An exotic range of orientals, including Smyrna, Davalla, Xanthi, and Shiraz are blended in perfect harmony with lemon Virginia and Latakia. A mild to medium English blend that can be smoked all day.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.7

I have been spending the last year trying as many different English/Balkan's as possible. I, like many others find the P&W offerings among the very best. The No. 010 is a wonderful mild/medium blend with a great flavor bouquet. I find it much lighter than No. 400 but not lacking in depth. The Orientals are the star of this show. The pouch smell of this tobacco makes my mouth water. I have cellared a pound and now I'm wondering if its enough! Four Stars.

scottbtdmb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottbtdmb (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Pipeworks & Wilke #10 is currently my favorite Oriental/Medium Balkan blend. This is the kind of smoke that one enjoys while sitting out on their deck in the evening relaxing and perhaps enjoying a fine beverage or two. The allure of #10 doesn't necessarily lie in its strength, but moreso in it's complexity. Four different oriental tobaccos are used and each seem to take turns at the wheel during the first half of a bowlful of 10. Midway through, the orientals meld into one and the VA and Latakia come into the equation, letting their presence be known. Another thing I like about this blend is that the flavor lasts to the bottom of the bowl. The richness stays consistent throughout and the flavor just seems to get better and better. Highly recommended! I currently have several mason jars of #10 cellaring and will eagerly report back in a couple years when I crack one open.....this reminds me, it is time to get off here and go order some more.....some to cellar.....some to enjoy NOW!

Been there Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Been there (1)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

You can never go wrong with any P&W blend, but if you like mild but complex orientals, you must try this. Especially good when smoked in a wide bowl. I would recommend this to people who have never gone beyond Aromatics. It will convince you that you've missed a lot. BTW- Service is excellent. It's always a pleasure to support the small, highly skilled blenders, and P&W is especially excellent.

Pipe Used: Upshall,Calich,Caminetto,Vesz

Age When Smoked: 3 years stored in bale top jar

Purchased From: Carole at P&W Vt.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Another wonderful tobacco by Pipeworks & Wilke. This is a kind of "oriental" blend, for the major part that leaf plays, latakia supports beautifully but it isn't too present, while Virginias support without an asserting role. Absolutely unbeatable when smoked into a meerschaum.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I had purchased various PWW blends some years ago and decided that their #400 was the one I wanted to pursue. But I skipped this one, to my detriment. An internet friend sent me a small sample of this brown/black ribbon mixture and once I took a sniff of the contents, I couldn't wait to fire it up. It loaded easily and lit completely.

The orientals rule the roost here and this blend brings to light most smokers basic misunderstanding of what orientals can do. We're so used to the darker side of them when mixed with heavy latakia, that we forget their light side when used sparingly. This blend has a sweet side that's not all due to the Virginias. It's a non-aromatic aromatic sweetness, if that makes any sense. There's a McClellands Frog blend that is purported to be an English/aromatic crossover blend, and it's the inclusion of just the right oriental that is confusing many smokers. This one throws the same curveball. Overall, this is a light English, a mild latakia blend with bright VA and a host of masterfully executed orientals. Sweet but not Cavendish sweet with some baked bread and "sugar on toast" flavors. Not much in the way of bass notes but I think the intent here is on mildness but with rich depth of flavor. And it succeeds! Recommended for those that are looking for a lightly sweet blend that really shows off what orientals can do in the right blending hands. Well done, Carole! I'm getting a lot more of this for the cellar.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 3+ years

mcbpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mcbpipe (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I always have this on hand. I think it is my go to english/balkab/oriental blend. It is smooth, tasty, non-bitey. Can be smoked with full deliberation but wont punish you if you smoke it inattentively. Good quality, tastey, I dont care too much about roomnote as I cant smoke in the house---unless she goes away for a few days lol

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

"A mild to medium English blend that can be smoked all day."

Yes, very true, and then some. Read what others had to say, I'm busy with another bowl of 010 and packing up more in the cellar. Some it if you got it, get some if you don't!

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)

Outstanding Balkan. Burns well, tastes wonderful. The previous high ratings are right on the money.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I love good English tobacco, and although Pipeworks & Wilke makes some quality blends, it is their ?additive? that will keep me from buying more. If this kind of flavoring agent doesn?t bother you, you?ll probably love P&W.

Mitland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitland (7)

I took Pipeline's suggestion and bought a pound of #10 and boy am I glad I did, thanks brother. To me this is the ultimate in a medium balkan blend. Just the right amount of smokehouse balanced with a dash of sweet VA surrounded by mouthwatering Orientals. The Oriental spice makes for an Xmas cookie/waffle with bacon extravaganza. The copious volume of smoke defines silky smooth. Forget the desert island, I just want to keep going down to the basement and pull a jar out of the cellar every couple of weeks and chill in my easy chair with a snifter of a potent potable. Yummm!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

This Balkan has a companionable temperment, while interesting, sophisticated, and far from bland. A real peach. This works in cold and warm weather. It smokes well in any conceivable size pipe bowl.

