Medium English blend of Virginias and latakia with a bit of cavendish for a slightly sweet taste.

BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Blended ByCarole Burns
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging2 oz. bag, 4 oz. bag, 8 oz. bag 16 oz. bag
Strength
Taste

3.1

The grassy, citrusy, lightly earthy and dark fruity Virginias form the base of the blend, and though they may be the lead component by volume, the cavendish takes the flavor lead. A topping isn’t mentioned, but there’s no doubt one is here, and I’m mostly certain it is Carole’s Royal Scot in the cavendish. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is a background player. The taste level is step closer to medium than it is to mild, while the strength is a little closer to mild than it is to medium, until the last quarter of the bowl when it gathers just a little more potency. It falls just short of medium by that time.The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a consistent, sweet, light smoky flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste and room note. Can be an all day aromatic English smoke.

This blend is spicey and sweet, with a delicate compliment of Latakia. Indeed, the Cavendish plays the lead, with other types of leaf for support. This one can burn hot when it is fresh, so let it dry a bit. This intensifies the flavor as well. Even after drying, this one was a bit bitey for me. I strongly discourage getting too greedy with this stuff.

This is a rather unusual blend, but I feel it would make a nice change of pace for the open minded. Die hard English fans will probably hate it.

This one nips me a little too often to keep it around, but it's probably a personal problem! Flavor wise, this is quite good. It's certainly worth a sample.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (24)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I have been slowly working my way through Wilke's blends and Orlik's new Dunhill blends. In some ways many are similar which surprised me. At any rate, PC was a pleasant shock. After a number of years, Latakias just underwhelm me so I was apprensive in trying this blend. The nicotene strength is low so this could be a great all day smoke if anyone does that these days.

I don't think it is cased. The virginias are full but don't nip and the Latakias are soft while they cooperate with the other tobaccos and behave themselves. I am sure the cavendish plays a huge role in this. The quality of the leaf is high as with all Wilke's blends so far. This is a very balanced tobacco. The result is a sweet, smooth, and balanced delight. Some one wrote it reminded him/her of Chelsea Morning. I went back and checked. Yep, they do have so elements in common, but PC is a little sweeter which is fine with me. Room note is good when my wife came she didn't roll her eyes at me. Remember there are bad tobaccos and good tobaccos. Then there are really good tobaccos. PC is a really good tobacco. It deserves your attention. 4 stars.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is incredible! One of the best medium english mixtures around, for sure. It's spicy, tasty with an aroma so good that it will be a hard work to find something similar. It can be the perfect all-day smoke even for who's not a latakia head.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Presentation is typical Wilke ribbon. A mixture of light, medium, and dark browns. Jar note is slightly sweet, with a touch of smokey Latakia.  Will benefit from some drying time before lighting.  This blend produces plenty of smoke and will definitely nip, but not quite bite, if rushed.

The charring light brings a very sweet flavor to the tip of the tongue. While Royal Scot is not listed as an ingredient, I strongly suspect it is the Cavendish listed here. After the true light, some citrusy Virginias poke through as well. Latakia is applied here with a very gentle hand and, in the first third of the bowl it's a light, condiment touch but nothing more.

By mid-bowl the lemony citrus settles down a bit but the smokey notes of Latakia are still struggling to shine through. This flavor profile remains fairly consistent through to the end.  There is a touch of smokiness in the background but the sweet Virginias and Cavendish are the stars of this show. By the final third of the bowl, I found myself wanting something more in order to ground this blend - perhaps some burley, or a touch more Latakia.

In this regard, it's tough to consider this a "medium English", and I think true English smokers may be disappointed. This is definitely an aromatic English and in Pipeworks & Wilke's line-up I would rate it as more similar to No.5 and No.13 than, say, Bestmake, which is less sweet. To my taste, this blend could use some burley to balance out the sweetness from the lemon Virginias and Cavendish. But then it would basically be No.5.

That doesn't make this a bad tobacco, far from it. I don't want to suggest that this is anything other than a good blend from one of my favorite blenders. But Carole has several better blends in this category.  Those who like a pinch of Latakia in their aromatic blend should definitely try this. Smokers of HGL will find this a dryer, higher quality blend.

Similar Blends: Pipeworks & Wilke - Wilke No.005.

Ronv69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronv69 (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I like this blend a lot. It is a smooth, cool and slightly sweet change of pace. I guess I would call it a light aro with a touch of Latakia. I tend to smoke a lot of this type of blend. If you like Frog Morton, you might also like this as a lighter occasional smoke. I can smoke several bowls of this in a row, which I can't do with Frog Morton. I think it is always worth trying a couple of ounces of any Wilke blend, as they are all quality blends. It may or may not be for you, but I doubt that you will really dislike it. I smoke it about once a month, but I smoke a wide variety of blends. This is one that I always want on hand. Note that the nic-hit kicks up noticeably in the last 20% of the bowl. Smokes to ash in this pipe with little moisture.

Pipe Used: Don Warren Morta bent pot

Purchased From: Pipeworks and Wilke

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I did not like this at all. The listings above say there is no flavoring, but I do not believe it. I tasted Vanilla when I first lit up my first bowl of the sample sent me. I was cooking on the grill for my In Laws, who happened to be over. After moving some meat around. I sat down with my FIL who immediately remarked "smells good, Vanilla right?"

Looking on here, it stated there was nothing listed, but I did see a few reviewers also picked up on Vanilla notes. Whatever is used to top this blend seems, to me, at odds with the latakia and otherwise English Notes this blend has. It is contrasting and distracting and further points out the reason many of us will use some pipes for lat blends and some pipes for aros, but seldom intertwine them.

When an aromatic English is done right it can be enjoyable. Blends like C&D Sweet English, PS EOS and luxury English are a couple of examples. This one is just terrible to my tastes. My favorite bowl was the last since I diluted it with so much unflavored Cavendish. I wanted to give this one star, but will give it two out of respect for reviewers I know who apparently don't think it is as bad as I thought it was.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I was given a sample recently of a friends stash of Pipemaker's Choice and through the bag I could tell this would be an interesting taste. Latakia blends that have a topping are one of those love it or hate it genre's since traditional English smokers tend to scoff at a topped English and Aromatic smokers might not enjoy the smokiness. I enjoyed the full mouth feel and strength of PC and my family were pleased with the room note so it's a win-win. To me PC is a light to medium English with a decent amount of Latakia but nowhere near bomb territory and the supporting Virginia's were of course the best quality being as Carole uses nothing but the finest leaf. I do not believe the blend is topped but rather an Aromatic Cavendish is added to the English blend which keeps the goopyness and moisture at a perfect level. At $60 + per pound, this is a bit steep for what Is essentially an Aromatic English, or is it an English Aromatic... But either way if this is your thing then PC is the best rendition of the genre I have found.

Purchased From: Pipeworks and Wilke