A Virginia/Perique lover's delight! The folks at C&D start with Old Belt Red Virginias, add 25% Perique and press the whole thing before slicing it into Bayou Morning Flake.

Blended ByBob Runowski

3.2
USVI sailor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USVI sailor (8)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Va / perique blends have, over the years, been my overall favorite tobacco. Something about that tart, acrid and "figiness" smell that just drives me crazy. My 2 most favorites are Escudo Navy and Bayou Morning Flake, with the later taking second. I will generally warehouse all my Va/ perique blends for at least 14 months before opening. I recently opened a tin of Bayou Morning that was 2 years old (lost, but then found)and to say it was fantastic would be an under statement. I also let the tin sit open for a day or two to dry it out somewhat. No doubt about it Cornell & Diehl have a winner with this one. This tobacco pairs well with an aged Merlot (181 or Robert Mondavi Private Selection or Reserve)or a cup of black, slightly cooled, Columbian Supremo.

I recently purchased an 8-blend sampler pack directly from C&D and since I told Chris I was a huge fan of Bayou Morning, he threw in a sample of this. I've finished it and enjoyed it but thought that it bore only a slight resemblance to BM, and I see my tastebuds are confirmed with the tin description above.

Perique is so difficult to work with, and it requires a deft hand to produce results that are close to perfection for my taste. Bayou Morning does that, BMF doesn't quite get there. This is still an enjoyable smoke, but the perique was applied a bit too liberally and it's slightly overwhelming. This reminded me of Solani Silver Flake on steroids - good tasting but a bit much for me to take. I still recommend this for those smokers with a stouter constitution than I possess. BMF produces a mouth-filling smoke and the flavor was enjoyable. I finished the sample with no complaints or ill effects but I believe I'll stick with regular Bayou Morning, a blend I consider one of the 4 or 5 best VaPers on the market. I'd recommend you start there and go to this one next.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Holy buckets! This stuff is fantastic... the first American va/per I've tried that gives the Europeans a serious run for their money.. the tin aroma first of all- wow! In your face dried fruit... intense flavorful kick in the face. It smokes just as well... beautiful cool flavorful. Lots of perique... yet somehow the Virginias are able to stand up and hold things together. I have got to get my hands on more of this.. it's proved itself in a way I never expected. It is bold but don t be fooled... you can find nuance.

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (30)

Opening the tin reveals a very familiar, fruity, fermented, figgy aroma that is characteristic of Perique-heavy C&D blends. I love this smell. I also noted some chocolate and acetic notes at times. No indication of a top dressing, just complex, delicious Virginia and Perique.

Smoking this blend is a real treat if you love VA/Per blends. The bowl shows a nice progression from fruity and sweet on light down to deep and savory aromas at the end.

I found this blend to have more nicotine than expected, perhaps due to the high Perique content.

I bought this blend over six years ago, and just tried it for the first time. Now I wish I had bought more, because I would love to see how it further develops with more age.

Pipe Used: Various briars dedicated to VA/Per

Age When Smoked: Six years old

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

BMF is a broken flake of flue cured Virginas with a decent measure of perique. The tin note is of stewed fruit with the tangy perique scent added in. Tin mosture is slightly wetter than I'm have experiened with C&D tins but only needs a little drying. The flake breaks easily and runs out to taste. The burn quality is good, only requiring a few relights and burns down to a dry ash. Overall good VaPer flavor, with somewhat of a toast-like taste to the Virginias. Vitamin N is present. Pleasant VaPer room note. BMF is a quality offering worthy of consideration. The tin reviewed is from 5/11/10.

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (62)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This soft and broken flake is very handy to stuff the pipe, providing a slow, cool burn. I used to smoke the “regular” Bayou Morning, the Ribbon Cut, and I find them very different, although they have the same name, which normally implies being the same mixture. Check my other review of the BM Ribbon Cut and compare it with this one.

BM Flake is deep, dark, matured, harmonious, without any peaks and edges. Excellent choice of Virginias and they are the star of the show here. There is a healthy dose of Perique, but it has been gagged in a sense, as there are almost no typical Perique flavours around. Perique is there to enhance the Virginias, donating some power and strength to this mixture, what I appreciate a lot. Soft, pleasant nose-tingle on retro-hale. No tongue-burn at all. I cannot tell which one I prefer, the BM Ribbon Cut, or the BM Flake, They are very different to me, both very tasty four star blends. Get a tin of each and find out for yourself which one YOU prefer.

