This is the second in the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series! Matured and red Virginias are blended with sweet Burleys to enhance aroma. Perique is added to produce a wonderfully smooth, earthy-sweet all day smoke that is perfect with a pint of ale.

BrandJust For Him
Taste

2.3
blindmansleeps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blindmansleeps (4)

Having had (and loved) both Shortcut to Mushrooms and Ruins of Isengard, I had high expectations for Old Toby. I initially smoked this blend in a MM Corncob. While the tobacco tasted pretty good, it was nowhere close to the fullness and body of STM and ROI. In all honesty, I think I tasted the Perique once in the first half of the bowl. Once I got to the bottom, the stoved tobacco tasted more like Perique; in fact, the tobacco tasted quite, quite good at the bottom of the bowl.

So, I gave this tobacco another shot, and changed pipes. I chose one of my wood stem churchwarden from FloggleWerks, and it made the tobacco come alive a bit. It could have been the longer stem, or an added wooden accent from the bowl, but the tobacco opened up. The whole bowl was sweet and peppery. Still not as wonderful as STM or ROI, but darned good.

I've smoked four more bowls of Old Toby in my churchwarden since then to great enjoyment. Out of curiosity, I smoked this blend in another one of my Bent Briar pipes (a Ropp), and the taste just wasn't the same. Something about this blend really comes alive in my Churchwarden.

Purchased From: Just for Him Online

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I recently received the Middle Earth series of pipe tobacco from Just for Him (a gift from a fellow reviewer who wanted me to try them). I started with Old Toby and if this tobacco is any indication of the others, I'm not going to be quick to load up.

I really tried to like this tobacco but it is to mild, to tasteless and to boring to enjoy.

On the positive side, it did burn well.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (34)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

This is nice... It has an alcoholic smell to it, a little bit like sherry. The perique comes through perfectly and I found it a pleasant smoke. The only downside is that it bit a little, I'll perhaps dry it out a bit and try again later.

Pipe Used: Mr brog

PhantomWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhantomWolf (38)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a huge VA-Per guy, but they have been growing on me as I continue developing my palate. This one however, left me wanting. This is Old Toby for Gods' sake! A blend inspired by he the most venerable of Hobbits and supposedly one of the most popular blends in The Shire.

The Bowl: It burnt well and dry with little bite, but that's all the praise I can really give it. The toppings came across as muddled to me and amounted to little beyond mildly sweet vanilla. I also had an off note to mine that I have seen others mention in their reviews. An almost moldering tinge.

I will be reordering 'Shortcut To Mushrooms' from JustForHim.com (because it's great) and I may grab another Oz of this while at it, just to see if I got a bad batch. I really do want it to be great. If not, there are other 'Old Toby' blends waiting to be smoked.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Bulk

Purchased From: JustForHim.com

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

There seems to be lots of excitement about this series, and I was not immune to its charms myself. I bought this very early into my pipe smoking career, and used this blend to first explore the vaunted world of Perique. Unfortunately, it nearly put me off that Prince of leaf.

This blend was dank, muddy, and dark. Bitter and earthy, like a decayed log. Cased, low quality leaf. I've had worse, and there's nothing wrong with this blend as a concept, but the execution is lacking. Look elsewhere.

Liam Tyr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liam Tyr (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Ahhh Old Toby..... It is a simple and relaxing blend. I think if you go into looking for something as complex as "shortcut to mushrooms" you will be disappointed. It is slightly sweet and has a subtle peppery kick to it that makes this a wonderful everyday smoke. I tried it in several different pipes, but found that my larger diameter bowls seem to help this blend come out of its shell. I usually smoke smaller bowl'd pipes like a bing's fav or one of my canadians, but for this blend I tend to go for larger bowls like this of my Comoy's pipes. It really allows the flavors to shine bright and the virginia's can really stove nicely towards the bottom of the bowl. After about half way you get a really pleasant sweet tang that leaves you satisfied. These guys at JFH will let you buy tiny little samplers.... GO GET ONE!!! You owe it to yourself to try out Old Toby and the other middle earth blends, they are all pretty good.

