Originally prepared as our 1993 Christmas blend, Rumcake proved so popular we made it available year round. This Jamaican rum laced blend is based on a mixture we originally made for actor Basil Rathbone. Due to the keeping characteristics of the rum flavoring we prefer to offer this mixture in
8 or 16 ounce jars. This is the finest rum mixture offered anywhere!

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Taste

gratzi_tzu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gratzi_tzu (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm not sure if you can say a tobacco blend is good or bad. I must say that I, personally, really like this blend. To me, it tastes more like rumcake than rum. It's the right amount of sweet. I can definitely taste a grassy note (sorry, don't know what else to call it), like the smell of dried hay, which I really enjoy in an aromatic (I think it's the Virginia). It's simply a delicious tasting blend. Sometimes the taste is great right to the bottom of the bowl and other times it gets a bit ash tasting but I think this is due to the smoking technique. While I have smoked a lot of blends that weren't supposed to bite, I found that this one has the least bite of them all. Of the six blends I've tried from Pipeworks and Wilke, none of them bite. It has a very pleasant room note. Everyone likes the smell and many say it smells good enough to eat. Friends often tell me "it smells like cake" or "it's making me hungry". So there you go. Highly recommended. Note: I also enjoy English blends.

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have never been disappointed with any of Pipeworks & Wilke blends. Quality tobacco & flavorings are used and are harmoniously blended with flavors that actually taste like what they say. This is one of those blends that is satisfying and no doubt has a good rum backdrop flavor. Not goopy and burns terrific without bite or a nasty aftertaste. The tobacco choices used in this blend are perfectly balanced to accompany the rum. The room note is pleasant and well accepted with non-smokers around. Another superior blend...like many others from Pipeworks & Wilke!

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)

Rumcake is another aromatic marvel from the folks at P&W. It is my favorite aromatic (yet aromatics are not my favroite type of blend) and in my top five overall blends of all time. The taste is indeed all rum, and pure rum (yet rum is not my favorite liquor). There is none of that synthetic flavoring sensation one gets from many aromatics. How P&W makes this pipe-weed all come together so perfectly is a mystery I'm happy to ponder.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Clean pipe, clean palate and time to relax are all that are needed to enjoy Rumcake. P&W has taken the cynicism from my attitude toward aromatic pipe tobacco blends. Just make sure that your puffing remains moderate or the fragrant Virginia leaf will get too hot and steam-out the mild flavoring. Otherwise, a cool smoke and dry bowl await.

Take a break from your "review race" and enjoy.

alchemyhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alchemyhunter (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I recieved a sampler of Wilke Tobaccos. Of all the ones I recieved, this was the one I was least wanted. Just got it to round out the order. Now I am glad I did, as it has become my favorite (Next to PipeandCigars Butternut Burley). I especially like it with coffee in the morning after a light breakfast. And it is one of the few my wife allows me to smoke in the house, especially in the morning. It looks nice in the bag (although now it has its on canister w/ 8 oz). It smells sweet, but not overly so. One reviewer said rum raisin ice cream...dont completely agree with that, but I see how he would get that interpretation. Quite frankly I find its aroma unique and very pleasent. It packs well and lights well, although I helps to dry it a little but it is not necessary. The initial sweetness gently fades and an ever so slight spiciness slowly buils as you get deeper into the bowl. The natural tobacco taste come more as you get deeper in the pipe. As the smoker I have a hard time judging room note, but as I said my wife finds it pleasant in the morning and enjoyable in the evening. Even my carpool buddy likes it...now thats saying something. I just love this and I could see how someone would give it three stars, but this desearves four stars without a doubt. Try it in the morning. Starts sweet then buids throughout the bowl. By the time you are done, you will be ready for the rest of your day...or maybe another pipefull?

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I typically do not like aromatics. I typically do not like black cavendish.

