Medium strength flake tobacco. Blended from the finest virginia and burleys.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringFloral Essences
Packaging50g Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been enjoying GH offerings as of late (Brown Flake Unscented & Scented, and Rum Flake). I now decided on Best Brown #2. Packed in the typical GH way in the plastic baggie, folded neatly and inserted into the tin. Moisture content was good and not overly moist as with SG tobaccos. Initial tin aroma had no soap smell whatsoever. The tobacco smelled like yeast/unbaked bread and with deep sniffing something I was familiar with but couldn't quite describe. It was not floral in any way. At times it reminded me of a ginger snap cookie, but I'm not sure if what I was smelling was actually ginger. What ever it was, I did like it. There was no pre-light taste detected on the draw. I rubbed it up a bit and it loaded easily. Lighting was no problem and only required a few re-lights along the way due to its freshness. Overall the smoke was very smooth. The Virginias made themselves known but in a subtle, spicy way. There was no taste of the typical Lakeland soap or florals in this one. I would have to say that this is one of the most balanced Virginia/Burley blends I have ever smoked. It was sweet in a natural way, not cloying, but good Va sweetness, and had no bitterness whatsoever. It never burned hot regardless of my puffing cadence. There was no moisture/gurgling issues. Just a clean, smooth tobacco taste with that hint of that Virginia spice throughout. The Burleys were not at all harsh and there were no throat issues either. It is milder than their Brown Flake Unscented - not as full bodied - but also different in taste profile as well. This, for me, is a set it and forget it smoke that is enjoyable from first puff to the last. A well put together flake and one I could smoke more than one bowl a day, each and every day. Much preferred over SGs Brown Flake by way of comparison. My experience is GH smokes are smooth and SG smokes are rough. Highly recommended!

UPDATE 3-25-13: Flakes are drying out nicely in the tin/bag they were packed in. Sniffing reveals a real nice depth in the aroma. Deep like licorice -and in combo with a subtle hint of molasses. Translates into the taste very nicely, too!

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow, from reading the previous reviews, this is one highly controversial pipe tobacco! I almost wonder if the quality control at GH could be causing such a wide gap in takes on the added flavoring? Inconsistencies during processing maybe? I can't believe everyone is tasting the same tobacco with such wide gaps in opinions on strength of flavoring, etc... My tin smelled more like a sweet iced tea with lemon! None of the Lakeland type essence as in Ennerdale Flake.

At any rate, I found this tobacco to be highly pleasant, sweet and medium bodied. Very cool burning, no bite at all, and great to the bottom of the bowl. Very consistent throughout, satisfying, and a solid three star blend for me. I really like the stuff, and don't get any of the Lakeland flavor many have mentioned. Slightly sweet rum in the taste, with a tin aroma of sweet iced tea with lemon. Who knows!

Pipe Used: Large bowl Nording briar

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

First up, yes, there is some sort of essence used in this. However, I don't believe it is any sort of floral or herbal essence or combination of them, so I wouldn't really call this a 'Lakeland' in the sense that Grasmere (foral) or Ennerdale (floral & herbal) are. Looking over all the comments, I wonder is the idea of it being a light rum might not be correct. I also wonder if most GH base tobaccos aren't produced in some way that give some smokers a mouthfeel that they identify as 'soapy' even when there aren't any extra flavors added. (Or perhaps I am just too used to Lakelands now.)

In any event, this is a nice slow-burning flake, the combination of VA, Burley, and whatever flavor it might be making it a somewhat complex easy-smoking mixture.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 6;

After Taste = 6;

Raw Score = 36;

Rated Percentage = 60%;

Comment = Smooth, Very Strong, has the Famous Lakeland Floral Flavor, Wife complained about the nasty Aroma. You have heard the old saying “Go smell the roses”, well this is you chance to “Go smoke the roses”. Some people report that they actually like the Lakeland Floral Flavor, but my guess is most people are going to hate this Blend. I was very disappointed with this Gawith Hoggarth & Co. best seller.

nesta Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nesta (8)

This is my very favorite tobacco, and I've identified it as such for quite a while. However, I haven't reviewed it here, and I suppose I have a good bit to say about it.

I am smoking a bowl of this right now. Probably the fourth bowl of the stuff today, maybe only the third. I did smoke a bowl of Kendal Dark earlier today, another favorite of mine. The past two days I smoked nothing at all except for Best Brown #2. Why? I wanted to get reacquainted with it. I wanted to get to know it better. I think I have, and while I don't think I can write a review to do it justice, I can express my take on it.

This was the first GH tobacco I ever smoked, and I certainly didn't know what to expect. At first I found it overwhelmingly flavored, with a bizarre, highly floral and perfumed taste. I had never had anything like it before! Now as I sit here smoking it, I have to really concentrate to get any floral notes. Did they disappear? I don't think so. I just got used to them. I think that for those who haven't allowed themselves to become accustomed to floral tobaccos, the bizarre novelty of this blend may exaggerate the matter. It certainly eclipsed any tobacco flavor for me at first. But it is, in fact, applied conservatively and I now have to work to find it in the flavor.

