion. I smoked a pipe of Across the Pond today and guess what? Across the Pond joins 965 and Perfection as perfect 4.0 English tobaccos. Yummy!

Pipe Used: Paulo Becker

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965 and Perfection..

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I just want to say that all of the hype regarding the Frog Morton blends is definitely warranted. This is a splendid example of a great English. The Syrian Latakia is smooth. Maybe it's just me, but it seems more "buttery" and less spicy, all while producing a smokey flavor and aroma. It's different, but it's a GOOD different. The other tobaccos behave very nicely with this blend as well, allowing a bit of sweetness to present itself. I consider this a light English, and I could certainly see myself smoking it all day long (I have done this, in fact). If it were available in bulk, I'd be stocking up. I highly recommend this to those getting started with English blends as well as those who are looking for something lighter and a bit different from the gamut of other English blends. It's definitely a keeper for me.

Pipe Used: Sasieni, LHS, Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Statesville, NC

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (30)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is the first pipe tobacco blend I ever smoked. At the time, I remember being overwhelmed by the smokiness of it. Now that I've smoked multiple tins over the years, and my palate has adjusted, I am struck by how very sweet it is.

On first light, it's the sweetness that jumps out to me. As the bowl develops, the Latakia becomes more of a presence. I wouldn't consider this to be a showcase for Syrian Latakia by any stretch, but it is very tasty.

Compared to big Latakia bombs, tangy VAs, and fruity VA/Pers, this blend might seem a little flat, but I love it. It's probably the heavy dose of nostalgia that I add to every bowl.

Pipe Used: Mostly in an Italian briar dedicated to this blend

Age When Smoked: 4 years old, on average

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I did not enjoy across the pond as much as the original FM as it is a little light in the britches for me but this is indeed a top shelf blend with rare Syrian latakia. I can see where a lot of folks would really enjoy this blend due to the mildness and low nicotine presence. I actually really enjoyed mixing this blend with some Yenidje Supreme by McClelland, the mix of Syrian Latakia and Yenidje Orientals was absolutely delicious!!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first Frog I tried, and so far remains my favorite of the series. The original was too unbalanced toward latakia; this one is much more interesting and I am still picking out different flavors and characters. I like my latakia as a team player, and they got it right on this one. A good blend for smoking when you have nothing else on your mind and the time to go slowly. It's a shame some smokers are put off by the cute Frog cans and the literary character on them. It's just marketing. Dump it in a nameless pouch, let it dry and breathe a while and try to ignore the name. A fine smoke. This mixture is leading me into other V/L/O blends I doubt I would have tried otherwise.

Update 8/05: I felt compelled to upgrade this to a full 4-star. It improves after being opened and has become my go-to baccy. Love this stuff! It's wrestling with FMOTT for my favorite amphibious smoke and is currently winning. For some reason, this remains readily available despite the Syrian latakia component. Bless McClelland for their stores of it; I will sorely miss this when they are depleted.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Really surprised with this one since I didn't care for one of the other Frog Morton versions I had tried. There almost seems an alcoholic quality to the tin aroma even though there is no alcohol from what I can tell. What I realized is the stoved virginias which have a very slight tang and sweetness and perhaps the other leaf elements produce almost red wine like undertones; Very sophisticated and appealing. The latakia is slightly in back of the virginias which leads to a more rounded taste and better balance to my preference. Being Syrian, the latakia has more of a pine needle and spice-like smokiness that I think is superior to Cyrpian and especially so in this blend with the character of the stoved virginias. It's not oriental heavy but it is there rounding out the blend. There is depth and layers of complexity along with refinement in this blend that I haven't noticed in most other english tobaccos these days. Being a Frog Morton blend it is rather cool on the palette and is a good choice for those who find more natural virginia ribbon based blends too sharp. A real surpurlative blend for my taste.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

McClelland - Frog Morton across the pond.

Another one from a trade with Gentleman Zombie where we included a few 'opened, but not so fond of' blends'. The first of these that I reviewed was another by McClelland: Bombay Court. I gave that four stars, it was great, and I feel it's the same scenario with this; absolute quality. Cheers pal!

I can't comment on the age, but that doesn't bother me right now; it's achieved a perfect water content whilst opened and gives a delightful smoke. Now, I'm considering it maybe because it's Syrian Latakia, but the flavour's nowhere near as smoky and formidable as Lat' can often be: it tastes rich, but not astringent. The tobacco's work together nicely as the combination of the earthy Lat', and the slightly spicy Oriental's make for a tasty, yet calming smoke. Without sounding sycophantic towards Franck (Gentleman'), I too struggle to detect much Virginia; I'm putting this down to the inimitable nuances of the other two tobacco's making the Va seem redundant. I'd put the nicotine as a steadfast medium amount, a good blend for anytime of the day! As much as I love this blend, I do have a little problem: slight bite. To be fair, this doesn't happen until I'm over halfway through a bowl, and when it does it doesn't cause me too much of a problem. As it's only a tiny bite, and that's subjective, the rating won't diminish from four stars!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Harp Royal #03

Age When Smoked: 6 months to a year?

Purchased From: Trade with Franck (Gentleman Zombie)

Wīglāf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wīglāf (11)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful blend! I do not smoke throughout the day, but if I did, this would probably be my baseline. It has an elegant, even winey sweetness that carries straight through from beginning to end. It burns cool, and still works if it's a little too wet or dry. This is the blend I will usually offer to friends who are not diehard pipe smokers, or who are new to the art. By no means am I a connoisseur of tobaccos, but I like what I am tasting here! The Syrian Latakia makes this blend immensely smooth. The Virginias layer in very nicely, and the Orientals lend precisely enough depth to make Frog Morton Across the Pond familiar and fragrant, even if not complex or groundbreaking.

