Originally prepared as our 1993 Christmas blend, Rumcake proved so popular we made it available year round. This Jamaican rum laced blend is based on a mixture we originally made for actor Basil Rathbone. Due to the keen characteristics of the rum flavoring we prefer to offer this mixture in 8 or 16 ounce jars. This is the finest rum mixture offered anywhere!

BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.7
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Jamaican rum is richly sweet, lightly creamy with a little spice and is the star flavor. You will taste a light honey note from the gold cavendish from time to time, and some vanilla from either a topping or the lightly sugary black cavendish or both (I suspect both is the correct answer). I occasionally get a hint of nutty, molasses sweet burley, but it's strictly condimental, as is the Virginia, which is slightly grassy when you notice it. Has very little nicotine. May need a slight dry time because it is moist, but drying it will lose you some of the rum, so you'll have to decide how you want to play it. Burns a tad slow, but needs to be sipped to lower the moisture content in the bowl, and the tongue tingle that can arise for the super steam engine puffer. Shouldn't bite anyone. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Requires some relights. Has a very nice after taste and room note. An easily repeatable, comfortable all day smoke.

Edit: 2-18-2018: I've smoked John Brandt's production of this blend and can't tell a difference from the older version.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have never smoked a rum flavored blend I've liked...until now. I agree with the other 4-star reviews here. This is a nice smoke. It is well balanced, does not burn hot, nor bite, and has great flavor and taste to the bottom of the bowl. The Burley adds a nutty flavor, the Virginia adds sweetness and you can taste the rum throughout. This blend is a natural for the meerschaum, too.

I'm surprised that, after looking over previous reviews, there was not much said about the Vanilla extract added to the Rum in this outstanding blend. I could sure taste it (as well as the rum), and the lighter Virginia in the compilation of leaf added a somewhat bittersweet tang to the presentation. Not a heavy aromatic, but one that when sipped slowly, will be richly rewarding to the palate of those who gravitate toward quality aromatics with Vanilla and/or rum flavoring.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Another top-shelf aromatic from Pipeworks and Wilke, Rumcake delivers exactly what it advertises: delicious Christmas aromas and flavors. I would classify this blend less as rum flavored and more as literally rum cake. There's a sweetness there that's intentionally missing from more directly rum flavored blends such as Blockade Runner or Navigator. I assume this is the influence of the Royal Scot blended in? As the bowl progresses through the half-way point, the intensity of the rum flavoring increases, but that sweetness is always there in the background. The flavor reminds me of a popular rum I had in Puerto Rico, the name of which escapes me, that popularized itself by having a mild vanilla background note.

Presentation is typical P&W fine ribbon. Jar note is a bit muted- subtle rather than aggressive. I get vanilla on the charring light that quickly gives way to the signature rum cake flavor. And best of all, frequent relights are not required. Although moist, Rumcake burns evenly and smokes cool - a common theme with P&W aromatics. No goop, little dottle. Certainly recommended as an excellent aromatic. A fantastic Christmas blend. Highly recommended for fans of rum flavored anything.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

7/13/2014 - I still smoke my Rumcake daily. The trick I have learned with this over the past 10 years is to mix Rumcake half and half with another blend to spicen that blend up. I just received another 8oz of my Rumcake / Nut Brown Burley blend and its still fantastic!!! BTW you can ask Carole to add more Rum, Maple , Vanilla whatever topping you want added to any blend. Rumcake not rummy enough? Ask Carole to add more topping. I always ask for more to be added as I really like Rumcake extra aromaticy. (I know I made up that word). Now is the time to try Pipeworks & Wilke as she's been doing this for a very long time and I would think would want to retire eventually...

UPDATE: 7/13/04 I like my Nut Bwrown Burley mixed 50/50 with Rumcake so i asked Carol to fill a 8 oz jar with half NBB and half the Rumcake and top the blend with the rum topping. She through in a couple of leaves of perique for more flavor and nicotine and viola. What a treat!

