Reviews: 82044 Tobaccos: 7126What's NewLoginRegister

Blended from the finest golden leaves of America, this tobacco has a subtle flavour and gentle aroma. Soft to the touch - mild to the taste. Great tobacco at a popular price.

BrandLarus & Brother Company, Inc
Packaging1.5oz Pouch
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Extremely Mild
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium

Jack O' Diamonds comes in a box rather than a tin and is no longer produced. I had a box sitting in my tobacco "cellar" for many years before recently reaching for it on a whim. The contents were bone dry and I used the moist paper towel trick for 24 hours to rehumidify the tobacco. I find this method, while effective, usually dilutes the taste of a tobacco somewhat. Maybe that's why I found Jack O' Diamonds to be such a mellow smoke. It reminded me of Velvet to an extent, though it offered none of the "wine" like taste often associated with Velvet.

The leaf was a crimp cut ready rubbed and easy to pack. It burned well and reminded me of some of the older Iwan Ries blends that are just down home old recipies that seem to work.

I smoked the entire contents of the box in just a few days. Yep, I'd snag another box and save it for when "nostalgia" once again is my theme song of the moment.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm a sucker for these old school OTC blends and this one has been out of production for a good long while. I only scored about 3/4 oz, so take this review for what it's worth. Blonde-ish ready rubbed that loaded easily and a bag aroma of basic tobacco. My sample was on the drier side but still contained decent moisture.

The blend description here, and Pipestud's excellent review, are spot on. This was about as mild a blend as I've ever smoked. It reminded me of Velvet as well, although substituting a sweeter, more Virginia and less Burley presentation. Soft and mellow but with good flavors of mild sweet tea and citrus but predominately standard tobacco. There may have been a mild casing but I can't be sure. This one made me start musing over why certain tobacco blends didn't continue. Lane's picked up some old Larus blends but not this one as far as I know. Perhaps it didn't sell well but I'm surprised it was outsold by something like Cookie Jar, another old Larus blend that was picked up. I've never seen this for sale anywhere (haven't really looked, though) and the person I got the sample from was loathe to do so, and I doubt I'll smoke this again. But I definitely would. If you like old timey mellow smokes, this and Velvet are two sides of that same coin.