Pipe Used: Trevi, Duca Carlo, and Unfinished--all Savinellis

Similar Blends: slighly reminiscent of Balkan Sasieni, Balkan Sasieni - Balkan Sasieni.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Frog Morton jumped away from me and into the pond, never to truly be seen again. I found this to be a light English, which for many is exactly what they want. The aroma was very pleasing, but I didn't get the mouth-feel I enjoy in a medium or stronger English. This also didn't seem as full bodied as I like. What I will usually do if I want a lighter smoke is sip more gently on a stronger blend and if more oomph is desired then I increase my puffing cadence so I can get the best of both worlds from one tobacco. This tactic didn't really work with FM for me, so for those who feel this is a blend that suits them well then that is great...it certainly is made well and its constitution is of fine tobaccos, it just wasn't quite what I look for. Otherwise, it did smell nice in tin, was of good humidity, the bowls fragrance was nice, it loaded easily, burned reasonable well and produced a moderate amount of smoke...important factors for any tobacco in my opinion. A good blend, light, but good. MCBY

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (69)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

My tin's about two years old now and has aged beautifully. The wet-and-fruity Virginias have mellowed, and the overall blend is drier and burns better. (I give most McClelland blends plenty of drying time, especially when new; exposing a bowl's worth to air for a day or two seems to do it.)

As other reviewers have observed, this is a mild English and pretty light in terms of nicotine. The Latakia is subtle, but the flavor profile is still wonderful. Slightly smoky, slightly sweet, and really well rounded. Most of the Frogs would be a good intro to English blends, and this one's no exception. (On the Bayou is the exception, imo, given its healthy slug of perique.) On the Town is still my favorite of the FM lineup, but this one deserves at least three stars.

Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I worked my way through a tin of this over four months and never really had a eureka moment. I was drawn to this tobacco having never tried Syrian Latakia and wanting to.

It is clear that a lot of people do like this one, perhaps it is the variety of oriental used. I just can't seem to enjoy this one. I do concede in the quality of leaf and smokability of the blend, but cannot go over two stars on this one.

I will not repurchase, but probably will try the other Frogs as I am curious about them and they seem to get higher praise on here anyway.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Out of the frog morton series, this blend is second only to frog Morton's cellar in my opinion. It's still not an eye-popping smoking experience. In the realm of English blends I'd have to place this one on the very mild end of the spectrum. I definitely prefer the character of Syrian latakia to Cyprian, but there just isn't enough in here. I get mostly tangy orientals and pick up the dry, smoky latakia every now and then. Still, it's an easy puffing smoke with a good interplay of sweet and sour flavors, and it burns exceedingly well for a latakia blend. I found it more flavorful in a cob, of course. No tongue bite. I will probably keep this one in rotation for the times when I want a lighter oriental blend.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

StogieBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StogieBear (18)

I can see why some people don't love this, because it's not a typical English. It varies from sweet and mild to sweet-and-sour with piney, tangy notes. Definitely not for everybody, but worth a try when you're looking for something different.

It's a shame this won't be available anymore. I have a few tins in the cellar and look forward to seeing what it will be like in a few years.

Pipe Used: Various but best in my Falcon straight Genoa

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is without a doubt next to regular Frog, Boswell Railroad Station and Northwoods, one of my most favorite blends among all the other Froggy blends. This I expect is the only blend of the four that really and truly uses any Syrian Latakia. I wonder how much longer that will last? It doesn't carry as much of that vinegar flavor that Froggy carries and is a bit more wood smoky tasting. You also get that delicious baked bread flavor now and again that identifies Syrian Latakia is present but the amount must be small. I have to say that this blend hits all my buttons. Room note is very nice and has that great wood smoke aroma. Just an all around great and enjoyable smoke. I have no idea how much Syrian Latakia is left in the storehouse but I hope they have a bunch left to continue this outstanding blend along with regular Froggy.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Smoking pipe

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)

Smokey is all that comes to mind...smokey taste...smokey around my head...smokey ..hmmmm maybe at like a bbq pit next door smokey..i love all frog blends and this is no exception. I like the latakia and even the virginias dont have me running for some french fries with my ketchup! even tho there a great smokey taste and a good amount of smoke produced, the smoke will not ruin your sweater as you sit outside and enjoy this chapter in Frog Morton!

Pipe Used: Kirk Bosi apple

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (46)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting entry in the Frog Morton line. For one, it's the only one with Syrian Latakia, and this will play a major role of how this works, yet the role is played from the shadows. Then there is the show of the Ketchup taste and aroma..There isn't a more elaborate way to describe it, a mix between sweetness and sourness with a bit of earthiness all around. It is fairly dominant and consistent throughout the smoke. With just a little hint of caramel sweetness every now and then, and just a pinch of mild smokiness from the Latakia, that provides more smoke than smokiness in the taste profile. My tin came at perfect moisture and It packs well, get lit with a bit of work and for the most part stays lit. Stays consistent throughout the bowl both in aroma and flavour without any bite at all or harsh spots. Burns down to the end leaving little to no dottle, yet it leaves a bit of footprint in the bowl smell. But so far that didn't interrupt other blends in the same pipe. It is a nice one that I will savour, and maybe add to my rotation as a delicacy.

Pipe Used: Peterson Derry B27

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series).

Joaquim Pancho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joaquim Pancho (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

McClelland Frog Morton across the Pond, in the tin has a nice smell, not overwhelming, but kind of pleasant, I sense a little bit of vinegar aroma, mixed with like wood, or earth aroma, but not too strong which is kind of pleasant. Good consistency, fluffy and easy to pack. In the bowl I find it enjoyable and tasty, ( like wood, maybe oak flavor ) and a little bit spicy maybe, but not to much. For me it is a nice three stars smoke, since I prefer the other series of Frog Morton.

Pipe Used: Rick Black

Purchased From: 4Noggins

I can taste the Orientals clearly, the Latakia faintly, and the Virginias....not at all. There just isn't much here to hang my hat on. Tried it in both briar and cob and the only difference was that the Orientals were even more dominant in the cob. The only good news is that the Orientals are fairly decent and that saves this from being a one star blend.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Burns very well straight from the tin.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 54, MM Country Gentleman

YorkPA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YorkPA (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I love this blend. I find it to have little to know bite, a very pleasant flavor, and a good to very good room note. I am not sure why this gets a bad wrap. I have very much enjoyed this smoke, especially as an evening smoke around the fire pit. It burns cool and consistently and doesn't develop a harsh taste as you get to the bottom of the bowl. This blend is in my top 3 in the non aromatic category. I highly recommend it especially if you are looking for something that doesn't have a bite to it.