Rarely do I get positive remarks from bystanders when smoking a Balkan. I do get them smoking No. 10. This blend will help one denote the difference between a Balkan and a mere Latakia-tilted English blend. This soon makes me forget about Exotique and think twice about loading a bowl full of Sasieni. No. 10 is more rounded than Exotique and less punishing tongue-wise (and less sweet) than Balkan Sasieni (which I still like very much).

If Balkans are "your thing," than resist ordering 2oz. or 4oz. and go for the pound serving. You may find yourself smoking multiple bowls, back to back to back daily. Remember to puff slow, sit back and consider yourself royalty.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)

This is the first Pipeworks & Wilke blend I tried and it is an odd, though good one. I would characterize it as a Balkan, but probably the lightest on such a scale. This is not to say that the Latkia or Orientals are not there in full amounts for they are, however this just doesn?t pack the ballast on the palate or mouthfeel that many of the Pease/Sobrani et all types do. The main note is the Orientals with the Latakia playing a close second. Midway through the bowl a distinct sourness develops that lasts till the end. This is rather unique and I like it.

This is a wonderful mild Balkan. Indeed this would make an excellent warm weather blend, or a fine choice for those who prefer a mild Latakia presence. Packs well, burns well, the flavor is a smooth melange of the ingredients, with a toasty undertone. Very nice.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very nice smooth mild English with some flavor. Does not have the slightly rough edge I associate with EMP. Good first pipe of the day for English smokers. A good one to break in a new pipe with before advancing it to something stronger. Intend to always keep some on hand.

woodworker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodworker (4)

I ordered a sampler right off, which included Pipemaker's Choice, High Hat, 191, and #10. Two of those were mild aromatics, I think, and I didn't enjoy the flavor as much. The #10 is a very nice, high quality, mild English smoke. I like to sit, read and think when I smoke and find this meditative and flavorful.

I'm amending this review after several months of trying different blends from different manufacturers. I spent most of the winter with Frog Morton Cellar which is a fine woodsy and latakia loaded tobacco. Today, with winter waning in Colorado, I came back to P&W #10. What a treat! Like many of you I'm wending my way through the P&W blends, in particular the aromatics. They are all so good I can't stay with just one. The aromatics are splendid and seem to rely on a mild mix of tobaccos to allow the aromas to emerge.

#10 is an interesting smoke because of the spiciness of the orientals. There is an underpinning of latakia which does not dominate but compliments. I put up 6 oz which is a lot for me. Surprisingly the whole family likes the aroma (although I smoke on the back porch). Many of you have compared this to Balkan Sobranie. I smoked a couple of tins of that blend in college in the 60's and the comments I got from my friends was that it smelled like burning rubber. I liked the flavor back then but #10 seems different to me and is unique. As I am rediscovering the various leaf flavors I still can't pick out the individual leaves in the blend, but I can say this, for a smoker who just enjoys the flavor of good tobacco this is a good one. I am having a splendid time with Carole's blends.

My advice is this - journey through her offerings and you will have enjoy smoking more than ever.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega

Age When Smoked: some new in the bag, some several months old

Purchased From: Pipeworks and Wilke

Theodore Moore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodore Moore (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Wilke #10 is the wonderful morning or all-day, summer English/Balkan. (Or in this case, should I rather say Balkan/English?) And inasmuch as this is an "easy-going blend," it still surprises in both the taste and aroma department. This is quite an achievement all by itself. This is light, soft, and savory with volumes of smoke. The orientals are top notch and exotic. This definitely reminds me of the old Sabronie White. Carole has carved out a very unique place for herself, if for no other reason, by this blend alone. It defies duplication by all her heavy-handed male counterparts. Move over boys. Well done girl! 3.5 stars out of 4, but only for being a little too lite.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)

In the early spring of '11 I bought a great amber stemed Mer pipe from P&W and they tossed in a sample of #10 with my order. For whatever reason I never got around to trying the sample. Since I had sat it on my desk, I would sniff it from time to time. Great nose hits. While looking for new tobaccos in Tobacco Reviews I stumbled upon #10 and it clicked in the dim bulb of my brain that I had a sample of this stuff just seconds away from a bowlful. I went promply to my desk, loaded a pipe and fired it up. Why, oh why, did I not pay better attention to what had sat front of me for months? Smooth, creamy and relaxing. When Ozzie was sitting in his den, giving sage advise to David and Ricky, this must have been what he was smoking. I will be ordering a pound to cellar before weeks' end. Thank you P&W for the sample. Sorry it took me so long to pay attention. As for the pipe? I expect a lot of value for my dollar and I was rewarded in spades. Thank you P&W.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

#10 is loaded with all kinds of goodies and I liked this one a lot. In some ways it reminded me of the classic Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture. Subtle undertones of exotic Oriental and Turkish leaf combined with a quality Virginia that provided the backbone.