Rumcake is an exception and one of the aromatic blends I love (the other is Pipeworks & Wilke's Royal Scot). It has a real rum flavoring and aroma that is delicious. I'm talking serious, serious, strong, rum. Not rum essence or rum-like, but island rum poured on the tobacco. Yow! The tobacco also has something in it that really gives it some zip/spice. I have no idea what it is, although I suspect it is the light strands of tobacco in the blend. At first I thought it was Turkish, but I do not think that is right. Whatever it is, it is a great nuance to an aromatic. And while there appears to be a heavy dose of black cavendish in the blend, it really does not overtake the flavor (which is a big plus for me because I would have tossed it if it did).

This is a very unique and excellent tobacco. Try it if you like aromatics, but try it if you don't. It is a one-of-a-kind blend that everyone should try.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

Another top-shelf aromatic from Pipeworks and Wilke, Rumcake delivers exactly what it advertises: delicious Christmas aromas and flavors. I would classify this blend less as rum flavored and more as literally rum cake. There's a sweetness there that's intentionally missing from more directly rum flavored blends such as Blockade Runner or Navigator. I assume this is the influence of the Royal Scot blended in? As the bowl progresses through the half-way point, the intensity of the rum flavoring increases, but that sweetness is always there in the background. The flavor reminds me of a popular rum I had in Puerto Rico, the name of which escapes me, that popularized itself by having a mild vanilla background note.

Presentation is typical P&W fine ribbon. Jar note is a bit muted- subtle rather than aggressive. I get vanilla on the charring light that quickly gives way to the signature rum cake flavor. And best of all, frequent relights are not required. Although moist, Rumcake burns evenly and smokes cool - a common theme with P&W aromatics. No goop, little dottle. Certainly recommended as an excellent aromatic. A fantastic Christmas blend. Highly recommended for fans of rum flavored anything.

Sons of Reagan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sons of Reagan (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely superb!!! A great smoke that burns cool without any tongue bite and stays lit with minimal relights. The room note is fantastic with a lot of compliments. In all, one of my favorite aromatics that has just the right amount of flavoring. Well done, Carol!!!

the old man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the old man (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

pipe works has a hit with this one. I could really taist the rum.this one is a winner in my book.

Cadence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cadence (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Very new to pipe smoking so bear with me and my first review. Upon opening this bag the sweet, clove-like smell of rum wafted and settled into my nose; I was hooked immediately.

This is a mild smoke. The aroma is intoxicating (if you like rum). I puffed on this like a child with a candy cigarette and still, no bite. I'm still learning how to properly pack my pipe and I can tell you this burns EXTREMELY well because a newbie like me had very few relights (about 8 relights compared to my usual 17 or so).

I smoked this in my parked car. Kept the windows barely cracked because I wanted to be enveloped by the smoke. It smells absolutely wonderful! Got a few stares too. I guess some men still aren't used to seeing women smoke pipes. Or maybe they thought my car was on fire because I was puffing pretty steady. I couldn't get enough of this.

Again, I'm a new smoker, but if you like aromatics or mild, non-biting tobacco, you should try this. I purchased this based on the reviews on this site, so thank you very much for your input.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent blend from Pipeworks & Wilke, where Carole demonstrates mastery, touch and above all great taste at blending time. Very light fruity flavor and dominant rum aroma, there is not a bite at any stage of the bowl and your palate will be remembering those christmas mornings of our childhood. Great tobacco for any occasion, specially after a tasty meal. Enjoy It.

greekthinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greekthinker (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