1/06/2004 I purchased some of this when i ordered more Nut Brown Burley to cellar. I love rum, whether its rum cake, rum raisin ice cream or a cold rum and coke so this blend was a no brainer for me. Pipeworks and wilke blend every batch per order, so this was so fresh that i could tell they used top shelf rum. I stuck my nose in several Bacardi bottles in my bar and it most resembles Bacardi Gold. Definatley not a blend full of rum flavored chamicals.

Mostly darker leaf, with lighter shades of brown and yellow. You really have to try this if you love the taste of the islands. Reminds me of my trips to Cancun and Puerto Rico. Its funny how you must keep this in a sealed jar. I left my first sample in the bag, and after a week the rum was gone. This is real spirits folks, it WILL evaporate (like it should)

I mix this half and half with Nut Brown Burley. A nutty navy mix. Great all day blend...

aztobaccosavant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aztobaccosavant (11)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have read some reviews about old owner vs new owner blending. While I can’t comment on the old blend, I can say that the current iteration is as good as any aromatic/rum tobacco can be. Aroma lit and unlit are equally appealing. The tobacco behaves incredibly well. Minimal if any relights. I believe this is the best aromatic available and am proud to buy it from such a small blender as opposed to a huge mill. Tobacco is a natural product. Every crop the leaf tastes different. This rum cake was expertly blended and flavored. As highly recommend as possible

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Tsuge, Parker

Purchased From: Wilke directly

Sons of Reagan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sons of Reagan (9)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely superb!!! A great smoke that burns cool without any tongue bite and stays lit with minimal relights. The room note is fantastic with a lot of compliments. In all, one of my favorite aromatics that has just the right amount of flavoring. Well done, Carol!!!

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent blend from Pipeworks & Wilke, where Carole demonstrates mastery, touch and above all great taste at blending time. Very light fruity flavor and dominant rum aroma, there is not a bite at any stage of the bowl and your palate will be remembering those christmas mornings of our childhood. Great tobacco for any occasion, specially after a tasty meal. Enjoy It.

Classical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Classical (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Where have you been all my life? My pipe smoking life, that is!

As one who started this art on goopy cavendishes, the transition in my aromatic habit to the fine blends of P&W has been sheer delight! The flavors are sweet and full. There is no tongue bite and the packing and lighting are easy. The tobacco is of the highest quality and the rum flavor is first-rate.

This is my default aromatic smoke and I can't get enough of it. Plus, everyone loves the room note. Best of both worlds...

What's not to love, for those who love the highest quality aromatics?

Accompaniment: Britten's 3 Sea Interludes.

LSU Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSU Tiger (13)

I suspected that this was another rum flavored blend. You know the type: sweet, very wet, tasting like a piece of hard candy. No. Not even close. I picked this as part of a sampler, figuring that that if I don't like it, I'm not out much. But, it quickly rose to the coin flipping stature of tied for favorite. The taste of rum is subtle throughout the bowl, it seems to dance behind the scene letting the Virginia and burley take the limelight. I could, however not forget it's presence. The taste, for me wasn't anything that I can describe as ice cream or toast. It was earthier, sweet, but not in an overpowering way. My shop odor, which is usually a mixture of wood and steel, was replaced by a blanket of rum and a Virginia/burley nutty sweetness.

It packs easily, lights well(and stays lit!), but will bite if puffed hard. I may well order a half pound.

I'm an heavy-latakia blends smoker, but I happen to like rum-topped tobaccos as a change of pace; I think that rum is the only flavouring agent that mixes well with the taste of tobacco.

Sait that, I must admit this is one of the best rum blends I've tries so far: not that I expected something different, being a long time aficionado of P&W.

The blend is really smooth, never harsh or biting and it packs and lights very easily. It burns well too and the flavour keeps consistent to the end of the bowl. I suppose the employment of Virginia and burley leaf for the base, due to the coolness and the great burning characteristics. Another good point is that it's not a wet tobacco at all.

Think about it: cool smoking, not wet, not biting and consistent flavour to the end of the bowl. And it's an aromatic!!! Definitely 4 stars out of 4.

LSUTigersFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LSUTigersFan (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am relatively new to smoking. I smoke once a day and maybe twice on the weekends, and I have for about two months. Some tobaccos I have liked, and some do not appeal to me. I do not have the descriptive skills like some of you here, so what I take away from the tobacco is usually "I don't like", "I like", "I love" and P&W Rumcake. I am still learning the different flavors of the tobaccos, I can say that this tobacco is amazing. You can taste the rum, but it is more like an aged sweet rum like a Demerara rum like El Dorado. It is an extremely smooth tobacco, that I could find myself smoking all day, every day.

I need to stock up on a few pounds before Mrs. Burns finally calls it quits.

Pipe Used: Savinelli: Severe Rusticated (614)

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: Pipeworks & Wilke

LightMyBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LightMyBriar (13)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the highest quality aromatic I've ever smoked, and if I was o it allowed to choose one aromatic for the rest of my life, this would be it. Smokes perfectly, isn't goopy, maintains the same great flavor for the whole smoke, and the flavor is excellent. Customer service is great, too.

Pipe Used: All sorts

Purchased From: Pipeworks and Wilke

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This one smells GREAT in the pouch and smokes just as well; room note very pleasant and one that your spouse/girlfriend could not object to; burns evenly right down to the bottom of the bowl with absolutely no bite whatsoever. For aromatic lovers, this is well worth a try.

And as for the rum flavor, this is the preferred blend of pirates and other corsairs, you know. Really.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is Great ! The pouch aroma is just a bonanza of Christmas fragrances like Rumcake baking with real Rum, Vanilla and spices permiating the room. The smoke is mild and pleasant yet voluminous and rich. Puff at will and don't worry about any bite, because there is none ! The rich flavors remain mild and sweet through out the bowl. You do want to leave it out to dry a little, common theme for aromatics.

Air it out, load it up, sit back, fire up, and Enjoy !

You can't help it.

DocGuinness Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DocGuinness (10)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Extra Full Pleasant

I have been smoking this blend for over 5 years. I ordered Rumcake a couple of weeks ago, the first batch from the new blender that bought the recipes from Carol.

When I opened the bag to smell the tobacco, I was overwhelmed with the topping on this batch. It was incredibly strong, stronger than I've ever experienced with this blend from Carol.

The tobacco quality itself was top-notch, great quality tobacco. Nothing has changed there. I was just overwhelmed by the smell of the blend and the taste of the smoke. In fact I couldn't smoke the entire bowl. The taste is hard to describe.

Edited ( May 21, 2018 ) - The initial, overpowering smell has seemed to taper a bit after sitting for a couple of months.

Cheers.

Purchased From: www.wilkepipetobacco.com

Champagne InHand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Champagne InHand (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

So I have been testing pipes, many non aromatic blends, but finally I decided that some of the aromatics I tired are just perfect, and this is one of them. It is not overtly complex as far as tobacco goes, but the descriptor of rum cake is dead on, as all you can think of is a pound cake that has been drizzled with a thick rum sauce. Or if you have had a good bread pudding made with eggs to be like custard, then topped with a cream sauce that is egg white and loads of rum, cooked but not enough to evaporate the majority of the alcohol, then you will understand, what it is to smoke this.

It needs to be sipped, as you want it moist to get that full Jamaican Rum but there is almost an afterthought that this is based with mild tobaccos blended perfectly and topped without being goopy or tasting any bit artificial. seriously you will want to eat it, but instead just sip and enjoy for an hour or more.

What I like to do with serious aromatics that are moist is to move the pipe stem farther back in the mouth so the smoke coming in doesn't hit the end of the tongue but easily goes towards the back of the mouth, and you can easily retrohale this without getting the sinuses going crazy.

Yes this is not like smoking non-aromatic tobacco where we can wax poetic about the individual tobaccos making it up and their aromas and how full the blend is, but something that just takes you to what the description is.

Others I really like are Edward G. Robinson, and I like the Bourbon Street, but with those you can easily identify the tobaccos and their properties and enjoy the topping, but both can sear in the pipe, easily get to hot and leave a bit of crunchy ash, where this blend leaves almost nothing, and it doesn't gunk up mu sten or the reserve area, as I like to use Peterson's with the system or their spigots and the P-LIP system, which helps avoid any tongue bite if you work the tobacco properly. Wilke rumcake was easy sit comes right on the first pipe load as I was sent a few ounces by a pipe buddy.

