Inspired by morning walks in the cool air of the Teton Mountains, Moose Scat combines Turkish, Virginia, Perique, and Syrian Latakia tobaccos to
produce a satisfying experience for discriminating pipe smokers who like a full flavor and rich English blend. Its' namesake.

BrandJack's Tobacco
Blended ByJoe Harb
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Perique, Latakia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Strong
Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Thanks again to Joe Harb for this sample...delicious. This is more stout, more musky, more salty, more spicy, more smoky than JH's other blends and I love it. The Moose came by and dropped his wares at my doorstep and instead of recoiling in horror...I packed it in my pipe....yum. This smokes so well and the depth of flavor is wonderful, I'm saddened I have no more. Well I can dream! TYLJ

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I can appreciate all of the enthusiastic reviews about this rather unusually named and tasting blend, but I don't think I'll be joining the band wagon.

Moose Scat is not sweet enough for me. It is bold and somewhat salty in the English tobacco sense. I found it to be a rather palate numbing blend that is sure to be appreciated by those who enjoy dark beer and Highland Malt.

If a bold English taste with lots of variance as you work your way down the bowl suits you (and apparently, it suits plenty of folks) then have a dose of Moose Scat. It'll leave an impression on you, that's for sure.

And, as is the case with most all of the Jack's blends I have tried, Moose Scat is more coarsely cut than fine, burns evenly and cleanly, and is hard pressed to bite.

This is one of those unusual blends that doesn't offer a great deal of strength, but sure does offer plenty of flavor.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Moose Scat has wormed it's way into my pipe smoking heart to become one of my absolute favorite tobaccos. I was introduced to this blend by a neighbor of mine, and I have become a devoted follower of the cult of the Moose ever since.

Moose Scat is a wonderful full English blend impresses me on every score. Colored mostly dark brown and black with a few lighter strands about, the cut is a mix of ribbon, broken flakes and finer bits. The leaf smells so good in the bag that I almost want to grab a pinch and eat it (so far, I have been able to resist the temptation).

The tobacco is fairly moist when fresh, and I prefer to dry it out for a few days before smoking or canning. When dry, the leaf packs well into the bowl, and lights easily. The first puff gives a clue as to what is coming: a remarkably flavorfull and smooth smoke. Descriptive terms that come to mind include rich, (naturally) sweet, smoky, full bodied, and cool. To my palatte, Moose Scat is the finest English blend that I have ever sampled. If I had to list the primary reason I think that I like this stuff so much I would have to say that it was to to the quality of the Virginia components used in the blend. I have yet to find another English tobacco where the Virginias marriy so well with the Latakia and other leaf.

Although it is really not fair to do so, if I compare Mose Scat with two of my "reference" English blends I find that Dunhill Nightcap tastes a little dull and flat. Compared to the Moose, I find Dunhill 965 to be almost on the bitter side. Remember, these are my impressions and your milage may vary.

Moose Scat is my desert island smoke - you know, the one I want if I am ever stranded on a desert island and was limited to only one tobacco. I know that my review may sound a little over the top, but my enthusiasm gets reinforced every time I light up a bowl.

kbosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kbosi (15)

I first tried this blend at the 2002 Milwaukee pipe show and have been smoking it ever since. Wonderful flavor that keeps me coming back for more. If you like latakia than this is a must try. You will not be sorry.