PipesAndCigars.com

Admiral's Choice Vanilla is a mild-to-medium aromatic Brown Cavendish blend with a rich but very light vanilla topping and a very pleasing aroma.

Notes: Admiral's Choice pipe tobaccos are manufactured by Dream Castle Tobacco Company, a division of Sutliff Tobacco Company. Pipesandcigars.com and CigarsInternational.com are now the exclusive online and catalog retailer of these blends, though they can be found in retail outlets also.

BrandAdmiral's Choice
Packaging8-oz. bag
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild, Medium
2.6
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

It's a typical no-frills vanilla cavendish with a consistent flavor. Not a lot of tobacco taste, though a hint of it will occasionally strike your taste buds. A decent outdoor smoke. Dry it a little first or you'll have a bit of moisture at the bottom. Smoked at a moderate pace, it performs well enough. Needs an average number of relights. Made for the budget smoker who wants a simple all day sweet and smooth vanilla smoke. Barely has any nicotine. Has a pleasant after taste and won't bite.

FloridaRedneckPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FloridaRedneckPiper (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

One of the best OTC blends you can get. Used to be a CVS exclusive now it's a pipes and cigars exclusive. Weather you're doing hard yard/farm work or sailing, This is a nice smoke. Hints of vanilla here and there. The bag note is a really strong fresh vanilla extract.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Washington

Age When Smoked: Dried overnight.

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

As a fan of Vanilla flavored tobacco (well, as long as I can taste the tobacco, too), I looked forward to Vanilla Cavendish. It hit on all cylinders with me. Light and flavorful for those times when you want to smoke a flavor without thinking about it too much. Smoked a little wet, but hey, most aromatics do.

Pipestud

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent vanilla aromatic, decent tobacco flavor, lights and smokes well. I think the AC brand has come a long way in the last few years. This is good tobacco, not the best but just fine, and very smokeable. The vanilla topping was really well done. And I'm not an aro guy. Not so sold on other AC blends, but the Vanilla Cav is a winner. I did not have a dottle problem but if it smokes a bit wet, try it in a cob.

I buy it on sale, like 9.99 for a half pound. At that price, 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Purchased From: WV Smokeshop

Rustiepyles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustiepyles (3)

This used to be the CVS otc house brand. Since CVS no longer sells any tobacco products this only available online now. This has been my go to aromatic for a long time, it's a great mild vanilla for around the house, garage, yard, ect. As far as otc aromatics go this is the best for the money.

Pipe Used: Cob, basket pipe, Dr Grabow

Purchased From: CVS

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (16)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

About four years ago, I picked up a bag of ACVC, pretty much on a whim, and smoked nearly half of it, before I decided that there must be better blends out there. Because the packaging is around 10mil thick, I just left it in the bag. The pouch note was OK, not overpowering, but that's about where it ended. The taste was just a little astringent to my mouth, seemed to burn much too hot, and was somewhat "bitey" to me. Had I been a member of this forum back then, I would have given it only 1 star.

I don't throw tobacco away. It just went on the "emergency smoke" shelf, with a few other "also rans", until today. On the strength of the reviews here, I decided to see if there was something I was missing in the Admiral, and fired up a bowl full. The bag still has a rather nice note to it, but the smoke is just as bland. No tobacco taste, and very little vanilla....still awfully warm, and still some bite.

Mixed with some BCA, the bite subsided, and a little more nutty vanilla appeared, but not enough to match my fave mix of 1Q & BCA. But, at least I know it won't eventually have to be binned, unless BCA happens to fall down some FDA rathole. It was still not good enough to my tastes, however, to smoke the entire bowl. I proceeded to my 1Q/BCA jar, and fired up what I think is a much better smoke, for me, anyway.

I still give it 1 star, if smoked alone. There are better choices. 2 stars if mixed with a black Cav, like BCA. However, that's about as far as I can stretch in saluting the Admiral.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh,and four years later

Purchased From: CVS, before correctness ravaged the land

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (25)
Very Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

I found this a really pleasant, relaxing middle of the day smoke. It's on the moist side in the freshly opened bag, so a bit of drying probably won't hurt. However, I smoked a bowl immediately upon opening the P&C delivery box, and found this Vanilla Cavendish surprisingly smooth and pleasant without any drying. As a prior review noted, there's no bite. I find many aromatics leave an unpleasant aftertaste, and therefore tend to drift towards non-aros and English blends. This however, was surprisingly comfortable. There's not a lot of tobacco taste here. For a frequent smoker of English blends, this tobacco made of an enjoyable change of pace.

