This is the third in the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series! Red Virginias are blended with a rich vanilla to sweeten aroma. Then Burleys are blended in to produce a lightly-sweet, nutty, full blend best enjoyed after a long day in the great forests.

BrandJust For Him
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

2.7
Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (11)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I usually hate vanilla but the vanilla in this tastes very natural and slightly woody. This stuff is a cinch to smoke and does not bite one little bit. For me the taste is incredibly weak, tastes like you are smoking fog with a hint of vanilla. A real shame, if this had a stronger taste I think I would love it.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Aromatic fans will rejoice after puffing on this blend. It is mild, smooth, sweet and still tobacco tasting. It burned very clean and dry for an aromatic and I liked the added essence (although Vanilla would not have been my first guess).

Finally, the cut of the leaf (a cube cut), makes loading up a pure pleasure.

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I am really much more attracted to stronger blends of tobacco, so to be fair, the Middle Earth series really hasn't done it for me. However, I truly love the uniqueness of all of these tobaccos.

Treebeard is a nice relaxing blend. It lights easily, packs nicely and smokes without effort. What more could one ask, except for strength?

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (32)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Some sort of bland vanilla aromatic. The best part is that it is not sweet, just a vanilla in the background and not a bad aftertaste. The room note is like burning leaves laced with vanilla, not unpleasant - not going to chase anybody away, but not remarkable either. Was gloppy in the bowl toward the end and experienced a bit more gurgle than I usually do. Overall not bad but not great either.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

So far the most disappointing JFH tobacco I had. Very "soft" aromatic with too much Vanilla for my taste. Definitely not terrible but I find it less enjoyable than Old Toby or Longbottom Leaf. Missed Burley and VA flavors...

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (15)

This is a nice smooth bit of pipe weed. Required a few re-lights, but that can probably be solved by letting the stuff dry a little. Produced ample clouds of smoke. No bite, a little gurgle, just a hint of sweetness to the flavor. I'd recommend and I'll get more when I am through with the 2 ounces I started with.

Pfeifegeliebter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifegeliebter (9)

I bought the LOTR sampler and thinking that I would not enjoy this blend it turned out that I do enjoy it ...right behing Mushrooms and Ruins but I do enjoy it. I would say this is a smoke to sit and enjoy over a long period while contemplating lifes trials and tribulations ..... a very pleasant all around smoke.

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I agree wiith tallman down below in the reviews. This for me was light on N and flavor. I felt a hint of perique, but the descriptions says there is none. There is a whisper of sweetness but it is unremarkable. Truthis this is smooth like other middle earth pipeweed blends, and it doesn't disappoint but it is not fabulous or super rich either. It is a comfortable smoke but bland. so far Ruins of Isengard has been one of the tops. They do not compare well. It is very easy to pack with a good thick smoke. I could smoke it all day but I would forget.

Texian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Texian (2)

A nice smoke. Nothing too special, but nothing to cry about, either.

Mine burned well, no bite, and to the bottom of the bowl.

Flavor is mild, more sublime than overt. Not something for a quick smoke, but more for a sitting where you don't mind trying to decide just exactly what tune the pipe is playing today.

BeardedBounder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeardedBounder (2)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This packed and lit well, but it tasted and smelled like I was smoking lumber

Uncle Burl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Burl (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I don't know if this has recently been reworked or if others just got it wrong, but my new sample of this was a rough cube cut not a ribbon. It packed easily and though it takes a few relights to keep it going it smokes cool and even. I am unashamed to say that I love sweet tasting and smelling aromatics, and I don't think that makes me less a man just because I don't like smoking things that taste and smell like burn grease rags or tumbleweeds. This is an incredibly fine tasting and smelling bacca. I will be ordering a pound soon!!! My wife who is not a smoker says the room note comes close to smelling like the package aroma. Since I like talking to her while I enjoy a pipe it's important to me that I have a tobacco we both can enjoy. This one fits that criteria perfectly!!! I think that LOTR character Treebeard was confident and strong enough to enjoy a sweet fragrant smoke without feeling emasculated, and so do I. Get some and enjoy it roaming the woods or on the porch with your lady friend. It's sure to please unless you have no heart or tastebuds left.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (57)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

This comes in a ribbon cut of mostly black cavendish, bright virginia and burley, easy to pack, light and keep lit, and thats all the positives I can say about this blend taste like air with whispers of vanilla, completely boring from first light to the wet dottle found in the bottom of the pipe. Bottom line if this was the only tobacco available to me I would give up pipe smoking completely.

