The standard by which all other vanilla blacks are measured for taste and aroma! We use the finest Green River Burleys, stoved to a perfect silky black, then flavored wih our secret vanilla custard formula. Perfectly balanced...great taste and aroma.

BrandHouse of Windsor
Blended ByHouse of Windsor
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Mild, Mild to Medium
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Tolerable
1.3
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I didn't taste any Virginia, though I did get a little toastiness from the burley. The vanilla custard was bland and boring. Burned well though a little hot and slightly bitey. The flavor was disappearing on me when I got near the finish. If you want vanilla custard, try Sutliff's Mountain Pass, which has a deeper taste.

sobejon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sobejon (6)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I must've been a little luckier than Young Piper as the can I got was not that dry. Although if I am reading the code right on the bottom, it ends in 04, so I am guessing this is old stuff. If there was a Vanilla Custard flavor to this... I didn't notice it at all... it smoked a little "thin" for a cavendish. to me this was a very smoked burley, grey to the point of almost being black. It wasn't terrible, I didn't completely hate it... but i can't recommend it.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (102)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I bought two tins of this on a whim that the "Vanilla Custard" would be tasty. At first i thought i had purchased a bad tin, but upon opening the second, it was just like the first. Dry and gray (yes Gray)cavendish. The blend is brittle dry and smells like your local Union Carbide Factory and the oil refineries in Edison New Jersey when your driving down the Turnpike going to Newark airport. Yum! So i didn't know how to rate the Flavoring as it was very dry but is definatly sprayed with chemicals so i chose "Extra Strong". The taste was as bad if not worse than the aroma, chemical city mixed with nasty and sickly looking black cavendish. And its sad to say that after smoking a 1/4 of one tin,i threw the rest of the two tins away.

Now i am used to the sugary american aromatics that slop and glop the bowl and i love em, but i will not purchase another tin of HOW aromatics, ill buy Captain Black and any Lane blend over this stuff. Too artificial in every sense of the word.