It smells great in the pouch and has a nice aroma when smoked. It comes a little on the moist side, but thats because it is fresh. I find the flavor mild, nice, but not necessarily definable. What is unmistakable is the sweet sugary taste on the tongue and palate. Because it was so moist I anticipated some gurgling, but there was none. It took just a little work to keep it lit but that was almost surely because of the excess moisture. An easy thing to correct. Just let it dry out for a bit. It is about as bitless as a blend can be and still be burning. However, the very end of the smoke looses its sweetness and becomes ashy tasting. Thats not a problem unless you are breaking in a new pipe and want to smoke it to the bitter end the first few smokes. From the moment you light this blend you are struck by the absence of an overload of chemicals and are immediately rewarded with the blends sweetness. This is really a great blend for a new smoker. While I have not tried them yet, I have a feeling that, like this blend, all the Wilke blends are made from quality tobaccos. It is light on the nicotine side. I only wish the blend was a bit more tasty, as opposed to just sweet. Nevertheless, I would have to say this is one of the better aromatics out there. I prefer Lane's RLP6 which is also half the price.

Plex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plex (39)

An aromatic that I can actually enjoy. Though I found that those around me seemed to enjoy it even more with compliments like, "Smells good enough to eat" and "Damn, that tobacco is making me hungry."

I always dried it for about an hour and then loaded up. Not much attention required and burned away to nothing but the lingering room aroma of desert or pastries freshly baked. Just be prepared for the frequent interruptions from those wanting to know what it is. Perhaps smokers of Rumcake should be provided with some P&W flyers to handout, for less bother!

cigarman43035 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarman43035 (15)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend is another hit from Carole! This tobacco is nice and sweet and actually gives the taste of rum! This one maybe the favorite blend of all the ones that I tried from pipeworks! Try this blend if you like no bite aromatics!

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have never smoked a rum flavored blend I've liked...until now. I agree with the other 4-star reviews here. This is a nice smoke. It is well balanced, does not burn hot, nor bite, and has great flavor and taste to the bottom of the bowl. The Burley adds a nutty flavor, the Virginia adds sweetness and you can taste the rum throughout. This blend is a natural for the meerschaum, too.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Where have you been all my life? My pipe smoking life, that is!

As one who started this art on goopy cavendishes, the transition in my aromatic habit to the fine blends of P&W has been sheer delight! The flavors are sweet and full. There is no tongue bite and the packing and lighting are easy. The tobacco is of the highest quality and the rum flavor is first-rate.

This is my default aromatic smoke and I can't get enough of it. Plus, everyone loves the room note. Best of both worlds...

What's not to love, for those who love the highest quality aromatics?

Accompaniment: Britten's 3 Sea Interludes.

LSU Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSU Tiger (13)

I suspected that this was another rum flavored blend. You know the type: sweet, very wet, tasting like a piece of hard candy. No. Not even close. I picked this as part of a sampler, figuring that that if I don't like it, I'm not out much. But, it quickly rose to the coin flipping stature of tied for favorite. The taste of rum is subtle throughout the bowl, it seems to dance behind the scene letting the Virginia and burley take the limelight. I could, however not forget it's presence. The taste, for me wasn't anything that I can describe as ice cream or toast. It was earthier, sweet, but not in an overpowering way. My shop odor, which is usually a mixture of wood and steel, was replaced by a blanket of rum and a Virginia/burley nutty sweetness.

It packs easily, lights well(and stays lit!), but will bite if puffed hard. I may well order a half pound.

I'm an heavy-latakia blends smoker, but I happen to like rum-topped tobaccos as a change of pace; I think that rum is the only flavouring agent that mixes well with the taste of tobacco.

Sait that, I must admit this is one of the best rum blends I've tries so far: not that I expected something different, being a long time aficionado of P&W.

The blend is really smooth, never harsh or biting and it packs and lights very easily. It burns well too and the flavour keeps consistent to the end of the bowl. I suppose the employment of Virginia and burley leaf for the base, due to the coolness and the great burning characteristics. Another good point is that it's not a wet tobacco at all.

Think about it: cool smoking, not wet, not biting and consistent flavour to the end of the bowl. And it's an aromatic!!! Definitely 4 stars out of 4.

