Blended ByCraig Tarler
Contents Black Cavendish, Latakia, Perique
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong

3.1
Yanis1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yanis1979 (4)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

First of all, may you all forgive my poor english as I'm french (no one's perfect uh?! ;) ). As I discovered the Cajun culture, I started to wander among all Louisiana/Bayou/Mississippi related tobaccos with this one. Definitly spicy, close to red chilli, almost like cajun food itself (think of jambalaya) with a smoked-meat taste to go along. Came quite moist out of the tin but burned fine to the end and as others mentionned earlier NO TONGUE BITE at all, even when pushed, only this peppery (almost salty in this blend) taste typical from Perique. Just missing a glass of Old New Orleans Spiced Cajun Rum to go along and you're definitly there! Smoked while listening to Charley Patton's blues. Perfect naming for this blend either the way it looks or tastes. Made me think of Dunhill's Nightcap but lighter on Latakia and heavier on Perique. A Must Try for me! 4 stars undoubtedly!

Pipe Used: french briar

Age When Smoked: fresh tin (2013)

Purchased From: cup o joe's

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

What an outstanding Latakia blend...scrumptious! I haven't as yet finished the bowl but this stuff is easily judged with just one puff...it's that good. Since smoking the Balkan Sobranie OM & enjoying it to the max, I've been on a quest to find a good Latakia blend that can compete with the great Balkans & English mixtures from days gone by...something that takes me back...& this one works. When one considers smoking a subsequent bowl, that's a sign of excellence.

This is a black/very dark, oily looking, ready rubbed blend. Tin note is similar to SPC's Plum Pudding...leathery, hickory smoked bacon, earthy, muddy, musty, smoky, sour & fermenty without a strong Latakia aroma but there's enough of it in the mix to perfectly balance the blend & arouse the senses. Not nearly as wimpy as Penzance or SPC's Plum Pudding, however. What a befitting name...Mississippi Mud.

This smoke sort of took me back to my high school days of football when I unwillingly scooped up two pounds of real mud with my lower jaw. If you're looking for an outstanding Latakia blend that is unique in flavor and reminiscent of the finer English/Balkan blends from yesteryear, look no further. I liked this better than Nightcap, Artisan's Blend, Wilderness, Tree Mixture, Britt's Balkan, Balkan Sasieni, Penzance, Westminster, Yenidje Supreme & all the "Plum Puddings," to name a few.

This has a much better flavor & more depth than most English/Balkan mixtures on the market IMO, of course. This produces tons of rich, creamy smoky flavor with "respectable" Vitamin N content & has an excellent burn rate. I have several other Latakia mixes that I will sample in the future & update at that time. The aftertaste wasn't intrusive & hangs on the palate for quite a while. The tin art takes me back to the readings of Mark Twain novels.

Yes, this definitely ranks among the top in this genre without question. I'm approaching mid-bowl now & this biteless mixture is morphing into a sweeter, softer, milder smoke that is very tasty and bathes the palate in total bliss. One can get caught up in the smoke...for those who understand & grasp the total meaning behind that statement. I received subtle nuances of The Balkan Sobranie, MM 965 & Aperitif in the smoke. It's an incredible blending accomplishment from Craig Tarler at Cornell & Diehl. I will highly recommend this blend without reservation.

I find no need in finishing the bowl before completing this review since it just keeps getting better. I sense that the "grand finally" will be awesome...& it was! The quality of this blend is truly admirable. I have finally found a Latakia blend that ranks near the top in my rotation & enthralls me almost as much as the Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture. I will be scooping up more Mississippi Mud & cellaring plenty for future, contemplative celestial moments.

I will eventually get around to reviewing Charing Cross, Odyssey & other Latakia blends but it might take a while to detract me from the alluring qualities of this blend. Therefore, IMHO, Mississippi Mud merits four **s plus!!! Destined to become a classic. Trust me...my palate has license to mill. Join me at my campfire on the riverbank for a "Mud" Ball. Try it, you'll like it! Sampled in a 2S Dunhill & a size 2 Stanwell.

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (10)

Just what the name implies...MUD! Perique, Latakia, and unsweetened black cavendish. All these tobaccos scream earthy, muddy, sweet wood notes. The Latakia brings smokiness, and the perique brings that mossy earthiness. The kicker is the sweetness from the Cavendish which brings balance to the different tobacco's. All in all another great blend from C&D and something maby to strong for some but great on a warm spring/summer evening after a great BBQ!

Pipe Used: Brigham Voyageur

Sparks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparks (7)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

What can I say? This is my #2 favorite tobacco. I tried this one on a whim when I friend came into the B&M with a tin of this.

As another reviewer said, it is a bit scary in the tin, both in smell and even look. All black, with some very dark brown bits from the Unflavored Black Cavendish.

Anyone that says Unflavored Black Cavendish doesn't have flavor is full of poop. It is rich and smooth, a bit cigarish. The combination of this with Latakia is just phenomenal. The two in these proportions just play off of each other so well. I don't notice the Perique per-say, but I'm sure it it doing wonderful things to this blend.

Overall, I absolutely love this blend. It is smooth, creamy and rich. I get hints of chocolate and coffee when I smoke it, and I love it in the morning with a nice strong cup of joe. 4 stars all day long.

