A bright and elegant blend made from golden Virginias, which are specially treated to give a smooth and mild taste. Virginia Blend is recommended for young and new pipe smokers and to every Virginia tobacco lover.

Notes: Introduced in 1979.

BrandMac Baren
2.6
Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My review is based on the first of two 50grms pouches coming from Haejenius in Amsterdam. Virginia Blend is not distributed in Italy, what a pity?

As per the description in the pouch, Virginia Blend is mostly Virginia, from three continents, and just a touch of Burley. Seems the intention of the blender to be declared as offering a product for the younger people and the new pipe smokers, and I think it?s honest and appreciable as well: VB is not the usual VaBBC which is normally associated with pipe tobacco for youngers.

The blind smell of the pouch aroma is good: grassy, malty and the usual honey-sh note typical of McB?s. Something rensembling to an Assam tea. At the eye, the weed is a multi-tone coloured ready rubbed, let?s say medium-blonde with very bright flecks and some darker. Humidity is just perfect, but even more now that I?ve reached half the pouch.

I have just loaded a sandblasted Savinelli Punto Oro, straight billiard, medium bowl, but I can say that VB runs fine with the most part of my arsenal dedicated to Va?s. The smoke starts mild to medium, the aroma reflects the tin. I don?t detect any spicy note, as it may happen with Virginia #1, just a well rounded malty Va., comparable ? in my mind, I will check it out a.s.a.p. ? with Old Gowrie. As long as the bowl progresses the strength is going to the medium, and the smoke just tickles the nostrils. No gurgle, no bite, no ho smoke, no "insanely" hot pipe.

Three solid stars, my preference goes still to Va#1, being just more complex.

Tabakabouter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tabakabouter (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I Purchased a 100 grs tin. Nice surprise. Coarse cut (ready rubbed, thus pressed) medium brown color. The somewhat sour aroma reminds me of fresh walnut and malt. Before filling I first rub the VA between thumb and finger to reduce it and pack better in my Calabash. Lit twice. The first lit stoves the surface, then, after a while the second lit goes better. I expected a quiet sharp taste. None of that. This is surprisingly mild and yet a tastefull VA. No tongbite. The basic taste is typical VA, comparabel to VA-Flake from S. Gawith , Marlin Flake , Old Gowrie, Hal O and the HH Mature VA. The above mentioned aroma of nut and malt increases towards the end of the bowl. In a calabash it is difficult to evaluate if this burns hot. For me, this will be a regular smoke. If you like VA: try a tin.

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)

Nice flavour in the pouch, with some honey reminiscences. A bit disappointing in the pipe. Yes, an easy smoke but nothing much to say about it. I would say it is a good start for beginners wishing to try something else than the most popular blends beginners seem to try first (I remember what I tried years and years ago!).

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The little touch of burley in this non aromatic works well. One of my favs from mac b.

noflex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noflex (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The broken flake make this blend easy to pack in any kind of bowl, like some other blend from Mac Baren this also have some honey over it, and that's not a bad thing. Virginia Blend is a very sweet smoke, burn very fine all the way down. A fine weed indeed.

~noflex

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A similar offering to Virginia No. 1, with less flavoring and maybe a slightly less delicate taste. Nice average Virginia, quite fruity, grassy, sweet/sour. A bit dirty at times.

Good careless smoke, with nice burning qualities, slightly bitey.

bjshouma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bjshouma (6)

I bought an ounce of this from a tobacco shop for 4.00 an ounce. Upon opening the container i detect nuttiness, a hint of sour, and faint vanilla aroma. Broken flake is nice, good moisture level, packs better in a large bowl to light, tamp as you light. Once lit, burns a tad hot and requires a little care, but not much. Taste is very relaxing with hardly any tongue bite. As i blow the smoke out my nose, i get a small spice, nutty aroma. taste is great, very mild, not bad at all. If I wouldn't have to travel so far for a good tobacco shop, this would be in my rotation. Overall a very good tobacco.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

For a Virginia blend This one is pretty good. A better choice then Symphony that I use to smoke years ago. There is a hint of vanilla somewhere throughout this blends. Hard to pack and keep lit. Definetly one of the better tinned Virginas.