Age When Smoked: New, out of tin.

Purchased From: Synjecco's Pipe Smoker's Haven, Brissago/Switzerland

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

TOP-NOTCH-VA/PER! This is like a holy grail in terms of Va/Pers to my personal preference! Not most complex, but just very refined taste that flatters my palate like no other Virginia/Perique blend.

We were ordering in the US with friends and by accident they bought me the Bayou Flake, instead of the Ribbon-Cut - and thank god for that! From the lovely tin art, that makes me wallow in fantasies about a man rowing down a Bayou on his boat, thinking of home, the lovely scent of frehsly baked bread, the sparkling eyes of his children and a relieved wife that's happy to have her man back at home. Keeping the pipe in the corner of his mouth, while the few shafts of sun tickle his tired eyes.

The tin note is wonderful and appetising. Fruit bread, stoved, dark fruits and lots of pepper. Very distinctive aroma. Perfectly manufactured flakes, mostly broken, but some are still in tact are waiting inside, that are a joy to handle and break apart quite easily. Still they can be folded to little "balls" and stuffed in the pipe like that, which I prefer.

In the smoke you instantly get lots of pepper and spice. The tin-note pretty much transposes one-to-one into the smoke aroma. Dark bread, stoved and dark fruits create a distinctive aroma, that is unlike any Va/Per I had before. Rather "dark" in flavours, this isn't grassy to me at all. Fruity, bready, peppery, spicy. The 25% of Perique result in a good nicotine punch, that gets you going in the morning. Only little sweetness to it, yet noticeable. I like that, most Va/Pers are sugary-sweet. I don't consider this an All-Day smoke due to the rather high strenght, but for some it may be!

I absolutely love this blend, too bad it ain't available in bulk, because ordering tins from the US to Germany isn't quite convenient tbqh. But it's totally worth the effort and cash! This is some very unique Va/Per blend with its very own merits and aroma. If you like Va/Pers with decent strenght and dark-toned arom - try it, it's heavenly!

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars

Purchased From: 4noggins

Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Morning Flake.

This is another blend I received in a recent trade with Gentleman Zombie; it's absolutely fabulous!

As a few other folks have said, the tin-note is sublime; it just beseeches you to fill and light! The flakes aren't too broken, and are at the smaller end of the scale where length and width are concerned, however they lean more towards the larger end regarding the thickness. I'm not sure whether the moisture content may vary from tin to tin, but mines very good.

Once it's been crumbled, loaded, and lit, I'm blown away; it's EXACTLY what I want from a pipe tobacco: I wouldn't recommend it to those who aren't keen on Perique though; it has a very clear taste of it, but the dark fruitiness outweighs the sharpness; it's not as formidable as I often find many VaPer's can be. The Virginia offers some flavour: mild hay, and a little wood, but it isn't in the same league where the strength of flavour is concerned. As a few other's have said, it can pack a hefty punch of nicotine, but to tell the truth, unless the smoke's deliberately inhaled in big puffs, I don't find it to be anymore than strong. To finish, everything else about Bayou is impeccable: a great burn, lovely note, and no tongue-bite.

Thanks Franck, highly, highly, highly recommended! ;)

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum Claw

Purchased From: Traded with Gentleman Zombie

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (60)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Strong

I opened a 9 year old tin of this flake . The brick of tobacco was wrapped in paper which felt moist and had turned brown . The tobacco itself was moist also and not easy to pack . The tin note was amazing , strong and delicate at the same time . Packing and lighting was a little difficult , a loose pack is best with this flake . I was bowled over by the taste , deep prunes and smoldering , fragrant wood . This is what I smoke perique for . After savoring the can I bought a bunch of new tins but I have no idea how they taste without aging . If you can buy this as a vintage tobacco with a little age on it do it .