This is rather sweet but never cloying. It has a solid tobacco backbone and is medium in strength; mild enough to accompany the morning coffee or tea, strong enough to satisfy after a big meal or at the end of the day. It is slightly fruity, and very slightly spicy - I think I get a hint of clove. There is something floral going on here, but the more I smoke it the less I taste it and the more I find what I consider the true character of the blend. This comes both tinned and loose, and I've had both. They taste the same, but in my experience the tinned flakes are thinner and easier to work with. I'm smoking from a 500g package I bought, though, not the 50g tin. For me this burns cool and with minimal relights when rubbed out and allowed to dry slightly, but not bone dry. If dried to a crisp it can get bitey when pushed - otherwise I've never gotten any tongue bite from this blend.

I highly recommend this, and it is a favorite of mine. I recommend trying it, with the caveat that it is not at all "for everybody." But if it suits your tastes, it may just be the perfect all day smoke for you. It is for me.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Best Brown. #2 … Once you get by the third world tin presentation, you will be rewarded with a smooth, mild and bite free smoke, with outstanding burn characteristics, complimented with a unique mild bar soap, aroma and taste, with few familiar Virginia flavors present. After so many years of smoking the likes of McClelland, C/D and a splash of Danish Virginias, I have come to expect a certain flavor profile from my Virginias, not found in this blend, this stuff is to strange for my taste.

But in all fairness, just because I don't like anchovies on my pizza, does not mean you won't, some love it that way, and some will love Best Brown #2, just not me. Guess there right, you can't teach an old dog anything new.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great lakeland flake. It is the epitome of English tradition. I've always said that the flavor of anything can be reduced to terms that carry negative connotation. McClelland flavor to Ketchup, Lakeland to soap and flowers, etc. The problem with this is that our tongues can only detect a limited number of flavors, and we can reduce anything down to a common term such as "ketchup" or whatever. Someone can say that a delicate Merlot tastes like "grape kool-aid with too little sugar added" if they seek to "reduce to absurdity", if you will. Ignoring the subtle delicacies that play upon our palate to "sweet", "sour", "bitter", ignores the subtle combinations.

I wonder how Lakeland was described before the masses had "dove" soap, or whatever folks are calling the Lakeland flavor these days. Most people in the 1800's didn't know what modern day soap tastes or smells like ... especially men. To these populations, this Lakeland tobacco was probably described as having a "buttery" flavor married with a "blackberry wine". Perhaps our modern day industrial society has produced so many artificial flavors along with condiments with preservatives that we begin to identify everything we taste by common foods, condiments, and toiletries that are mass produced.

If we want to reduce what would otherwise be experienced as enjoyable flavors in our wines, tobaccos, teas, etc. Then we may be missing something. I've heard those with developed palates say of many things, "you have to develop a taste for it". Caviar is one such experience (though I never have developed a taste for sturgeon eggs... salmon .. sure.. but not black or green caviar). "Bitter" is another "developed taste" (English beer .. heavy on the hops). What if someone said that John Adams beer tastes like raw Kale? Would that be accurate?

I won't say BB#2 it tastes like soap and flowers. Instead I'll say that It renders subtle flavors of blackberry and buttered brandy. The nutty flavor of Burly comes through and Burly is further tamed by the Lakeland flavor. The Virginia offers a subtle and natural sweetness.

For those of you who don't enjoy a "full-on" Lakeland flavor, aging takes the Lakeland down considerably. After a year, The Lakeland is better than half of what it was when fresh. Also, the Virginia comes through better over the Burly. Be sure to dry it a bit before smoking (I fill my bowls the night before smoking).

For those who don't want any flavor at all ... try the G&H Best Brown Unscented.

One final note: The Lakeland flavor/aroma is something for which you have to develop a taste. :-) 3 stars

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)

This GH offering is far superior to SGs Best Brown and a more exciting melange of virginia and burley flavours. Try as you might, there is no bite with this one - under any circumstances.

Wonderful 'tang' and natural sweetness with no toppings and a reasonable nicotine injection. Could suit as an all-day smoke, but I prefer as an evening smoke when relaxing and have the time to nose the full flavours.

Bought this one loose and in bulk and it needs some drying. Top grade stuff and definetely recommended.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good tobacco quality but unfortunately the taste is extremely soapy for my liking, I simply cant enjoy the lakeland soapiness.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (76)

This is a great medium bodied smoke. The flavor is slightly sweet & spicy with a prominent tangy quality to it. There is an added top dressing but I really had to search for it and when compared to most other G&H offerings, it is very subdued. The flavoring is listed as “floral essences” but I get more of a honeyed-citrus scent with just a smidgen of a nondescript floral note. Regardless, this blend is a superb VA Burley concoction with nice flavor and exceptional balance. It also burns wonderfully. As the flavors develop, I get hints of a grassy oat-like flavor along with a spiciness that gradually builds adding a bit of welcomed strength & complexity.

