A revival of a classic American blend that smokers of 30 years ago will instantly recognize. Contains burleys, Latakia and bright Virginia.

Notes: Reminiscent of old Barking Dog blend.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Taste

3.2
CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Very good blending of very good tobaccos. Nuttiness from the burley, and a frequent touch of sweetness from the VA, all with a smoky backdrop of latakia. Interesting how the burley and VA vie for the lead all the way through the bowl, without anything taking over for long. Well-behaved. Never had what it was blended to mimic, so I cannot speak to that comparison. Very pleasant 4 star experience.

Pipe Used: Neerup, Armellini

Age When Smoked: Tin date 19-AUG-2009

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A Very nice chunky blend of Burley, at first when I tried this blend I was unsure of if I liked it or not, but being stubborn I didn't give up on it, but I did set it aside for a month or so and the next time I tried a bowl It was very enjoyable, a nice nutty flavor from the burley, and finsihes with the smokiness of the latakia which is in the back ground

Pipe Used: CassanoCanadian, a Big Casino Cutty

Armac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armac (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From the description, I believe this to be a Barking Dog clone and it comes close. I smoked a lot of BD 30 or more years ago and if memory serves me, the BD of way back when was more Burley and less Latakia. And I don't believe old Barking Dog had any Virginia in it. That said, this is a very good and tasty American/English blend though on the light side if you're a heavy Latakia smoker. I suspect it would be a good introduction to English style blends for the beginner. And though not Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, it would be a fine tobacco to begin the day with. It is what it purports to be. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Pre transition Sasieni Moorgate Pot

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Barking Dog.

keisel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keisel (12)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

The latakia is covering everything else, i think. Very easy burning (little fast) and some tongue bite. Nothing special for this one except the very good quality known tobaccos for this company.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

This is a fantastic blend that is highly enjoyable. I enjoy burley blends that have a nutty and earthy note and this is one that hits both of those areas. I'm an unabashed fan of C&D burleys and they really have taken burley from disdain to a place of honor.

The tin I opened was about a year and half old and I really think that C&D blends need at least 3 to 6 months of rest time before you can get a true sense of the blend. They can be a little harsh and muddled in flavor when they are young and this probably leads to some of the bad reviews on here. Patience is a virtue with these blends. In any case an array of colors stared back at me from dark black to light tan. The bright virginias were pretty easy to pick out as was the latakia. There appeared to be a little bit of cube cut burley along with some dark and white burley. There was a definite tin note of earthy burley along with latakia.

If you want a heavy or even medium latakia smoke... move on to a different blend. The latakia is just there for a meaty background support. This is a burley blend through and through with the bright virginias offering a supporting role of sweetness which is still quite subdued. The smoke progresses with increasing richness but never gets harsh and any bite is minimal at worst. I honestly think that any bite I got was from moisture and smoking just a bit too fast. When I had a nice slow cadence then all was right with the world.

If you're a burley smoker then by all means get yourself a tin. If you usually smoke Virginias or English blends then this could be a wonderful change of pace from your usual rotation.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

The aroma in the tin is a nice pungent burley smell. You can see the light amount of latakia present and the burley is a cube-cut. I bought this thinking it would be a latakia based smoke, but that only comes up a little bit while enjoying it. This is mostly a nutty-smokey burley, and really it's pretty good. I'm new to smoking the pipe, and haven't really smoked burley heavy tobacco, but I found this was a good smoke for the early evening and note that I smoked this in the cob and the briar but I liked it better in the cob. It has a real strong, down-to-earth flavor about it that is pretty nice, but if you are looking for heavy latakia, this won't be it. I'd give it an 7 out of 10 stars.

Edit, I honestly don't care for this much in a briar pipe, for me it must be a corn-cob.

**update, I have found I like this one more if I blend a bit of cavendish in with it, not much, maybe an 3/8 of the volume.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

After smoking a few bowls I've found Junkyard is good but to me it's better on the re-light! Which to me shows the quality of the leaf after it has sat for a period of time.

Nachman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nachman (13)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am not a burley fan and that should be taken into account when reading this review. I bought Junkyard Dog making another attempt to like burley. I read the tobacco is high quality. The tin art is super. The reviews are good. i think possibly this is the tobacco that will show me what others see in burley. Nope. To me it is just more of the same. I gave it two stars because outside of having a butt load of burley in it, it is not otherwise offensive.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

This is an excellent blend worth to smoke at any time of day. Latakia here gives an exceptional note and right because it has very thrilling taste.

Only it is rather dry (maybe just my tin), however it is not an obstacle for pleasant smoke.