Pipe Used: JM Boswell, Mario Grandi, Savinelli

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (33)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

It's good tobacco, but too pedestrian. Not enough strength or Latakia to keep my interest. I found it to really dry my mouth. I'll smoke the rest of the tin, probably add some Latakia & Perique, but won't be purchasing more of this.

Pipe Used: Cob Meer

Age When Smoked: fresh & 3 months

Purchased From: P&C

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I don't know what they were trying to do here but everything is balanced that no real flavor comes through. Needs either more orientals or latakia.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is way too mild. It doesn't taste like tobacco, and I just don't enjoy smoking it. McClelland has better english blends to choose from (Three Oaks Syrian for example). This blend is a joke.

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)

Wow! I really like this. This has the perfect amount of latakia and the tobacco is of such high quality. It burns smoothly, cooly and completely. This is about as perfect as pipe tobacco can get.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (38)

It took me a number of bowls to come to become enamored of this stuff, however at this point after having partaken in some eight bowls of FMAP I've become a happy aficionado of this mixture. It's something of a thick shag cut of various dark shades of tobacco. The moisture content is neither brittle-dry or goopy wet. Like Goldilock's favorite porridge it's just right, which clearly lends to the excellent burning characteristics and lack of unwanted juices creeping down the stem. The tin aroma is a slightly sweet dried fruit and fragrant mildly smokey herbal smell. As for the "ketchup" it's very mild and it's not ketchup it's the McClelland fermentation process your olfactory sense is noticing. As for the taste, outstanding, it's no Bar-B-Q pit, and that's a plus. The gentle Syrian Latakia provides an herbal and softly smokey quality to the balance of slightly sweet Virginia and tangy Oriental flavors. At first I liked it but searched for what I liked as I found the Latakia flavor unusual even for a Syrian Latakia. However the more I smoked the more I liked it and I then realized that a big part of the pleasure was that it was providing a number of enjoyable flavors in a wonderful balance. Balanced is the word to describe FMAP. This blend is sophisticated and elegant but still richly flavorful. You won't find nicotine nirvana here, the drug is quite restrained, another big plus in my eyes. I have been able to enjoy consecutive large bowls without my head spinning. FMAP is very, very gentle on the tongue. Not recommended for those seeking heavy nicotine or that sooty bottom of the grill flavor. Highly recommended for those seeking a gentle, flavorful, elegant, balanced bowl of tobacco.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I will never figure out the "stars" on this thing. They never come out like I want them to. I would give FMAtP a good 4 star rating, out of 5. It is the first Frog Morton I have tried and I have done so on purpose, having read that it is somewhat mild. That said, I am an old hand and Dunhill "Nightcap" and other, similar, blends. I found the very mildness of "Across the Pond" to be its most refreshing attribute. It is what is it is. Relaxing and enjoyable. It is not overly complex and you do not have to think about it. It lights easy, produces good smoke, stays lit and is tasty. What more can be said? I would have given it five starts had it not been for the standard McClelland "ketchup" thing. It kind of stays with you and leaves a lingering odor and taste. Not "bad" exactly but it is there. I suppose it takes some getting used to. I think that I shall be keeping "Across the Pond" in my regular rotation from now on.

J.G. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.G. (7)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

McClelland's “Frog Morton - Across the Pond” is a sweet, spicy blend of pipe tobacco. The sweetness come from the Virginia tobacco. The spiciness comes from the Syrian and Oriental tobaccos. There were no aromatic additives. The flavor was delicious.

However, I gave it three stars instead of four because it was too lightweight. The sweet and spicy flavor was medium in strength, but there wasn't much body to the flavor beyond that. Also, the nicotine was weak. Also, I often had to relight the tobacco. I smoked a third of a 50 gram tin.

Then I blended the remainder with an equal amount of a medium English blend. The result was much more satisfying. The sweetness and spiciness still was present, but the English blend gave it more strength of flavor and more vitamin N -- and it stayed lit.

My recommendation: Try it if you want to taste a sweet and spicy blend. You might find it a bit light, though, and you might prefer to blend it with an English blend.

-- J.G., 24 October 2011

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First, I've got to give props to McClelland for making such a consistent line of products as the Frog Morton series. They all basically follow the same theme: medium-flavored blends that showcase the most popular condimental tobaccos in a way that serves both as a perfect introduction to them for newbies while retaining their attraction for us more experienced smokers. The original FM is based on Cyprian latakia; On the Town focuses on various Orientals; On the Bayou uses perique, and Across the Pond uses Syrian latakia. Each of these mixtures burns slowly, has very little nicotine and is formulated in such a way as to have as close to "zero" tongue bite as is probably possible in a pipe tobacco. But their mildness belies the amount of flavor you can derive from them, if you coax the tobacco in just the right way (yet another reason they're nice for new smokers -- they're a great way to work on technique). There's no complexity here -- just the wonderful, straightforward flavor of whatever varietal of leaf each Frog is meant to shine the spotlight on.

FM Across the Pond uses the same base tobaccos as the other "Frogs," a mixture of what appear to be heavily stoved Virginias and perhaps even some Virginia cavendish. They then add a respectable helping of the now impossible-to-find Syrian latakia from their stores, producing what is perhaps THE perfect introduction to that leaf. If you want to understand the differences between the two types of latakia, then smoke a bowl of the original FM and follow it immediately with some of this. Unlike the intense, smoky and comparatively sharp taste of Cyprian, the Syrian is very deep, wine-like, and quite spicy. It definitely stamps its flavor on the mixture, but in a more subtle fashion. Overall, this is a very sweet and easy to enjoy blend.