Very flavorful, high quality, cool smoking and about the most straight-forward natural tasting tobacco of the G&H flakes I have tried. Excellent stuff.

Pipe Used: Briar, but mostly cob

Age When Smoked: 3

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Some folks adore the Lakeland essence, I for one abhor it. And really I should've anticipated as much. Mind you the tin was a gift from a well intentioned gift/contribution from a newer member of our garage pipe/cigar/homebrew club. He's still apprenticing in the dark arts of briar lore.

Overall an okay smoke which occasionally peeps out from the casing, if you concentrate.

I don't care for the heavy ghost in the pipe for about 5 bowls or so, and the Sunlight detergent thing does not float my boat at all. Anyway, one of the other chaps liked it a tad more than the rest of us so he adopted the tin; thankfully.

joeljcj2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeljcj2 (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

i am currently smoking from a 500g bulk box of gh-bb2 which i sealed 2 yrs ago. it is quite wonderful. mild and gentle, smoothed out nicely by burley,nice fresh virginia taste, chocolate? a wee bit lakeland-floral but not excessive. i usually smoke sam gawith best brown, and this is more different than i had remembered---more floral certainly, maybe even smoother. it burns beautifully, cool right down to a fine white powder. i do not taste either perique or any latakia or that family.... no spice. it is remarkably consistent from the start right now to the dottle. ( eh- a little sharp at the dottle but what isn't?). this makes a fine tobacco when aged like this. i wish i had aged more of it.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

The Lakeland essence is present, but not as much as the floral, herbal taste that tends to dominate the burley and Virginias all too often. You do get a light nuttiness, some sweetness, and a bit of earth and grass from the components. This is top quality tobacco that pleases, even more so if you dry it out a little, though that seems to strengthen the vegetative taste somewhat. I don't smoke it regularly, but when I do, I find it to be a good outdoor smoke that goes well with coffee. If you have a taste for this kind of blend, it'll be more of a regular smoke than the stronger versions will allow.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm with my Engish friend who say's he's never found a soap that smells like tobacco. I too get tired of hearing "soapy taste".But I guess if that is what it tastes like to you...very well then. This is very fine tobacco that I think doesn't get enough respect. Do you like Stonehaven? Well here you are! Just with an almond and floral essence that makes it even more delectable. Smooth, mild, nutty,sweet and well rounded. This tobacco can be an all day smoke. Goes great with a coffee.

internurd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
internurd (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have tried every Gawith Hogarth blend and I have settled on this as the most "reliable". I keep going back to it. Our American friends detect soap in some of these blends - I have never found a soap that smells like a Gawith Hogarth tobacco, or vice-versa,just wonderful aromas of floral and almond and so on in the tobaccos. There should be a separate website to discuss American soap, I would like to sample some and see if it smells like a pipe tobacco! (Pipe smoker of ten years), age 61. Available in UK in specialist shops only, my nearest is 20 miles away in Durham City, or I buy from many retailers on the internet.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

My first experience with anything Gawith and I am impressed. In fact, I don't think I have finished any tin as quick as the 50g I purchased from P&C. I will definitely need to buy much more and in bulk.

As to Lakeland/floral/soapy, there is back and forth as to whether this blend contains any. I am by no means an expert, but I must add that I tasted something that defintely resembled what I frequently see described as Lakeland essence. I enjoyed it and noticed a lot of floral scents in soaps and perfumes that reminded me of it.

I am anxious to immerse myself in Gawith and think I will start with an order today.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Lakeland in BB#2 ? I think not my friend, or so very little as to be undetected by me. Nope, all I get is a pleasant Burley Virginia smoke of medium strength. no bite

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

All in all, not a bad tobacco. It is presented in nice dark flakes with a light floral note in the tin. Upon smoking, the light floral note comes through which I rather liked. My biggest complaint is that the flavor just isn't bold enough for me and becomes boring after awhile. Other than that it is a decent flake deserving two and a half stars in my book.

Soli Deo gloria!

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)

I really do not understand some of the reviewers complaining about the floral and soapiness. This blend does not have that at all.

This is just a great old fashioned Burley and Virginia flake. In my opinion the sweetness is merely from the high quality Virginia used and not a topping.

No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Rub it out, let it dry some and smoke it.

Highly recommended.