My rate: 4.7

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

C&D Junkyard Dawg is a wonderful blend and something off the beaten path as far as blends go for me for I am not a Burly guy. However, with the Dawg you get Burley/Virginia/Latakia mixture that is a decent smoke. My only issue is the bulling the Burley seems to do here for it surely smacks down the Vir/Lat every time their flavors attempt to come through. From the tin this stuff is beautiful and dry out to perfection. Just not my cup of tea but I can see why this is a popular blend. A nice offering and worth a try.

This is indeed very similar to Barking Dog, sans the Perique. It has a woodsy, faintly sweet, mildly nutty flavor. I enjoy it very much as a quiet companion for autumn walks. It burns much better than the stuff HoW made. It is a bit pricey, but I still will buy it from time to time.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

First, let me say that I love Burley tobacco. Second, let me say that I like my tobacco on the stronger side. I love this stuff! I've only tried Barking Dog once and that was a long time ago. This blend is far superior. There is more Latakia and a lot more Burley. I am reminded of C&D's Evening Rise, but with Latakia added. The tobacco lights well and stays lit. The smoke is thin, but full of taste. And, unlike most of the tobaccos out there, this stuff smells like it smokes; smokey, a touch of sweetness, and nutty. The ash is fine and white like all good tobacco should be. The nicotine level is just about right. But, a typical Burley tobacco contains more than most. For reference, it has a little more than Prince Albert, but not as much as Royal Yacht. Your pipe is left dry and ready to go another round with the Dawg. This smoke is not for everyone. An aromatic smoker will find this to be too strong. An English smoker will find a lack of sufficient Latakia for their taste. However, if you enjoy a true American English, this one is the best. And, if your not sure if you like American English tobacco, try it. The only thing that keeps this one out of my daily rotation is the price. Barking Dog is a lot cheaper, but you get what you pay for here.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Strong Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

Ok here goes. I guess i'm hooked? I got this blend because of the dog on the tin looked cool. A perect image for a blend that has plenty of bite like a junkyard dog. This blend comes right up to you and bites you on the tongue. Now a blend with bite is not always a bad thing. NO WAY !!!!! I would not consider this blend Mild or Medium. It is FULL and Strong like a Junkyard Dog. It is about as strong as it gets. This blend is not that stuffy or boering. JYD is describe as a unflavored Plain tobacco. A good American Blend that was popular about 30 years ago. That is by C&D. I was expecting a blend more like SIr Walter Raleigh or Granger but I was wrong. Thank God because why recreate a blend like SRW or Grangerhtese are done so perfectly already. Now I can't say that I remember any blends like this 30 years ago on the shelves of the local candy stores. Or I am sure I would have stuck with it through the years. I would say that this blend is close as you can get to REVELATION or BARKING DOG. Athough JYD has no Perique like REVELATION dose. And yet JYD is much better then both BARKING DOG/REVELATION BY FAR. This blend actually is closer to Maiden Lane by Barclay Rex but the cross cut is easier to pack and has a fuller taste then the Barclay Rex Blend. JYD is a good smoke for those who have the balls to smoke a blend with bite! I understand that C&D call it an American blend due to the Burley which can give JYD an Ameircan twist. But I am sure that will be considered an English Blend by many. As for myself I to will agree with C&D and consider it an American Blend. For the simple reason that JYD stands up proud and strong and will bite you with no regrets. The Cut of the leaf will remind you of those House of Windsor Blends. But this is the only comparison to House of Windsor soggy weak blends. JYD Burns perfect right down to the bottom of the bowl every time. There is no worry about this blend drying out in the tin as this would not make any diference. As far as the aroma here is a tip make sure your "Old Lady" ain't around because JYD will leave the room smelling like a Wet Junk Yard Dog. JYD a Good smoke for walking the Dog. This dog has plenty of BITE so BEWARE OF DOG. Don't be affaid try it. Ruff Ruff! Good stuff a real tough guy blend it's about Time. this Blend is Not recomended for the armchair pipe club aficionado who all seem to like the same blends anyway. If you are not part of this set then Try JYD I am sure you will enjoy it. I just got my order another 8oz tin from C&D and I'm just a luvin it must be the dawg in me. Packs well and stays lit easlily.ANd this blends onyl gets better as it gets older!

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

From the first bowl I knew I really liked this blend. Almost sweet, but not quite, excellent burn quality right out of the tin, heavy mouthfeel without being predominately Latakia, and just an overall pleasant smoking experience. I will smoke this often with my other favorites in the Latakia range as well as stashing a few tins for the future.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

From what I understand this is very similar to the original Barking Dog. Not ever trying the "original" I can not confirm that. I can tell you that the tobacco burns very well. It burns cool and evenly, down to a powdery white ash. The tin note is a bit on the sweet side, the VAs are very pronounced at the top of the bowl as well. The burly has a very nice and cool flavor to it, but the latakia adds just a bit of smokiness to the blend. I found this blend to absolutely not bite and very satisfying from beginning to end. It is a bit two dimensional and might benefit from a bit of aging.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I put in my semi monthly order to the good folk at Cornell & Diehl. I had known for years that I was going to try Junkyard Dawg when I got around to it. It was one of their premium blends and was priced as such. That and the extremely negative experience that I had had with Barking Dog, the blend that it was supposed to mimic, made me hold off from ordering my usual one pound tin. I ordered two two ounce tins among a few other pounds and was satisfied. My order arrived in good time and I found that I had been misheard. There were two one pound tins among the others that I had requested. I did not complain, I merely opened them and smoked them. This is among the best decisions I have ever made.