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

American style pop-top tin with a plastic lid with a nice little evocative water color illustration. Messy presentation of beautiful thick broken flake inside. The flakes are somewhat loose and I don't give them much besides a quick break to size to pack. The aroma is nice, some spicy molasses, wood, light smoke, leather, tobacco, stewed fruits, and apple cider vinegar. This blend favors a loose pack and occasion light tamping to squeeze out a little air.

I find this difficult to review and have held off doing so because I have a hard time rembering all the sensations of the smoke. That said, it is easy to rate, it's a bases clearing 4 star review. The C&D base flavor profile is there, kind of a strong malt. All the aroma components described above pop in an out through the bowl, but malt, straight tobacco, and leather are the most obvious. The Perique is always around sometimes flaring up. The flavor profile of this Perique is very good and it's the tangy type fermented type, not particularly spicy and not earthy. Despite so many flavors they blend well and that is why it's hard to describe.

As with almost every tobacco a little drying is beneficial. The first third of the bowl is pretty bold and has that kind of unrefined signature I find with C&D. However, once it more fully ignites the burn slows and the flavors open up. This blend is greatly benefited by smoking in a churchwarden that tames some of the rough edges. I'm sure some age would do the same. My current favor and growing.

Pipe Used: Various including churchwardens

Mr.Woods Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Woods (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

As a well known reviewer stated on Youtube: "This is a deep dark smoke". I totally agree!

I really didn't understand how much I appreciate perique until I tried this blend. There is not much virginia sweetness to find here but a lot of nose pleasing notes is present! A must try for the perique lover, and even for the enthusiast who doesn't crave latakia or pronounced virginia sweetness in every bowl.

I love this stuff and it's truly a satisfying smoke. It's really a strong weed so take it easy!

Pipe Used: Henrik Rydberg, Wally Frank Ltd.

Purchased From: Mellgren's Fine Tobacco

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I bought a half pound of this delicacy, not sure if I would enjoy that much Perique. When I opened the tin the scent was delicious and complex. Every time I loaded my pipe I had to pause to enjoy the scent. It was easy to light a lightly rubbed out flake, and it stayed lit. The taste reminded me of plum pudding. I used to have a problem enjoying Virginia because I didn't know how to smoke it. That lesson having been learned by smoking several pounds of SG Full Virginia Flake, now I can smoke these blends without any bite. This blend, in particular, has absolutely no bite. The nicotine content was very high, so I normally smoke this one in a smaller bowl. I was sad to get to the bottom of the tin, and ordered more. This stuff is amazing!

Pipe Used: Peterson 302,303,313,314, Nording freehand

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)

I really don't know why I stray from Perique; or C&D for that matter. Perique has got to be most perfect form of tobacco to ever grace humanity. Bayou Morning, while good, isn't great for me. It has the nice plum sweetness Perique offers, but not enough of the pepper IMO. It's definitely a pleasure to smoke. But I could be biased; I prefer most of C&D's tobacco. I think this leans more towards the Escudo style vapers. Nice, pleasant and tasty. It's good enough I doubt vaper fans would regret buying it.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Bvalko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bvalko (1)

I wasn't prepared for the amount of nicotine. About halfway through the bowl it hit me hard and I was feeling sick. Next time I will smoke this much slower :) Overall I thought it had a smooth spiciness to it that was quite pleasant although the perique was somewhat overpowering. It's a rather one dimensional smoke in my opinion. If you're a beginner or accustomed to smoking latakia's and Virginias then go easy with this one the nicotine will catch you off guard.

Mr. Runowski produced a fine combination here with a twist to the original. This one is a true Va/Per blend that carries some strength and peppery semi-sweet taste sensations as the smoke progresses. Not a great deal of flavor variation, but this combination works well and I imagine those who enjoy Va/Per blends with some backbone will enjoy this one. And, the flake form burns much more slowly and a little cooler than the original. Both are good blends.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is similar to Bayou Morning without the addition of any bright Virginia. There is plenty of fruit and plum coming from the red Virginia with a high sugar content. It offers some earthy notes too. Waves of spice join in from the 25% perique. I get both red and black pepper through the nose. This flake has a pretty potent nicotine hit! A fresh tin will show some harshness and lack of balance halfway through the bowl but finishes strong. I've smoked this in briars and corn cobs but had my best bowl in a meerschaum.