Perique Freak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique Freak (3)

The current unavailability of Samuel Gawith flakes, my favorites, has sent me on a tour of Gawith & Hoggarth tobaccos. Since all my old English favorites from the last century (Rattray's et al.) have moved to the continent and been changed beyond recognition, I try to smoke only tobaccos actually manufactured in Britain. At first I was put off by the descriptions (floral notes, soapy aroma, etc.), but I decided to give them a try. Maybe I've gotten accustomed to the tastes now, and in any case I'm sticking to the ones that are not listed with lots of added flavors, but I'm finding them to be excellent tobaccos. My favorite so far is this Best Brown #2. This is a bit of a surprise to me, because I normally don't like Burley, but here it adds some depth to the smoke, and perfectly balances the sharpness of the Virginia. As with Sam Gawith's products, the quality of the leaf is superb. The initial hit of floral note on light-up quickly dissipates, and the flake burns slowly and coolly down to the end. For my taste, these flakes were made for corncobs, and it's made me rediscover the virtues of corncobs. The moisture content is perfect for me straight from the baggie, and I just fold and stuff the flakes right in.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Hey man this dark brown flake is really satisying to me and nice nicotine hit with out being intestinally challenging. After I got the tin opened I stuck my nose in the bag and received a good hearty burley kind of aroma. I rubbed out the flake and found the moisture level just right for lighting immediately with out needing to let it dry some. I did put the remaining flakes into a jar as the tin didin't seem to keep a tight enough closure.

I have to say this is a classy blend. Not too heavy but nice enough for that late just before retiring smoke. A strong THREE star rating for sure.

8/27/2010: In my previous review I was noting on BB#2 from a tin. Today I want to say the I just recieved BB#2 in bulk. Upon opening my package I immediately broke up some of the flake and had a smoke right away as I was seriously anticipating having BB#2 around again. I was treated with a nice full wholesome smoke and what surprised me is that the taste and room note reminded me of a sample of McQuaid Plug! Now I don't want to steer anyone away from this blend by mentioning that it only 'reminded' me of a plug tobacco. I know that there are people that shy away from plug at just the idea of it. This is ONLY my humble untrained observation. BB#2 is a great blend and I recommend it to anyone who indulges in briar. Also I feel it necessary to say that just becasue it reminded me of plug it did not leave a ghost in my pipe. I fired 'er up in my large bowl Nording pipe only a couple months old and it faired very well. I'm going to give the bulk BB#2 a FOUR STAR t this point!

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

I'd give this four stars except I get some tongue bite from it. It is definitely lighter than FVF, definitely a bit more interesting than BBF in terms of additional Lakeland flavors but lighter in body than BBF. Nice stuff, but I prefer Brown Flake Unscented which seems to have a bit more oomph.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I love the taste of a good virginia, but usually can't smoke them because they bite me so badly. This one is tolerable, if I take it very slow. It reminds me of Rum Flake, but it obviously has a higher virginia content as it burns a good deal hotter.

This definitely does have a light floral topping, but is the lightest I have experienced in this genre. If this is too heavy for you, don't smoke lakelands.

I gently puff this in grp 5 bowls, rubbed out just a bit, and it is creamy and smooth, always wanting to follow up with another bowl. If I have any criticism, it would be it lacks a heavy nicotine hit.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

What is it with folks who persist in writing reviews on blends of tobacco they clearly know at the outset they will not like. I have no problems with an objective critique...but when you get comments which run like I don't like Lakelands and this is a typical example and then give it 1 star, kinda negates the whole reason for these pages in the first place. If you do not like a genre, then fine, leave it alone and don't rubbish it on TR. Try the varities you do like and write about how you compare them. That way we all learn something :-)

Looking at the sensible reviews for Best Brown no.2 then, it would appear that there are two utterly different flakes masquerading under the same name!

The Best Brown no.2 that I know is a gentle sweet, slightly rummy and completely delicous flake somewhat reminiscent of its cousin Rum Flake but NOTHING like the Lakeland Florals that some of our friends here seem to be having problems with. Juna Gu is a case in point and to my mind the poor lad's not actually had Best Brown no.2 to review. I agree with him that the Lakeland florals are a difficult genre for some to come to terms with in order to extract the yummy tobacco flavours, but I promise him and the rest of you that BB no.2 is definitely NOT a Lakeland Floral...its a gentle sweet and fresh buttery flavoured flake. Anyone who gets the Lakeland Floral has been sold the wrong baccy.

So my friends....read the reviews that match creamy, sweet, buttery flavours and you'll be reading about BB no.2. The others are I know not wot :-)

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought this and some Ennerdale Flake at the same time. Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong. I just cannot get into them. This one I like the best of the two. My local tobacconist stocks G&H and not a lot else but I couldn't find any of the ones on this site that get good reviews, they only seem to stock a weird bunch of horrible looking/sounding ones (Peaches and Cream?!). I'm not into aromatics, so I eventually persuaded them to get in some Best Brown #2 and I was the first into the 500g box (and it said Best Brown #2 on the box in the same kind of design as the tin shown above). It took a week to dry this out to acceptable levels. Fresh out of the box it is sooo pungent!! Like a bottle of HP sauce or something. And that didn't even begin to quieten down until at least 10 days of being in a tin on a radiator and even then it was still a strong smell and I just cannot believe that there is not casing involved here (hence Strong Flavouring). And again it seems just a little contrived or artificial to me. This was doubly so when I actually tried to smoke the stuff, especially without any drying, the wet runoff from the pipe which I inadvertently tasted (a lot of moisture) tasted so chemically and ridiculously sweet that I just cannot believe it is just from tobacco. Maybe I'm wrong. And as for no tongue bite?! I couldn't get it to stop biting no matter how slowly I took it. At the very end of my packet after 2 weeks I got a couple of decent smokes out of it, so I guess that it really needs some cellaring and drying to get the best out of it, but then it loses a lot of it's weight - I noticed that it didn't last very long; a lot less time than my Samual Gawiths FVF. Kept leaving me with a soured and ruined pallete every time. I didn't get on with it. However I may try again, maybe when the tub is nearly empty at the tobacconists and the stuff has had time to sit a bit.

