A hearty Burley, cut wide for cool smoking and maple flavored for a rich, smooth, traditional-style Burley smoke.

Blended ByMcClelland

Burn = 9

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Smooth, nice nutty Burley Flavor, just a hint of a Bite, white ass Burn

Originally reviewed under Just For Him as Privateer:

After reading the previous reviews, I ordered some Privateer. This is McClelland's X-60 sold in bulk. Unlike the description of "maple" noted above, it should be corrected to molasses, for that's what it is. As much as I enjoy my Virginias, I am a huge Burley fan and always have Aged Burley Flake, Wessex Burley Slice, and Edgeworth Sliced (when I can snag a tin) on hand. I also happen to love molasses flavoring. One of my favorite candies are the NECCO Mary Jane candies and very molasses laden. I have even, at times, "painted" some of my flakes with a thin coating of molasses to add that essence to the smoking experience. That being said, you can see why I had to try Privateer.

I ordered 4 ounces and upon opening the bag I was greeted with a beautiful smell of sweet molasses. It smelled just like the Mary Jane candies I am so fond of. The tobacco was springy but not moist and I will say now that this smoked totally dry from beginning to end. It was a medium brown, coarse cut flake that loaded quite easily. The pre-light draw tasted just like molasses. The smoking experience for me did not live up to the bag note and pre-light draw, and it bit my tongue even with very, very slow sipping. The taste was mostly herbal and not molasses at all. Plus, the PG present was very off-putting. Not on my list for even the occasional smoke.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

X-60 is a high quality burley that has a maple flavoring that gives it a distinct and delicious flavor. It's a broad cut that starts out with a fairly good amount of sweetness that fades as the bowl is smoked until it is gone at just past 1/2 bowl, leaving a tasty burley nutty flavor. I find that I enjoy this tobacco especially well in the morning.

As far as burn and lighting, X-60 is better than average for an aromatic and about equal to an average non-aromatic. Like most moist tobaccos, it responds best to a slightly lighter than normal pack.

X-60 is a fairly economic tobacco. It is also sold by many tobacco shops under another name. Just For Him tobacco shop in Springfield, MO calls it Privateer. In their favor, it should be said that they sell it for $19.95/lb., better than any on-line vendor I've been able to find that sells it under the McC X-60 label.

Scores for X-60; taste- 16 out of 20; lighting and burn- 7 of 10; value- 8 of 10. That makes a total of 31 points and a high * for X-60.

wordmerchant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wordmerchant (16)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A Burley sleeper.

This is a lovely smoke and one that I would certainly consider as an all day blend.

By mid-bowl, as the sugars carmalize, this tobac really comes into its own, offering sweet, soft wood tones.

I love this blend! It smokes well in every pipe I put it in. I have not once had a bowl of this turn on me.

FYI: This blend is marketed as Privateer at Justforhim.com. The price is insanely affordable.

Highest recommendation.

If you want a good smoke in this category, try H.O.W.'s Mapleton, which also contains some Perique. This is just too bland for my tastes. Better than most drugstore offerings but that is about it.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This may not be the best burley around (P&W Nut brown burley is probably the best) but it comes close. The maple casing sweetens the otherwise sharp edges of the tobacco, but not so much to completely cover the burley taste. If smoked slowly it never becomes bitter or wet and always smokes cool. A nice tobacco to be smoked in summer.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This burley is best left for blending. I love a great burley but, if it is to be smoked alone, I believe that it should be dark-fired and strong as an ox. (My favorite is dark Kentucky for Gawith&Hoggart.) This burley is rather mild and has a wonderful essence that is fantastic when blended with 35-40% Syrian Latakia or 20-25% perique. The complexity of Syrian Latakia works well with the maple scent to yeild an almost floral texture from the latakia. When blended with perique, an aged sweetness is achieved that gives off whisps of spiced raisins and mild sangria. I love this blend as well as blend #x-40 when mixed with Syrian Latakia or perique. When used as a base this burley can give smokers an "old-style" aromatic result, that is far from the heavily cased, perfumed garbage that many pass off as aromatic.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like maple blends, which is what attracted me to this particular recipe. What I found was a burly that vaguely smelled or tasted like maple. It's a one dementional, mild smoke without much flavor. I doubt I'll buy more.

If it's maple you want, try C&D Autumn Evening instead.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

If you like burley and every now and then want something on the aromatic side this is a great tobacco. It is straight burley with a lite maple topping, moist, nice pouch aroma. There is alot to like here. This may become one of my top in the house smokes this summer to keep the little lady happy!