BigBen53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBen53 (21)

Rumcake smells Good in the Pouch delightfully,the flavoring stay all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. aroma great in the room This Jamaican rum smells wonderful and taste like.and the Rumcake flavoring flavor stay with thougt out the bowl.one of the best aromatics Pipe tobacco in my book. i smoke two to three bowl a day with a Hot cup of coffee it great.one in best aromatics A.) I like it's complexity. B.) I like that it's not biting. C.) It is easy to smoke, and enjoy a all day smoke. D.) The Rumcake lasts the aroma in the room is delightfully,

I well gave it 4 star

Tom Bruce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bruce (19)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Maybe my imagination is working overtime, but I get the taste of rum raisin ice cream with this blend. (It's my favorite ice cream, although those yokels at B&J have stopped making it.) At the beginning of the smoke it is more rum than raisin, but as the bowl burns down, the slight sweetness of raisin takes over. I assume it is the rum burning off that allows the sweetness to emerge to the forefront. The flavor is not overwhelming by any means, it's just there in the background. I also don't find much tobacco flavor, so the total taste sensation is lacking. And to me, it does have a nicotine kick near the end. It has all the smoking characteristics I demand in a tobacco (stays lit, burns cool, white ash, no dottle). I won't be adding this blend to my rotation, but I think I will order some for the winter months. It just seems to me to fit the cold weather, maybe because I enjoy rum during the snow season. Rest assured when I do order it, I will order it shipped in plastic jars, for as others have mentioned, if left in the plastic baggie the rum dissipates as time goes by.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very thin tasting almost bland blend. It's aroma however is wonderful.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

7/13/2014 - I still smoke my Rumcake daily. The trick I have learned with this over the past 10 years is to mix Rumcake half and half with another blend to spicen that blend up. I just received another 8oz of my Rumcake / Nut Brown Burley blend and its still fantastic!!! BTW you can ask Carole to add more Rum, Maple , Vanilla whatever topping you want added to any blend. Rumcake not rummy enough? Ask Carole to add more topping. I always ask for more to be added as I really like Rumcake extra aromaticy. (I know I made up that word). Now is the time to try Pipeworks & Wilke as she's been doing this for a very long time and I would think would want to retire eventually...

UPDATE: 7/13/04 I like my Nut Bwrown Burley mixed 50/50 with Rumcake so i asked Carol to fill a 8 oz jar with half NBB and half the Rumcake and top the blend with the rum topping. She through in a couple of leaves of perique for more flavor and nicotine and viola. What a treat!

1/06/2004 I purchased some of this when i ordered more Nut Brown Burley to cellar. I love rum, whether its rum cake, rum raisin ice cream or a cold rum and coke so this blend was a no brainer for me. Pipeworks and wilke blend every batch per order, so this was so fresh that i could tell they used top shelf rum. I stuck my nose in several Bacardi bottles in my bar and it most resembles Bacardi Gold. Definatley not a blend full of rum flavored chamicals.

Mostly darker leaf, with lighter shades of brown and yellow. You really have to try this if you love the taste of the islands. Reminds me of my trips to Cancun and Puerto Rico. Its funny how you must keep this in a sealed jar. I left my first sample in the bag, and after a week the rum was gone. This is real spirits folks, it WILL evaporate (like it should)

I mix this half and half with Nut Brown Burley. A nutty navy mix. Great all day blend...

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

Wow, this stuff is different. I like it alot and has several nice things about it. Real rum makes a huge difference and adds a lovely flavor to the tobacco and to the aroma. I have to say the closest thing I have had to this is Blatter Reserve which is slightly choclatey instead of rummy. Both are yummy and similar. You have to keep this one in a sealed container to maintain the rum topping. It has a slightly spicy side to it as well. I guess I will have to get used to smoking my cake instead of ea.... 4 stars. I'm still eat.... woops! smoking this cake!

pipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipper (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

As a rule, I usually do not care for Rum based tobaccos, but this is the exception. This has a wonderful flavor, and the tobacco burns clean and dry to a white ash, with no moisture or gurgle in my Peterson bent. This blend offers a very nice change of pace, and I find my taste memory recalling this often. It is a most flavorful smoke, another winner for Pipeworks & Wilke. They blend great tobaccos. This blend is well worth your examination.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This one smells GREAT in the pouch and smokes just as well; room note very pleasant and one that your spouse/girlfriend could not object to; burns evenly right down to the bottom of the bowl with absolutely no bite whatsoever. For aromatic lovers, this is well worth a try.