From hearing of the ingredients and reputation of Barking Dog I had always assumed that I would like it just fine. I was born too late to smoke any Barking Dog than that which was blended by the House of Windsor. That alone was enough to make me say that it was a bad tobacco from a bad company. All the same, the notion of Burley, Virginia, and Latakia together was enough to make me continue to search for a better expression of the same. Craig Tarler of Cornell & Diehl has never served me wrong and when I found that the good gentleman had concocted a clone of that American classic I decided that I would give this breed another shot.

Mr. Tarler succeeded where House of Windsor failed. Junkyard Dawg is simply a marvel. C & D's famous Burley makes for a soft yet substantial base of woody and creamy flavor. Bright Virginia adds an intermittent sweetness and tang. All of this with a Latakia that behaves itself, adding a robust and meaty kick where it is needed. Junkyard Dawg is not as complex as many true English blends, but, then again, it doesn't have to be. It big and broad and simple. This is a combination that does my heart good. No one component is preeminent in this blend, yet you know that every one of them is there. The chunkiness of the cube cut Burley makes for a slow, cool burn that I imagine defined the American classics for so long. I am glad to have discovered it. Two one pound tins don't seem like enough now.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Mild Medium Strong

Insofar as taste goes, this is probably the best of C&D's English/American hybrids (that's meant as a very high compliment). The VAs are far more noticeable here than in Morley's Best or Bailey's Front Porch, and the ingredients tend to wax and wane in relative strength as the bowl progresses. One minute you're tasting latakia, the next it's burley, and then a strong hit of sweet VA. Unfortunately, there are two serious problems with his blend. One, it's not much easier to keep lit than GLP's Barbary Coast, a blend which could conceivably be used as a fire-retardant stuffing for furniture. Looking at the ingredients, I can't figure out why the Dawg would behave this way, but the problem is enough to knock off a star. Also, as others have noted, the Dawg can BITE, which is always a serious drawback. As I indicated earlier, the flavor is incredible -- if it weren't for the other issues, it would easily earn a four-star rating. I've gone through two 2-ounce batches of this so far, and I've got another tin socked away for aging. With luck, a couple of years in the cellar will turn this into something more manageable.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (49)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Ah.... another C&D hit. This is an all day blend for sure. Junkyard Dawg is sure to please english and straight blend tobacco smokers alike. This tastes nutty with slightly sweet overtones from the bright VA. Latikia gives Junkyad Dawg a great smokey high note. This blend closely resembles House of Windsors Barking Dog less the perique. I love this tobacco and it is one of my favorite all-dayers. Right on C&D, a definite 9 out of 10 in my book.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)

Another burley showcase by C&D, Junkyard Dawg is not a balanced blend, and I'm thankful for it. This pipe-weed is about quality burley, as are many of C&D's best offerings. Latakia makes a minor yet important contribution, while the Virginia only whispers. Nutty, earthy, and solidly delicious.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Junkyard Dawg is a comfortable, reliable and fun smoke that has a little something for everyone. Yes, I have smoked Barking Dog, and yes (IMHO) there are some similarities. But this one has a little better pedigree and gets the nod from me. The cut on this tobacco makes for any easy-to-load, easy-to-light experience. It smokes smooth and cool with no particular need for "technique". The burley seems to be of excellent quality, no skimping there. Theres the nice virginia and a little tickle of latakia that round out the smoke. This is not a flavored or cased tobacco. It's not one of my "contemplative" tobaccos, but when I just wanna sit with my feet propped up, and think about absolutely nothing it's a no brainer/very enjoyable experience. If you liked BD, try this for sure.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Taste wise, this could be Easy Times little brother- Just more latakia. Its also more tolerable in the nicotine department. Sweet and smokey- I never tried Barking Dog, I have a can- But got it because I have Boxers- so it was more for the nostalgia. It can't be better than this though. Junkyad dawg is one of my "desert Island" smokes. Love it at all times of the day or night. Nutty, smokey and sweet- top to dottle. Can't go wrong. Try it.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I wasn't as taken with this blend as some others were. I found it to be an ongoing game of Virginia trying to peek out, but smacked down by Burley. Then Latakia tried to get a word in, only to be kicked to the curb by Burley.