Pipe Used: Comoy's Blue Riband Billiard

Purchased From: Just for Him online store

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the fourth in the MEB series I tried. Being a fan of Perique I was already looking forward to this blend. It definately tastes of Burley with the hint of Perique building towards the end, first a little peppery then near the last quarter or so it really is just right. The Virginia is overshadowed quite a bit by the Burley and Perique. It is very smooth, no tongue bite. It stayed lit after the first light/tamp/relight as the other Middle Earth blands did. Definately a good to high end choice of ingredients. Plenty of rich sweet smoke the whole time. Could be a go to blend if you like Burley with a hint of Perique.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie drinkless Billiard style

Age When Smoked: Fresh opened from sample pack

Purchased From: Just For Him

Similar Blends: Stands on it's own really like the other Middle Earth Blends from JFH.

Landsurfer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Landsurfer (3)

As a fledgling pipe smoker, this was my first taste of Perique, and I have to say it was a very enjoyable experience. This tobacco did not bite, even during deep draws on relights. It burned cool, and got more flavorful as the bowl burned down. Earthy savouriness with a hint of sweet spiciness is how I'd describe it. I paired it with a bowl of strawberries, man was that good!

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Going throughout the Middle Earth Sampler I left this for last because of all the low reviews. Except for STM I did not find anything in the series that really struck me. Surprise! I loved Old Toby. It was mellow with a good amount of smoke. It lit and burned easier than the rest of series and left the usual fine white ash. It was mild in taste but the perique did poke its nose in every so often. Altogether an enjoyable smoke.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Easy to pack and light. Stays lit no problem. Very bland. I taste some artificial sweetness, then some stale musty flavor, reminded me of my grandparent's house. Perique is very mild here, which i don't mind. My rating: Meh.

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I have tried a few of the Lord of the Ring series tobacs from Just for Him, and this was just okay. i was hoping for some perique but did not experience any, nice nic hit. This does display the characteristic JfH smoothness and creamy thick smoke they are good at making. It was fairly bland to my palette, but never terrible. This was easy smoking and often i would catch a hint of something but not enough, the Ruins of Isengard is such an outstanding blend this misses the mark in comparison, but OldToby is still better than many drug store bores. I really wanted to like it and saved my review after i finished the packet from the sample, alas- it wasn't my favorite.

Uncle Burl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Burl (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This bacca has not gotten the recomendation it clearly deserves. It's amazingly good!!! My first bowl I felt unimpressed, but in fairness I smoked several bowls of different tobaccos from the Middle Earth sampler before it. While a common mistake, it is like overload at the perfume counter where after several nothing smells right. On my second try I actually "got" this pipewed!!!! I packed it a bit better than usual and it developed in unique smells and flavors increasingly through the bowl. When the perique kicked in I enjoyed the buttery/ black peppery flavors. I actually plan on adding this to my rotation. As the bowl burned down it just got better and better!!! Burly, Virginian, Perique.... Yum!!! Thanks Just For Him for yet another LOTR tobacco winner!!!

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)

I enjoyed this smoke, for me it became a go to in college after a nice sauna! It is a mild va/burley/perique blend and I feel that all of those tobaccos work together in good harmony in this blend, just a dash of Va and perique nicely complement the soft smooth burly taste, could definitely see sitting in the shire with Bilbo Baggins puffing on a bit of this in a churchwarden! Good smoke!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

I must agree with the majority on this blend. Having tried several other blends in the Middle Earth Series and rated them highly, I am disappointed totally with this one. Just does nothing for me, the only saving grace is that there seems to be a decent amount of Vitamin N here. Thankfully I only purchased a 2 ounce sample. Unfortunately, this may very well get to Sir Dumpster's lair as is, unsmoked.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)

This tobacco is pretty good. I ordered this and Longbottom Leaf, but to me, this is the inferior of the two. I recommend it to other smokers and have no problems at all with this tobacco. I imagine it would go good with some ale, or maybe Lembas bread.

Nothing wrong with it, just doesn't grab me. Grabs my tongue when I puff too hard trying to get more flavor. On the other hand, VA/burley blends aren't my thing. (3-30-11 Let me qualify that: I like VABURS like Erinmore Flake and OGS, but this one may be too burley-ribbon heavy for me. Look below, however-opinions can change!) I will probably have this around for a while, so if it strikes me better in a year or so, I'll revise my opinion.

