A classic London mixture with red Virginia, Latakia, Turkish and Black Cavendish in well balanced proportions.

Notes: Originally blended in England.

BrandAstley's
2.9
Synthacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Synthacus (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

With the tin open there is a slight antiseptic odor that is different but not displeasing. A little too chemical for my tastes. However, that clinical feeling quickly disappears as I close the tin.

It is easy to work with while filling the pipe. A virgin volcano chosen for the natural flow of grain and the fact that the gods of pipe smoking require a firey sacrifice. There is no sweetness to tempt the taste buds. There is no nashing of teeth to mortify the tongue. It is a benediction that is heard by the blenders is the sacred realm.

They are pleased as I start to smoke. The slight odor of burning myhrr fills the room. Something sacred goes on between the puffs of white smoke. The taking of smoke into my lungs as I open my mouth is a hymn; a solemn moment. I must continue my prayers.

It may not be the same religious experience for you, but I will never commit the sin of not having a tin in my house.

I cannot really add to what the above esteemed reviewer has said other than the fact that this blend will probably perform better once its been dried out some. I found the leaf to be too moist straight out of the tin.

This is indeed an elegant, Latakia dominated blend with just enough of the other elements to cause Astley's #1 to really shine, particularly in larger bowled pipes. I have no idea why, but it seems that Latakia/unsweetened cavendish blends tend to smoke better for me when given more room for the flavor to "roam," if that makes any sense.

More sweet than smokey, I think Astley's #1 is probably going to please anyone who enjoys Latakia enriched blends that don't flex their muscles and then slap you across the face.

There's a bit of sweetness from the red Virginia and cavendish that offsets the smoky latakia a little, though the latakia is the main player here. I got a light hint of spice from the Turkish to add a nice flavor dimension. A well balanced blend as the manufacturer claims, and though there are some more fulfilling blends, I found this hit the right taste spot when I smoked it. There are much worse ways to get a latakia fix, and I recommend English smokers give it a try if they are looking for a blend that isn't dry to the taste buds.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (29)

This is a good English blend with character. I didn't have any bad experience with this one. With that said, it's not perfect and it didn't blow me away. You could do a lot worse, but I'm still waiting to do a lot better.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Interesting taste, turkish is there and I like it but I do not find the one thing highly interesting effect that I had found in the US tobaccos or Dunhill 965.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Astley's No. 1 is a tobacco you don't hear much about but is worth a try. It's basically a lighter English blend with a touch of what I assume to be cavendish. The result gives it a sweetish tone with a fine room note. A shag cut, it burns cooly down to a dry ash. Overall, a fine option for one looking for a fairly interesting, not overly complex, lighter English.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I consider this a middle of the road English blend. Nothing great and nothing lousy either. Good cut and good burning characteristics. More emphasis on the Turkish component than I care for. Not too much emphasis on the Latakia. If you like basic English blends and like that pungent Turkish taste, then try this. I prefer blends like 965 that have a hint more natural sweetness.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

When I first have a bowl of this I immediately love the flavor, sweet and smokey with a touch of toastiness. The problem I have with this blend is it can be a bit bitey at times. I think this probably has something to do with the sweet virginias that are in this. If this did not bite me as much I would give it a higher rating. Although I would smoke this if it was given to me (thanks Brad for this tin) I probably would not buy another tin of this as there are many blends in this genre that are very tastey but are not quite as bitey.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Between this and Astley's #99, almost all of my need for English type blends is satisfied. Astley's #1 is unquestionably my favorite mild to medium English and the perfect latakia blend for a Virginia and Va/Perique smoker such as I.

Perhaps the most appealing characteristic is the way that the Latakia does not overly dominate the blend. The combination of that earthy, smokey character that Latakia imparts, mild sweetness from the predominant Virginias and nutty, mildy sweet flavor from the black cavendish (it isn't overly sweet though-- more like the washed black cavendish used by Greg Pease or Craig Tarler than the sweeter cavendishes used by other firms-- perhaps the proportion isn't just that great. Not sure, but don't let the black cavendish turn you off as it would me had I not tried the blend).

All round, a superbly balanced blend and a perfect English smoke for those that generally do not lean towards heavy proportions of latakia.