Cam The Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cam The Man (3)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I definatley reccommend buying the sampler, but this blend was not to my liking. It didn't have much flavor besides a slightly nutty smell. At first I didn't know what they meant by 'Nutty', but after smoking this I now know. Its a mellow tatse that many nuts do possess, but besides this mild-if not intresting- flavor, not much to it. Although, i did mix the last bit of Treebeard with some Ruins of Isengard recommended and both flavors of smoke came through quite well. i almost want to make a blend of the two.

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)

I recommend that you go to the site and try the sampler however as a whole id say that this specific blend was not my taste i found a little bite and had some trouble keeping it lit.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased the Middle Earth Sampler and have smoked 2 bowls of everything except STM. Treebeard was a very nice smoke for me. I loved the nutty flavor of the Burley mixed with the subtle sweetness of the Virginias and the vanilla was just a hint and not overpowering at all. The flavor was great all the way to the bottom of the bowl and I'll be buying this in bulk.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Never smoked it. But I just have to say that Miyanovich's review below is the BEST EVER on this review site, and has compelled me to look for some..

I'm off out to go find me some of 'Mangar Turdburgals' finest. If he still makes it.......himself.

X-D

rstevens Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rstevens (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Treebeard is a fantastic tobacco. It lays a sweet flavor on your tongue, but it is not disgustingly sweet. You definitely pick up on the vanilla in the blend, and it also gives a natural tobacco taste. Very easy to pack and light up, but it may come a little moist. If so, let it sit in a ziploc bag for a few days.

Highly recommended.

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (12)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

These are my initial impressions, after three bowls of Treebeard.

This aromatic pushes the same question to my head as the others that I have tried:

"Is there an aromatic that exists which maintains a center?"

It seems to me that when tobacco is used for aromatics, it is almost completely unable to keep its original body and flavor. The tobacco merely becomes a vehicle to carry hints, whisps, flavor bombs, and goops. I would like to smoke an aromatic that holds its body / center as well as its unique topping.

You know Latakia eh? You know, "that one"? Has anyone ever questioned that they were smoking Latakia? I say not unless you lost your tongue in Nam. When you smoke Latakia, you say something like "yeah baby, LATAKIA!" You don't say, "What f-ing tobacco is this?"

So far, every "reputable" aromatic that I have smoked makes me go, "what F-ing tobacco is this?" I can taste the maple, the vanilla, the mystery casing, the sugar, but not the tobacco itself. The tobacco becomes a brown-grey tasting bog, with the Tollund Bog Man still buried inside of it. And you know what? If the Bog Man were to wake up inside of your aromatic, 3000 years after his death, the first thing he would say is:

"What f-ing tobacco is this?"

Here's a comparison:

I like Treebeard more than I like C&D's Autumn Evening, which is unfortunate, because I REALLY want to like Autumn Evening. But the truth is that they both have no center, and Treebeard wins because I can taste more of the goodies on top of the Bog Man.

As a huge fan of Tolkien, I wanted this blend to be as strong as Tolkien's legacy, and as strong as the character of Treebeard. As it is, it is nowhere near either. This blend should not be named Treebeard. It should be named after some inconsequential squib character that barely gets mentioned. The character should be one of those shady guys who lives in Bree and kisses Bill Ferny's a$s.

The name of this blend should be something like, "Mangar Turdburgle".

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)

This tobacco was just the right humidity when I opened the 1oz pouch I had purchased.

It smelled sweet with a bit of a smokey flavor mixed in. I loaded up my pipe with it and lit it up. The pleasant vanilla and almost caramel vapors were wonderful to smell. The blend seems to be balanced quite nicely. The only problem I had was that it seemed low in flavor on the tongue and not much of a N-kick.

It is a decent tobacco and will be pleasant to those around you.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)

This is my first foray into the Middle Earth Series from JFH. This seems to me to be quite a mild blend in taste and aroma. The room note seems quite nice. There seems to be a decent amount of Vitamin N along with a nice amount of smoke produced and little or no gurgle while smoking and it burns down to a nice ash at the end of the bowl. I would recommend this to a new smoker and the old hand as well. You should get a few compliments from those around you in the smoking area and passers-by as well.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I thought I had reached the ultimate with JFH's Golden Cashmere, but I think I like this one just as well. I thought I detected a little Perique, but I guess not. The flavor is just sublime, and it burns really well, leaving a fine gray ash when it's all over. For those who like aromatics, you just can't go wrong with this one! My two ounce bag (received today along with Longbottom Leaf) will not be enough! If you give the folks at JFH a try, you will be pleased with their products and quick shipping (6.60 flat rate!) if you aren't fortunate enough to live close by so you can stop in and meet them!

