This is the first in the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series! Fragrant Virginias are blended with a hint of vanilla to produce the finest leaf the Shire has to offer!

BrandJust For Him

2.7
Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Longbottom Leaf is to Middle Earth what Lane's 1Q is to the real world.

That doesn't mean anything negative. It is just a very basic, sweet, mild and pleasing tobacco, but not something to store in a chest away from the world only to be had on special occasions. It is probably what a hobbit would consider an everyday smoke.

It is very mild, so perfect for a beginner, the aromatic qualities would also be very pleasing to any new piper. The strength just isn't there. If you roughhouse with this, it will bite.

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Longbottom Leaf is a light aromatic with an obvious essence of Vanilla. A high class blend with enough tobacco taste to keep me interested for awhile. It turned a bit sour on me as I neared the bottom of the bowl, but the first 2/3rds were doggone good.

If you are a fan of lightly sweet Vanilla tobaccos, this one might zoom to the top of your list of favorites.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (57)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Longbottom leaf is a good introduction to the aromatic smoker making a transition to virginias, is very easy to light and to keep going very forgiving for constant puffers since, the virginias almost have a lemony flavor to it and in my opinion overpower whatever the cavendish provides I recommend to use a pipe dedicated to aromatics because it will flavor a pipe, in the aromatic category you could do much worse. Would I buy it again probably not, but nevertheless it is a intriguing blend.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (11)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I thought I was not a fan of vanilla but when it is subtle like this it is very nice. This tobacco packed and lit easily enough but it just stressed me out. Where is the strength? It is frustrating to smoke because the taste is so weak but so nice. It gave me the feeling that my pipe went out and in order to chase the flavour you end up turning your pipe into a flamethrower. A damn shame.

Pipe Used: Mr brog

Similar Blends: Air.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend had a great initial taste, but it did kind of bland out towards the middle . It wasn't dry, but had a bit of a tongue bite if puffed too fast.

The Virginias used were of pretty good quality and would have been better untouched, in my opinion. It had decent body.

I give this a generous three, it would be a two, if it was anything else other then what they say it would be. I would still like to try other pipe weed blends.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Cob

ahmadyuzamir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahmadyuzamir (4)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Starting off on the pouch note, predominantly clear about this tobacco is the sweet casing that has been applied. As a primarily non-aro smoker, I find the sweet smelling Vanilla casing just on the right side. It is not as revolting as the ones you would experience on say, Planta or the deathly Mixture 79. Upon light, as usually the case with most Aros the sweet smelling vanilla does not translate into the smoke. However, the choice of Virginia used in this concoction is delicious and being a Va lover I am quite surprised to see my self liking this blend.

Room note was fantastic, akin to the toasted caramel note that you get with Captain Black (White Pouch). Honestly, this is note the kind of tobacco I would buy again, but if I were marooned on a dessert island with no other choice to smoke, I would live.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Hardwood

Purchased From: JustforHim

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (32)
Mild Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Very light flavor with a hint of vanilla. Not much to comment on because not much to smell or taste.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)

Soft aromatic with VA + Vanilla. Not being a fan of Vanilla sometimes I wonder why is this the most common flavoring for aromatic tobacco. Somehow disappointed about this blend after trying other JFH masterpieces. Dont get me wrong it is good and I will give it a second chance... there is just some better.

Note: there is great discrepancy in the reviews of JFH tobaccos. I wonder if their bulks are just not very consistent/homogeneous so depending on how lucky you are you get something that in fact is always different.

Pfeifegeliebter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifegeliebter (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I bought the LOTR sampler thinking this and Toby would be my favorites but it turns out I liked them the least of the five blends. I did like this blend better than Old Toby , but Mushrooms and Ruins are much better. Again it might be that I favor aromatics more than regular blends but I wanted to enjoy this but I did not "do it" for me.

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another shire blend, from just for Him, and as always they nailed the smooth no-bite smoke perfect. I could taste the Virginia and a hint of vanilla, just not strong enough. It was a mild easy going smoke. I will try it some more as it had a ghost of sweetness and never was a biter. there seems to be certain blends that some smokers can taste and others cannot, so far Ruins of Isengard is the one i can really enjoy the full and distinct flavors, this offering of longbottom leaf was a little short on the flavor, just whisps and hints. nice nic content, but not a top shelf choice for me.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

I give Longbottom Leaf a solid 7 out of 10. I like it better than Shortcut to Mushrooms. The flavor does change toward the end of the bowl, but not unpleasantly. It's almost like getting two blends in one.

