Sun-soaked Virginias and matured spice tobaccos as Burley and Cavendish. Discreet bouquet. Flavored with mediterranean spices dissolved in red wine.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
2.1
maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (57)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Sometimes I wonder if I have smoked the same blend as detailed above or smoked by other reviewers...

I bought it in Berlin, only available in a 50g pouch. Mention of fruit aroma on the label.

In the pouch it smelled like wax (shoe polish?). Smoking it I found not much aromatic particularities, neither fruit or red wine. Rather high nicotine touch which may satisfy some smokers.

That used probably to be a legendary blend but what I smoked is far from anything worth remembering. Perhaps if I found it in a tin I will have a try...

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

This is certainly a good tobacco, excellent quality, nice easy to smoke and burn cut, nice light casing, etc.

But again, this is not a tobacco for the experienced smoker unless you don't mind low doses of Vitamin N.

Apparently, this is the no 1 seller in Germany among pipe smokers. But then, I don't believe everything my tobacconist tells me ;-)I see Germans smoking something that has more character to it.

Since I feel that I have a bit of a backlog to work off on getting to know the classics, I decided to buy a pouch of this blend when I was restocking my tobacco cabinet.

The pouch had a little extra label detailing that the tobacco would contain "fruit extracts/spices," which I thought was considerate since the original pouch does not contain any information as to what to expect. The tax label indicates German manufacture, so the reviewer who noted that it's made by Planta may well be right.

The pouch aroma is, in one word, fruity. The tobacco feels a little dry; the ribbon cut suggests using a small bowl and medium-tight packing.

Right after ligthing up, this leaf has an unpleasant, artificial taste which lasts for a few puffs and then gives way to a nice, VA-dominated sweetness with a gentle fruity tingle that lasts throughout the rest of the pipe. The room note shows the Cavendish in a nice way; it's gently sweet and dry.

For all its niceness, Mixture No.7 does have a tendency to burn hot and form a lot of condensation. It's nothing out of the ordinary; not a blend I will be coming back to. Not one to throw away the rest of the pouch either, though. Not a bad smoke, but the artificial taste at the beginning leads me to only somewhat recommend.

-- Update -- After finishing my one (and definitely only) pouch of this, I find that the aftertaste does not grow on me; rather the contrary. It's tinny, artificial-tasting, sour and, for lack of a better expression, lingeringly nasty. No longer recommending even a bit.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

used to be my everyday smoke but I changed it because I want to smoke more VA tobaccos. Burley is okay for me so far, but it makes the mixture a bit too mild for me at the moment. I too smoke in my office when there is time too think about things, with the chance people rushing in, without further notice, because they smell I am there. I have to stop thinking and smoking because most of my girls and boys do not smoke at all. And the mixture tastes ugly if I have to relight it after half an hour with half a bowl to work on. But not bad at all i recommend it for people who want to smoke good tobacco within a reasonable price range. Compared to more expensive mixtures - a good choice.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

many years ago, i smoked a tin of this weed, and found it strange, interesting, and not very much to my liking. unmistakingly germain's, and fine quality, of course.

this time round, i find it completely unrecognizable. it's a heavily cased (and top flavoured, too, i reckon) aromatic. a goopy and disgusting blend.

closer inspection of the paper disc inside the tin, reveals that it's made by planta. oh dear.

...and why in heaven's name did i buy a 100g tin?????

I never give Germain tobaccos a bad review - even if they deserve it. This is a very grassy, nutty, almost pure nature tasting blend. It is like King Charles Mixture sans the orientals and latakia.It has a naturally sweet taste by itself ,but is helped along by what I detect to be PURE HONEY as a topping.My good friend who also is a contributor here detects Heather.It really is very pleasant as an all day smoke.It should be enjoyed before a meal with a clean palate.Otherwise you might lose the subtleties of the blend. A truly warm and yummy smoke.A must try for Germain fans and a good offering for non-aromatic smokers who appreciate a natural blend w/o condimental leaf. Do not use DGT or it will burn slightly hot. 3 of 4 stars

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Mulled wine and chocolate. It is indeed a Planta-made mixture, which is more an OTC blend than something legendary. I never tried the original (so the pre-Planta version), but considering the price and the smoking qualities of this tobacco, it is a recommended blend - I had smoked much worse blends (not that this should be a measure). The No.7 is not an all-day/everyday smoke, because it's taste profile is very special and different. It is the quickest smoking mixture I ever had, so if you prefer quick smokes you should give it a try. It was also very easy to smoke, needed no attention at all, and it left an acceptable room note. 2.5 of 5 stars for the mixture per se, and add a half star for its price.