I recently opened a tin from 2004. Bayou Morning Flake with over a decade of age on it will remind you why you smoke a pipe. The Virginia and perique are completely married and any rough notes are gone. The strength has mellowed and the flavor has sweetened with more pronounced fruit notes. One of the best smokes I've ever had!

Age When Smoked: 1 to 13 years aged

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I was expecting something similar to BM here and was pleasantly surprised to find something completely different. No point trying to compare the two. This is a fine flake and a bit of a powerhouse. This is for Perique lovers. The Virginia just gives a little support and roundness. Here you get the full flavor of Perique along with a nice dose of spice and...yeah...a boatload of nicotine. It's also very smooth with no harshness or sharpness. Very easy on the retrohale. Very satisfying.

Medium to strong in body. No added flavorings. Medium in taste. Burns very well after some drying time.

Pipe Used: Ropp pot, MM Little Devil Cutty

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I really like this one. A great strong Vaper for the seasoned Vaper or Perique lover. The perique is pervasive, but not overwhelming as the stoved Vas are there adding their cider like sweetness to the mix. It is tasty and strong. They must like them strong on the bayou if this is how they choose to start their day.

Characteristic to C & D, the flakes are thick, but this does not bother me. It takes a little to get it going, but once lit it stays that way. Looking back on my notes I noted how I had four bowls of this in one day back in October and all were fantastic. This leads me to believe that this would also make a great all day smoke. It is not often you can say that about a nic heavy blend.

Another hit by C & D IMO

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

a very tart and acrid blend. i did not find this blend very good due to the high bitterness and acrid taste. it might be a good blend for those of you that likes that special tartness and acrid taste of perique.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

First off, if you are a smoker of stoved va.s, or va/per blends, and you do not like this flake, you need to clean your pipe or something. The tin aroma is a little like a McClelland without the ketchup smell, with just a whiff of perique. If I'd had even the slightest of stuffy nose, I would never have caught the perique in the tin aroma. It smells predominately of stoved dark virginia, and it smells delicious.

Now, this flake is not the easiest to rub out. It is a thick broken flake, and my sample tended toward the leathery in consistency; a bit like an extra thick slice of Gawith flake. But lighting it was no problem. Thick clouds of smoke immediately billowed forth, gradually settling down to a nice, comforting stream of that familiar va/per aroma. The flake exhibited no tendency to bite; A+.

I smoked this in a nice sized Oom Paul, so I expected that it would be a troublesome affair keeping it lit. But, the tobacco continued burning with no problem, requiring only one relight toward the bottom of the deep bowl. I liked this flake. The pipe aroma was inoffensive; rather more pleasant the the acrid smell I am accustomed to with other va/per blends.

The flavor of this tobacco was that of a very high quality stoved va. with undercurrents (that's undercurrents, not undertones-like a river of...) of the best perique I have ever experienced. The perique, while by no means subdued, managed to provide a generous peppery texture to the va. without being overbearing. The perique used in this flake tended to make me think more of hues and textures than flavors. And that's a good thing; means it's working on several levels of my senses of smell and taste. The flavor was warm and seductive, like a woman from a far off exotic land. The sidestream smoke tickled my nostrils like a musky perfume.

For any fans of va/per, especially flakes, give this a try. If you are looking for a daily smoke that gets you by without a lot of effort, put it away for special ocassions. This tobacco should only be smoked if you have the time to truly appreciate it.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I love Cornell & Diehl tobacco. Exhausted Rooster, Pegasus, Old Joe Krantz....the Burly Flakes and After Hours. But I dont care much for this one. There are so many great Va/pers out there.....McClelland's Beacon and Beacon Extra, Gawith's St James Flake, Reiners Long Golden Flake....and quite a few more. But this feels harsh and I lose the taste in it. I love that it has a potent nic hit...thats not the issue, but compared to, say, Beacon Extra, also pretty potent, this is pretty rustic. Some may like that. Its great quality leaf, as is always the case with C&D, but Beacon Extra is much smoother and frankly much tastier. Aging might well help this one. I have a tin Im leaving alone for a year or two and then we'll see. But as is, Id prefer a number of other blends of this type that are out there.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Berzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Berzerker (17)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a tasty perique laden tobacco. However, for me it is too strong and can become harsh towards the middle to end of the bowl. I love virginia perique tobacco's and so I had to try this one, however I will stick with Cabbies Mixture instead.