1-16-10 A Tolkien quote: Gandalf: "Come, sit down! And if you have any pipe-weed, we'll bless you." When (Barliman Butterbur) came back he brought them enough to last them for a day or two, a wad of uncut leaf. 'Southlinch,' he said, 'and the best we have; but not the match of Southfarthing, as I've always said, though I'm all for Bree in most matters, begging your pardon.' (LOTR Book Six Chapter Seven.)

This weed is not the match of Southfarthing, whatever that may be; but if I had just returned from a long quest and could get no better, this blend would be just the thing: especially if it were gifted. Not bad, not bad at all.

3-30-10 Still smoking from this very old 2 ounce sample. This bowl is really pretty good, and pairs nicely with the Islay (Bowmore 12 yr.) Scotch I am drinking. I have never jarred this, the only tobacco in my extensive collection I have not put in a jar. Even after a year and a half in a ziploc in my desk drawer, it is still a pleasant occasional smoke. Perhaps the crispiness makes it better, who knows? I will not buy a pound, but it still pleases in different ways every time I smoke it. I'll give it another star for retaining my interest, though I reiterate, this is not a rotation blend for me.

Dave_in_desert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave_in_desert (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first batch of this stuff was wonderful. I couldn't get enough of it. It smoked very well with no tongue bite or dottle. My second batch was labeled Old Toby, but the cut wasn't the same and neither was the taste. It was very bitter and bit back like a rabid dog. I think that they made a mistake or was trying to fool me with something else, because that was nothing like the first batch. I let it be for a couple of months and it became tolerable, but was still a bit rank. I'm going to try one more batch, but if it comes out like this one, then I'll have to bury Old Toby in the back yard next to Old Yeller. Unfortunately not the same stuff. I do not recommend asking for this tobacco.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

If the last few puffs in the bottom of the bowl were the taste of the rest of my test smoke then I would say this was a tolerable tobacco but for almost all of my smoke I was...well...bored. I detected a little of the bland black cavendish flavor in here and that might be the burley, but for the most part this was flavorless. I never got the perique at all and never got the natural sweetness of the virginias. It was just...smoke. It did burn well all the way down on one light and left just a white ash. While I really like the JFH folks, I just can't recommend this to anyone. I will mix it with something else most likely.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

'How Old Toby came by the plant is not recorded, for to his dying day he would not tell." (JRR Tolkien) I'm not sure which corner of the Shire Uncle Bob gathered this leaf, but I hope he follows Old Toby's example, and not tell anyone where he grubbed this from. If this was what was shipped to Saruman, I'm positive Old Toby, or his descendants,laughed all the way to the bank with pouches full of gold.

I hate giving JFH a less than "outstanding" or "excellent" review, considering the usually terrific quality of tobaccos they blend, but Old Toby doesn't make the same grade. I've done everything possible, short of kiln-drying, to tame this leaf. It stll gurgles regardeless of pipe, cleaners, Q-tips, or suction vac, takes its own sweet time to light, and refuses to stay lit. I've opened the jar and left it exposed to Texas heat; maybe that'll help.

My most recent bowl was in a wooden McQueen "Siren". I thought a change to a more traditional "Midle Earth" pipe might help. No such luck. Old Toby remains unistructural, uninteresting, and off the mark. Southron Star, or a good 1470, this is not. I think there's a casing, and it could be vanilla, or hazlenut, or miruvir, for all I can tell, but it never stays dry enough, nor lit long enough, to really determine what's going on here.

Thye caveat here is: I love Virginias, and I'm partial to Perique. I'm not a Burley fan, and the Burleys in this blend seem to tame it far too much. I can get the Virginias to come out, if I work at it, but the Perique is an elusive wraith.

I wondered what the gaffers smoked in LOTR. I think I've discovered it. It's enough to keep them busy, but not enough to stop them from chatting at the pub, then getting a good night's sleep. If they want to stay awake past bedtime, and still want an "English aromatic," Longbottom Leaf and Treebeard are more suited to their tastes

My apologies to JFH, as I've sucked down their other "Middle Earth series" offerings, and will be ordeing more Mushrooms and Ruins, but for now, Old Toby (may he rest in peace)... deserves one star, bumped to 1 1/2 for the kindness and promptness JFH provide.