I went through a period of disliking the Frogs because of their mildness, but I've come to really appreciate them for what they are: modern classics, and ones that will be revered like the legendary mixtures of old once they - inevitably -- disappear from the market. The one drawback is that these contain some kind of preservative (perhaps PG) that basically keeps them hydrated for months even after the tin is opened. Some might consider this to be a "deal killer," but I don't (at least not in this instance). Like the other Frogs, this is at least a 3-star mixture, lacking only more strength and a little more depth to make it a solid 4. YMMV, of course.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

This is the better of the 2 Frog Morton blends that I have tried so far. A great tasting blend that has no tongue bite and has a great aroma. Smokes down to a nice white ash and I can see more tins of this in the near future.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This time I have to agree with Pipestud: this is my favorite of the Frog line!

The tobacco is certainly flavored, as the plum-like tin aroma and the stickiness of the leaf suggest. The cut is very big and rough, with huge chunks of sugary sticky shiny black cavendish, which made me fear for the worst!

Wrong, since McClelland definitely can make aromatics which not only smell good, but taste great (Mellow Mack comes to mind).

The result? A weird crossover blend, which has both an incredible sweetness and some interesting smoky spiciness from the Syrian Latakia. Yes, it's just like they mixed the flavors of Rose Of Latakia and those of Mellow Mack, not the usual "timid EM with too little latakia and some cavendish for a hint of sweetness": this is real the middle of the road between the two styles, with no compromises to either of them. Bot traits show clearly, and it's a miracle that the union actually works!

The original Frog Morton was quite good though unexciting on the long run, and showed a definite sweetness. I was less impressed by the "On the Town" and "On the Bayou" variations, which I find less pleasing and dull. In "Across the Pond" the good news is that both the Latakia flavor is accentuated in comparison to the original Frog, but ALSO the sweetness! Slow smoking brings out the best of this: a darkly sweet, caramelized note, with the Syrian Latakia emerging once in a while delightfully.

Sure, it is too light and delicate a blend for my taste, but once in a while it can be a delightful change of pace!

Noctivagant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noctivagant (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm struggling with how to review this one. This is the first of the Frog Morton line I've tried. I generally really like McClelland tobacco. English is my normal preference, especially Oriental forward blends. I really don't care for what this offers. It's too sweet, the Virginias aren't complex as I'd like, there aren't enough Orientals to pique my interest, nor is the Syrian Latakia working. This is the first Syrian blend I've tried, though I have other McClelland Syrian blends cellaring, some aged 7 or 8 years. I've been putting off opening any of these as they're all now unavailable with the February 2017 news that McClelland is finally out of Syrian Latakia. Trying this was supposed to settle whether I should crack a tin of Samovar, Wilderness, or Three Oaks Syrian. It really didn't, as I doubt this blend is really representative of Syrian Latakia, if it is, I sure won't miss the stuff.

What I expected from this tobacco was a sweetish light English with some Oriental character and the subtle I incense flavor of Syrian Latakia. What I got was a slightly smokey English that is really reminiscent of a lightly sweetened gingerbread cookie or biscotti. It tastes like a memory of something that I just can't firmly place, and it's not a flavor I'm fond of in tobacco. I just can't do this one. It's flat and just tastes like biscuits. I wanted to like this. Something's just not right between myself and this blend. I was supposed to like this. It was supposed to inform me somewhat about the now gone McClelland Syrian Latakia so I could avoid opening now unavailable tins in my cellar. I was supposed to rush out and buy more of this before it too disappeared! I actually like the kitschy Frog crap and the illustration on this one is my favorite of the bunch. I'm a sucker for a Tolkien reference too! This was supposed to be different, and if all my prized Syrians taste like baked goods, I'll really be disappointed.

I definitely think there's some casing here I'm not agreeing with. I've heard common complaints about the Frog Morton series as being "English-lite" or English for aromatic smokers or too sweet for many. The line does have a loyal fan base, but then so does Captain Black. I think I need to give either the original, On the Town, or On the Bayou a shot to really know where I stand on this Frog silliness.

I've jarred it up and am hoping age will improve it.

Wouldn't recommend it. Room note was okay but it left my beard smelling of biscuits.

Pipe Used: Comoy's prince, crappy old small bulldog

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Biscotti, Biscuits, Cookies, Baked goods, Disappointment.

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The fifth, and final, Frog Morton series that I have reviewed. Creamy and spicy, a bit pungent if you you will. A lightly smokey blend that had an improved cut over the usual chunky style of this series (have no fear, there is still an abundance of stems to go around). No flavoring is poppycock. It is in the Black Cavendish and most notably the room note. Quite subtle it is, where one can not quite put a name to it. Nevertheless, it is present throughout the entire series. As such, these blends are definitely in the American English Genre. As I have stated in my previous reviews of the blends in this series, they are all very similar to the blends that were quite popular in the 1950's. This does make them extremely relevant to the history of pipe tobacco. As such, I would merit a recommendation on this alone if not only the unique nature of the blends themselves. Well worth a go.(IMHO- Morton's Cellar is the best of the lot as it represents well early style aromatic tobacco blends before there rise to fame in the 1960's). Cheers

Pipe Used: Comoy's Zulu; Safari Billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh to One Month

Similar Blends: American English( circa 1950).

pylet2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylet2000 (33)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Compared to the original Frog, this was a surprising contrast. A touch bitter, a little pungent, and just barely recognizable as being a Frog blend (mostly in the tin moisture and topping). Not a terrible smoke, I did get through the large tin, but it was never my favorite smoke of the day.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: new to well aged

Nathaniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathaniel (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first mistake with this blend was loading up a bowl out of a freshly-cracked tin. My second mistake was using the wrong pipe for it at the moment. Out for a night at the local cigar lounge with a friend, I had just sampled some of his tobacco, a goopy cinnamon aromatic, in the only pipe I had about me at the moment: a sweet little Loewe bulldog, circa 1920, bought for a steal on eBay and intended from the get-go as an English pipe. Well, that cinnamon aromatic wasn't bad, just wet and nondescript. After about half a bowl of my friend's wares, I Frank-loaded the Loewe with a smallish amount of the Frog. Caramel, moisture and the threat of bite were the orders of the day. FMATP comes pretty wet by itself, and the swampy pipe wasn't helping. A very slow cadence staved off full-blown bite and allowed me a glimpse of a better smoke to come. Hints of soft caramel, interlaced with high, sharp hits of cinnamon from the previous smoke made for an odd, incongruent smoke. Very uneven, and while the flavors didn't exactly clash, the combination was distracting, as was the constant imminent bite. Ah, well. The fiddly, fussy smoke didn't detract from an overall pleasant night.

