The culmination of over 150 years of Master blending experience, combined into one fantastic smoking tobacco. Marrying Red and Bright Virginias, Burleys and a Black Fire Cured Cavendish with a secret Coconilla Flavoring, makes this a great all day smoke with a wonderful room aroma.

BrandHouse of Windsor
2.0
beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Very Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

I’m convinced that I smoked ghosts of Hines Mixture long before I smoked the tobacco itself. I managed to exorcise the coconut ghosts from most of the estate pipes that arrived smelling like suntan lotion. But one, a sweet old prince, is so saturated with coconut that I’ve given up trying to make it go away. I kind of like the smell. The odd thing is that I like the smell of my coconut-ghosted prince more than I like the tobacco that may have given up that ghost.

About 5 years back, I picked up little tins of most of the House of Windsor blends in a cigar shop that seemed to have been rarely visited by pipe smokers. The blends had been discontinued (again) not too long before that. With the exception of Revelation, I hadn’t gotten around to trying any of the House of Windsor revivals of various historic blends like Country Doctor, Barking Dog, Model, and Hines Mixture.

Hines was one of the first of the batch I tried and I had the same experience that most people who’ve talked about it here had. It was a very wet tobacco, probably loaded with humectants, and it gave off an intense, synthetic smelling aroma of coconut and vanilla. I soldiered on and smoked a couple bowls of the stuff, but I didn’t find it appealing. The rest of it got tossed into a jar.

I’ve dipped into my little supply of Hines at the alarmingly low rate of about twice a year since the tobacco went into the jar almost 5 years ago. But I was rummaging through some boxes today and saw the half-full jar and figured I might as well try to finish it off this holiday season. It’s a suitably “festive” aromatic, I suppose.

Hines is a dark tobacco—mostly a black Cavendish liberally doused with the supposedly famous “Coconilla” flavoring. The hybrid coconut-vanilla sauce has calmed down some over the years and most of the humectants have disappeared. As other have said, a few years spent in a jar do wonders for Hines. That said, the flavoring here is odd. It tastes like some chemist’s interpretation of coconut. It’s not completely unpleasant, but neither is it pleasant.

I know at least one fellow who says his grandfather was a constant smoker of Hines Mix and that the smell reminds him of the man. So Hines has had its fans over the years. There is at least one “Hines Mixture match” available, so anyone wishing for the joys of “Coconilla” can still find it. I think I’ll leave it behind once I’ve finished up the few bowls I have left.

Age When Smoked: 1-5 years

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Like Backwoods Piper, I am going to update my review of this blend by first saying that it tastes tons better dry. I, too, let my tin sit for a couple of years and it did dry out considerably. Thus, a cooler burn, a more appealing taste and yes, even a yearning for another bowl soon after the first.

Hines Blend is mostly Virginia/Burley with a generous touch of black fire-cured cavendish. The taste was nutty and a bit sweet. It reminds me somewhat of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic in the taste department, but perhaps a shade sweeter.

It stays lit well and does not bite even a little bit.

So, get a tin, pop the top, put the plastic cover back on and wait two years (minimum) before firing it up.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I am sorry to say yet another disappointment from HW. Again I order this blend being reminiscent of a by gone era. It also reminded me that when I started smoking my pipe I went to a local Manhattan tobacconist to find a blend worth smoking. Now this is years before all the Connoisseur Blends of today. Aroma is Fair Flavor is weak. Lets let this one fade into obscurity there are much better aromatic drugstore blends. like Dutch Masters Cherry & Whiskey for staters. And 150 years later we have come a long way with some blends that surpass these HW Blends. If I was only able to smoke these blends I would have tossed my pipe away back in 1983

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (50)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I really have to be honest I really don't care for chocolate flavored aromatics. Hines mixture is no acceptation to my dislike of these blends.

It certainly smells, tastes and burns like a drug store blend. I really don't care for the coco-nilla casing in this tobacco. The tobacco components are OK; Burly a little Virgina and perhaps a touch of cavendish. This only redeeming quality is over shadowed by the strong casing in this blend.

I can't see myself buying this aromatic again. I will pass the remainder of this tin off to my nephew he favors aromatics and may find this tobacco appealing.

11/25/06

I originally reviewed this blend in August of 05. I never gave this tin to my nephew. I happened to find it today when cleaning the cellar. I thought what the heck I'll giver another go! After a year of drying out it actually has improved into a blend that I can smoke. The coco-nilla flavor has mellowed out substantially. The smoke now has a nice nutty balance to it. I will probably finish the tin. It does have a nice pleasant room note. So the trick is: Open the tin, let it cellar a year and enjoy.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This and honey mixture both smell much better in the tin yet fail to deliver in the aroma/taste department when lit. The taste isn't sweet enough or natural enough to put up with the slight abrasiveness that these kind of aromatics can produce. If I'm going to smoke something aromatic and sweet this warm weather season I guess I'll have to stick to Edward's blends...

