Cube-cut with Honey-Hive flavoring ... just a youngster as our blends go ... since 1948 ... but what a blend! You can smoke it day in and day out and never tire of the flavor. What can you say about a blend like this in a short space ... it's really elegant smoking. Too good to blend with anything else.

BrandUhle's
CutMixture
Packaging1.5 oz bag, 7 oz bag, 14 oz bag
Strength
Taste

Uhle’s is one of America’s few and true pipe shops. Which is a nice thing, but it is the quality of their blends, especially their Burley and the excellent Bishop’s Move (English) that really attracts me to Uhle’s. Blend 300 is a cube cut, kind of “old timey” Burley that is lightly sweetened with honey. I just gravity fill the bowl and settle back for a long smoke. Uhle’s website has Blend 300 listed under their non-aromatic section, but I personally would call this an aromatic, albeit a light one. Either way, the sweet and nutty flavor never turns bitter and burns cleanly. Sometimes, simple is a very good thing and Blend 300 is just that.

Purchased From: www.uhles.com

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

If I could give the blend 2.5 stars, I would.

I find it a bit bitey and it can burn a bit hot.

The cube cut is great for outdoor smoking.

Strongly recommend not tamping, and not packing it either, just gravity feed it loosely in the bowl.

A small amount burns for a long time.

I think PS Cube Cut is fairly similar, less expensive, and has the same overall characteristics... this might have a teeny bit more burley in it.

By the way, I love burley blends, and would reach for Edgeworth or Prince Albert Choice over this. Just MHO. I don't like the casing, and I am not a big fan of cube cuts either.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

What can I say other than this was a really nice Burley with just the right amount of sweetness. The honey flavor was pretty mild but just added a nice sweetness. I like Perfection Plug better but this is non-the-less a great smoke.

Soli Deo gloria!

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)

I'm a burley fan and a believer that they can give you some very interesting nuance if coerced through proper puffing. Usually burleys will bear out notes that are quite nutty (OTCs), or earthy (C&D), or some combination thereof. They are usually quite linear from top to bottom and generally reviled by both aromatic lovers and anglophiles as having too much 'cigarette' flavor.

This particular burley comes fantastically prepped in a cube-cut and ready to go out of the bag. The sweetness provided by the mild casing/dressing is too light to be perceived in taste, but does impart some noticeable variation on the traditional burley flavor. The nuttiness is quite noticeably absent and the 'rough edges' present in some OTC burleys and even some blending houses of note has been smoothed out quite nicely here.

This could be your all-day everyday tobacco, but don't look for great depth of character in it. This is very dependable and pleasant. My impression of Uhle's in general is quite good after testing #300, #00, and Bishop's Move, a stout English blend.

I split a 1.5 oz sample with a friend, so this review is based on just .75 oz or so.

Honey-Hive flavoring... well, ok, if they say so. I've tasted more honey in other tobaccos - it was quite faint in this one, and I'm not even sure it was honey. There was a slightly sweet quality to the cube cut burley, and that sweetness was not what I associate with straight burleys. On the other hand, Uhle's classifies this one as an aromatic, so their definition of same is considerably tighter than my own.

I enjoyed this one as a straight smoke. As with the Perettis BCP I just reviewed, I doubt this will be more than an occasional smoke, but it was nice. The flavor was never overbearing, and this one accepted some overpuffing with hardly more than a whimper. Very gentlemanly blend, with the usual burley nuttiness in every puff. I preferred the additional sweetener in their Perfection Plug but this one is geared toward the more natural side, based on my small sample. I recommend everyone interested in burley try this one, as I find myself constantly amazed at the nuances inherent in many burley blends. That leaf is quite the chameleon at times and at others, quite the pied piper. This is a good example.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)

My 4oz order was absent the day the HoneyHive was divvied up. I have kept this cellered in the hopes that a different bowl would leverage the hidden flavor but the best was only a hint what others have enjoyed more fully. Good tobacco but not what I had hoped for. Nuttin' Honey....

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

I can't add much of value other than to say "I love this blend"! There are days when nothing will "do it" for me but Uhle's 300. It's not an everyday smoke for me, but one that is firmly seated in my regular rotation. Try it...it may just crank your tractor!

NorthwoodsSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NorthwoodsSmoker (8)

This blend just didn't do it for me. I tasted very little honey at all. I did however get a toasted burley flavor. The tobacco was top notch as I have come to expect from Uhle's. I just can't get past the fact that it didn't taste like honey at all to me. The pouch aroma is very nice, I just wished it tasted like it smelled in the pouch. The room note is nothing spectacular but is also not offending. In conclusion it missed the mark for me by not giving a honey taste. I won't be picking up another pouch. Might be worth a try if you like a very mild aromatic.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

If you like Peretti's #333 you will like this. A very similar blend in cut, aroma, and taste! I loved it! This, for me , is actually better than #333 for one reason- NO NICOTINE wallop! One of the best Burley tobaccos on the market. 4 of 4 stars!

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It looks like I will be the first reviewer to offer a dissenting opinion of this blend. Others have found the ?honey ?hive? flavoring light and the casing slight. I don?t totally disagree. The honey flavor wasn?t overwhelming but it was pretty much all I could taste and it was constant throughout the bowls I smoked. For me it muted, if not masked, any true and honest burley flavor that my palate and I were searching for. We were trying to find ?nutin? honey? but all we found was honey. Make no mistake, though, this is a quality blend by a long established B&M. I have no doubt I?ll be one of the few reviewers who post a negative review.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 6.8 out of 10.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you are looking for a superb cube-cut Burley blend, with just a hint of honey flavor, this will make you smile. A delight for the Burley lover.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Blend 300 is the chicken soup of pipe tobaccoes. Like the old joke says, "It couldn't hurt!"

There is a lot written on this website about a "desert island" smoke, and which blend one would wish to have. Personally, if I were marooned on a desert island, even after 35 tears of puffing, I'd choose Mary Anne and a pack of Luckies over ANY pipe tobacco.

But if I were doing paperwork, stuck in traffic, bored, undecided, watching a baseball game, mowing grass, surfing the Web...or any of the more likely predicaments to beset modern man...Blend 300 would be what I would reach for. Irrespective of one's preference, I doubt there is a true pipe smoker out there who would dump out the pale gray ash of 300 and not feel he (or she) has not had a decent smoke.

The "honey hive" flavoring is barely noticeable, adding just the right sweetness. The Burleys are both creamy and nutty...and it all comes together tasting like TOBACCO!

Highest accolades!

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a fabulous cubed Burley blend in the fine tradition of classic American blends. This is the epitome of old-fashioned pipe tobacco. If you at all enjoy Pease's Barbary Coast, then you must try this fine tobacco. In my opinion, it is a superior example of what good Burley should be.

The quality of the leaf is excellent. Nice smallish cubes with some light and dark flake that packs well and burns effortlessly. All the nutty/creamy Burley flavor you could want with none of the bitterness. The casing is very slight - just enough to gently sweeten the Burley and enhance the fragrance. I can almost taste cinnamon and brown sugar in the background. The room aroma will never offend anyone.

This tobacco is one of the best I have smoked over the years and certainly at the top-of-the-class for Burleys. I would really like to see more folks try Uhle's tobaccos. They are a small shop that turns out really great product in the fine American tradition (although they have some Latakia blends that are really excellent as well).

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Blend 300 is a great smoke .The room note is very pleasing and the tobaccos go together in harmony. The burley is just nutty enough , and the honey hive flavoring is non-cloying. I think I might blend it with their number 71 blend. Bottom line this is my go to blend.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)

There's not a lot I can say other than to refer you to the prior reviewer's comments with which I am in wholehearted agreement. The honey flavoring is in just the right amount so as to allow the tobacco taste to come through. I might add that this is a great tobacco to smoke outdoors as it stays cool and smokes quite dry. Perfect for smoking in an old Kaywoodie or cob while playing catch with my son on a summer evening, or as a post-lunch treat while haplessly casting for muskies. Highly recommended.

nights1977 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nights1977 (1)

I have to give credit where credit is due. Uhle's Blend #300 has become my new "go to" smoke.

Now I know some of you might see "Honey-Hive flavoring" and commence to shudder but I really must say it is quite delightful. Not sickeningly sweet and cloying like you might suspect, I would describe it as almost crisp and clean. On first light an almost ethereal whisper of honey emanates from the bowl. This soon settles into a solid, slighty sweet and nutty burley flavor. It burns evenly right to the bottom of the bowl. I would suggest to any burley lovers or someone looking for a light aromatic to give this blend a try. I am also quite proud of it being a "local" blend (Uhle's is based in Milwaukee, I'm in Appleton, WI.) Thanks for reading!