Back home, I scoured out the Loewe, used two pipe cleaners and left the FMATP on my shelf with the lid ajar. Two-odd months later, not a lot has changed. This stuff doesn't want to dry out for me. Another run in the Loewe- and this stuff still burns hot, wet and nippy. With the amount of latakia in here, I was disappointed and surprised. The caramel sweetness has receded a touch and the sharp mustiness of the orientals has inched up to the fore. Normally, with my preference for English blends over aromatics, this would be a plus, but I found myself missing that soft dessert flavor. It's still a quality tobacco, perfectly smokable (provided you tiptoe around the tongue bite), but it's unpredictable. Not within the single smoking session, but from smoke to smoke; and that is not to my liking. I'm undecided on whether or not I like this one. I like what it can be. I like the components and the tin note and the softness and the tin art. And I like some of the smokes it's given me. Some of the other ones, not so much. Still, would I buy it again? Yes, I would. Who knows, I might find a whole tin of the creamy caramel side of Frog Morton Across the Pond, with none of its hot, biting side. I dislike inconsistency in general though.

Pipe Used: 1920's Loewe bulldog

Purchased From: Smoker's Abbey, Nashville TN

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This a tobacco I will always keep on hand for those times when I want a smooth smoke blended with good tobaccos. It is not my favorite but again it is good and pleasant investment in puffing while letting my mind relax. Froggy is always welcome in my house. If this was the only blend I could get, that would be OK but since there are so many good tobaccos to choose from he is relegated to being just a good friend to have in the tobacco larder. This is a four star blend but only a 2 1/2 star for me. I find it best smoked in a large bowl so I can enjoy the flavors as they meld during a long slow smoke. The angel wife says the aroma is like a campfire with a few too many green logs in it. Not terrible but not as good as some of the incense-like other blends that she enjoys smelling. You should invest in the price of a tin or two.

Pipe Used: Boswells Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: gift

cjone107 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cjone107 (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Meh. Something about this is off. Based on other reviews here, I think it may be due to the syrian, but I don't like it regardless. There's a weird sweetness that bothers me more than any aro I've ever tried. Not to mention it seems wet and goopy no matter how long I dry it out. All that being said - it's an easy and safe smoke, so I've found myself reaching for it more often than I expected. I still wouldn't recommend it knowing how much more I liked FMOTT.

Purchased From: Smoke & Ale; Nashville, Tennessee

Michael N. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael N. (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was a one-time can for me. Well made, as many have stated, but too wimpy for my taste. I'm not into adding this, or that, to a product. In this case, there are SO MANY fine English blends to choose from.

Pipe Used: Peterson, il ceppo, Radice, other Briars

Age When Smoked: can dated 2013

Purchased From: P & C, on net

Similar Blends: other weak Englishs !.

Alparoleofficer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alparoleofficer (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Being that im new to european style blends, I couldnt place the flavors in this one. The earlier reviews saying that the flavor was toasty are pretty close. It was almost "earthy" at times. Its different from my usual aromatics but I like it.

Pipe Used: MM Corncob

Age When Smoked: 2 days

Purchased From: The humidor, Huntsville, AL

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (35)

Dark brown and black, fairly broad cut. Smell: leather. Milder than FM, and somewhat more monochromatic, which is why I'm withholding the fourth star, but a pleasant smoke. Medium-bodied, quite dry.

Pipe Used: Small bent billiard of unknown make.

Age When Smoked: three months.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (25)
Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

I've just come back to pipe smoking after being away for 25 years or so. This is the second tobacco I tried and the first that my wife stated "smells nice." While I enjoy sweet flavors and aroma, she isn't much into the sweet stuff (not sure why she married me, since I'm so sweet... but I digress.)

My first bowl I thought - it's ok. I then smoked some other blends and after about a week came back to this. My second bowl seemed better than the first. And then came bowl #3!

Bowl #3 was enjoy after coming back from watching the Manatee's play - they are a Single A farm team for the Minnesota Brewers, here in Florida. So a nice evening at the ball field, came home and watched the Ray beat the Yankee while enjoying FM Across the Pond with a glass of Scotch and Water (50/50). It was a wonderful smoke, the flavors of the tobacco coupled with the scotch, together with the win of the Rays...only one things could make this evening magical.

Oh well... 3 out of 4's not bad!!

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Latakia in this blend is definitley the dominant flavor. Very fragrant, maybe a bit spicy, but smooth and cool when smoked slowly. On a few different occasions, I was able to smoke a bowl of this in my giant Savinelli with no relights.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)

A bit lighter than Frog Morton. Smells similar but a bit more woodsy/smokier. Tastes like Frog Morton, but different, not as sweet and more woodsy and smokier (just like the smell). It has a different nuttier/earthy edge than Frog Morton and seems to be more complex with more depth than Frog Morton as well. Perhaps it is the orientals and the Syrian? I like it a lot. Another great edition to the Frog Morton series.

Pipe Used: Bent Billard, Dublin, Egg, Acorn, Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-3 years

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series), Hearth & Home - Fusilier's Ration (Marquee Series).

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'll echo what SmoothingIt had to say: Nothing objectionable about this blend, but just too bland for me. I like FM, really like FMOTB, but FMATP is my least favorite Frog.

Two stars.

SmoothingIt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmoothingIt (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

If you have just switched over from aromatics (if you haven't switched yet, you will), this may be a decent smoke for you. It is very tame for lack of a better word. Very little flavor, very little taste, somewhat bland. However, this may prove beneficial to someone not quite ready for a full bodied tobacco.

For someone wishing for a tobacco that is complex, full of varying flavors from start to finish, with a bit of a nicotine kick, this is not a good choice.