If you enjoy Balkan style blends then #10 would be a good choice for you.

tubehead71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tubehead71 (5)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

I spent my early pipe days at David P. Ehrlich in Boston. They had a blend called 69 that I smoked constantly. Well, the first time I lit up no.10 it was déjà vu all over again. I truly was transported to those college dorm days.(I would imagine smoking a pipe in a dorm these days is grounds for a firing squad). It is exactly what I remember Ehrlich's 69 to be. It is a very rich latakia blend that just gets more tasty as bowl goes on. I have become more of an aromatic smoker these days, but still love the taste of No.10. Carol does a great job!

Dapper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dapper Dan (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first review; I am a novice reviewer, but not a novice smoker... Number 10, I believe, is also called Battenkill Blend in the store in Manchester, Vermont that carries Pipeworks and Wilke. The Virginia is visually apparent in the bag, with light and dark brown, and black tobaccos also. This is lightly cased with something, but I don't have the palette of a gourmand to say what exactly. You can smell a subtle smokiness with a sweet, rather rich, smell predominating. I smoked this in a small clay pipe and a medium briar; I think a bigger bowl would be easier as it has some longish ribbons in it. No. 10 stayed lit well for me, as others pointed out it might require some drying out, which I did. This certainly doesn't have much of a nicotine content, but then again, I'm a cigar smoker too. Have been since Grammy bought me cigars when I was 13... Ahem, sorry. This isn't very strong, but does have a nice, rich taste in the mouth. It actually tastes like tobacco, which for me is important. There was a little bite to this, but not much. Smoke volume was large, which I like. Again, I'm not sure what this is cased with; I could taste something as I smoked it. Overall, I like it a lot and highly recommend it for someone who wants a mild English blend OR an aromatic smoker looking to branch out gradually. Not the most scientific review, but maybe a beginner can get turned on to a good tobacco with it.

Bard of Christ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bard of Christ (9)

Smells like a typical English- or Balkan-style in the pouch. A little like dried dark fruit, and some smokiness. Delicious!

Packing can be a little difficult in smaller bowls due to the length of the cut. Otherwise, packs normally. Burns to a clean, light gray ash with only a few relights (probably more user-error than the tobacco).

Upon lighting, you're struck with a nearly pancake-like richness in the mouth, maybe due to the virginias. This settles down after a bit as the orientals and latakia kick in. The result is a harmonious complexity that has to be experienced!

In the nose, this delightful tobacco has an almost incense-like quality I find engaging. It is not as strong as many English blends, so this may be more of a Balkan. As such, it is emminently suited for all-day smoking, or for those new to English blends.

If I were to compare this to a beverage, it would be a premium Chianti. Not as strong as Cabernet Sauvignon, but richer than Pinot Noir. My favorite English-style blend from a fantastic tobacconist!

bushi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bushi (12)

A wonderful Balkan style blend. The Oriental leaf is in the drivers seat. The Latakia adds it's smokey nature perfectly while the Virginias add a subtle nutty sweet note. I prefer it in a meerschaum however it's good in any type of pipe. Buy by the pound!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (107)

I fully concur with the characterization given by Pipper, above.

I can only add that this makes a good companion to Dunhill's EMP, this being more subtle and fragrant with less punch. Aromatic in the original sense. Orientals can be wonderful when you seek them.

My staple fare tends to be burleys and virginias. This blend is my change of pace, an alternative to sweet. Mr. Pease has company!

Update 11/10 I found a long neglected sealed canning jar of this from 2004. I can no longer compare this to EMP; it's now much better. I would give it 4 stars, but that is unfair for people considering this due to the benefit of aging. Moisture is perfect now. Latakia (Syrian?) is in balance and the sweet spot lasts most of the bowl. (Go large.) Try a sample from Carole, come back for a pound. Stick it in a sealed container and wait a while, you'll be glad you did.

pipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipper (11)

I really like the tobaccos coming out of P&W, and this is no exception. All of their standard line of tobacs are blended just before shipping, and how many places left can say that. Moisture content is perfect. This is a wonderfully tasting tobacco, if you like orientals, and nicely supported with the lemon VA and latakia which do not overpower this blend. The orientals play center stage here, and by a third way down the bowl, the lemon VA and latakia start to develop more fully, but the orientals never leave you. I would classify this as a light, or light medium English and very tasty on my buds. I enjoy this with coffee in the morning, and during the day, as it is light enough to enjoy all day. Because it does not have an overpowering nicotine punch or a full, strong English flavor, (which I enjoy in the evenings), it makes for an excellent summer blend, light, flavorful, most enjoyable, indoors or out. Smokes clean to a dry gray ash with no doodle. It has become one of my favs..

Cantorman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantorman (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

First things first. I love P&W, but it's always WAY too wet and I need to dry it out. Then again, I prefer my pipe tobacco almost bone dry (as opposed to my cigars, which I prefer very moist- whatever). The lemon virginias are OVERWHELMING and I didn't like this tobacco at all at first. So, what to do with 4 oz bag? Mix it! So I added my favorite mixer tobacco, GLP's Falcon, a tobacco I found a little hard for me by itself. The result? A gorgeous balance where the orientals popped out, the reds and dark VA's balanced out the lemons, and the extra latakia just added a nice bottom.