UPDATE: 1st May 2010 So, I bought some more from the same batch that I tried first, after it had been sat on the shelf for 5 months and I am glad I did, as now the flake is much drier and the casing much more in the background. Smokes very well, no bite anymore and a good flavour.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

if I get it I smoke it! I love brown virginia flake tobaccos and this one is a good example how different people smoking the same tobacco might taste it´s amplitude. There is a long story with lakeland tobaccos due to flavouring, meaning this is all about soap. This is rubbish and shows to me that most of the pipesmokers don´t even take their time to smoke a good bowl with excitement and slowly. If they do, they might taste that what they think to be soapy might become a taste made of hay and flowers. Especially #2 is a good example of rich tobacco. I would not mind if most of the reviewers downgrade a bad tobacco because of its taste, but I don´t accept it with this one. It is not a question of good and bad, it is just the taste question which starts the argumentation, but it still is a tobacco of high quality. It has a medium strength an is not a nicotine bomb, but you get a good quantity of this stuff right away. I recommend it to all pipesmokers who are fond of tobacco at first and who are anxious and willing to even taste more different aromas than the sweet danish type.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Update 8/10/11 This is the second of the six samples I picked up on a recent trip. I'm only changing the taste rating, up to Medium. I want to reiterate that the tin aroma here is the best I've ever smelled. I know that seems like judging a book by its cover. But I can't get over that. The taste varies a lot, and I can never get a handle on it. This one is not amazing in any particular way, but it gets under your skin.

Original Review 6/25/08 This is my fourth stop on the Lakeland tour.

First, some interesting differences between this flake (and I presume all G&H flakes) and Samuel Gawith flakes. BB2 came in flakes that were much more consistent in thickness, etc. than the SG flakes so far. Also, the texture/consistency was more brittle or flaky, whereas SG flakes are more, say, leathery. Perhaps because of this, BB2 dried out much faster. Finally, I got more smokes out of BB2, about 20, than the SG flakes (15 or so). We'll see if these differences hold when I smoke Rum Flake later.

When I opened this tin, I was greeted by the best tin aroma I have ever smelled. I just couldn't keep my nose out of it. I took one flake out, rubbed it out and dried it for maybe 30 minutes, loaded it and fired it up. At that time the flavor and aroma was very sweet, with notes of rum, licorice, chocolate, and such. I wondered if I had gotten Rum Flake or Bob's Chocolate by mistake. Even when still a bit wet, this is still a nice smoke.

Sometimes I would smoke this for about 15 minutes, then leave the pipe smoldering for 20 minutes, and then relight. Those were the best smokes. The burley flavor came through very well, salty and earthy.

Toward the end of the tin, this became salty and vegetal in flavor, with perhaps a bit of spiciness. Not great but still good.

Very consistent and user-friendly, this one, also in comparison to the SG flakes. However, I don't mind some trouble and for my money I'll still smoke BBF and FVF. If I were looking for a bargain, all-day smoke, I'd buy this by the pound.

Greybeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greybeard (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Reading through the previous review notes I am amazed at the inconsistancy of some of the observations and ratings on this very good blend.

Some reviewers are too ready to stigmatise all G&H blends as being floral.This is certainly not the case here, or I am smoking a different blend!!

I have been smoking Best Brown #2 for several years now, I find it a great mild smoke,it is one of my everyday regulars.Easy to rub out and takes a light almost immediately without too much fuss.

I have no hesitation in giving it four stars and a highly recommended.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My stock of Best Brown #2 is now nearly two years old and I visited it again recently. I'm so glad that I did! The Germolene-antiseptic cream scent is much milder, to the extent that if a pipe is packed and left for an hour before lighting it is hard to notice. The tobacco now has a rich 'tang' on the tongue and palate without much tendency to bite. Truly delicious!

Edit 13 June 09: This flake continues to grow in my estimation. Rich, strong tobacco with just the combination of flavours and scents that make the whole process worthwhile. It is one of the few tobaccos that would make me happy if I could have no other for the rest of my days.

This blend is definitiely a classic G&H blend.

Appearance and Tin Aroma: It looks like a fine stoved VA flake, smells like one too, but also smells like a fine English style tea!

Packing and Lighting: It comes in a rectangular tin and is in a plastic bag within the tin. It is pretty moist upon opening. I recommend rubbing out a bowlfull and letting dry out a bit before packing. Once dried out a little, 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Classic Lakeland flavor, but restrained compared to the other offerrings by the same blender. Cool, but flavorful.