Xeper71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xeper71 (2)
Medium to Strong Strong Extra Full Very Strong

Taste is subjective. That said, Mississippi Mud is my favorite pre-blended tobacco ever. I do not have subtle sensibilities. I love super spicy food, Lagavulin Scotch and the Mud. This blend is not subtle, it is not complex. Mississippi Mud is a simple blast of spicy, robust flavor that stings the eyes and I can smoke bowl after bowl of it. Not for everyone, but if what I describe is to your liking, this is an incredible option. I run it through my meerschaum bowl Kirsten pipe, because no tobacco on earth can burn too hot in that thing. I chug the "Mud" like a freight train in utter delight. C&D is like the Dogfish Head Brewery of tobacco and they are my faves because of it. They try new things, they experiment and that is to their credit and very fun. I am actually inquiring that they blend me something with a nuclear powered punch of latakia and perique with just a dash of something thrown in to tie it together. I will let you know! I hope this review was helpful to you. Cheers!

hypno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hypno (2)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

A lot of smoke and smoky taste, nothing else. No flavor, no zing, could be the Cavandash and lack of Virginia. One good thing, NO BITE. I finally mixed what was left of my 2 oz can with Mac Baron Plumcake. Good mixer, really wakes up the Plumcake.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, a favorite old smoke shop of mine traded hands, and what was left of the tobacco tins have gradually disappeared over the years. I don't know who's been buying them, but this tin was one of the few remaining. Dated 2004, it had some 8 years on it when I picked it up, and the contents inside were bone dry, crispy enough to resist packing.

So I came up with the idea to douse the tobacco in Rum, but having none on hand I thought Vodka might be a better bet. And then I decided to go with simple water. I had a few prior smokes, and enjoyed every one, so why bother trying to change the formula?

To me, this is a Burley blend, and I suppose I'll attribute that to the Cavendish, though I know C&D has their Virginia Cavendish. But someone mentioned the Earthy taste, and I'll concur. It's not as strong as I imagined, even with the Perique. A step behind Nightcap in my estimation, and perhaps from all of those years on the shelf.

This is really a novelty blend of sorts. Of Latakia, Perique, and Cavendish, few are actually used as a base, and though Cavendish can be quite bland and weak, you'd never know it smoking Mississippi Mud.

It's a wonderful piece of work, with a fitting tin art to match. It conveys a feeling aptly estimating the essence of this blend--a dark, thick muddy silt of an experience, a fertile ground for ideas to germinate while puffing away. I don't believe there is a blending house out there willing to take such risks as C&D (though McClelland does a fine job), and Mississippi Mud is a singular example of that ethos. Well done.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

This blend is one that can only be appreciated by the smoker. The room note is strong enough to scare my kids into doing chores. The blend has a nice tin note of fermented fruit and smoky wood, but that is not the smell that comes out of the pipe. I like the cut, it is very fine and almost coffee ground in consistency. It provides a very cool smoke that lasts and lasts. It would be good cake builder in a new pipe as long as you like large amounts of Latakia and Perique. The black Cavendish is second to none, it is not the usual heavily topped weed, but more a rich undertone that balances the Latakia masterfully. This blend is an experience any lover of Latakia and Perique should try.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

I've heard a lot about this blend, it seems to have a bit of a following. I can't for the life of me figure out why.

To my taste, the Black Cavendish just seems to clash with the Latakia.

Mississippi Mud brought about a first: My wife, who usually likes Latakia, asked me to dump the bowl at about the halfway mark the first time I smoked it around her.

LightMyBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LightMyBriar (5)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I hate to say it, but I absolutely hate this tobacco. I love Latakia, I love Perique, and black cavendish is okay...but for some reason this blend of these ingredients actually gags me. It's as if I'm puffing on second-hand smoke through a dirty sock in a humid room.

It might be best described as a weak and washed out Dunhill 965.

I think it may just be a high amount of black cavendish. It washes out the body of the smoke and makes a mouthful of staleness that I just can't convince myself to like, even after smoking nearly a whole tin. I tried to like it, I really did! But I just can't.

Is it crap? No. Is it for me? Absolutely not.

Pipe Used: Paul's Pipes Castle, Chacom Maya, Peterson Barrel

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965.

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I received a couple of tins of Mississippi Mud yesterday, a two-ounce to try and an eight-ounce to cellar. After two bowls I have the following to report:

On opening the can the tin note was earthy and a little sour. The loose, large pieces of tobacco were moist and spongy to the touch but the overall presentation was inviting. I aired a portion out for about 20 minutes and loaded up a small Turkish meer favorite of mine and set match to bowl. Two puffs and the ember died. I tamped and fired again, this time the light held and I was welcomed to a beautiful cloud of dense smoke and a flavor rush that was anticipated but unexpected none-the-less. The Latakia lent its creamy smokiness, the Perique tickled my fancy and the Cavendish sweetened the pot!!! The flavors round-robin'd throughout the bowl and I was too soon through the pack. The second bowl this morning was just as good if not better. I am absolutely sure MS Mud will become a regular member of my growing rotation.

Pipe Used: new MM Legend cob, small Turkish meerschaum

Age When Smoked: new out of the tin

Similar Blends: FMOTB, H&H Cerberus.

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)

"Someday, you will smoke latakias." - Benjamin Franklin

"Huh-uh, not this cowboy", I confidently said to myself while puffing some mild Virginias. Well, further down Tobacco Road, here I am, a bald-faced liar, desperately searching for my perfect latakia blend. Mississippi Mud has a lot to admire. Excellent latakia smokiness, sweetness, and the voodoo that perique do so well. Another plus is the tons of smoke it produces. (I lost my children momentarily while my head was encased in a dense fog of latakia and perique heavenlyness;Is that a word?.) It has been a bit of a pain to keep lit, but honestly, I never bother to dry it out. Definitely worth a try!

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I love Latakia and Perique so it has to be the Black Cavendish that puts me off this blend. I've had this tin for almost a year and I can't bring myself to finish it. Maybe one day I will...maybe.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Full Latakia / Perique blend rounded by the Cavendish, this is a unique blend with good strenght and great flavour!

wbradk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wbradk (1)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

Many reviews of other blends use terms like "hint" of this or "note" of that. This powerful blend does not have many hints or notes. This Cornell & Diehl offering comes at you with the subtlety of an incoming howitzer shell, size XL. The can says "An unusual blend of Perique, Latakia & unsweetened black cavendish. A truly cool smoke with a flavor unlike any other." It is all true. An intense earthy flavor and smokey aroma that hits right between the eyes.