And as for the rum flavor, this is the preferred blend of pirates and other corsairs, you know. Really.

tubehead71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tubehead71 (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The best rum blend I've had. It is not overwhelming. The blend slowly unfolds as you smoke it. Not sweet or overly rummy(?) I enjoy smoking after a meal. Well worth trying!

PlaneGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PlaneGuy (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another fine aromatic. Very rich in flavor, but light on the tongue. Great room aroma as well. So far it is one of the best Rum tobaccos I've tried.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is Great ! The pouch aroma is just a bonanza of Christmas fragrances like Rumcake baking with real Rum, Vanilla and spices permiating the room. The smoke is mild and pleasant yet voluminous and rich. Puff at will and don't worry about any bite, because there is none ! The rich flavors remain mild and sweet through out the bowl. You do want to leave it out to dry a little, common theme for aromatics.

Air it out, load it up, sit back, fire up, and Enjoy !

You can't help it.

Kleophrades Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleophrades (39)

Rumcake is exactly as advertised: mild and pleasantly sweet. It's not really my cup of tea but there's no doubt about the quality. P&W makes the best aromatics around, period. As usual, it won't bite no matter how hard you puff. Good for a beginner, for those who just want something to puff on, or if you need a good room-note.

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I did not find much rum here. I also found nothing special.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This is a very pleasant blend which I found pretty bland. It's well behaved and smells terrific in the pouch and when burning. The only flavor I get is an occasional bit of sweetness. I get a little bite from it, unlike most Wilke blends. I tried mixing it 50-50 with NBB as another reviewer suggested, but still didn't get much out of it. If you like extremely mild tobaccos, this will suit you, otherwise I suggest Wilke's 196 or Bohemian Mixture.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Jamaican rum is richly sweet with a little spice and is the star flavor. You will taste a light honey note from the gold cavendish from time to time, and some vanilla from either a topping or black cavendish or both (I suspect both is the correct answer). I occasionally get a hint of burley, but it's strictly condimental, as is the Virginia, which is slightly grassy when you notice it. May need a slight dry time because it is moist, but drying it will lose you some of the rum, so you'll have to decide how you want to play it. Burns well and slow, but needs to be sipped to avoid some dottle, and the tongue tingle that can arise for the faster puffer.

vinci666 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinci666 (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I really love this one!! The room note relaxes me and everyone else in the room. its smooth does not burn hot and i suggest you give it a go

Pipe Used: devil anise,meer, cob,billiard,churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 43

Purchased From: pipeworks and wilke

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

I have been craving a aromatic and needed a change from my usual flakes & plug tobaccos. Also needed a non smoker friendly room note since I was getting comments like what crawled in your pipe and died ;)

This fits the bill and gets a strong 3 stars since I reserve 4 stars for legendary blends.

rlaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rlaw (13)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

After reading some of the reviews on here I had to have some of this. Not sure if I got the tail end of a batch or what but this was bland to me. I didn't taste any rum, in fact I didn't taste much of anything. No smell at all when opening the pouch either. I will stick with the Vermont Maple Cavendish.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is really a very good mixture BUT it is not quite as wonderful as I've heard it described.An extremely pleasant aroma with a good sweet taste yet, I found it to be rather run of the mill.If you really like rum i would give it a try,but if you just like good aromatics go for the Bohemian mix and treat yourself to something really different.