Dan, Cordoba Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan, Cordoba Man (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is my absolute favorite now. Excellent after dinner or even while eating. The room note is nice and the flavor is divine. Burns well and many compliments on the aroma. Second light burns right to the bottom. A great one to try.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very tasty aromatic, although I don't concur with many of the reviewers who taste vanilla or chocolate (taste is an awfully subjective thing, after all). It reminds me a little bit of Deep Hollow, only much better. Like C&D's Autumn Evening, this seemes to be built primarily from Virginia leaf and you can actually taste the Va through the casing. My chief complaints are that it bites more than I'd like (even for a Va-based aromatic) and that it seems to grow tiresome quickly. I recommend this if you like this type of blend, but I also suggest using a small pipe!

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a wonderful re-working of "Old Church" by Ashton.This now defunct blend has been resurrected and given a slight chocolate/vanilla top note. Very yummy and very different. A cased Virginia. Fans of "Autumn Evening" will like this. A solid 3 stars.

Gandalf the Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gandalf the Grey (9)

I've tried this blend, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm a fan of most of the JFH blends, especially their middle earth pipeweed series.

However, I'm going to write this review on behalf of a good friend of mine who has declared this to be his absolute favorite tobacco of all.

Treebeard is indeed a grown-up version of the longbottom leaf blend, but it's got an extra hint of complexity in there that I just can't put my finger on. It has a definite deep woodsy, earthy sort of taste and aroma, which comes as no surprise because Just For Him has succeeded in capturing the essence of Tolkien's work on more than several blends so far.

Just like the fictional forest, full of dark and angry trees, centuries old, rich earth, and decades and decades of isolation, this tobacco invokes the essence of a fantastic, otherworldly sort of place. Best enjoyed in a churchwarden, Treebeard is a complex but quiet blend. It's more atmospheric than active when smoked, preferring to suggest rather than define the flavors that it's made of. A masterful little blend, my friend finds it to be the very reason he smokes a pipe, and I don't blame him.

This woody gem is definetly worth a try.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)

Treebeard is another special blend from Just For Him. They classify it as aromatic English.

This is truly Long-Bottom Leaf with a little more kick.(See my review of LBL). However, not enough kick that I would like but its good for a sweet treat. The sweetness is not overdone and if your looking to try something to satisfy that tobacky sweet tooth you may want to fire some of this up.

In the Middle-Earth Pipeweed line I recommend Short-Cut To Mushroom and in the Just For Him blends I recommend Just For Him...if your looking for something with a hint of sweetness. Just For Him blend starts off creamy and rounds off into a delicious nutty euphoria. You can find these at justforhim.com. Call them they will sell by oz.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I decided to try the Middle Earth Pipeweed while I was reading Lord of the Rings. I didn't read the descriptions, I just requested all four.

Treebeard is the first in the series that I have tried. When I read the description I immediately thought, "Uh-oh... Vanilla". I suspected that someone was trying to cash in on the current LOTR popularity with some cheap heavily cased tobacco, and that this wasn?t going to be a very pleasant experience.

I needn?t have worried. I opened the pouch and found a very natural-smelling blend. Yes, there was vanilla present, but it smelled natural as well. The cut is nice, a mixture of short and medium ribbon. A mixture of predominantly reddish-brown leaf with a nice mix of dark (almost black) and bright highlights make for a visually appealing blend.

Treebeard packs easily, as you would expect from the cut. Moisture content is OK, but a bit of drying wouldn?t hurt.

Lighting was easy. On the initial light you get a taste of the vanilla, which isn?t overdone at all, nor does it taste like candy. The red Virginia comes into play right away, and the vanilla stays in the background. As the bowl progresses, the Burley comes out now and again. The vanilla is always there, as is the Virginia. If not for the Burley, this would be a truly one-dimensional smoke. The sweetness of the Virginia keeps it pleasant.

This is a cased Virginia ? take normal precautions for your tongue. Smoke it slowly and enjoy it.

The room note is actually quite pleasant. It almost doesn?t smell like smoke. Where the vanilla is a secondary player in the bowl, in the room it dominates with the Virginia in support. The aroma is light and fresh.

On the Just For Him website this tobacco is listed by the pound only. If you contact them by email or phone, you can buy it by the ounce.