This extraordinary blend is aptly named. Mississippi Mud. When I was a young man I worked on tugboats out of southern Louisiana on the river delta, and the taste of this tobacco did bring back memories of that place. There is a certain earthy smell about the river area down there, not unpleasant, and I swear that as I finished the bowl I could smell it all again after all of these years.

I used a Missouri Meerschaum corncob, which only seemed appropriate and worked out very well. This tobacco is not for every smoker, and I would not want to make a steady diet of it. But, I highly recommend it if you enjoy a strong smoke now and again. It really is unlike any other that I have seen.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

WOW!!! Well let me start off saying that I am a long time cigar smoker that is now making my way over to the pipe world. After reading several reviews here I couldn' help but give this smoke a try and boy am I glad I did! Being from Louisiana, it comes by nature to be drawn towards strong, spicy things. Once I opened the can it was love at first sight. The rich dark brown (Mississippi Mud)* just jumped out at me and reminded me of a smell that only comes from cooking a sauce piquante. I was like a kid in a candy store by this point quickly grabed an Abita Amber and retired myself to the front porch to enjoy a rare cool spring night! This one will be a top three for me!

DRijkers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DRijkers (14)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Tin note has some chocolate that was more pronounced upon initial opening. That's since faded. I was quite excited about this blend, but after smoking it for a bit I cannot warm up to it. I think that's too bad, because I would really like to like this one. For me, Squadron Leader is better.

zierro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zierro (11)
Very Strong None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Tin opens to a nice slightly chocolate aroma. Someone here mentioned it smelled like canned pig farts. Guess I'm a fan of pig farts. Filled a bowl fresh from the opened tin, and it smoked clean, smooth, evenly,with no bite. An amazing blend that is so balanced that it simply bored me. The latakia and Perique are there, but the flavor is muted by the black cav. I tried so hard to find some variation of flavor that I ended up drawing to hard, to often and ended up with nothing but the hic-ups, from sucking up the nicotine. I salute C&D for an innovative blend that will find a following. Personally, I won't smoke another bowl.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tasty! For me - perfect blend of latakia and perique. Creaminess to the body of the smoke, with nice peppery note on the retrohale. Lights easy and burns clean. 4* blend!

Pipe Used: Grabow

Age When Smoked: Unknown.

Purchased From: Gifted from BOTL - Thanks Rick!

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Strong

Upon opening this tin I was like oh my god what in the world is this going to taste like. My first bowl I just could not keep lit and had to age this tobacco for a few weeks after opening. This is one of those offerings that you wonder why it works but if you enjoy it you understand. The taste is just not for everyone and my wife she cannot stand the room note. I simply have fallen in love with this tobacco it is really an enjoyable smoke. I try to smoke at least one bowl of this every week. It is super mild, no bite at all, but oh so flavorful. It produces a thick, rich smoke and the skeeters will leave you alone for sure!

Pipe Used: Jobey Stromboli 115 heavy rusticated

Age When Smoked: 3 weeks after tin opened

Purchased From: JR Cigar, NC

Similar Blends: Not quite sure if there is one!.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Most of the positive reviews have said it all, however I would like to add 4 more stars. Smokes cool down to the white ash. if you like latakia you will enjoy this blend this is as good as it gets.

Pipe Used: wessex 609

Purchased From: smoking pipes

SBC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SBC (20)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

The scent in the can is robust and savory, and very much like wood smoke pricking your nose from a neighbor's chimney.

Taste in the mouth is what the scent led me to expect-- very full, robust, smoky, savory.

The taste is somehow as "dark" as the tobacco looks.

The smoke is satisfying like chewing on steak (NOT that steak is in the flavor profile).

Certainly recommended if that's what you're looking for.

It did burn fairly hot in my cob... other reviewers found it cool, so perhaps mine was a tad dry.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is just a nice blend in my opinion. The latakia makes itself known in the tin note. The tobacco is of darker appearance and has a nice 'muddy' look to it.

Perique is in a nice dose, doesn't bother me in any amount though, but adds to the latakia here. Burns cool, and down to the bottom easily enough.

A very pleasing smoke in either briars or cobs. It is a strong tobacco, so don't smoke it in your ladies company, she won't like it guaranteed.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

Smokey and earthy with a just a hint of sweetness lurking in the background. Different, but I like it.

batdemon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
batdemon (2)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Amazing sums it up. This hits you right out of the gate, in a good way. The lat and perique combine to make your mouth dance. Full bodied and tasty. Unique blend that is well worth trying if you like Lat and/or Perique. Be warned that it does have some kick to it.

teniscat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teniscat (11)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Mellow, tasty and about the right strength for me. Burns well and easy to pack. A bit boring after awhile, but a very good smoke. One of CD best.imho. Cavendish in the forefront and the latakia hiding in the shadows.

Chasm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chasm (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Looks to be that I will again be the contrarian on this one - 2 Stars for effort, but not much else.

Admittedly, I have not delved very deep into the C&D well, but this one suffers from the same deficit I've felt about all the blends I've tried so far: no spark.

I really wanted to like this one - especially after opening the tin and getting a whiff. I am a big fan of strong, offbeat tastes: Laphroag, Guinness, Latakia, and the strong earthy, almost manure-like aroma of this tin definitely had me intrigued.

But much like Sunset Harbor Flake before it, Mud came up less than the sum of its' parts: flat, unbalanced, meh.

Unless I can get a couple of "do-not-miss-this" recommendations regarding other C&D blends, I'm going to come to the conclusion that the guiding philosophy of this brand is, "throw every combination and technique at the wall, and hopefully something will stick."

