This is the first in the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series! Fragrant Virginias are blended with a hint of vanilla to produce the finest leaf the Shire has to offer!

BrandJust For Him
Blended ByBob Schafer
FlavoringVanilla
Strength
Taste

2.6
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Longbottom Leaf is a light aromatic with an obvious essence of Vanilla. A high class blend with enough tobacco taste to keep me interested for awhile. It turned a bit sour on me as I neared the bottom of the bowl, but the first 2/3rds were doggone good.

If you are a fan of lightly sweet Vanilla tobaccos, this one might zoom to the top of your list of favorites.

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the fifth and final Middle Earth Blend I tried. It is listed as purely Virginia with a Vanilla casing. I definately think there is some other types of tobacco blended in there. Maybe a little Burley or even Latakia but maybe my tastebuds lie. It has a sweetness but to me really isn't pure Vanilla, almost a honey/nut flavouring to it. Like all other Middle Earth blends it lit well, stayed lit, little to no tongue bite. I highly recommend this blend, I think this and Old toby are the two top MEB in the series. They all have high quality ingredients and are perfect for hiking in the woods, picnicks etc. Or reading/watching the Tolkien books/films as they were inspired by. The blender as a note to ALL these blends is very thoughtful with what and how much of the ratios of ingredients go into them. They could all stand on their own but I think Longbottom Leaf is mild enough to be an all day smoke but interesting enough not to get borring.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Drinkless Billiard Style

Age When Smoked: Opened from Trial Pack

Purchased From: Just For Him

DaBadMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaBadMan (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

An exceedingly mellow smoke. It's a very light blend that is only half aro. This blend reminds us how enjoyable the taste of tobacco can be. Moisture content was beautiful. This tobacco smoked dry and completely. No bite to be found. If you are looking for a traditional aromatic with ample flavoring you will not find it here. Instead you will find a very mild yet very enjoyable smoke which is certainly worth trying. DBM

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Aged 1 month

Purchased From: Just for Him

scarr6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scarr6 (1)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

As with many of us, my inspiration to pick up a pipe were the writings of the great Professor Tolkien. I have been aware of Just for Him's line of Middle-Earth inspired blends for quite some time, but waited to purchase them until I obtained a good churchwarden. I was quite excited to try Longbottom Leaf, but after three bowls of it, I remain unimpressed. There is a lack of consistency in the relation between the Virginia tobaccos and the vanilla flavoring, much more than I have noticed in any of the other blends I have smoked. At times, the vanilla is pervasive while at other times is absent, leaving the smoker with a bland assortment of Virginias. It is uninteresting in taste and is forgettable once the bowl is finished. It leaves an unpleasant aftertaste that is difficult to get rid of. I do not plan on purchasing this again and remain searching for the true Longbottom Leaf.

Pipe Used: Davidson Cherry Gandalf

Age When Smoked: Just purchased

Purchased From: Just For Him

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (34)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I thought I was not a fan of vanilla but when it is subtle like this it is very nice. This tobacco packed and lit easily enough but it just stressed me out. Where is the strength? It is frustrating to smoke because the taste is so weak but so nice. It gave me the feeling that my pipe went out and in order to chase the flavour you end up turning your pipe into a flamethrower. A damn shame.

Pipe Used: Mr brog

Similar Blends: Air.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend had a great initial taste, but it did kind of bland out towards the middle . It wasn't dry, but had a bit of a tongue bite if puffed too fast.

The Virginias used were of pretty good quality and would have been better untouched, in my opinion. It had decent body.

I give this a generous three, it would be a two, if it was anything else other then what they say it would be. I would still like to try other pipe weed blends.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Cob

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Longbottom leaf is a good introduction to the aromatic smoker making a transition to virginias, is very easy to light and to keep going very forgiving for constant puffers since, the virginias almost have a lemony flavor to it and in my opinion overpower whatever the cavendish provides I recommend to use a pipe dedicated to aromatics because it will flavor a pipe, in the aromatic category you could do much worse. Would I buy it again probably not, but nevertheless it is a intriguing blend.

PhantomWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhantomWolf (38)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is my first review of the Just For Him- Middle Earth series and if the other blends are this decent, I will be very happy.

Straight forward Virginia with some pleasing vanilla gravy. The flavour is sweet and simple, though not cheap or boring. Grassy, sweet, and a rich quality to the vanilla that made me think of brown sugar. I chugged my way through this bowl. Very smooth. I tried to get it to bite out of curiosity and it would not. It burned all the way down needing only one relight and left a brand new virgin cob dry.

Very little to say about this blend in the negative. The vanilla wanes late-bowl and it gets a little ashen in flavour. The Virginia is there and has life to it, but you will have to smoke slow and retro-hale to sort it from the obvious topping.

To summarize, I probably wont buy this again, but it was fun to smoke. This blend puts OTC drugstore Aros to absolute shame. Quality tobacco and no goopy chemical casing. Excellent for beginners and vanilla VA lovers alike.

JustForHim.com The site design is very 'Bleh,' but it was a smooth transaction and I received my order just two business days later with the cheapest postage option! Will certainly order from their site again. Great job guys and I look forward to touring the rest of Middle Earth with you.