Mid-Bowl: The scenting does not build up in strength, the Va is in the forefront, the Burley is for body, sometimes I get a flavor hint from it. Round, mellow, gets ino the zone easily.

Bottom of Bowl: Strength does not build up too much, this is definitely a all-day medium blend. Ends with a dry, fluffy-grey ash. Leaves a clean taste in your mouth, not sooty at all.

Overall: This is a classic scented VA/Burley flake. Not something I smoke regularly, but will keep on hand for an ocaisional treat. This will flavor your briar, you have been warned! I have pipes dedicated for Light, Medium, and Full scented blends. This one falls into the "light-scented" category. Give it a try, it is a high quality offering from master blenders G&H, enjoy...

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

I've had two of these tins stashed away for two years now and thought it was time to sample one. I don't know what some of the other reviewers were sampling, but I find very little of the typical odors or toppings that can be associated with G & H or SG tobaccos. Also, this is much better than Brown Flake in my opinion. A delicate flake that needs little rubbing out and very little airing. The burn was perfect and the taste was incredible. Sweet, sugary with good body, and I mean sweet from good Virginia tobaccos, very minimal from toppings. I've been rotating Cairo and King Eider lately and BB#2 is a nice change of pace

tavancleave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tavancleave (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I decided to try a tin of Best Brown #2 because it looked lonely on the shelf at the store. I recalled seeing the tin a number of times so I decided that I would give the good old college try. (I'm still a Master's Candidate.) In the car on the way home I opened the tin so I could smell my investment. To my suprise it smelled like soap and flowers. After I got home I loaded up my Large Ben Wade and started smoking. The tobacco burned well and did not bite my tongue. From beginning to the end it tasted like soap and flowers. I was dissapointed but I wasn't ready to give up on it yet so I threw it in the car based on a suggestion of Steve Monjure and other well seasoned pipe smokers. After spending about a week in the car I tried it again. The soap and flowers taste had become a side note to the delicious tobacco.

It's worth a shot but beware the soap and flower taste will be in your pipe for the next 5 or 6 bowls.

Taste buds love it....your pipe will pay.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is fine quality tobacco in easy to handle, very thin flakes.

Good lighting and burning characteristics, perhaps better in this regard than Germain's Brown Flake (which tends to burn moist and require frequent flickers) and Samuel Gawith's Best Brown (my favorite in this genre).

It is also easy to get copious flavor from gentle puffing. This is not always true for McClelland and Rattray Virginia Flakes.

I do not like the flavor additives common to Lakeland tobacco, which are frequently compared to perfume, potpourri, and air freshener. I found the hard to identify aromatics present with Best Brown #2. I just could not shake the taste of the fragrance and get to solid tobacco notes.

I enjoyed it best when another pipster smoked it while I abstained. The side stream aroma smelled like well-fermented, aged tobacco.

Along with Bob's Chocolate Flake and Rum Flake, BB2 will be donated to a friend. A tin of Balkan Mixture awaits my fiery trial. Since several local tobacconist stock G&H, I hope I find a blend to please.

port_and_pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
port_and_pipes (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I suspect the previous reviewer ended up with one of this flake's topped cousins. Best Brown #2 is most definitely an unscented offering from G&H, in my opinion any lingering odours are from packaging and not from the making of this fine virigina flake.

Admittedly, there are more complex VA offerings out there, there are stronger, there are sweeter, but for BB#2 has the right combination of a good strong flavour, reliable burning and taste characteristics and it's not too strong, sweet or anything else.

If I want a light, sweet VA flake I'll go to McConnell's Scottish Flake or Glengarry Flake. If I want something that's dark and strong in the way of VA I'll turn to one of the ropes maybe. But if I want something I can puff away on when out walking in the daytime (my favourite time to smoke flakes - just stuff them in the bowl and the breeze and the slow-burning characteristics of un-rubbed flake cancel each other out) and enjoy a reliable and consistent smoke.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Back to my "Gawith" run. After taking a short break from all the Gawith blends I have smoking and trying over the past several months, I decided to start back with this particular blend as a first time try.

Well, I was delighted. I grabbed a tin of this to try on a three-hour car ride to Connecticut to visit family over the weekend. What a nice trip down and back!

Easy pack in a old Charatan favorite, a couple of false-lights and tamps and I was off to some excellent, mesmerizing downtime.

The taste runs consistent the length of the bowl. It is a wonderful sweet, (throughout the background), smoke, creamy in texture and it burns to a coarse grey-white ash.

If I have any complaints, it is a tad moist when first opened. Next time I will air it out a little bit before smoking.

A very satisfying experience, highly recommend.

Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Finally! I have been waiting for some time to be able to review this tobacco and the wait is over. This is an incredible tobaccco from G&H. Rum flake is an all time favorite. They pulled off using a buttery rich burley to tame a nice sugary VA better than any others so far. Now I love the casing used in Rum Flake ( Maple sugar, rum, and a light smattering of the Lakeland florals in the bvack ground). But sometimes it seemed a bit too sweet. Enter Best Brown #2. This phenomenal flake is almost identical to Rum Flake minus the sweet topping. It's got the same musty richness with absolutely no tongue bite. This could be an all dayer for sure! It seems to smoke better in a larger bowl. The ending isn't real intense and it smokes all the way down to a dry ash. The Lakeland floral perfume is lightly used here, and you either love it or hate it. This flake does need some drying out time. A winner!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)

I rubbed out a flake and filled my pipe. At first light I thought of Mixture 79, Bond Street and Field and Stream. But the casing was far less pronounced than the aforementioned blends. I could taste the quality of the tobaccos that the other blends lacked. Each successive bowl tasted less and less of the floral Lakeland essence. I started to enjoy the taste and the new experience. Nesta's review sums up this blend better than I can. This is a wonderful aromatic that satisfies with a medium strength. The nicotine level is not over the top and I am glad that I did not give up on this blend after the first bowl. Burns cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl. It's good to broaden your horizons every so often.

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (13)

An interesting flake, this offering! Sadly, at first, the tin was unsealed - I verify each tin individually upon receiving my tobacco orders - but it was not dry. So I believe my impressions will be accurate. BB # 2 reminds me a bit of the Drum RYO in terms of aroma, but with the sweetness much more up front and the spiciness very faint. I detect no Lakeland aroma whatsoever, this tobacco does not seem to have even a mini topping. This is confirmed at the lighting up, combustion and characteristics of the ashes stages. The burning is even, the tobacco slightly sweet with a definitive tobacco flavour. BB # 2 is not complex, but it is still a good tobacco. The nicotine level is lower than Ennerdale Flake.

If you're in the mood for a nice pure tobacco flavour moment, this one could be for you.

Pipe Used: Morta, Ropp and Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Freshly purchased

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Best Brown #2 doesn’t offer the strong aromatic scents of many of the other Lake District blends. But that’s not to say that it isn’t noticeable. But I would disagree with those that say this has strong or overpowering Lakeland flavors. The only way that would be the case would be if the other Lakeland style blends haven’t been explored by that person. Although I still would recommend a pipe dedicated to Lakelands. The flavor offers a bit of brown sugar along with the light Lakeland flavor. As others have noted, there isn’t much of the usual floral or soapy flavor, but something I can’t put my finger on. The Virginias are of good quality and the burley adds a nice backbone to the blend. I like it new, and I have smoked it up to about three years old and prefer it aged. I prefer to cut it into small pieces as that offers the best flavor for me. There is a bit of strength here too, but not as much as other blends in this genre. I would put it more at the medium level. As mentioned, BB2 cellars very well too. On a tip from a well-known blender, I have also tried it with just a pinch of Latakia and it makes for a totally different, but satisfying blend too.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Pipes and Cigars.

Burner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burner (8)

This is a fine Virginia burley flake with a subtle hint of Lakeland flavouring. I cannot understand the people who give this wonderful tobacco a one star review simply because they don't like Lakeland flavouring – Which in this is so subtle as to make it scarcely noticeable. Simply saying I don't like it is only a review of your personal proclivities not the tobacco itself. This is a solid three star blend which smokes cool and without bite, steamtrain puffing not withstanding. The Virginia base is rounded out nicely by the burley and the medium nicotine level combined with the luxurious texture of the smoke never fails to satisfy. If VABUR's are your thing and you aren't prejudiced against the merest hint of Lakeland flavouring, like some of the Pavlovian one star reviewers here, you will love this stuff.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lakeland flavour is disgusting. What a bad idea to buy GH tobacco tins, this is the second one I must give away after the Rum Flake.

Vladlon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vladlon (6)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

So far not so good - hot burning (burley?), not so pleasant aroma...maybe this is a pipe, but i didn't think so....still keep trying...

Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

look, I don't like "Lakeland Floral" and this has it. The tobacco is of good quality but in my opinion is ruined by the "soap" flavor. I admit that the "LF" is very light, but even when I eat one piece of caviar it still tastes like rotten fish to me!

The G&H Lakeland tour continues, and continues to impress!

Nice even brown appearance in the (2 oz) baggie. Just a faint whiff of what has become to be known as "Lakeland florals" but I would regard this as a mostly unscented tobacco. Very similar to my tastebuds to the Brown Flake Unscented that I just smoked but unfortunately, I didn't do a side-by-side comparison. Tasting notes indicate that the BFU was more earthy and rough, perhaps from a higher concentration of burley. This one was creamier - an almost buttery finish to the taste. Milder, but still with a decently robust flavor. Since I've ordered pounds of both, I'll be able to compare them and update this review. As it stands, this seems to be the one to recommend to someone that found DFU just a bit unruly and feisty. BB #2 is a slightly tamer version, without the taste suffering.