Mud, indeed.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Overwhelming

This blend for me was an intense smoke. The nic hit was not so much the issue as it was the room note and the bold flavor. The name really says it all, it tastes dark and heavy. The latakia and perique take turns slapping you in the face on this one and don't wear cloths that you don't want to stink after your smoke, the scent from this one sticks to everything, it's for sure an outdoor smoke. This one for me was good during late winter to early spring, when your nose is cold and your not sure if you'll taste the tobacco, grab your pipe sit on the porch and smoke this stuff. My friend used to smoke this under his carport and for a long time even the bricks on the wall next to where he sat smelled like the room note of this blend. A stout blend, enjoyable, but not for the faint of heart. Kind of makes me think of cajun/creole cooking.

IrishHare79 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IrishHare79 (4)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is the first blend that I tried that was not a Tinderbox blend. Black blend, Very pungent smell of latakia but not the "campfire" smell like Tinderbox tobaccos. Packs easily in different sized pipes and with different methods. I prefer to let it dry some after packing. It will bit your tongue if puffed to fast. Good amounts of smoke that seems to swell in your mouth. Taste is earthy, leathery, with hints of dried raisins(not the plump juicy Cali raisins). Not much in spiciness or sweetness. Creates a nice white ash, and stays lit nicely without many relights.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is a truly great tobacco. It busts outta all genre's. You have to try this. Sweet, smoky, tangy, and with a nicotine hit that makes you dizzy. No bite anywhere to be found. Enough with the balkans and english mixtures, this is my new favorite type of smoke. Butt kickin smoky buzz.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Well, my first foray into Mr. Tarler's world, and I got it by the right feet: Mississipi Mud.

I'm not into the Latakia things that much lately, mostly because the EM or Balkans are what they used to be any longer … (yes: the same old song). I was in love with Nightcap and, right or wrong, Mississipi Mud is the closest thing I'm coming across in long years.

This quasi-black blend of Latakia, Black Cavendish and Perique is perfectly smooth and balanced, medium in strength, yet absolutely full in body. A pleasant contrasted bitter-sweet-dry taste, the smokiness of the Latakia (Syrian ?) well tempered by the toastiness of the BC. The Perique is used with generous hand, but its initial pepperiness to the nose settles soon at mid bowl leaving place to a very pleasant stewed-fruits low note. Mellowness improves going to the bottom, and the flavours are melting into a creamy cigar…

A true masterpiece to my tongue, palate and nose.

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

As others have said here, opening a tin of this for the first time may scare the pipe out of your mouth. But the tobacco is a really easy and satisfying smoke. My only problem with it is it tends to leave a strange aftertaste in my mouth with some pipes.

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (12)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

"SIIIIIMMMMBAAAAAAH!!!!"

(I have no idea what that means, but that's how it feels).

Another no horsesh*t, straight to the big-boy parlor blend for Mr. Tarler. These full-on dark blends are not for the "keep my $700 freehand polished like a billiard ball, no, don't touch it, don't even look at my pipe!" crowd, nor the "uncomplicated means unsophisticated" group.

Yeah, there's a little of this, and a little of that here, but it's pretty much one big, toasty POW!

That is my word for The Mud, "Toasty". It tastes toasty. The tin note has a lot of wang from the Perique, almost offputting. There are some bitters that cut through in the taste, not sure where from, perhaps from Lord Cavendish? Those bitters are what keeps The Mud from having any rounding to the taste.

The heavy Latakia-bomb blends that I like are all "smokey". The Mud is toasty. The L-bomb blends manage to have a small roundness in places. Not with The Mud - it's just a straight drive to Toasty Town.

Strong tobacco, proceed with caution.

For me, Cap'n Earle's Ten Russians is the dark blend constant. But having The Mud in the rotation, as a reliever, is a nice change of pace. It's exciting.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Craig Tarler is a genius. There is no other possible description of one who can think out of the box and come up with a blend such as Mississippi Mud. It is truly unique. The blend notes above do not lie. Not an aro'. Not an English...just unique. The only other blends I can remotely compare the Mud to are McClellands Syrian Full Balkan (based on smoking experience and tin appearance, not on components)and C&D's own bulk English blend, Byzantium. SFB is all cool, almost, menthol-like Latakia with little other flavor. Mississippi Mud is cool but not mentholy and does have notable flavor. Byzantium is Latakia, Turkish and Perique; it is somewhat spicy with just a hint of bitterness (I just smoked a bowl of it before typing this; smoked the Mud a couple hours ago). I suspect Craig replaced the Turkish in Byzantium with unflavored black cavendish (possibly prepared from Green River Valley burley) in this blend. No matter. The result by whatever route is wonderful. Toasty nutty flavor, mellow smokiness and just a touch of peppery spice.

Enjoyable at any time of day.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Fabulous, excellent, wonderful!

Easy to smoke blend with funny name (maybe because of its black colour?) needs full stomach and proper attention otherwise it would kick you down.

My rate: 5.0

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Trying to get the most out of the dwindling range of C&D tobaccos being offered in Germany, I bought this blend (among others) a few weeks ago, at the only direct importer's to my home country, who are going to stop importing C&D blends soon because of a pricing/taxes issue.

Though my reviews so far may do not do justice to my liking of Latakia, here goes.

Opening the tin, it's very dark browns and blacks: mud colours. The tin note shows off the Latakia pretty thoroughly. My tin contained leaf that was rather dry for what I am used to from C&D so far; still smokeable from the tin though, especially since I am used to C&D blends being rather on the moist side.

The cut lends itself to the medium-sized bowls; fills easily, lights easily, and from the beginning, there is the full Latakia taste and typical Latakia "aroma" (my GF qualifies it as "stink"...). The real surprise is the taste, which is much more mellow than the usual LA/Per combination; the Cavendish really comes through the longer the smoke lasts. Beautiful. This is one of the blends that, after a long absence, has got me back on to Latakia blends.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Love this one. Smokes smooth and cool all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The tin aroma is a bit scary. I popped this sucker open and took a wiff and said "Oh Boy this one is going to hurt" but alas it was pure bliss. Awesome stuff!!!