A good choice for aromatic fans looking for something a little richer.

BeardedBounder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeardedBounder (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked. Unlit it smells like licorice or horehound candy. The day I smoked it was very windy but it lit easily and I only had to relight once 3/4th of the way down and the only help I got for packing and lighting was from youtube videos

This is an excellent beginners tobacco.

jollysmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jollysmith (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

i found that this had very little bite which i found nice for a new pipe smoker, but near the end of the bowl i found the taste to start to bitter. you could also tell it was a very wet smoke at the end

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)

It came in a sampler pack it wasnt very strong i wouldnt purchase it again.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)

Longbottom Leaf is the first of the Middle Earth series I've tried from Just for Him. This ribbon cut tobacco has a great smell in the bag. I packed my Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat, which is my test cob, and it lit easily and smoked to the bottom without a relight.

The flavor started out very smooth and lightly sweet with a tobacco taste, and touch of vanilla. The taste faded slightly towards the bottom of the bowl, but it was still pleasant.

On a 1-10 scale, I give it a solid 7. I will smoke the entire sample, but probably will not purchase again. I have 4 others in the Middle Earth series to try...

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)

This is my last stop in the Middle Earth Series from JFM. I must say this one is as unique as the others were. There is the vanilla that tastes nicely in the pipe and smells nicely out of the pouch. This weed burns nice and slowly for me. I haven't heard any complaints from the wife and no pigeons dropped off the roof, alas it receives a pleasant room note rating. The moisture level may be a little on the high side for some, since I had some gurgle whilst smoking away, but no drastic measures are necessary, like having to dump a bowl out or anything as rash as that. It smokes down to a nice ash with some dottle in it. It produces a nice amount of smoke and there was not even a hint of tongue bite. I would have to say that this is recommended.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The vanilla is very noticeable in this blend, but it does not overpower the Virginias. They blend perfectly! This is a wonderful aromatic tobacco that I love to smoke and be around others smoking. If this is what Longbottom Leaf was really like, those little Hobbits certainly did have some of the finest pipe-weed.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This tastes much like other brands of lightly flavoured Virginia. I do love the Lord of the Rings tie in, although I am not sure if the Hobbits would use vanilla to sweeten their weed. But who's to say. It is as written before, quality Virginia.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)

Longbottom Leaf is a virginia-based light aromatic with a bit of vanilla added.

It tastes like tobacco, so that's a plus. The virginias have their own sweetness, which I like. The added vanilla is on the light side, which is good if you like a little vanilla, but I prefer vanilla to be more pronounced in aromatics (SVH by Dan tobacco for example).

Packing and lighting is the same as any other blend, nothing special required here. I found that smoking this blend just slow enough to keep it from going out helped make the vanilla stand out a little more though. It's a cool smoke, but I wouldn't recommend smoking it really fast, as you might get a little tongue bite.

This is my second try at JFH blends, the first being Shortcut to Mushrooms. I'm definitely open to trying more of their blends in the future, as they are very skilled tobacco blenders!

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm a big fan of JFH blends in general, and this one is no exception. It has a great taste, and as Pipestud notes, enough tobacco taste comes thru to please those who want something more than vanilla. Try it! You won't be disappointed!

Dave_in_desert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave_in_desert (5)

Longbottom Leaf is a wonderful front porch starry night kind of smoke. It is also pleasurable while fishing or sitting around a campfire. My first batch was great from the first bowl, while the second batch was best a couple of months later. It gets better with age. The last batch that I got was bad.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I am in the process of trying all of the Middle Earth series from JFH and I ordered a sample of all but this one as usually when vanilla note is mentioned I know I won't like it. But there was an extra sample in the box when it came so I tried it anyway while relaxing with a book. Boy was I surprised. I actually enjoyed it! I also don't tend to be an all virginia lover but again, I enjoyed it. About halfway through the bowl, my mouth starting watering from it and I got that sweet paste we all search for on the end of my tongue. So, here I go again reversing my thinking I know my preferences. This is a very mild tasty tobacco that has only the faintest of vanilla, more of a trace of cherry in it and had zero gunk at the bottom of my pipe but that is pretty much always the case with JFH tobaccos. Give it a try, it will surprise you.

punkeedo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
punkeedo (2)

This tobacco surely garners interest primarily from its association with the pipe-weed smoked by the Hobbits and their friends in the Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. As such, I find myself hesitant to give an overly harsh rating...I don't want to offend the Hobbits, after all.

