A mild fragrant tobacco that never burns the tongue. A simple blend of square cut Burley and Virginia tobaccos without additional flavors.

BrandPipeworks & Wilke
Blended ByCarole Burns
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Sojang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sojang (13)

Carol sent me a sample of this with one of my orders. I found nothing special. Smokes very dry. Not one of Carol's best and she has many.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Barclay Mixture is a terrific half-and-half that seems to be lightly sweetened. Wonderful cut, burns well, frgrant, cool, tasty. I'd add this to my rotation but for two problems: 1) it suffers from a bit of the Burley curse and can turn bitter toward the end; 2) like many Burleys, this tends to irritate my throat towards the end of the bowl. If you like Burley, or if you are a fan of half-and-halfs, I don't see how you can go wrong with this.

Mild to Medium Extra Strong Medium Overwhelming

This is a straight up blend for those of you who adore Burley and Virginia together. Well recommended.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

A solid, approachable blend that is instantly flavorful and winsome at first light. I would like to try this with a bit of perique substituted for the Burley, but a nice, warm-weather or indoor blend all the same. I do not DGT this blend, as it tends to become bitter towards the end if allowed to sit in the bowl too long.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (107)

P&W should definitely get out more and be visible: Carole (if she is the blender) has got the goods. I haven't had a bad one from her yet. I'm working thru a 6-pack sampler of my own choosing, and every one becomes my darling for a week. By all means, get yourself a sampler. She has something for everyone.

With so much flavor, it's hard to believe this isn't sprayed. It isn't: it's pure tobacco. I like this best in a big wide-bowled Brigham tooth-puller straight out of the bag. It seems damp but lights right up and keeps delivering, true to P&W's form.

Barclay doesn't really evolve as it smokes, other than intensity; the components are perfectly balanced. It gets quickly to and stays in the zone for a good half hour at five puffs a minute; a fine half hour it is. Even the last of it stays true: sweet and spicy, rich, cool and fragrant. Think G. L. Pease's Barbary Coast with less perique.

This is a toned-down version of Dummerston, another favorite. This stuff is what I came for. I like VA's and burleys, and this bests anything I've been able to mix on my own. It has enough nicotine to give me a buzz but it never numbs my tongue, nor does it bite. Vermont's best kept secret.

pipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipper (11)

This is another fine entry from Pipeworks & Wilke. I enjoy this blend of burley and naturally mildly sweet Virginias. The tastes balance and enhance each other providing a cool smoke which produces good flavor and tobacco taste. This is a good indoor/outdoor basic blend year around, and can easily be smoked all day, producing absolutely no bite. This is a staple item in my tobacco arsenal.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Mostly medium red and brown color. Combination of ribbon and small cubes.

Aroma: Pleasant aroma of nicely aged Virginia and Burley. There is a slight fruity hint here, but this might be from the Burley, which can often emit a slight hint of prunes.

Packing: Packs easily int any bowl size or shape. Needs a gentle hand to avoid overpacking.

Lighting: Lights easily, sometimes with one Vesta and a tamp and no further relight.

Initial flavor: A soft blend , but with enough flavor to keep your interest. Sweetness of Virginias mingle well with the nuttiness of Burley.

Mid-bowl: Occasional hints of strength make me think some of the Burley is dark fired, but no cigar note. Very pleasant and a good companion for working or taking a walk. Stays dry and cool, even when smoked outside. Not a very contemplative blend.

Finish: No surprises, just a bit stronger in flavor at the bottom.

Summary: If you like Burley and Virginia combinations at all, this is worth a try. Not as full as Tilbury, or Cumberland, which are more of an evening smoke IMHO. This is a good all-day blend for someone who isn't actively seeking Latakia.