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Great Stuff! Bought one tin, immediately ordered 4 more. 'Nuff said.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is good stuff. It's hard to describe the sweetness. It's sort of chocolaty and tangy. Kind of like the tin art colors. Cool smoking and soothing. It's been three days and the tin is half gone. Will definitely get more.

Edit: The above was written 4 tins ago. A pound arrived today. This is the first tobacco I liked well enough to order a pound. The tobacco in the 1 lb tin is no different than in the 2 oz tin.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Fagettabotit! This stuff is powerful, full of taste and not for the timid. I love it. Each puff provides a slightly different taste, First: the latakia- then the perique and finally the black Cavandish. This is really a treat for the experienced pipe smoker who gets bored with their usual tobacco and wants a jolt. This is the tobacco version of RED BULL!

Schwetty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schwetty (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

This is a blend that I have been wanting to try for some time now. Needless to say C&D blends are of high quality, and are easy to smoke. The appearance upon opening the tin is pure black flaked perfection. The aroma is heady, with a strong musty almost barn-like smell.

This blend is not for the faint of heart. Loving Latakia helps here in that it is almost as full as Old Ironsides with added Perique for a slight peppery flavor. Latakia in general has a low nicotine content, but this blend has a bit of a kick to it. I can see smoking it after a big meal, not on an empty stomach.

The flavor is Latakia right up front with the Perique making a nice compliment and a little cavendish to mellow things out. The smoke is fragrant, and enjoyable with large white plumes, assuming you like the smell of burning Latakia. Room note is tolerable to those around me, but probably best smoked outside, or in a well ventilated area. My Oreck air purifier does a nice job at ameliorating just about any tobacco smoke in my home office!

The taste is a very creamy, cool leathery taste with a gentle Perique aftertaste.

I would recommend this blend to anyone who loves Latakia, and wishes for a slightly stronger blend. It smokes cool all the way down to the bottom of the bowl with a dry,white ash.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

This stuff smells like someone pissed on a campfire when you smoke it, so don't expect to make any friends in a crowded room. That being said, it tastes great. Burns clean and has a deep, smokey flavor to it. One could smoke this all day and not get tongue bite. It burns cool and smokes dry. A particularly good winter time smoke when outdoors.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (69)

A beautiful black ribbon cut that has the great aroma of latakia when opening the tim. Really like this. The cavendish added to the blend is different than the usual virginian. Burned nicely and will add a nice cake to my Dunhill. Continue to go back to the this which is a good sign. Can be a regular but haven't smoked it around anyone so don't know how it is preceived by others in proximity...always a nice test to see how the room note is. Will continue through the tin and add to the review.

Con Brio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Con Brio (6)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Overwhelming

Mississippi Mud scared my girlfriend out of the house. This was strange since she never once complained about any other tobacco. I really like this blend- epecially when I want to be alone.

Argo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Argo (17)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Quite satisfying due to the high latakia content. It can get a bit harsh as I feel the cavendish doesn't sufficiently balance the rest of the tobacco. It prefers small bowls I think. I am not a fan of the unsweetened black cavendish C&D uses in any of their blends, it tastes like absolutely nothing. If they could find a different way to mellow the punch of the Latakia and Perique this blend would improve for me. It's still a enjoyable for the Perique and Latakia fan, so it gets an overall positive rating from me.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

I have tried several C&D blends, and only one of them has made me want to come back for more. This isn't it. (It was Bayou Morning Flake, if you're wondering) The concept of MM was intriguing, the idea of all the black tobaccos in the same blend. I tried something similar years ago with rubbed-out Dark Star and very small portions of latakia and perique. I called it "New Moon," and it did have a certain charm to it. And the flavor of MM was mildly interesting, though at times confusing to the palate, and the aroma was unique.

As a side note, I have seen several reviewers on this website say that they have a perique allergy. Until I smoked MM, I always thought that comment was strange. Now I understand! It made me sneeze, and left me with a frog in my throat. Not a deal breaker if I like the blend in other ways, but that definitely added to the negative experience of smoking this.

The only C&D blend I haven't tried but want to is Bow-Legged Bear. Other than that, this brand as a whole has almost always been disappointing and I'm about to say goodbye to it.

Update: Be warned the cavendish will flavor your pipe for at least the next several smokes.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

This is a somewhat different blend or genre of tobacco than I'm used to smoking.I was looking for a strong and hearty latakia blend and the Mud seemed to fit the description.I dont have much to compare it to as I've only had a few different latakia blends, so bearing that in mind please continue. Unfortunately I feel it lacks in the strength and fullness of flavor department others have described.I'm not sure where the strength would come from in this blend, I was under the impression that latakia and black cav. were very mild as far as nicotine goes and what little perique is in it couldnt possibly deliver much strength. I never really understood what was meant by one-sided or monochromatic untill I tried MM, although I dont think its a negative characteristic of the tobac,I now know what these terms are conveying. The quality is there for sure,it burns very cool,there is no bite or bitterness,the aroma is wonderful and there is a nice mild smokey flavor to it,I think the latakia is of better quality than the bulk mcCllelands I've sampled.A change of pace,and a appropriate smoke every now and then.

Townsend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Townsend (2)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is an excellent smoke. Very satisfying and full bodied. A rich and creamy cool smoke that just billows from the pipe.

I really like the middle of the bowl to the end. Like many reviews state the taste is somewhat one sided but that side is steady and deep.

An issue I must differ though is in regards to its strength, it did not seem all that strong.

Enjoyed it through my Peterson System. It burns wonderfully from beginning to end, with nary a moment from bag to pipe to ignition.