Pipe Used: Guildhall Billiard

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I have Good news/bad news with this tobacco. The good is I have finally found an aromatic that tastes like it smells. The. Bad it has almost zero vanilla scent! A totally flavorless tobacco. Spend $4 more and get Smoker's Pride Balck cavendish or even the vanilla one is much better. Not recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars

Purchased From: Pipesandcigers.com

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Interesting this Vanilla Cavendish as it is not goopy or vanilla laden, no its far from it. I was expecting a 1Q or RLP-6 type offering but this comes as a brown Cavendish very lightly topped with vanilla, very lightly. It comes moist but does dry out on a baking tray overnight. I was actually disappointed in that I was expecting to be blown away by topping and got the exact opposite which I guess would appeal to light aromatic smokers or non aromatic smokers looking for something to smoke in public. I mixed this 50/50 with Prince Albert and found that the Cavendish sweetened up the Burley and provided a nice room aroma. Two stars as its not horrible but I would rather buy Smokers Pride or any Lane blend and get blown away with aroma and sweetness....

damajor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
damajor (4)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I really like this blend for the money. I don't find it as goopy as the Super Value brand and better than Smoker's Pride. It's a great all day smoke. Smoke it slow and it's very enjoyable. Doesn't require constant re-lights.

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)

remembering that this is a modern day OTC, i must say that it is a surprisingly good smoke--

i had sworn off the "druggie" blends, but found myself in "one of those situations"--the PG content in the tobacco is way below what i have encountered in other modern OTCs--

it is much drier than i would have expected, although a bit more drying will help--after multiple bowls, in several pipes, i found Vanilla Cavendish to light easily and stay lit, with possibly one re-light toward the end of the bowl--

i can actually taste the tobacco; the vanilla isn't overpowering--the pouch aroma and room note are quite nice--

as a stand alone smoke it is more than adequate, considering what it is--i have found it to mix well with PA and CH, which was part of my rationale when i bought it--(stretching the tobacco dollar has become important of late)--

it could easily be an all day smoke, with little or no attack on the tongue--it might become boring to some, but my tastes aren't that refined i suppose--AND if you find yourself out of pocket and out of tobacco, you can find yourself a CVC pharmacy, buy a pouch of Vanilla Cavendish and soldier on without missing a step--

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I thought it was going to be like many drug store blends. All syrup to go with the bite. Yes this has unwanted chemicals added to the tobacco. This very fact makes it appear as if it was a typical drugstore blend. However, the room note surprisingly smells like "vanilla." For once a tobacco drug store tobacco that smelled like what it actually advertised. The taste and flavoring was mild, not super overpowering like many candy tobaccos. This is best in a cob and is a great mixing baccy. Its not the best, but good for beginners and a "go to" for the seasoned aromatic pipe smoker. Plus its cheap, so you can't go wrong with this one.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Very inexpensive tobacco, figured I would give them a try. Nice odor in the pouch always seems to translate into poor taste in the pipe (least been my experience with aromatics) but was this was not the case with this tobacco. Very wet stuff, absolutely has to be dried a bit before smoking. Delightful taste, casing is very strong but the tobacco is overpowered quite a bit. No tongue bite even with heavy pulls on the pipe so very forgiving stuff. This is a great tobacco for novices, if you want to get someone into pipes, give them a cob and Admiral's Choice vanilla &/or cherry. You must keep this stuff airtight, it loses its flavor quickly. I have mixed this vanilla with Admiral's Choice Cherry and it tastes great. I also added some Prince Albert for more a kick and it is my new every day blend. I keep my nice tobaccos for when I have time to really sit and relax, I use this when driving or for a quick smoke since it is cheap enough not to worry about getting a few puffs then dumping the bowl. Good on it's own, much better when blended, definitely a good starter tobacco!!

newsandtraffic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsandtraffic (17)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Went to my local CVS today looking for something else which they didn't have so picked up a bag of this to give it a try. Not bad. Kind of soupy when it is being smoked and have decided that it would probably be better once it is dried a little and plan to do that overnight. Is difficult to keep lit in its out of the bag form. I was unable to get this to bite as some others have stated that they did. Certainly not the best I've ever had but for the price it gets the job done. Nowhere near the worst I've ever had either. Will not be in my regular rotation. However when the budget is tight or the CVS is the only thing which is open. I could see Myself picking this up again. And will probably give their black & gold a try sometime as well.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Very sweet, gooey, and inexpensive. More of a potpourri, but if you smoke it very slowly, it isn't that bad.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (43)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow! This is the most vanilla I've ever had. I'm not sure there's any tobacco in it. This is a real candy flavor. I can't complain because I got an 8oz tub for less that a 1.5oz pack of Capt Black goes for. I plan to use this to sweeten up some old pipes. It may be ok cut with something. If you've got a real sweet tooth and are on a budget, this is for you. Its too much for me! 1 star ** Update 11/2016 - I tried this again and am upgrading to 2 stars. It used to be black & tan and sticky, now its an even brown and highly PG'd. For the price point it is ok, though I'd still suggest Mac Baren Vanilla Creme or Lane MV1000 (close in price) for Virginia based vanillas, or even Stokkebye PS6 Sweet Vanilla if you require a burley base.