G&H flakes are without peer. If you want to try one without a lot of the extra flavors/scents they put in their blends but still want one that is mild, here is a good start.

frankluke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
frankluke (17)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

this is the only lakeland flake that i enjoy, i guess cause i don't get the soapy aftertaste from best brown #2. this blend is very much like rum flake only less soapy and much easier to dry out.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)

I smoked this for the first time from a bulk package over a year old. Moisture level was perfect, it rubbed out nicely. The soapy taste is present especially at first, not in a bad way. Midbowl that is reduced. I usually smoke unflavored virginias but found this a very nice change without getting into aromatics. I can see where this could be an all day smoke for people who like a medium bodied Va. The tobacco flavor is predominant throughout making it a good change of pace or crossover for aromatic smokers.

smoke'n joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke'n joe (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I must agree that this tobacco can taste like both soap and flowers, but there is a way to make it very delicious.

I first tried this tobacco a few months ago when my buddy came to visit me from Knoxville. (we like to share our tobacco findings) Anyway, when I tried this blend the first time I was in love with it. I must admit that I was suffering from a few libations, but never the less this was a great smoke with only a hint of something "Zesty" in it. In fact, I thought it was so great that I purchased a pound of it, which is a big investment for me as I normally favor Latakia blends. Upon recieveing my order I jumped right into my pound of beautifully cut leaf and started smoking. WOW! It tastes like someone just jammed a bar of Dove in my mouth and then lit it on fire. It did burn well, but this is not the tobacco that I remember.

Upon talking to my friend again he told me that he let his tin age in his car under the sun, in effect restoving the tobacco. Being as I didn't want to waste a pound of tobacco I figured I would try something. I placed all of the tobacco in a glass jar, covered it up and threw it into the oven at aboout 175 degrees for about 2 hours. After that I took the lid off and left it in for about another 10 minutes to get rid of some of the moisture. The next day... WOW AGAIN! This tobacco rocks! The soap and flowers taste is almost nonexistant, and the natural tobacco taste was great.

The only reason that I don't rate this tobacco higher is because before it was restoved it made me feel like I was going to vomit daffodils and dove. But if you're into tobacco chemestry give it a try.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)

This basically tastes like Bob?s Chocolate Flake sans the chocolate (though Bob purports to add a dash of latakia to his flake). A nice Virginia/Burley flake, but with a fairly strong ?floral? or soapy taste that I just don?t care for. For those who like flakes and don?t mind the soapiness, I?m sure this will be enjoyable. Might also be a good introduction to natural flakes for those who prefer light aromatics.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had to wait several weeks and try a several times for this new blend to be posted, and other reviewers have beat me to a punch. Nevermind, after two full tins in a large bent Don Carlos, this is a good, trusty, but full Lakeland flake, almost all natural in my book.

I too like G&H flakes, including Brown Flake and Rum Flake. Best Brown no. 2 is very close to G&H's Brown flake (unscented) in my book, but not quite as robust in my opinion. Don't confuse the two, as some have. I don't really compare it much at all to the floral scented flakes (Ennerdale, Brown flake aromatic, or SG Best Brown, etc.), which have varying degrees of extra sweetness added.

This is just a tad, and I mean tad lighter than the full bodied G&H's Brown flake. It may have more portion of virginia than burley than in Brown flake, and has just a hint of sweetness more so.

Overall it starts creamy, builds by mid-bowl to full, and ends nice and round-like. Its sweetness may be just from the sweet virginias added. Any scenting is musty and minimal. It is earthy but a little sweet nonetheless. (It is not sweet in the sense of SG's Kendal Cream Flake.) It is not a light smoke by any means.

It smokes dry and steady. Easy to rub out (I do just a little). It feels like a good cigar in body (but no cigar leaf is added). It leaves a strong room aroma.

I can compare it most to Germain's Brown flake, but it is fuller than that (with a touch of sweetness). It also has some similarities to University flake but is fuller and better in my opinion.

I don't know whether I like Germain's Brown Flake(which can be smoked more as it is not as full), G&H's Brown flake unscented (which is even more robust), or this variation better (the mid-full ground). They are all variations on a theme of earthy, fuller flakes. Still less full than darker flakes. Highly recommended to fuller side flake lovers, va. or burley or both, but a little milder than most dark flakes. Not necessarily for those who prefer lighter or sweet golden virginia flakes.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried a tin of this at the encouragement of Solar Pons, with whom I have shared a fondness for Lake District tobacco.

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by an aroma that I can only describe as a combination of leather, florals and spice. The flake strip are medium brown in color with some darker veins and a smattering of birds-eye. The strips are fairly this and need little rubbing out.

When first lit, I was a little put off by the presence of florals (often used in European style tobaccos). I have never liked the taste of florals (read - soap) but in BB#2, these soon give way to a rich and almost creamy smoke. Mind you that the florals never go away, they just seem to dance along in the background of high quality VA and Rich Burley.

I would not consider this a "sweet/sugary" smoking experience, but BB#2 does have a good sugar content that comes from top notch VA. The Burley is dense and satisfying. I would recommend this. I WILL be buying more.