The man of discriminating tastes will appreciate this rare blend of choice American and Oriental leaves, enriched with double-fermented Virginia tobaccos. You can expect this smoking experience to be delicately aromatic, smooth burning and flavorful.

BrandAmphora
2.2
mikebowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mikebowl (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Being the first amphora blend I've ever tasted I was quite impressed it's a very smooth smoke no bite at all. The taste is very subtle but Ut leaves a good room note. I smoke it early in the morning and found it quite enjoyable for the first smoke of the day.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I remember how excited I was when Cesare Borgia came out in, was it the eighties...? I rushed to a tobacco shop here in Holland and enjoyed the first tin very much. It did contain Latakia, I am sure I remember this well. And it cost a pretty penny then, in fact 10 Dutch guilders for a 50 gram tin. But I was a little disappointed by the second tin, I think it contained quite a few stems. So I wrote Douwe Egberts a letter about this and they replied that they would send me a "a suitable compensation" for this. But weeks passed by and nothing happened, so I wrote to them again. Then, some time later the doorbell rang and the postman delivered me a package that contained...10 tins of Cesare Borgia! A day later, he rang again with another small package that contained a further two tins! Later at a pipesmoker's fair, I told this story to a rep from DE and he said that the two tins would indeed be my compensation, but that the ten tins must have been a mix-up of some kind. So, an anecdote rather than a review as this blend is sadly no longer produced.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I remember this blend! It did have an attractive tin, thats why I bought it too. It wasn't a bad smoke, nor was it an exceptional one either. I'd rather smoke Amphora Red anyday compared to this.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

No longer in production (as far as I know), this was one D&E last attempts to revamp the Amphora brand, and became part of an Italian-Renaissance series, with blends named after famous Italian artists or, as it happens, characters.

This is the only Amphora I know of that came in a square tin, very eye- catching (similar, in fact, to many Larens' tobaccos). Nice and smooth, it was a middle of the road English, similar to Davidoff's Royalty or Sullivan & Powell's Gentleman's Mixture. The Turkish and Latakia in CB were used sparingly: enough to give it an English character, but never to the extent of any Dunhill Oriental (not even Early Morning). The predominant flavors were Amphora's typical use of Burleys and Virginias.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

In France, tobacco has been a state monopoly since the time of the Sun King. The bureaucrats import whatever monsieur le ministre decides, and if he don't decide to import NIGHTCAP or ESCUDO, you are out of luck. When I lived there, I could not find ANY of my favourite English blends. As for French-made popular pipe blends of the Caporal and Saferlati sort, beloved by the poilus in the trenches of World War I, I have little doubt that many of France's 5,000,000 casualties in that "war to end all war" were caused by smoking such foul excrement.

[In all fairness, Jeanne Calment, 1875-1997, the oldest woman in the world at the time of her passing, smoked Caporal shag until age 120, in 1995, and her doctor said her abstinence was due to pride rather than health?she was too blind to light up herself, and hated asking others to do it for her.]

In desperation, I tried many things, including this blend. The étui-type tin, in a star-studded metallic calipso-blue finish, with Raphael's famous portrait of Pope Alexander IV's bastard, Cesare Borgia, on the cover (His Holiness' other love child was Cesare's deadly-beautiful sister Lucrezia Borgia, the famous poisoner) is very handsome. The tobacco, pungent in that Amphora way, was quite pleasant too: mild, but building to unexpected intensity. I am surprised to find that it had no latakia in it at all.

The fact that it is no longer in production is not, I'll say, any great loss. But it wasn't unpleasant, and I am delighted to have the sumptuous tin.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

what can I say? I'm a sucker for a nice tin!!! This tin has got to be the nicest I have ever seen. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the tobacco. I got this recently off of e-bay, and have no idea how old it is. I do know it has been out of production for some time. The contents are basically an oriental aromatic sans any Latakia. The flavor is predominantly fig pudding too me. That said the casing is unique and I've never tasted anything quite like it. It burns very cool as well. Alas, it just doesn't do it for me. But the tin will look very nice in my collection indeed!