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)

Nice, sweet and peppery tobacco; the VA typical syrupy taste with a hint of hay and ripe fruit goes well together with the sharp sting of the perique. Retrohale shows off nuances of dried wheat and oat. I really enjoyed this, will buy more.

Pipe Used: MM Morgan, Diplomat and Country gentleman

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Mellgrens.se

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (22)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

even though the name suggests a smoked morning I do not recommend because it is strong for the time , there is a good amount of Perique if we compare with the ESCUDO and McClelland St. James Woods (because I tasted them with a deadline two weeks between them ) , it's a mix for those who already have an experience in pipe, because beginners could be an inhibiting factor in the noble art . The Perique is present until more than half of the bowl losing its strength in the final half , even me being a difficult tobacco smoking as this is very intense , but it is not indomitable , like any good tobacco complex requires is patience , if so it will be a truly smoke pleasurable. For this I chose a churchwarden , it helps to note the nuances of flavor . Not recommend to beginners as a first Vaper because, as said is biased to beginners , for both the ESCUDO is the best option but for those already acquainted with the Perique is an option and both

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first tried this, I honestly didn't like it. I put it away and forgot about it. After I got a bit more experienced in pipe tobacco smoking I figured I'd try this one again. The tin had aged about 7 months and man it was a real nice tobacco. Now for the tobacco. It has a great tin aroma and while smoking it I noticed that the perique comes out here and there quite nicely. I didn't get any tongue bite this time like I had when I first tried it. The room note is pleasant too. I will be having this blend regularly now and will buy another tin for sure. I recommed this as I've grown quite fond of perique blends.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Beautiful flakes in tin, perfect humidity, packed nicely. Once started, burned very well. The tin aroma of this stuff is a study in balance between the VA's and the Perique. Old cheese, sweet oats, tangy lemon grass, earthy, funky aromas. All balanced on the figs, green hay, yeast dough, and oatmeal aromas of the Virginia.

The flavor does not have quite the same balance. The Perique asserts itself one minute and fades the next. But the bowl still gets better and better from the start to the bottom of the bowl. The Perique may be a little fickle, but it is some of the most delicious Perique leaf I've ever had. Perique Freaks will love this one. The PER in this VaPer simply has to be tried.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Nice Va/Per blend and like most Va/Per, it taste great in a corncob.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is my fourth C&D blend, and it makes a perfect 100 % of my experience so far, by not letting me down.

The tin aroma is fully typical VA/Per. The flakes are just a little more intact than the other flakes I have yet experienced from Cornell & Diehl, but it still reaches me as a broken flake.

The texture is beautiful. I can see the point of those who say the slices are too widely cut, but I do not think they are. This 'baccy wants to be rubbed out into a wide bowl.

Smoked that way, the taste is consistent throughout the pipeful and gives me lots of sweetness with a good amount of spice -- with notes of green pepper and, incongruously, chocolate. But it works wonderfully together.

Thus far, I have needed a few re-lights for every bowl, but in the end there was no dottle, with a good, clean taste through to the end and the room note not letting off either.

The strength is good, but not remarkable; satisfying to me, it may be overwhelming to the beginner. On the other hand, this is real tobacco that tastes of tobacco and nothing else. Unlike a certain "early morning" blend by a famous manufacturer, I can actually smoke this in the morning without spending the rest of the day in close vicinity of the local ceramics department.

I have to agree with those who say that this is not the most complex smoke, but for the VA/Per novice who can take a little strength, this might be worth a try or two. For me, personally, it's what gets me up and going in the morning.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Overwhelming None Detected Full Strong

So I thought this tin of Picayune I had ruminating in the cellar would be the strongest smoke I'd ever get to...eventually (Picayune smokes were known in the old south to put hair on the chest back in the gap) but what could top this?!

I mean this was not a toby on my wishlist list...the same one I diligently update on here year to year-hoping against hope that 'she who does no wrong' might eventually look at it before father's day. And since we live very close to a Bayou she thinks it's gotta be good, I guess.

