This tobacco is a blend containing 75% dark fired leaf 12.5% Malawi Burley and 12.5% Virginia. Your would therefore rightly expect a very strong smoke and one perhaps dominated by the pungent burnt smokey flavour so characteristics of leaf cured by open fire and smoke. However, a comparison of this tobacco to the sliced brown unscented reveals the marked differences made by the blending of other tobacco grades, the cooling process and the addition of suitable casings and top flavours. (sliced Brown u/s is 100% dark fired leaf) which is only cold pressed before cutting, but not cooked. The casings chosen for this blend provide 'deeper' more 'rounded' smoother notes, in contrast to the 'sharper' Bosun Cut Plug; whilst the top flavour has the 'typical English' aroma. This tobacco is one of our best selling brands.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutRope
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Very Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
SFC Psaki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC Psaki (7)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable

Presented in 1" to 1 1/4" wide flakes, sliced fairly thin. Very moist, nearly black in color, and somewhat sticky. All of this is probably from the steam pressing. Presents an interesting, sweet aroma, but I am not able to precisely say what the flavoring agent reminds me of.

I have tried this both folded and stuffed into a pipe, and rubbed out. Rubbing out makes this a very fine cut ribbon, almost a shag. Either form benefits from some drying to ease lighting. I find this tobacco works very well in tall, narrower bowls, and I have a Peterson Lovat (size group 3) and a Barling billiard (about a group 2 or 3) that favor this blend very much. Contrarily, I smoke most flakes in fairly wide-bowled pipes, as this seems to be the best way to yield the most flavor for me.

The initial light yields a huge flavor! The flavoring agent is present, though not domineering in the RB-plug fashion. The topping is applied with far more restraint, and compliments rather than buries the extremely rich taste of the dark-fired tobaccos. This is not a soapy smoke at all, to me, but very sweet, and possessing an immensely rich, dark flavor. All bass notes, with some strong mid-range flavors, this tobacco is like molasses or brown sugar.

The secondary light was very even, and the smoke simply drives forward very easily from there. It is an easy smoke to keep going after a relight or two, and because the flavors are so strong, it is easy to smoke while doing something else. Also, I find that the bite-factor is almost non-existent. Usually this is the point where McClelland flakes bite me the hardest. Kendal flakes seem to be a bit more tame, especially the steam-pressed ones. I admit, I have never seen any other kind.

At the mid-point, the burn is very even and predictable. I would have to smoke this very hard to induce it to bite, and find this is also typical of my experience with Lakeland blends. The added flavor is much less pronounced at this point, and the native tobacco flavors dominate. This is my favorite part of a smoke after the initial light, where I feel a blend's true colors show.

Toward the bottom, the flavor is even more intense. The bowl is very easy to keep lit, despite the wetness, but there is the onset of some bitterness. I find this happens frequently wit fire-cured Malawi, I guess, as I don't find it as frequently in other blends from the USA and Germany. The ash is light grey, almost white, extremly fine, and powder-coats the bowl with a fine, thin, unform layer. I find this characteristic of Kendal blends, as well. Watch out for the nicotine at this point, as this blend is very strong.

On the whole, a very satisfying, rich, stout smoke. It answers very well after dinner, helping settle a meal admirably with strong coffee or a suitable adult libation. There are many other scented flakes that I loathe, but Coniston surprised me, and I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 ounces of this I smoked. However, because their are many other blends I enjoy more (especially Kendal Plug), I doubt I'll keep this on hand in enough quantity to warrant more than an occasional smoke.

8/8/04

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this as I needed a wee break from the 100g of Bosun Cut Plug I bought a while back. Took me a while to get through it all due to having a whole host of tobaccos to smoke. Still, it turns out a long weekend turned into a month in the sun.

The packet aroma is one of cloves with a little sweetness but not too much. The tobacco itself is of a cut similar to BCP, not rope as described here, though chopped a little more roughly, had some reassuringly big chunks of plug in there. It was no bother to rub out though. Packing and lighting were as stroll. The smoke itself is very nice. The cloves come through well and there are little hints of rosewater and bergomot a la BCP. After a little while, the flavours of the tobacco underneath come through giving a nice oaky, leafy taste to the smoke.

In summary, a corking tobacco and good companion to it's fellow floral plug cuts. I always enjoy smoking BCP after a decent evening meal, gives me a satisfied feeling of having had a feast, even if I've just had beans on toast. After this though, I think I will have to rotate between the two. A fully deserved four stars.