If you don't have any JD on hand but want the effect, just smoke some Grainger in a pipe that has been used for English blends, because that's about all the Dawg provides.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like pipestud, I find that this blend is remarkably similar to Barking Dog. The taste is as described by the other reviewers and is, to me, identical to BD. The physical character of the smoke is about the same, too. Like BD, this is not a thick, creamy smoke. Rather, it is thin and a little astringent in a way that I like.

The differences I see are in the cut and the quality of the tobacco. This one has a finer cut and much higher quality ingredients. My only complaint about BD has always been its coarse cube cut that makes it hard to light and hot-burning. The big chunks of tobacco stem in BD can burn like charcoal briquettes in your pipe and can smoke very hot if you are not careful. That problem is fixed in Junkyard Dog.

This is a winner and I look forward to smoking more of it.

===== December 2005

I am still smoking this occasionally and I like it more and more as time passes. This is one of the blends I reach for when I don't feel like experimenting and want a reliable, comforting smoke. Still four stars from me...

I really enjoyed this blend. People say it is similar to "Barking Dog" but to tell you the truth not really. This is a much higher quality of tobacco and the flavor is far superior to its House of Windsor counterpart. This is a very cool and tasty burley blend with just enough Latakia to give it some texture and toothiness. This is a plain and rich blend. It reminds me of a dark chocolate that is about 77% Cacoa. It is not the most exciting blend but it yields such a nice and rich flavor that every piper should try it at least once in his life.Contemplative,calm and satisfying is the best way to describe it. I would classify it as a non-aromatic.It has an English quality to it,but I think even non-latakia lovers will enjoy this. A true blast from the past. It may not set your world on fire but you will enjoy a unique and truly American smoke. Try some for the fun of it! 3 of 4 stars.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Well this is another one I tried that came in a tobacco box pass. I didn't think I was going to like it at first but I was wrong. This is a nice tobacco. The Latakia isn't to strong and the Virginia is nice and sweet and the Burley balances out the other two very nicely. This is the first blend with Latakia in it that doesn't have perique in it that I liked. Nice job C & D.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There is a lot of reference here to the barking dog. Never had it so i cant compare the two. This is a blend that reminds me of a tobacco that my father and grandfather would have enjoyed. I like the burning qualities and the taste of this. It is a good all round smoke. This is one tobacco that will never let ya down!

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After smoking quite a bit more of this blend, I begin to find the very light topping becoming a bit intrusive. I tend to smoke pretty "straight" blends but do like the occasional topping. However recently this one has been disagreeing with me. Still an excellent tobacco - just not something I think I will keep returning to.

---- I've never tried Barking Dog, so I will notate this from "green" experience.

This is a slow but easy burning blend of lighter colored tobacco. It has some of the nutty homey flavor and aroma I've come to love so much from C+D's burley based blends. The latakia is definitely a condiment here - poking up occasionally to add a bit of smokey spice. To date I think I rate C+D at the top of the heap as far as blenders working with VA/Burley/Latakia combinations. This blend continues that tradition.

There are so many other blends in this vein that have recently caught my interest that I am not sure this will be one I keep and smoke frequently. But I do know it is certainly worth keeping and smoking regularly!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Junkyard Dawg is a nice balanced blend with the nutty, cool burley, the sweet Virginias and the nice but lighter flavor of the Latakia making their presence known. Pipestud, above me, puts the Latakia in the trunk. I will put it in the back seat. It?s there and flavorful but not as pronounced or overpowering as in heavier English blends. I would classify JD as a light English blend but some folks may categorize it as a medium English blend. Junkyard dogs are supposed to be mean and nasty so the name for this blend puzzles me (OK, it?s a facsimile of Barking Dog). This blend is quite the opposite in demeanor of a junkyard dog. JD will be nice to you. It has excellent burning qualities and no bite no matter how hard or fast you may puff. JD is a very pleasurable smoke, indeed, and another great offering from the nice folks, Craig & Patty, at C&D. This classic American blend is definitely worth a try. Even if you are not a fan of English blends, you may like this one.

I rate this tobacco 9.0 out of 10

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

C&D has put it's own spin on the House of Windsor's Barking Dog. The two are extremely similar. In fact, the biggest difference may be the pooch on the tin. Windsor's dog is a regal looking Boxer while C&D's canine is a rather nasty looking English Bulldog with heavy jowls.

The second biggest difference between Junkyard Dog and Barking Dog is the fact that the former does not contain any Perique while the latter boasts just a smidgen. Junkyard Dog is a no frills Burley/Virginia/Latakia mixture that pleases me. It is heavy on quality Burley with the Virginia leaf sitting in the backseat and the Latakia in the trunk. Upon opening the tin, I did get a slight whiff of Latakia, but at the match that condimental leaf stayed deep in the background.

This is not an elegant blend, but then, it doesn't pretend to be. It is at its best when smoked while wearing jeans and a sleeveless T-shirt.