It did burn well from charring light to dottle. However, there is little else positive that I can say about this smoke.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This blend just didn't do it for me... The syrian latakia in my opinion went to waste here because there isn't enough of it to really even taste and its just so mild and flat in comparison to the other Frogs which I enjoyed quite a bit. I like mild blends when they are balanced and flavorful, but this one to me was just flat boring and it even had a bit of tongue bite. My recommendation is don't bother with this one, try the grand orientals line if you want a good milder tobacco or if you want english stick with the other Frogs.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Well, the reason I have tasted this blend is that I made up my mind to try all the 4 Frog Morton bliens.

The Frog Morton Across the Pond is less enjoyable as the Frog Morton. Somewhat recommended if you are not smoking this for the tin.

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Since this is my first review please be kind. I tried FMATP from the reviews off this site and by my local tobacco shop owner. I must say this is a fine blend, but it isnt the English blend that I'm looking for. I found that the Va in this mixture was very much up front and on the sweet side. I did'nt really catch the Latakia until I got about half-way thru then it starts to peak thru and get alittle spicy but just did'nt have what I was looking for. So after one tin I will say good bye to FMATP. On the plus side if your looking for an English that has a nice room note this is a good blend for smoking around other people, I have had no complaints from non-smokers. Some even enjoyed the smell.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this better ( or maybe I don't?)than Frog Morton, mainly because it doesn't have as much Vanilla topping. That said, it still has many of the poor properties of FM. , hard to light and keep lit, low "N" and fairly bland blend. Some might say balanced, but what flavors are initially there, fade into a none developing bowl. The latakia is the main player but there is NO sweetness , actually bitter and just a touch of Orientals Hold one second while I relight this bowl for the fifth time !!! This tobacco doesn't bite, however because I have to relight so many times it is hard on the tongue anyway. There are so many better tobaccos, why smoke this?

updated 7/23/12- I just tried this and McC Ringlow Syrian Res., RSR is smoother and more flavorful , but I only rate that at 2 1/2 stars. Will not buy this again

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Tin opens to the aroma of McClelland's aged Virginias (ketchup). Then the Syrian Latakia chimes in with it's delicious leathery smokiness. A whiff of Oriental leaf is subdued but adds fresh, sweet, scents of sea air and spice. Virginia provides a parade of edible baked scents, grains, curing hay, and molasses sweetness.

Breeze to pack and light. Nice consistent burn.

Soft, warm, sweetness from the delicious Virginia. The Syrian is like distant smoke, but still brings it's sharp, leather & campfire nature. Very light, salty and sweet Orientals. All the flavors swirl into a rounded, cohesive balance. Seems to have a little more of the McClelland “Aged Virginia” nature than is obvious in the other Frogs.

I enjoyed this stuff. Sweet, sharp and tasty. Maybe not the best of the Frog Morton series, but I can't find any real fault here. Becomes richer as the smoke progresses, second half of the bowl loses a lot of the influence of the condiment tobaccos and becomes more like a McClelland Virginia flake in character. (Unlike the other Frog Morton blends I've tried, this one can bite a little if hurried.)

I'd gladly buy another tin of this, but maybe not an all-time favorite. 3½ Stars.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

Not as sweet as On the Town, but a sure bet nonetheless.

Aroma definitely reeks of McClelland Va's, and the smokiness of the Syrian Latakia blends perfect to cut the sharpness of it. I could see one smoking this all day long, without tiring. a great blend to relax with. I enjoy a bowl full laying in the hammock reading a chapter of Sherlock Holmes.

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (9)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

My first experience with Orientals. A delicious blend. Bought this on a whim, not knowing what to expect. I was slightly put off by the typical vinegar/ketchup aroma of McClelland VAs. I was pleasantly surprised when I put fire to this tobacco. I experienced a wonderful spicy sensation that sticks around for a while after the bowl is finished. Moisture out of the tin was just about right, perhaps good for a half an hour of drying or so. A cool, rewarding smoke with a pleasant, if not delightful room note. I will keep a tin in my rotation as I experience more tobaccos, and will be storing a tin or two to see how it changes with age.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

This is a decent blend. Not much else to say, everyone has said it, but I will echo someone else and say that I could use a bit more strength in flavor.

Warning: review based on a two-bowl sample, by a man who has tried about 150 pipe tobaccos, but has never before this tried a single one of the "Frog" blends, and who thinks it's pretty nice, but probably wouldn't buy any of them based on this unless he could get a sweet deal on an aged tin...

Quality leaf, well-blended. Rich with stoved Virginia, Orientals, and Syrian Latakia. (And so this is Syrian Latakia? How much?) Yes, a well-made mild English blend. What I usually say (and practice) with Latakia is that I like just a touch, or a mainline. Not the middle. But then, the application here seems to me from the small amount I smoked to be pretty light, so what gives? I can't bring myself to give it two stars. I think there is also this thing with me where I don't usually like highly stoved Virginia, with some exceptions from time to time. It's good, but I actually prefer those McClellands that scream "vinegar!" when you pop the lid and are sharp on your tongue. I can see how these blends could have become so famous, but for someone else, I'm afraid. Maybe I will give another one a chance someday.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

The third of the series that I have tried. I love this one slightly more than FM Original, and slightly less than FMOTT. This has the potential to become my favorite however.

This is the smoothest of the FMs. It's also the coolest burning tobacco I have come across. Ever.

The typical very mild sweetness of the FM line is present, but even more gentle than FMO. The Syrian Latakia (which I believe is the only one in here, Cyprian not present) is far more delicate. Less of a tar fire and more... wood fire.

Extremely light on the vit N.

I love the room note, so does the girl.

Highly recommended.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)

The only other Syrian I've tried was MacBarens Vintage, which I like. After trying Across the Pond, I think I'll stick with Frog Morton. It's a bit more grandiose in my opinion. I just love all the Frog Morton blends. I cant wait to try other McClelland tobaccos.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Got this tin in April, It was good back then, nice aroma, good flavors, smoked about 5 bowls in April, May Pulled it out today, and holy crap, this stuff has not aged well at all. In just this short time its lost Most of its flavors About all I can taste is the Latakia, which gives my tonque that nice coating...