Put any strength concerns aside and try some. Sit outside, on a porch or a stonewall with only two matches (one should do) and a tamper and relax.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

This is definitely one-of-a-kind! This is my "go to" blend when I'm in the mood for a rich, deep, almost painfully sweet smoke. It's certainly a monotone experience, but that's not always a bad thing. It's well worth keeping a tin or two on hand. Also, this is possibly the best latakia/perique blending tobacco I've come across. Mixing even small amounts of this with virtually any straight burley or VA will produce a workable sweet English or English/American blend.

Bowser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowser (13)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

After smoking quite a few different blends, I've determined that Latakia is pretty much the only variety of tobacco I can taste. (I know not why this is, and I'm none too thrilled with it; should anyone have additional input, I'd appreciate an e-mail.) That being said, we have here another Bowser-Approved Blend.

Upon opening the tin, you're greeted with some very dark tobacco. It's also a little moist, so some drying out is necessary, as is almost without exception the case. The smell in the tin is rather strong, and the appearance would cause a non-smoking co-worker of mine to liken it to "worm dirt."

The tin smell is very indicitave of this blend's flavor. Some pipe tobacco can be inhaled relatively safely; this is not one of them. It is rather strong, but quite flavorful. The Cavendish seems to take some of the Latakia edge away, and the Perique does a nice job of imparting its spiciness. Like Smoking247 below me, I find it a bit difficult to pack, but practice makes perfect, right?

This blend is probably a bit too heavy to be al all-day smoke, but it's a nice day-ender. My first Cornell and Diehl blend most definitely will not be my last!

smoking247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking247 (4)
Very Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Essentially this is just Latakia cut with enough cavendish to make it smokable and a touch or sweetness from the Perique. If that's your cup of tea then you'll be happy. As far as room note I haven't found anyone who likes the smell of this blend, "campfire" was the kindest description. Fortunatley it tastes wonderful and to me it just smells "smoky". It burns well but I find it a bit difficult to pack. Also, for me at least, I find a bowl full lasts significantly longer than other tobaccos. I would say try this yourself though, it has a flavor that's not easily conveyed in words.

writer_robin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
writer_robin (7)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

MM is one of those blends which, as you can see from the reviews, you're either gonna love it hate it. There's no middle-of-the-road here.

It makes my mouth water, and I swear I taste chocolate. This makes a good end-of-the day smoke, because I think once you've smoked a bowl, you won't be able to taste other blend for a while.

I've loaded up my Savinelli and smoked it about half-way down without so far experiencing any of the sense alterations others have mentioned, so I don't think it's...WAIT! What was that? Did you see that? Oh, wow! I'd better sign orf now while I cang sdtill typrr.

UPDATE: 4/9/06

I'd say I enjoy it: since my first review, I've had to buy another tin, as I've already smoked the whole 2 oz. This blend is very satisfying.

Railroader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Railroader (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I'm gonna have to take a different view of this blend than the majority of other raters....I did not find MM to be strong, brutish, smelling of pig farts, or any of the other "strong" descriptions listed.

What I did find was a nice tobacco, that gives a good representation of a latakia and perique blend. It stays the same from start to finish, and is enjoyable enough. I'd have to call it pretty tame, and would suggest this to anyone who has never tried an "English", and wants to know what it's about. It'll get you started, and there will be no surprises along the way. You'll either like it or not....

I'll smoke this tin, and enjoy it, but will not go out of my way to buy it again. There are blends I like much better.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Medium Very Mild Full Strong

Not sure what to make of this stuff. It's rich and tasty, but rather strange. Like a few other of C&D's Neo-American blends, it's a bit of a brute, decidedly adventurous if not overly nuanced. Lustra's delightfully creative review pretty much sums it up.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Full Strong

I gather that some folks actually like this vile concoction and I truly can't understand why. Mississippi Mud is, in my opinion, an example of the tobacco blender gone wild and over the top. Bad Craig, bad dog!

I will admit that I haven?t had the nerve to sample no more than a half dozen bowls or so. Frankly, I just can't get past the tin aroma. It smells like canned pig farts.

Regarding the smoking qualities of the blend, the best thing I can say is that it packs easliy and stays lit well. The taste is all goopy topping seasoned with a very large dose of perique and little to no flavor emerging from the latakia and other tobaccos. I like perique, and a little Louisiana leaf is a good thing. But this "mud" is like being served a 2 oz. steak covered w/ 8 oz. of cracked pepper and smothered in sweet & sour sauce. Try this tobacco at your own risk.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Lapipatoy summed this one up great. It is a nice change of pace baccy that you wouldnt want to smoke all the time but when in the mood (and you WILL know when that is) it is an outstanding smoke! I couldnt imagine how a blend of strictly "condimental leaf" would be, but over all it has a nice flavor. It packs and burns fine with no residue left behind. I have people tell me that it smells like a campfire so I usually try to smoke this one outside.

Side note: This had been refered to as a "Blue collar smoke" dont knock it because of that! It does fill a certian void. I guess most of my favorite blends are blue collar, but that dosen't make 'em bad!!

Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant

A great tobacco for the Latakia/Perique lover. It has a slightly sweet note to it,probably from the black cavendish. It is very full and sweet. I think smokers who enjoy STRONG tobaccos will like this one. This has a pretty hefty nicotine hit and gives me hic-cups. Aside from that, I say try it . A very unique tobacco. 3 of 4 stars

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Every once in awhile you want to indulge in something sinfully delicious. In the pipe tobacco world that sweet indulgence is Mississippi Mud. Like its namesake, this is a triple chocolate latakia overload oozing with layers of fudgy fired cavendish, perique and latakia brownie mix. Don't smoke this early in the day or you won't taste much of anything else. You may not care, though, as MM is that good. This stuff is definitely habit forming. Splendid with a rich cup of coffee such as African Ngoro Ngoro from Montecruz, the same makers as the cigars. I like this much better than Pirate Kake by the same maker. It puts Nightcap to shame. While it doesn't offer a great array of complex flavors, it's so simply delicious and fills the mouth and nose with so much powerful latakia flavor that it doesn't really make much difference. As with most C & D products, cute, at times, whimsical tin art. For the latakia lover MM is sweet revenge. Indulge yourself.