I like many pipes, but for aromatics I really like the Peterson double stage spigots or Army because they are just easy to drain if needed, though none was necessary with this blend.

With other aromatics I have all sorts of black nasty stuff on my pipe cleaners, and yet this one was remarkably clean, and considering combustion. i was pretty amazed.

So this one gets 4 stars and I will try as hard as possible to buy this in a pound as I could easily sip on this much of the evening. What a treat.

Pipe Used: Peterson's Spigots, Army, Bent Briar P-Lip system

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: traded a fellow piper

Similar Blends: other um flavored aromatics, but none that really come close in overall finish.

Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke (13)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

The first Aromatic I've ever enjoyed, others I've tried I never got passed quarter bowl. I normally smoke full English blends Father Dempsey, HH Vintage Syrian, Squadron Leader, Night Cap etc.

Every once in a while I crave a sweeter tobacco to mix it up and decided to venture out again, other aromatics I've tried smelled great but the smoke was never Full in flavor always thin and usually never smoked like it smelled this is everything I was looking for, I normally smoke Fast and it hasn't soured I've received no tongue bite it's held on to the Rum cake flavor and coolness perfectly while puffing fast and big, the fullness is what I'm really enjoying .

Can this really be an aromatic? It's more like a Med/full English blend that's been soaked in good Rum(I've never eaten Rum cake but this tobacco does remind me of a Dark Rum I tried once) The NIC hit is nice and not over the top at all puffing fast as I normally do.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi

Purchased From: Vtpipes.com

runswithdogs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
runswithdogs (17)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

As a novice pipe smoker, I lack the ability to distinguish all the nuances more experienced smokers can detect. But I know what I like! If you are looking for a delightful aromatic, you simply must try this blend. The rum is subtle, and the blend leans towards the sweet side. The room note is very pleasant. I learned a lot about "sipping" my pipes (s-l-o-w smoking) with this blend. Properly smoked, this blend will shine for the lover of aromatics. Huff and puff it, and it won't be as enjoyable.

Pipe Used: Dunhills, Castellos

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (32)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

OUTSTANDING!! Best rum/Rumcake/rum flavored blend out there. Seems better when set out to dry a bit, but it is top top quality leaf with a beautiful taste, flavor, and aroma. Christmas is Rumcake at my house, but now, Christmas is year round! Great job, Pipeworks!!!

Pipe Used: Briars, cobs, meerschaums, clays

Age When Smoked: Freshly delivered

Purchased From: Pipeworks

Similar Blends: Nothing comes remotely close for me.

BC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BC (12)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I like the Rumcake better than 191. It is sweet, but not cloying. There's some kind of spice I really like that provides a nice bass note: ginger? nutmeg? That, combined with the rum, makes this really tasty. There is a creamy base that I attribute to the Cavendish and maybe the butter flavoring. The subtle Virginia taste comes through, particularly as you work your way down through the bowl, and the flavor mix changes slightly. But you always taste the rum and the vanilla. It is wet, and I don't know how to dry it without losing the rum. It burns fine anyway, only one or two relights. It burns down to a nice ash. I do not think this is an everyday smoke for me; I am more of a VAPER and VA guy, but a terrific change of pace, really outstanding.

Pipe Used: no name

Purchased From: Pipeworks and Wilke

vinci666 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinci666 (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I really love this one!! The room note relaxes me and everyone else in the room. its smooth does not burn hot and i suggest you give it a go

Pipe Used: devil anise,meer, cob,billiard,churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 43

Purchased From: pipeworks and wilke

Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I did not find much rum here. I also found nothing special.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

This is a very pleasant blend which I found pretty bland. It's well behaved and smells terrific in the pouch and when burning. The only flavor I get is an occasional bit of sweetness. I get a little bite from it, unlike most Wilke blends. I tried mixing it 50-50 with NBB as another reviewer suggested, but still didn't get much out of it. If you like extremely mild tobaccos, this will suit you, otherwise I suggest Wilke's 196 or Bohemian Mixture.