Mixture No. 7 arrives quite wet in the tin smelling of cheap red wine. The tobacco appears to be of good quality, and is cut like many blends made by Germain, with very thin ribbons. Once it is dried out, the fruit like aroma takes over. It burns somewhat hot and as one other reviewer pointed out, it develops a nasty taste which for me started about mid bowl. It is very rare that I will comment on a blend without smoking at least an ounce or two, but I needed to show mercy on my taste buds. I don't know if Planta is still blending this as my tin said “Manufactured by J.F. Germain (not for J.F. Germain) It is hard to believe that Mixture No. 7 is made by the same folks that make great blends like Stonehaven, Penzance and the newest version of Balkan Sobranie. Mixture No. 7 may be from a bygone era and for me, it should have stayed there.

Old-China-Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old-China-Pipe (3)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I am not an aromatics man, but this blend is borderline and while it's a little too light for a rich evening smoke, it makes for a lovely daytime and summer smoke. With just the right moisture content it smolders away at just the right rate. I really enjoy the subtle dried fruit taste I get from this and the slight special sweet/spicy/musty nose I get from the bowl when a good blend like this burns slowly.

Jimbo_ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jimbo_ (4)
Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

Upon lighting, this promissed to be a nice sweet Va with some burley. But then about 5 minutes in, a strange aftertaste took over. Dunno if I can call it soapy or what, but was definitely distasteful to me. Just before the end of the smoke, the aftertaste dissapeared and it was a sweet Va. again. I tried this three times in different sized pipes and it happened every time. Very strange. I won't be trying this again.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

I've been curious about this blend for quite some time. My regular all day (aromatic) smoke is Mac Baren Mixture and I noted Dry11's comments that this was comparable. On this basis I bought a 50g pouch to try and can confirm this.

To smoke it is very similar in flavour to MB Mixture but much smoother and dare I say, tastier. It burns evenly down to a grey powder. It has much more of a honey smell in the pouch and this does translate into the flavour. Very easy going as an all day smoke.

For fans of Mac Baren Mixture that don't like the bite that some associate with their products this can be recommended. Also recommended in it's own right as a good quality 'non sticky' aromatic smoke.

I'm impressed with this one and will probably get more. I've been smoking it in the same pipes that I use for MB Mixture (Falcon filters) and found no problems with crossover.

One surprise is that given this tobacco is manufactured in Jersey it cannot be found in the UK. I got mine from Germany.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

My tobacconist told me this bakkie was the number 1 seller in Germany.

For Schnapps drinkers, this tobacco is quite mild. Golden for the most part, very few dark leaves, loose cut.

Bland, boring. Nice quality though. For the lightly aromatic lover who prefers mild blends.

I'll stick to the Schnapps.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)

I cannot say that I was overwhelmed by any of its qualities. However, I kept reaching for the pouch again and again. Overall, I prefered the experience to my so far steady mate, MacBarren Mixture - Scottish Blend.

The aroma is intriguing - people around find it aggreeable. My pipe never got hot and when the smoke was over, some fine gray ash was left behind. No goopy residues, no need for re-light no..,no... etc.

Why not 4 stars? Mostly because I did not get the one great smoke that I craved for and because it lacks personality.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Like all Germains, this is a tobacco to be reckoned with. Whether or not you like this type of taste, like Islay malt, it's distinguished, and once you taste that smoky, almost medicinal quality ala Bowmore or Lagavulin, you never forget it. This is a beautiful, speckled, moist ribbon cut of blacks and golds in the tin. It's probably several types of Virginia with just the right amount of sweetness. It's briny like 1820 or King Charles with a bit of honey, heathery texture, as noted in the distinguished gentleman's review. I also agree that if you pack a bowl, smoke it right away. Do not apply DGT, as this stuff burns hot on the tongue the next day and you will be nipped for anything else you try to smoke. Also, avoid Listerene. Ouch!!! I much prefer the Royal Jersey Latakia blend, but I might partake of this every now and again. Hey, distinguished gentlemen, can I bum a bowl off ya?

Three of five stars