Five of five stars

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

First, I have to say that after reading all the reviews here, I expected a very strong, sense altering baccy. Being that my everyday smoke is a blend made up at my local tobacconist of Cyprian Latakia, Black Cavendish and a touch of Perique, It sounded familiar so I went for it and bought a tin. So, I loaded it up in my size 6 Dunhill and lit er up!

I found it to be a unique taste and very different from my normal blend made up locally of the same varitiles. It packed easily, burned clean and cool from start to finish and had zero tounge bite. That's where it's positives ended for me.

This blend was not strong at all, sense altering, nor was it "too much". CAO's Old Ironsides or G.L. Peace Abington is much stronger as far as Latakia goes and after a whole tin, I never noticed the perique at all. The unflavored Cavendish did not add nor take away, it was just there. In short, it was a very monochromatic flavor like the original Frog Morton only with more Latakia.

I have one more tin that after some time in the cellar, I will most likely break out for a second go around. Will update review if some age helps this blend out.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Like Pirate cake but with Perique added,and rubbed out. A manly smoke that at first I thought I would like a lot,but as I have smoked more of this I too have found it laking. The taste is as others have noted,one sided. It's strong,and really just lays there is a latakia dry acidic sort of fog.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Very Strong Mild Full Very Strong

Mississippi Mud (aptly named based solely upon appearance) manages to amalgamate the worst aspects of both lat and perique. The first third of the bowl is an semi-acidic overdose of too much perique, drowning out all other aspects of the blend. This unfortunate effect persists until mid-bowl whereupon the lat finally becomes dominant. Surprisingly, the room note is entirely latakia throughout, and a strong one at that; extremely leathery and lacking the complexity of Syrian lat. It is certainly not a crowd-pleaser, unless you are at a pipe convention.

On the positive site, Mud packs and smokes easily and requires few re-lights. Even this could be construed as a negative though since it doesn?t force you to take enough oxygen breaks. By the last third of the bowl, anyone with any sensitivity to nicotine (myself included) should be looking for a fallout shelter; this stuff will send your head reeling. Perhaps it shows my relative inexperience with a briar, but I do not wish to try another bowl of this. I?ll relegate it to the same bin of evil as Blue Note and Erinmore.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (46)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Rev:11/21/04 Tin dated 08/11/04 I'm currently sitting here enjoying a bowl of Mississippi Mud now. I love this stuff, As others have said its a wonderful Latakia/Perique mixture. The coolness of this smoke reminds me of Frog Morton original. Zero bite here as well. The play between the Latakia/Perique is phenomenal in this blend as neither takes over for long. Just a happy coexistence. Smoke slowly and you can lose yourself in this blend. A great blend for fans of the above and has easily earned a spot in my rotation. Oh by the way as with most C&D tins, the tin art is great. Hmm..This weeks picks will be Rajahs Court by day & Mississippi mud by night :)

purpleronald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purpleronald (16)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

I regularly smoke Balkan Sassieni and for a change of pace I like M Mud... I have however a problem. I love this stuff ie. latakia and perique blends are hands-down my favorites... Sometimes I smoke 'plumcake' for a mild and sweet aromatic(I thought that was rather noble of me) but here's my problem : 'My wife hates it!' Mississippi Mud is at the bottom of her list. Be careful if you go fishing; you might fumble up a bowl full of that stuff used to pack the worms... Hmmm I wonder how that might taste? I doubt it matches the heavy, earthy, natural aroma and flavors of MMud.

I think lustra stole my palate while smoking Mississippi Mud because my impressions are very similar. C&D originally tinned this blend for Uptown's Smoke Shop in Nashville. But, it was not appreciated enough at that Tennessee based B&M shop to warrant continuation as a "house blend."

I actually rather enjoyed Mississippi Mud when Uptown's had it. I am not sure why, but under the C&D label, it tastes different. It is a little rough around the edges and contains a stronger Latakia and Perique presence.

I can see where this blend might be enjoyed as an occasional smoke, but cannot fathom consuming it on a consistant basis. It's too blue collar for me.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

A bit of a bruiser, Latakia for slummers, Raven Wing's spiky-haired brother, an old familiar with a bit of rough-trade glitter. Good for a tumble in the park, but ultimately as witless as a morning-after breakfast.

Aureliano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aureliano (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this blend as a change of pace, but the flavor is a bit one sided for my taste.

Reading the other reviews, I thought that this blend would knock me out, but it didn't. After getting through the bowl I was satisfied with the strength of the smoke, but I did not get any sense that this was in anyway overwhelming or heavy.

I tend to blend this in with other additional perique or latakia to offset the cavendish and add a bit more complexity.

Overall, I enjoy this blend, but it is not one of my favorites. It is a nice bedtime smoke a few hours after dinner.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

"Voodoo Magic, Mon."

With the claims of sense altering potency and mysteriously flavorful ingredients, this was a must try for me.

Within the black, finely cut ribbons I found at first - a deceivingly cool, easy and sweet smoke. Then the earthy flavors and strength build. The nicotine, while not overwhelming, seems to augment the strangely sweet and spicey tastes of this blend.

The description claims it is a flavor unlike any other. I concur. A comparision to Nightcap is inevitable. It does not seem to have quite the astringency and nuttiness of Nightcap but it also loses that bitterness that Nightcap seems to always produce. It also seems to dull the palate less than Nightcap.