I had big hopes for this blend, Will probably try another tin

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There really isn't a lot to dislike about this blend. It is a quality tobacco. It's just that it isn't interesting enough to make me want to purchase it again given all of the other medium English blends out there. When choosing a tin from the Craftsbury Collection Frog Morton on the Town would be my first choice.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (27)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is a tobacco that although I believe it is a quality blend it left me wanting a stronger smoke. This would be great for a new pipe smoker seeking a tobacco that is mild, and will not kick your butt. For me it did very little. It lacks a robust nature that I have found in other tobaccos, and I found it VERY flat. It is however a tobacco that I would tell a new pipe smoker seeking a milder blend to try.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

What a cooooool smoke! If you're in search for a full bodied smoke, look elsewhere. This is a very subjective hobby so I'm not about to tell you what I think this tastes like but I will tell you that it's very rewarding. Like good music, it takes awhile for it to grow on you.(5/31/2010)

UPDATE 8/07/2010 If you have tried Orient 996 or Syrian Full Balkan than(much to my chagrin) you have also tried this. Both these blends taste exactly the same as Across The Pond. Yes, it's disappointing but I keep my rating here the same because it truly is a wonderful smoke. As for the other two, I give them the dreaded 1 star for lack of originality.

UPDATE AGAIN 12/01/16 I have to lower my rating. I still believe this is an excellent blend for beginners, as are all of the Frog Morton line, I just can't smoke this one anymore. I would recommend 3 Oaks Syrian over this one any day. That one will give you a better idea of what the Syrian Latakia is all about. I still appreciate this one as it was a great stepping stone but I doubt I'll ever buy another tin.

nikko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikko (5)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Uh... after three bowls I couldnt bring myself to smoke another. No taste or flavor at all. Somebody mentioned ketchup smell in the can. Yup they are right ketchup it is! Its disgusting too. Dont recommend, should I throw away or age for a bit and try again?

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm fortunate enough to be working my way through a batch of "Across the Pond" made in 2004 (luckily there is a nearby cigar shop that doesn't happen to sell much pipe tobacco). My early impressions of this Frog Morton are impressive. Opening the tin for the first time you will mostly see thick cut, jet black leaf, but don't shy away too quickly. Frog Morton Across the Pond is delicate, and won't overwhelm your senses. Black Cavendish, perhaps?

To those who fault the blend for this characteristic I suggest you JAP this up (a poorly constructed acronym for "just add Perique"). I concur with those who note the almost sweet underlying taste of Frog Morton Across the Pond. Whether that's from some kind of casing or extra sugary Virginias, I don't know, but I like it. There's less Syrian here than Mac Baren's esteemed Syrian offering, which happens to have a slightly greater body and less cloying nature.

I suppose you might classify this as a light English blend, and I wouldn't disagree. I have another Frog Morton (on the Bayou) to sample, and I'll let you know how that turns out...

Four of Four

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This blend has become a fixture of my smoking routine. I have tried the other FM blends and this is by far my favorite. Smokes cool and fragrant. The Syrian Latakia is spicy without worry of the dreaded bite. Peace.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Cool smoking indeed! In fact, this is by far the coolest smoking tobacco I've ever smoked. I thought my favorite tobaccos were those with Virginia's dominating. Well, Syrian Latakia and Latakia blends in general seems to be my new favorite. Sweet tasting, extremely cool smoking and a tolerable room note makes FMATP a tobacco I would PROFUSELY recommend. I'll need to try the other FM blends due to the overwhelming positive reviews. I smoke this blend in a meerschaum due to FMATP's tendency to be a tad to moist. I could let it dry out, which I have tried, but then it seems the taste dissipates when dried out. I'll have none of that!

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First off i have to say that i hate Latakia!But some good hearted soul bought me a can of this for my birthday.....and it was one of the better blend ive tried, i actually finished the can. Now i can see why it is well liked, it had lots of flavour and smoked well(i just hate the taste of latakia!)but if your into dark oriental blends, i think you'd like this one.(doesnt mean ill ever buy it)

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

This is the second Frog Blend I've tried. The first one I tried was the Frog Morton on the Bayou. I liked the Bayou blend more than this offering. Something is missing from this one, which made the Bayou blend a better selection IMHO. This isn't a bad blend, just a bit more milder than What I was hoping for. Maybe I should have started with this one first?

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)

Classic McCelland ketchup smell upon opening the can. The taste is enhanced and cooled by the latakia which is light. My wife mentioned that she liked the smell so what more can I say...rest of the review is superfulous. Nice cut and burns well.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (17)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I tried and instantly fell in love with the original Frog. I had high hopes for this blend, but alas, I find it sort of dull. Don't get me wrong, it contains high quality leaf, and smells nice in the tin, but the smoke was just not as good as the original. Maybe On the Bayou or On the Town will meet up to the original's excellance.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)

OF the Frog Morton blends, this one has the most character, and that is odd to me as generally I must admit that I prefer the leaves of Cyprus to the leaves of Syria (throw stones NOW!) however the sweet character of these belnds lends itself, I think, to the Syrian version which seems more spicy than smoky. As always, I must give a big ol' thumbs up to the VAs in the McClelland's blend.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is by far the best of the Frog Mortons, in my not so humble opinion. It is a mild blend that can be enjoyed by a wide variety of pipe enthusiasts. Without a doubt it is the subtle syrian call that brings me to this Frog. I've enjoyed at least 200grams of the weed and will I'm sure smoke some more!

Enjoy while you can!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Only those of you who are old enough will know what I am referring to when I say that I was waiting for this ?froggy? to ?plunk my magic twanger? but it fell three lily pads short. This blend, although pleasant, exceedingly smooth and modestly sweet, ultimately proved to be much too light a fare for my palate. This was not a true ?hot air? smoke as am I apt to describe an extremely mild and light blend, but it verged on being one. However, if you favor milder and bite free blends with modest amounts of latakia, then this ?froggy? will, indeed, ?plunk your magic twanger!?