2 Stars for me personally, but 3 Stars for Aromatic lovers.

Pipe Used: Virgin Missouri Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Bulk

Purchased From: JustForHim.com

ahmadyuzamir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahmadyuzamir (6)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Starting off on the pouch note, predominantly clear about this tobacco is the sweet casing that has been applied. As a primarily non-aro smoker, I find the sweet smelling Vanilla casing just on the right side. It is not as revolting as the ones you would experience on say, Planta or the deathly Mixture 79. Upon light, as usually the case with most Aros the sweet smelling vanilla does not translate into the smoke. However, the choice of Virginia used in this concoction is delicious and being a Va lover I am quite surprised to see my self liking this blend.

Room note was fantastic, akin to the toasted caramel note that you get with Captain Black (White Pouch). Honestly, this is note the kind of tobacco I would buy again, but if I were marooned on a dessert island with no other choice to smoke, I would live.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Hardwood

Purchased From: JustforHim

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Very light flavor with a hint of vanilla. Not much to comment on because not much to smell or taste.

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another shire blend, from just for Him, and as always they nailed the smooth no-bite smoke perfect. I could taste the Virginia and a hint of vanilla, just not strong enough. It was a mild easy going smoke. I will try it some more as it had a ghost of sweetness and never was a biter. there seems to be certain blends that some smokers can taste and others cannot, so far Ruins of Isengard is the one i can really enjoy the full and distinct flavors, this offering of longbottom leaf was a little short on the flavor, just whisps and hints. nice nic content, but not a top shelf choice for me.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

I give Longbottom Leaf a solid 7 out of 10. I like it better than Shortcut to Mushrooms. The flavor does change toward the end of the bowl, but not unpleasantly. It's almost like getting two blends in one.

A good choice for aromatic fans looking for something a little richer.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

This is my last stop in the Middle Earth Series from JFM. I must say this one is as unique as the others were. There is the vanilla that tastes nicely in the pipe and smells nicely out of the pouch. This weed burns nice and slowly for me. I haven't heard any complaints from the wife and no pigeons dropped off the roof, alas it receives a pleasant room note rating. The moisture level may be a little on the high side for some, since I had some gurgle whilst smoking away, but no drastic measures are necessary, like having to dump a bowl out or anything as rash as that. It smokes down to a nice ash with some dottle in it. It produces a nice amount of smoke and there was not even a hint of tongue bite. I would have to say that this is recommended.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The vanilla is very noticeable in this blend, but it does not overpower the Virginias. They blend perfectly! This is a wonderful aromatic tobacco that I love to smoke and be around others smoking. If this is what Longbottom Leaf was really like, those little Hobbits certainly did have some of the finest pipe-weed.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This tastes much like other brands of lightly flavoured Virginia. I do love the Lord of the Rings tie in, although I am not sure if the Hobbits would use vanilla to sweeten their weed. But who's to say. It is as written before, quality Virginia.

Dave_in_desert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave_in_desert (5)

Longbottom Leaf is a wonderful front porch starry night kind of smoke. It is also pleasurable while fishing or sitting around a campfire. My first batch was great from the first bowl, while the second batch was best a couple of months later. It gets better with age. The last batch that I got was bad.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I am in the process of trying all of the Middle Earth series from JFH and I ordered a sample of all but this one as usually when vanilla note is mentioned I know I won't like it. But there was an extra sample in the box when it came so I tried it anyway while relaxing with a book. Boy was I surprised. I actually enjoyed it! I also don't tend to be an all virginia lover but again, I enjoyed it. About halfway through the bowl, my mouth starting watering from it and I got that sweet paste we all search for on the end of my tongue. So, here I go again reversing my thinking I know my preferences. This is a very mild tasty tobacco that has only the faintest of vanilla, more of a trace of cherry in it and had zero gunk at the bottom of my pipe but that is pretty much always the case with JFH tobaccos. Give it a try, it will surprise you.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Just finished my bag of Uncle Bob's first offering in the Middle Earth series. I'm not much into aromatics, but this was a pleasant diversion. There's enough Virginia to keep you fairly interested, and the vanilla topping is never obtrusive; kind of like a top note to a fine perfume.

As I was in a small bind (everything else being cleaned or resting) I smoked my last bowl in a very nice little clay "as friends will do in a pinch." This really helped me seperate the nuances of this blend. It's called an English aromatic, but I'd have to move it closer to the "aromatic" end of the slider, than the "English." The vanilla wove in and out of the Virginias, all the way to the bottom of a (very) hot bowl. My Basenjis liked it, and they hate anything English, straight Virginia, or VAPER. I really didn'y notice much variation from lighting to finish.

If you enjoy a light aromatic, this is a fine choice. For something toward the heavier end of the aromatic scale, try "Treebeard." Not the same blend, but the characteristics are similar.

I'm waiting for JFH to some out with a more robust "Brandybuck", or rustic "Prancing Pony." Heck, I'll even settle for a heather-laced "rivendell" or Crickhollow." Or a real hobbit's smoke: whatever it is all those gaffers grubbing potatoes and tending their masters' fields and gardens stick in their pipes!

A good 2..75 to 3 stars on this one.