So this tin brought about many bouts of SVTs, and many episodes of nausea b4 I got it through my thick skull that this blend is way strong. Finally I read up and followed yalls lead, teeny tiny meer did the trick. By tins end I decided these Vas are actually cigarette tobacco, and very strong cigs at that! Seriously, once the perique softened due to aging while opened I distinctly smelled cigarette tobacco. Can't repeat what 'she who purchased it' refered to it as :(

It's too strong, end of story.

Pipe Used: Meer-tiny one hitter (LOL)

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

Similar Blends: Camel no filter.

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It has been a long time since I get knocked out by nicotine. Well, this one did the trick. Half bowl was enough to mess with me.

Not a bad tobacco, tought. Just too much strenght for me to handle with pleasure. The high amount of perique gives this a different taste, instead of grassy flavor you´ll get a more earthy one. If you like nic-kick and is looking for something with a unusual taste, go for it!

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is rather heavy on the Perique-I am used to adding blending Perique to my usual VAs and VAPERs but this one really got up my nose, so to speak. I don't think I will smoke it every day. Very good as an occasional diversion, and I may find I like this blend once in a while, but I can't see myself buying more than two ounces at a time. A word on the cut of C&D-it can be a little bit coarse, but you have to dry it for at least two hours and rub it out thoroughly for best results. Or just get it to the perfect moisture level and stuff the flake, though this doesn't always work for me with C&D.

Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

These comparative broad, thick flakes had a good moisture content and presented no packing problems even without rubout. Initial lighting was a bit difficult but minimal relights were needed and a cool smoke without bite resulted. I prefer a stronger Perique influence if I choose a Va/Per and thought this blend lacked that, flavor and sweetness from the VAs from start to the end.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Distinctive Virginia-Perique flake, this comes in very thick, dark slices that are not the easiest to rub out or pack. Rather to thick to just roll up and shove into the pipe- I tried this and used up most of a box of matches keeping it lit, it needs to be well rubbed and teased apart before packing.

It doesnt have the best burning characteristics, and may be a little trouble to light and keep burning, but the flavour is well worth it- very distinctive and quite full. It has a dusty, cigar like characteristic, slightly smokey but unlike latakia, which builds up in strength through the bowl. About halfway through the taste of perique becomes apparent, with a nice background pepperyness, but does not dominate- the taste of the other tobaccos is so strong.

It burns to the end, but with many relights, without gurgling, and without harshness, just becoming a stronger taste. Nonsmokers may not like the smell, it is quite strong, but it is not foul. I enjoyed it as a change from the more fruity style of Dunhill Navy Rolls- it is a distinctive and individual tobacco.

-----------------------------------------UPDATE-----------------------

I keep trying with this stuff, as the flavour is quite enjoyable- really peppery, and yet somehow mellow if smoked really slowly. The only way to make it smokeable is to rub it out really well, right into ribbons. And the cut is so thick, these really are ribbons- I can almost tie my hair back with them! I've had thick flakes (Holger Danske Royal Navy) and thin flakes (St Bruno) and all have worked quite well. This stuff looks like they chopped it with an axe... I think they would have been better off to leave it in sticks and sell 2 oz chunks as plug. All it would take is a sharp knife to make this into something wonderful.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I really liked the packing and cut of this tobacco. Perfect moisture level right out of the tin; two inches long, thin strips stacked together in a bundle, with various browns and darker browns wrapped in a paper holding in the moisture and aromas. The tobacco burns great, has an excellent earthy and spicey taste, and keeps a uniform flavor throughout the smoke. Right now it is cold in the midwest, and this tobacco is just right.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

I made the mistake of smoking two tins of Bayou Morning Flake within weeks of taking up the pipe. Then I went ahead and ordered a pound of the bulk version having never sampled the blend. It's fair to say I burned out on Bayou Morning Flake, which was probably my first favorite smoke and a worthy introduction to Perique. It's been a few years, I should probably put in another order.

=Original Review=

Bayou Morning Flake was one of the first tins I bought when I started with the pipe, and I couldn't stop praising it at the time. I began vigorously tracking down Perique blends as a consequence and having tried most of the big ones, I now find myself underwhelmed.