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful tin aromas are all well and good - but if it tastes nasty when you smoke it, who cares how nice it smelled before?

Hines is different from other tobaccos in the same way that Cross Eyed Cricket is, and I liked it about as much.

Hines presents a funky taste that doesn't seem to be able to decide what it wants to be, but it has nothing to do with tobacco.

If you insist upon trying this one, may I suggest you accompany the bowl with a nice glass of Kool-Aid, or perhaps even Hawaiian Punch....

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow, this stuff is nasty! This coconilla flavoring, whatever it is, is not for me. The ?flavor? dissipates as you progress down the bowl and evolves into a bitter and acrid smoke.

I rate this tobacco 0.0000000001 out of 10

dgifford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dgifford (8)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Hines Mixture. Halfway through the first 2oz tin, I thought it turned on me because it was biting. Nope, technique. I was enjoying it so much that I was overpuffing like a steam engine up a hill.

This is wonderful stuff! SWMBO loves the aroma. It tastes like tobacco and smells like a good quality german chocolate or black forest cake (sans cherries).

It can nip (not really bite) if attacked. I have a tendancy to inhale from time to time and it irritated my throat. Again, this is not the tobacco, this is the smoker. This tabak is a MUST TRY for all who partake. It behaves well in all sizes of pipes, including cobs. This is a true winner that needs to stay in the market.

8/10/2004: This blend turned on me, started biting and began making me physically ill. In all fairness, it may be my body chemistry, however, I PK'd my cellar and will not return.

The burley is a little nutty and the Virginias a little tangy sweet. The star flavor is the coconut and cocoa topping, which is pleasant, but wears off some as you near the end of the smoke. The finish is the problem as it gets a little harsh, though it leaves no moisture. The amount of black cavendish adds a vanilla flavor, but can nip at your tongue if you puff too fast. This is a little moister than most of the other HoW blends, which is a plus. A decent enough smoke for doing yard work or watching TV, though puff slowly as you go.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Yummy aroma! As soon as you open the tin you smell chocolate! A piece of advice though,let this breathe for about 2 hrs. before smoking and you will be rewarded with a wonderful chocolatey taste.It has a very pungent dark chocolate flavoring to it with a hint of vanilla fading in and out.It is sweet but not goopy. It is not as good as their Cappuccino,but still quite good in its own right.I love House of Windsor aromatics they are all sweet,flavorful and not artificial tasting. Definitely for the chocoholic! The ladies will love you for it! 3 of 4 aromatic stars!

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you want to try a chocolate blend, definitely try this one!

Upon opening the tin, you will be greeted with a strong black chocolate cake smell. The tobacco smells good enough to eat.

The room aroma while smoking is very pleasant. The room will smell like a chocolate cake baking in a pipe shop. When you're done smoking, a sweet tobacco smell will linger (as opposed to a lingering stale tobacco smell). Hines will generally smoke cool and dry. If you puff too fast, you will get a little moisture at the bottom of the bowl, but it's not goopy like other horrible aromatics. Needless to say, non- aromatic smokers will probably not like this blend. One word of warning: smoke this in a dedicated aromatic pipe; the coconilla will stay in your pipe.

This tobacco is perfect for the times when you have a sweet tooth and are craving a sweet dessert.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Initially I didn't care for this offering. After trying a bowl at a later date, I enjoyed the experience. My take on this blend is: A medium to strong aromatic Burley tobac with some flavored Cavendished, and a touch of Virginnia. If you are o.k. with Burley-based aromatics and don't mind a fairly strong tobacco, this is a good smoke. The back of my throat was definitely registering the strong Burley content. Not for the timid. 3 stars in the Burley/Aromatic category.

BigBen53 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBen53 (21)
Mild Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

Hines smells Good in the tin.the flavoring stay all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. aroma great in the room .on opening the tin smells wonderful and taste like chocolate or black cake.and the flavor stay with thougt out the bowl .one of the best aromatics Pipe tobacco in my book.i smoke two to three bowl a day with a Hot cup of coffee it great.one of my all day smoke it my one in aromatics I well gave it 4 star

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Hines smells wonderful in the tin, if you like the smell of coconut, and it smells great in the room at the beginning of the smoke. You can also taste a bit of the coconut flavor at the beginning of a bowl. Not long after the match, though, the flavoring burns off and what you get is a very smooth, slightly bitter, burley.

To the blend's credit, it does not smoke wet, and it won't goop up your bowl. But all in all, for me, this is an undistinguished smoke that I won't restock.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is probably the most unusual aromatics that I have smoked to date. Upon opening the tin, you will smell a strong aroma of German chocolate cake. It's flavor doesnt disappoint as the "coconilla" flavoring is strong throughout the smoke. It burns to a white ash and doesn't goop up your pipe. This is what I would classify as a dessert smoke. Perfect at the end of a meal or anytime you want a tobacco with a lot of sweet, nutty flavor.