Longbottom Leaf is not particularly strong or bold in any way. Like your typical Hobbit, it is mild in most every way. Little to no nicotine effect is noted; a very light vanilla aroma and flavor is noticed above the underlying hints of VAs. No latakia is noticed, despite Just for Him describing it as an "English-aromatic." Shortcut to Mushrooms and Ruins of Isengard would fit that description much better. The room note reminds me of a straight VA with a slight hint of sweetness. Not the most provocative aroma, but also not objectionable. The fast-smoking novice could cause some tongue bite, but it's a cool smoke overall.

Recommended if the Lord of the Rings piques your interest. On the other hand, Just for Him's Treebeard seems to be a much more exciting version of this blend.

Dan, Cordoba Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan, Cordoba Man (9)

One of the best I've had and will be ordered again. Burns very well and no bite. Wife says it smells good too... not that it matters.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If you are a fan of McClelland aromatics you should only shop at Just for Him. They do all things McClelland with a unique twist. This blend was no exception. I find it to be a tweaked "Old Church"- only sweeter. It is a cased Virginia and I do detect a Chocolate casing along with the Vanilla. Nothing complex here, but it is very enjoyable and relaxing with a very nice room note. Similar to Treebeard only sweeter. I actually prefer Longbottom leaf. If you are not a fan of McClelland I would advise you to skip the entire series of "Middle Earth". If , however you enjoy Best of Show, Old Church, and Townsman Maple Cavendish give this a whirl. 3 of 4 aromatic stars

Wylie Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wylie Coyote (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoyed this very much. Not much experience yet but found it a much more pleasurable experience than what I could find in supermarket brands. It has as sweet aftertaste, burns evenly and cool in my Nording. Nothing but ash when its done. Flavor stays very consistant throuout the bowl. Easy to light and stays lit.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Just finished my bag of Uncle Bob's first offering in the Middle Earth series. I'm not much into aromatics, but this was a pleasant diversion. There's enough Virginia to keep you fairly interested, and the vanilla topping is never obtrusive; kind of like a top note to a fine perfume.

As I was in a small bind (everything else being cleaned or resting) I smoked my last bowl in a very nice little clay "as friends will do in a pinch." This really helped me seperate the nuances of this blend. It's called an English aromatic, but I'd have to move it closer to the "aromatic" end of the slider, than the "English." The vanilla wove in and out of the Virginias, all the way to the bottom of a (very) hot bowl. My Basenjis liked it, and they hate anything English, straight Virginia, or VAPER. I really didn'y notice much variation from lighting to finish.

If you enjoy a light aromatic, this is a fine choice. For something toward the heavier end of the aromatic scale, try "Treebeard." Not the same blend, but the characteristics are similar.

I'm waiting for JFH to some out with a more robust "Brandybuck", or rustic "Prancing Pony." Heck, I'll even settle for a heather-laced "rivendell" or Crickhollow." Or a real hobbit's smoke: whatever it is all those gaffers grubbing potatoes and tending their masters' fields and gardens stick in their pipes!

A good 2..75 to 3 stars on this one.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Long-Bottom Leaf is a special blend from Just For Him. They classify it as aromatic English.

Start: Light and tiny whiffs of vanilla trickle out. Not overdone just notable.

Mid-Bowl: A consistent smoke here and a pleasant change if your looking for something with a little added flavor to mix things up. Hints of cinnamon oatmeal here too.

Finish: Finishes as started...good and tasty. Non-smokers will enjoy the room note...not over-powerful just pleasant.

Light on the artificial flavoring this blend is enjoyable. Nice to try but won't keep it on hand. The best I have had, in this genre of smoke, is Just For Him blend available from justforhim.com. It starts off creamy and rounds off into a delicious nutty euphoria.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Longbottom Leaf is a very light tobacco. Mild in all ways. The taste is pleasant, but I like something with a bit more kick.

See my review for Treebeard in this series. From Treebeard, just turn everything down to about 40% and you've got Longbottom Leaf. They could have called it 'Treebeard Lite'.

If you don't want a full pound, contact Just For Him about smaller quantities. They're very accomodating.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The virginias in this blend are what stand out more than the topping. While not a harsh tobacco blend, the virginias in it can bite a novice if smoked too fast. The vanilla topping is mild so as not to be overpowering, but is definitely there. It has a clean, unique taste and pleasant aroma. It can easily be used as an all day smoke.