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 7.8 out of 10.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like anything with Latakia in it, and I like 'most anything with "Frog Morton" in the name, so this was a natural choice for me. For the syrian-smoker in you, I recommend it, thought I don't consider this a "great" among the Orientals like GLPease's Haddo and Barbary. There's something ... odd ... to the casing (if it is casing) in FM Across the Pond, labeled in another review as "ketchuppy." That's not quite the right term, but I see what that reviewer is getting at. I'd call it more "sweet-meat," as in one of those olde-style English or Turkish suckers with very little sugar in it, maybe a compton's Baghdad Treat or a Parkinson and Bole Suckers For The Lads Defending The Empire type of flavor. Also, it's fun to see the little turban the froggy fellow wears in the label on the tin.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)

Smooth, that is the main feeling I get from Frog Morton Across the Pond. The latakia is not as upfront as the original, instead you get eased into the latakia, the Syrian leaf makes a big difference. I very much enjoyed this blend and will revisit it again, however, it doesn't have enough of an identity to make it to the cabinet, full-time.

Also, this is the only one of the Frog series that I got that McClelland ketchup smell from in the tin.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess I'm a Frog Guy. I have tried them all, numerous times, and find them all delightful. This does have a bit more latakia than the rest of the Frog clan, but as with the rest of the bloodline,its easy, smooth and a wonderful. My tastes run to Rattray 's Black Virginia and Highland Targe, plus the Frogs. I opened the tin and let it sit out one night to dry just-abit. It lights easily....and, well, and....I dont have enough words in my lexicon to sing the praises of this blend. If you steer towards the English blends, grab it, light it, enjoy it....It will become part of your regular rotation.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A superb blending of tobaccos, and a wonderful introduction to the world of Latakia for the curious piper. This blend may have easily been named "Latakia Lite" for that reason. Cool-smoking, fragrant and flavorful, this is another superb part of the Frog Morton series of blends.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Crossover at its best, absolutely. This is a perfect blend for everybody and every moment because it brings the best of both worlds. Sweet, but not too much, to suit the aromatic smoker and with a Latakia you rarely find so tasty. Having tried the Rose of Latakia I had great expectations on this one, but I imagined it was totally different. I'm not at all disappointed, however. The only thing I don't like is the lightness, I would have liked a stronger nicotine content, but you can't have everything. And what you have here, quality-wise, is a hell of a lot.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)

Before I smoked this blend I let it air out .When I packed my first bowl of this blend of frog I got a mellow smoke and a less smelly smoke. I also had this wife tested and it failed but my tastes bud passed the test and approved very quickly. I also got zero tongue bite and that was very appreciated cause I would like to smoke more of this frog blend across the pond just my kind of smoke when I take my morning walk.I put this tin in the morning rotation.

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)

This is the only one of the Frog Morton series I have tried. I really like this stuff. Not every day, not all times of the day, but this can be a real treat periodically. I like this when I am going to be around people that do not smoke or are run off by my full latakia mixtures. this one doesn't seem to bother anyone and the taste is very nice. Not an all-day smoke (for me) as I think it would be too tangy-sweet for that. Too much of a good thing begins to turn sour... Otherwise, I heartily recommend it for Syrian Latakia lovers and anyone who likes a taste of the exotic from time to time.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Second best in the Frog Series and out of the new Syrian blends from McClelland as well. I am just not that fond of Syrian Latakia (and yes I realize that I am in the minority on this). This blend is decent enough however and much tastier and cooler than FMOTT. Overall I feel that C&D and Pease use this leaf more effectively. YMMD

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Frog Morton is on my Top 5 list at #3. It has taken over for the "Velvet Hammer" A.K.A Night Cap. This is a great english smoke that is cool, clean and has a great flavor as well as roomnote. This is a perfect smoke for late autumn into the cool, crisp winter nites. I highly recommend Across The Pond. Its takes smokin Syrian Latakia to another level! MZMN 04

09-30-04 Revised:Once again, MC has done a wonderful job with this latest entry into the "Frog" series.

The artwork on the tin is wonderful as usual, with the artist truly giving the "Frog" life and personality, but what about the tobacco?

Appearance: Upon opening of the tin, you are greeted by medium cut ribbon.

Tin Aroma: This is about stoved VA's with the Syrian noticable.

Packing: Easy, with moisture just right compared to the original Frog. (Used both the "Frank" method as well as the standard)

Lighting: Easy, two to three relights typical

Initial Flavor: Stoved VA in forefront, Syrian Leaf is very noticable with its clove and spice notes abounding

Mid-Bowl: The Syrian starts to come out of the closet a little bit more.

End of Bowl: A little bit of build up in strength, there are some sweet notes from the VA's that come out.

Overall: This is a very smooth blend that fits nicely in the Frog series. It has now made it to the top of the Frog series for me IMO.It is almost impossible to get tongue-bite with this blend and would be a good intro to non-cased blends. I dedicated a pipe to this and that seems to be the best way to taste all the nuances that this blend has to offer. There are very subtle nuances that I missed after my first tin review. I must apologize to MCClelland now that I have learned how to enjoy this sublime blend. Is it as complex and rich as Pease's Bohemian Scandal? No, but it is not meant to. Rather, you have a blend that is carefully blended with many subtle nuances that only a dedicated pipe can bring out. I will be cellaring many tins as the VA component will richen this blend even more down the road.

Rating: 4 out of 5 Points, enjoy...

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)

This frog is midway between the sweeter original and the fuller on the bayou versions. Not as sweet as no. 1, but not bitter either. Cool. No bite. A little moist requiring some relights, but not a big problem. It agains has a dark flavor.

Ribbon cut, with dark stoved virginia again dominating the flavor at the beginning. By mid-bowl the latakia exerts its strength somewhat. But it never gets as full as something like Bombay Court. I don't really taste any other virginias or orientals, but I'm sure they are there.

This frog has more of a straight latakia note than the original. It would be good for a mild aromatic smoker to crossover to a more natural blend.

I think I like this one and on the bayou versions as my mild and fuller variations of this theme. RECOMMENDED.