I just find this bland. It's not lacking in strength or flavor, but what flavor it does have is consistently boring, and the stoving process of the Virginias just seems to take something away. The flake is very thick and hard to pack, which isn't too disconcerting..almost preferable due to the unique presentation. The tin aroma is distinctive and interesting--something of a yeast sort of smell.

With about ten ounces of the bulk ribbon cut version, 067, aging at two months, I probably wouldn't bother buying this again. If you're interested, the bulk has a more diverse taste and only seems to resemble the flake in that the two contain Perique. I'll have a hard time finishing this.

Funny how tastes change.

Another Virginia-Perique blend. This time C&D succeed in making a really quite, soft flake, in which the two tobaccos merge perfectly. It brings neither the power of the Escudo or Three Nuns, nor the great aroma of CAO Midnight Ride or Limerick, it keeps up the flavour rather than build it up throughout the bowl. A good all-day smoke for Perique lovers.

I don't know if someone with a sense of humor packed my tin or if it is suppossed to look like half chewed cigar butts. I had to dry this tobacco in an open Mason jar for about three days to dry it up enough to smoke. I will try this again later as my initial experience differed so greatly from my fellow reviewers but for now I have to buck the tide on this mixture.(Note: this review was originally posted under Bayou Morning instead of Bayou Morning Flake where it belongs.)

5/17/2005: Have to raise this one star to three. It has finally given up enough moisture to be nicely smoked. Nice tang and tasty Perique.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

Bayou Morning Flake IS different than the original Bayou Morning from C&D. The taste is very "peaty". It does not have the sweetnes of Bayou Morning and is not as complex. It burns very cool with NO bite. The flakes are unusually large and it seems a bit moist. I did let it dry for a few hours and enjoyed the smoke more. I really like this one. Recommended!

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I found this to be a pleasant enough blend with enough perique to keep anyone happy. The Va's aren't very sweet, but instead remind me of the variety used in Briar Fox, of which this blend is a close cousin. At the Kansas City Show last year this stuff sold out in record time. So why not the higher rating?

I abhor the cut!!!

C&D is the only company that I know of who uses it, and I must say that it vexes me to no end. If it were only sliced thinner I think it would be much more manageable. Now before everyone gets going I should point out that Flake form tobacco is my favorite style due to the control one has over the tobacco. But these chunky slices come apart in sheets of tobacco leaf that do not burn well for me at all. I will stick to 633 and Escudo, both of which although burn hotter, are also sweeter, and much easier to control.

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Bayou Morning Flake arrived in a 2oz tin resplendent in the lively label art that I think of as a C&D trademark. Upon opening the can and removing the paper top cover I was greeted by a nice aroma of yeast and caramel. The flakes are presented in a rather chunky, agreeably homespun fashion, cut wide and somewhat broken.

I enjoy flake tobacco so much partly because of the ritual of preparation I indulge in, taking the time to rub out the tobacco, thus enjoying its texture, composition, and fragrance. I found this process difficult here, because the flakes were so thickly cut. I wound up with a lot of one ply pieces about 1/4 inch square that were hard to pack. I will just break it up in the future, without rubbing.

The tobacco took slowly to the match, but once under way released a satisfying rich caramel scented smoke supported by a cool slow burn rate.

It didn?t take long for the perique to dawn on this peaceful scene, beginning at about the second quarter of the bowl of the 1950s Wilke Dublin that did the initial honors. The perique stands in pretty stark contrast against the velvety dark flavor of the pressed virginia, presenting a sharp tangy effect and negating (sad to say) the once lush burnt sugar flavors and aroma. Yet, by the third quarter of the bowl, the taste of this whimsical tobacco had transformed into a powerhouse combination of pepper and blackstrap molasses, similar to the very end of a Dominican Cohiba. A smoky spicy treat!

This is my first foray into the realm of virginia/perique flake. I have not had the advantage of trying regular Bayou Morning, which is supposedly quite different. I am however, a chronic smoker of virginia flake, and would assert that this is equal to any (better than some) in flavor and smokeability, with the added joy that only perique can bring. I can?t help wondering, though, how the beautiful pressed virginia would be standing on its own.