The cavendish and latakia are oddly at home with the perique. Which I have not yet found to become at all unpleasant through out the smoke. A bowl lasted me nearly two hours. Smoke it slow and even; it is rewarding.

This is certainly a special occasion tobacco. It is rich like liquor soaked chocolate. The can I have just sampled is fresh, with only about two weeks "breathing" time. I have two more cans stowed away. I can only imagine the depth and potency will increase with age.

lapipatoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lapipatoy (1)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

I like this a lot for a change of pace. This is not an every day smoke for me. I can't imagine that it could be an all day smoke for any one. But, this does have a place at the end of the day . . . sitting on my poorch . . . sipping a little Jack Daniels on ice.

If I smoked the in the house my wife would kill me. I wouldn't blame her.

It packs nicely in a medium or large bowl, and burns very well to a gray ash. The pipe is very clean after. No gunk to clean up.

Put this on your rack. You'll know when the mood is right.

DeltaSnake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeltaSnake (31)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

I tried this one day from an open sample can (I love browsing tin brands) and loved it from the start. My normal favorite, Dunhill Nightcap, has the one flaw that as one gets to the end of the bowl, gets too full and bitter, and I can never have too much perique (in my taste).

This has a strong, "peppery" taste, which lacks fullness, so the flavor would be one dimensional for some. Adding some oriental would fix that, but this brand filled my desire for a strong latakia/perique blend that tasted strong, but would overwhelm me if I smoked it more than once a day. In other words, a strong blend with a taste to my liking, that I can almost treat as an all day blend (which one can't of course, but close).

It packs nicely, lights up well, and stays lit easily. The initial puffs are on the medium side, but the latakia/perique begin to assert in a few minutes, and by the middle of the bowl are in full play. However, it's a flavor like a hot sauce as opposed to a gravy, and it burns well without bite. As you get to the end of the bowl, it can get very srong. Smoked once, you don't notice, but if you try to smoke it again too soon, you do.

I smoked it in a variety of contexts, and it's a good relaxation smoke, as it's not a good one to use when working or engaging in any type of activity that increases heart beat. Unlike some, I like a strong blend in the morning and to relax to at night, so that's mainly when I smoke it, and after meals of course. If I'm working on a project (putting something together or walking about) I smoke something lighter if the need to smoke arises.

It's a nice change of pace for those who smoke the traditional English blends, but I doubt it would become a regular smoke. Those who like burley/latakia mixes who want more punch might find this one more to their liking.

Not a smoke for beginners, but for anyone who's been around, worth a try, especially if you're a perique fan.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I purchased this product with some reservations after experiencing the horror of Crosseyed Cricket. Once I tried Mississippi Mud, I was hooked on it.

It's a strong, full flavored smoke with a latakia/perique kick that says to the smoker, "Ok, boy. It's time to stop smoking candy tobacco".

Packs well, stays lit and is an excellent smoke for the latakia/perique lover.

I can see myself smoking a lot of this in the future

Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Overwhelming Strong

Oooooh Woooowww, Deja Vu! Look at all the colors!

Yes, folks, this is some strong tobaccy!

Appearance: Dark ribbon only, hence the name:MM

Tin Aroma: Reminds me of strong fudge and prunes.

Moisture: a little moist, but not overly.

Packing: easy.

Lighting: Two vestas, easy.

Initial Flavor: whoa! The cavendish and perique dominate with the latakia slightly behind. The cavendish is not overly sweet or cloying though.

Mid-Bowl: intensifying with my throat telling me that there is lots o' perique.

Bottom of Bowl: The world is spinning, my stomach is turning, get me a bed quick! The flavor of this blend will stay with you the rest of the day. You will not be able to taste anything else.

Overall: this is a very strong flavored blend, but ironically, I could not distinguish the latakia very well. I knew it was there, but the other leaves overwhelmed it. The flavor is very monochromatic, at least to me, with it just intensifying until all you have left is a dry, dark mottled ash left. Due to the high quantities of perique, my allergies were triggered with a vengeance. The nicotine in this blend is also very high, too much for me. It left me sick for the rest of the day. I know that there are some of you who like this kind of "in your face" blend, more power to you. The quality of leaf is unquestionable, but this just was not my style. After 1.25 oz's, gave the rest away.

Rating: 2 out of 5 Points

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

I see dead people. Not normally, mind you, only when I smoke Mississippi Mud. This is sense-altering with questionable legality.

Never having dredged up a handful of sediment from the Mighty Mississippi, Craig Tarler has probably duplicated the experience analogously with his latest tobacco offering. I imagine now what that must be like, especially toward its delta in Perique country.

Opening the standard, round, resealable tin in which Cornell & Diehl packages its premium products, MM looks like Danish Black Cavendish.

The tin aroma says that the similarity ends there, for the short, black course cut is about Latakia. There is not a hint of sweetness.

MM is no glucose fix upon lighting, either. Instead, the Latakia and copious Perique take turns smacking you upside the brow.

Forget the first third, second third and final third tasting notes. MM starts where others end, then going what seems impossibly deeper.

It turned the smallish group 4 billiard used into a Refinery's chimneystack. Forget migration of flavor. This is excavation, down beyond Earth's crust.

MM is much like a dark, Cuban cigar, minus the spiciness such a stogie would profile. Adding a touch of Burley to MM might end the need to smuggle Castro's contraband.

MM barely requires more than a charring light if allowed to dry a bit prior to packing (which is quite easy, too). No re-lights required.

Mega-flavored and plumes a plenty, this is very strong, cool and dry smoking. It burns to a white ash. Try MM in a small pipe before you load your Maxima Maxima.

MM is along the lines of Dunhill's Nightcap, but making NC seem sweet and medium-bodied.

Perhaps try sprinkling MM in an English or Balkan blend needing stouter legs, or possibly spice your favorite Virginia blend.

MM is fine quality and should please many a pipster left with an occluded palate after heavy piping.